• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TF2 Gun Mettle Update - CSGO style Skins for TF2 weapons and new maps

Shy

That works out to 12 weeks which is under 3 months, and the campaign lasts 3 months -- seems like it might be intended to last that long.
Well i'm fucked then, i accidentally turned in a contract before i did the bonus. So i only got 230 points for this week.

derFeef

Ok, generally excited to play this again now. Just not sure about playing the contracts. I am so bad at Spy I don't want to even try it and be a loss for my team.

Shy

Ok, generally excited to play this again now. Just not sure about playing the contracts. I am so bad at Spy I don't want to even try it and be a loss for my team.
I felt the same way when i had to do a demoman contract, and i'm fucking crap with him, but i did and it didn't take too long.
Don't worry about letting down your team, because everyone else is doing the same, so don't feel bad.

Everdred

Just played for the first time in about 2 years and found out I had like $20 worth of items. Sold them all instantly, pretty happy.

Zomba13

So this morning I gave it a shot, paid for the ticket and got my contracts. I had Spy and Pyro (two classes I enjoy playing a lot) and got them fully done and the bonus objectives at the end. It was very fun though I had to take my unusual hat off because for some reason the unusual effect is broken again and it was constantly in my face while playing. The guns I got were shitty looking ones though :( old worn team coloured default revolver and sticky launcher.

Got a Factory New version of my favourite skin from the update (the Jimi Jam minigun) so I'm pretty happy, also got a Well-Worn version of the Local Hero Pistol, which also looks great imo.
All in all I'm pretty happy with my week 1 loot, and I think this was a great way of Valve to make me play TF2 again.

Zomba13

So this morning I gave it a shot, paid for the ticket and got my contracts. I had Spy and Pyro (two classes I enjoy playing a lot) and got them fully done and the bonus objectives at the end. It was very fun though I had to take my unusual hat off because for some reason the unusual effect is broken again and it was constantly in my face while playing. The guns I got were shitty looking ones though :( old worn team coloured default revolver and sticky launcher.

After that they admitted it's a bug with VM getting overloaded.

Is your GPU Nvidia, perchance?

I've got the integrated model, iris 5100.

Whats interesting is, and I should probably get around to testing this, I wasn't crashing last night on jump servers, | although I seemed to be getting performance drops occurring when looking at water or other players (though I'm not sure if it was actually the water, or just that I had a long sight line... felt like the water was causing it) | (<- It was the player's weapon causing the performance issues, as found below). Crashing only occurred when I switched over to a regular server.

Some people have guessed that it might have something todo with the new weapon swapping mechanic, which makes sense, seeing as (as far as I could tell) people weren't doing weapon swapping on the jump servers, but probably were on regular servers.

I'm no good at programming, computers, whatever, at least not yet, but when you say the VM is getting overloaded, would that mean theres a memory leak?

update:

Well sadly I didn't get enough people together to get me to crash but my FPS was taking a big hit. With just 1 other person in the server, when he had a regular weapon out my FPS was fine, but once he took out a new weapon, regardless of where he was on the map (as long as my game had that part of the map currently loaded), my FPS started fluctuating between 50 and 60. With 2 more people doing it I hit the 40's.

Assuming that half of a full server has people with these new weapons equipped, and a few people picking the weapons up off the ground, I'm surprised my game didn't hit single digits when I joined a game yesterday.

Blizzard

Banned
I got maybe the 4th rarest flamethrower and one of the most common rocket launchers as my two drops. I guess I was lucky I didn't get a case, unless cases are rare.

The flamethrower market price was over $6 at first, but people started tanking it in half very quickly so I managed to sell it for $3 instead. Between that, selling some name/description tags that I think were random drops, and selling some cards, I managed to get back over $6 in my Steam wallet.

Of course, that's permanently in the Steam wallet, so now I have to actually wait and buy some game I would have bought anyway to TRULY be in the green again. :p

Lazulic

How did you make that much? Someone else mentioned like 50 cents from each drop.

Also my first contract is the soldier one, and the bonus points require 30 airshot kills. I haven't managed to get a single reserve shooter kill yet, and most of the time I either instantly kill someone with a rocket or they don't bounce in the air at ALL. This seems like it will take ages. ;_;

sold a 5 dollar scattergun and a 50 cent medigun. definitely not worth that price to me, but im not complaining. seems you already figured this out though

-MD-

Also my first contract is the soldier one, and the bonus points require 30 airshot kills. I haven't managed to get a single reserve shooter kill yet, and most of the time I either instantly kill someone with a rocket or they don't bounce in the air at ALL. This seems like it will take ages. ;_;

This was one of my contracts as well and I'm pretty sure in my 900 hours I've NEVER shot a target in the air with my sidearm, Soldier is one of my least played classes.

That said, I managed to get it done within 2-3 matches using the blackbox and reserve shooter.

Blizzard

Banned
This was one of my contracts as well and I'm pretty sure in my 900 hours I've NEVER shot a target in the air with my sidearm, Soldier is one of my least played classes.

That said, I managed to get it done within 2-3 matches using the blackbox and reserve shooter.
The black box has the same damage and radius as the normal rocket launcher, right? My problem was that I'd either kill people instantly, or not launch them in the air. If I did manage to launch someone, I had to be practically ambush pyro range to kill them with 1-2 reserve shooter shots, otherwise the spread was too much even with the minicrit.

