• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TF2 Gun Mettle Update - CSGO style Skins for TF2 weapons and new maps

kenta

Has no PEINS
So is it definitely Valve servers only and not just the item server pooping itself?
There is a new permanent* HUD element that says "2 inactive contracts, press F2 to learn more", and when you press F2 it will tell you that the contracts are inactive because contracts are only active on Valve servers.

But then once you're on a Valve server and the contract is active (with a little progress bar), it never updates and just sits at 0

*Is there a way to disable it? I haven't gone digging

KarmaCow

There is a new permanent* HUD element that says "2 inactive contracts, press F2 to learn more", and when you press F2 it will tell you that the contracts are inactive because contracts are only active on Valve servers.

But then once you're on a Valve server and the contract is active (with a little progress bar), it never updates and just sits at 0

Oh well, thanks. Guess I'll skip this then.

According to other users if you reload the hud (hud_reloadscheme should be the command) the number will update

Two crashes already.

Edit: Third

What the fuck Volvo.

Mac or PC? Mac's seem to dislike this update (mine included)

ElTopo

Banned
A lot of wonkiness regarding contracts because the item servers are getting hammered... Also Valve screwed up explosion behavior quite a bit, especially when it comes to jumping. Demo sticky damage ramp up was rolled back and explosions push you the full distance regardless of how much or little your hurt box is overlapping with the blast. Gonna need a patch for this asap. :X

Not until Monday at the earliest.

SoulUnison

Banned
Wait, so you can't actually earn any of the updates new weapons or skins without paying 6 bucks?

*sigh*

Noooo, thaaaanks. :(

Acerac

Banned
Odd, I got the sniper contract and my headshots don't seem to count. Perhaps it's because I was using the Huntsman? Didn't seem to matter when I changed to the regular loadout.

Bluth54

Odd, I got the sniper contract and my headshots don't seem to count. Perhaps it's because I was using the Huntsman? Didn't seem to matter when I changed to the regular loadout.

The hud that has the contracts in game doesn't actually seem to update, you probably are still getting credit/points for the contract.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Completed both of my initial contracts with bonuses... some of my Sniper contract got rolled back one time after leaving a server, but otherwise it was fine. Needed to reload my hud to get points to update and restart the game to get the "turn in contract" prompts though.

Is it true they limited some of the jumping/surfing ability in the game?
They vastly simplified the way self-damage explosions work, probably related to the banner changes. Basically you get the max push off of any part of a blast, so that throws off all techniques like skips, ctap, pogo, walljumps, etc. Airstrafing/surfing feels the same to me though.

Hopefully it's just an oversight and they fix it. :X

pizzacat

Banned
Completed both of my initial contracts with bonuses... some of my Sniper contract got rolled back one time after leaving a server, but otherwise it was fine. Needed to reload my hud to get points to update and restart the game to get the "turn in contract" prompts though.

They vastly simplified the way self-damage explosions work, probably related to the banner changes. Basically you get the max push off of any part of a blast, so that throws off all techniques like skips, ctap, pogo, walljumps, etc. Airstrafing/surfing feels the same to me though.

Yea I felt like I was getting too high off this weak black box jump.

Bluth54

So I can't submit my contracts, is this because of the item servers?

Yeah the servers are having a lot of problems right now. Some people say restarting the game will let you submit your contracts but for some people that has reset the contracts.

TxdoHawk

I received a Mayor Revolver and a Shot in the Dark Sniper Rifle. Sniper and Spy are my two least-played classes, but at least I didn't have to blow keys on them.

Edit: All gone.

OmegaZero

Got a dumb looking shotgun skin and pistol skin.
Is there any chance to get strange unusual variants from contracts or is that just from those cases?

EDIT:
Yeah the servers are having a lot of problems right now. Some people say restarting the game will let you submit your contracts but for some people that has reset the contracts.

Restarting worked for me actually, shame it isn't applicable to everyone.

Shady859

Well they brought me back, hadn't played in about 6 months. Got 2 old country revolver skins (battle scarred & field tested) both sold darn near instantly for $1.04 back in my wallet.

Got soldier and scout contracts.

Zia

How so? Did it tank framerate or something?

It crashes constantly, usually after a death or when toggling the scoreboard. Looked at Reddit and SPUF and it's been a known issue since the patch went live hours and hours ago.

Apparently impacting Linux as well.

Shy

Quick question boys and girls.
I've completed my two contracts, can i still level up my coin. or do i have to wait until i get more contracts. ?

Fucking boo. Best part of being a soldier/demo.

Blizzard

Banned
Are the little health bars for your teammates new? You can see them through buildings while you're dead. That's a neat feature.

Lazulic

Are the little health bars for your teammates new? You can see them through buildings while you're dead. That's a neat feature.

yeah its new

did my contracts and immediately made the pass money back by selling the guns

tomislav is op

that is all

Demigod Mac

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

all 3 I've recorded yield this exception

I had an endless back and forth with Valve support on those.
They tried to blame everything but the game.

Finally I clean installed OS X and TF2 on a spare drive and booted from it - still got the crashes. After that they admitted it's a bug with VM getting overloaded.

Is your GPU Nvidia, perchance?

Blizzard

Banned
yeah its new

did my contracts and immediately made the pass money back by selling the guns

tomislav is op

that is all
How did you make that much? Someone else mentioned like 50 cents from each drop.

Also my first contract is the soldier one, and the bonus points require 30 airshot kills. I haven't managed to get a single reserve shooter kill yet, and most of the time I either instantly kill someone with a rocket or they don't bounce in the air at ALL. This seems like it will take ages. ;_;

Heavies lol?

For about a year with a combination of the GRU, Tomislav, and Sandvich, you could turn the Heavy into a class that was bad at nothing. Tomislav completely eliminated your need to pick and choose your engagements, and therefore you didn't even need a shotgun to switch to - not to mention that the damage ramp-up on the minigun is so insane that the Heavy actually consistently does more DPS at close ranges than the supposed "close-quarters king," Pyro. The GRU eliminated your slowness, and back then, the downside for them was that you'd lose health continually while using them, as opposed to the modern "take minicrits while using them." Since you didn't need a shotgun anymore, you could just take a sandvich, and also back then, picking up your own thrown sandvich didn't refill your sandvich meter, it just instantly gave you 150 health - which is way better than sitting still for three seconds to gain 300. An instant heal meant the damage taken from the GRU was negligible.

Valve eventually nerfed all three of these items, but at that point the damage had been done. The only real problem minisentries had was that yes, it was bullshit that it started with 100% of its health even when it hadn't finished building - which meant taking them out as anything except a Demoman was super irritating.

Demos, soldiers, scouts, and spies are my chosen choices for ruining it. We've covered almost everything now!

God, this kind of statement is so dumb. It's game balance discussion. People are going to have different opinions on what's OP and UP. Deal with it.

Blizzard

Banned
God, this kind of statement is so dumb. It's game balance discussion. People are going to have different opinions on what's OP and UP. Deal with it.
That was my point because of the earlier posts. Doctor Ironic didn't like heavies, other people didn't like mini sentries, and ElTopo didn't like pyros.

Since it was a discussion of game balance, we all 3 had different opionions on what's OP and UP. ;)

*edit* Or even what's fun and not fun.

Top Bottom