I think I had better luck just shooting people like scouts who were jumping anyway, since my popup rocket aim is so horrible. :p

I was going to mention but GAF was down yesterday: the vitasaw is bugged right now. I tested a couple of times and I'm 99% positive that I died with 28% charge and spawned with 0% charge.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Update's live.

Valve
- Temporarily limited OS X clients to medium texture quality to resolve random crashes while work is done on a permanent fix
- Fixed a random crash that affected OSX only
- Updated the collision geometry for the turbines in Powerhouse
- Dropped weapons now retain their ammo and ÜberCharge levels unless the player commits suicide
- Valve official quickplay and matchmaking servers are no longer listed in the server browser
- Players no longer drop their weapons in MvM
- Pressing the action key will now try to pick up a dropped weapon before trying to use an item in the action slot
- Spies can no longer pick up weapons when disguised or cloaked
- Using the mouse to select enemy players on the scoreboard no longer improperly reveals their class
- Fixed players dropping multiple instances of the same weapon at once
- Fixed unintended changes to rocket and other explosive jumping behavior
- Fixed dropped weapons occasionally using an incorrect skin
- Fixed an issue that was causing the particle effects on Unusual hats to sometimes draw in first-person for the owner, or not draw at all to others
- Fixed an issue that prevented Huntsman arrows from damaging enemy Engineer buildings
- Fixed weapons with attached models (e.g. Festive weapons, Kritzkrieg, and Botkillers) not rendering their attachments
- Fixed spies that have picked up a dropped Your Eternal Reward or Wanga Prick being able to manually disguise
- Fixed Spy sometimes not being able to use the Disguise Kit after picking up a new Knife
- Fixed newly created items not becoming Strange quality, despite receiving the ability to track kills. Existing items in this state will not be retroactively fixed.
- Fixed skinned weapons appearing differently after being traded or listed on the Steam Community Market. Affected items have been reverted to their original (permanent) appearance.
- Fixed being able to craft some previously un-craftable items
- Fixed a client crash related to Killstreak Fabricators and Chemistry Kits
- Fixed a client crash related to particles
- Fixed the Vitasaw no longer giving its ÜberCharge bonus after death
- Fixed issues related to picking up dropped weapons while zoomed in with a Sniper Rifle
- Fixed a bug that caused the Shortstop to reload faster than normal
- Fixed dropped energy weapons not being able to fire after being picked up
- Fixed some weapons not displaying their charge meters after being picked up
- Fixed the box used in the Box Trot taunt sometimes being the wrong color
- Steam Community Market
- Fixed skinned items appearing as "Decorated Item"
- Items that are temporarily un-tradable can now properly be listed on the market

They fixed rocket jumping as far as I can tell, but sticky/basher jumping's still wonky. At least we know for sure the changes in that department were unintentional, Valve'll get there. :p

Zia

So are the community maps now permanent fixtures? I had misgivings about Suijin and after playing it hoo boy was I right. The bare minimum has done to make it thematically cohesive (at least themed maps like Lakeside were really clever in tying into the world), it's actually kind of ugly and angular and not at all in line with the TF2 aesthetic, it's pretty poorly designed (Snipers for miles) and it runs like shit.

Also, why does my personal scoreboard now have bright green numbers that clash with every single other thing in the UI?

I think Valve has way too many engineers and programmers making decisions that harm the aesthetic of the game because Data.

Edit: Also, I was in a game where I was killed a handful of times by a Soldier with a launcher skin that made it look like a Rocket Jumper from afar. What the fuck, Valve?

Blizzard

Banned
Update's live.

They fixed rocket jumping as far as I can tell, but sticky/basher jumping's still wonky. At least we know for sure the changes in that department were unintentional, Valve'll get there. :p
Sweet, there's the Vitasaw fix already.

- Valve official quickplay and matchmaking servers are no longer listed in the server browser
We were talking about this in the other thread. Is there a reason for this? It seems impossible to sort the quick play lists by ping so it's really annoying that you can't use the server browser to find servers anymore.

Bluth54

So are the community maps now permanent fixtures? I had misgivings about Suijin and after playing it hoo boy was I right. The bare minimum has done to make it thematically cohesive (at least themed maps like Lakeside were really clever in tying into the world), it's actually kind of ugly and angular and not at all in line with the TF2 aesthetic, it's pretty poorly designed (Snipers for miles) and it runs like shit.

Honestly no one knows at this point, not even the map authors are sure what will happens to these maps when the event is over. One of the authors of Snowplow has emailed Valve to ask them but he probably wont get a response until next week.

Apparently they basically just added the workshop map file to the game for these maps with all of the custom assets packed into the file instead of putting all of assets into the TF2 file system like the normally do, which is why sometimes people are having problems with invisible assets on some of these maps. Also they didn't add load screens to these maps, however I don't think the Valve map got a load screen either.

In the past Valve outright bought a map for several thousand dollars and then setup the map stamp payments, for these maps all the money is coming directly from the sales of the coin for the event (which will probably actually turn out to be a lot more then the lump sum and the map stamps in the end).

Personally my guess is that this is Valve's new way of buying maps and they'll just be in the regular rotation once the event is done, but it's impossible to say at this point because they way they added the maps into the file system is different then other custom maps.

If they are only official for 3 months Valve is probably going to have a shitstorm on their hands that will make the anger from the End of the Line update not shipping with Snowplow look small in comparison. Valve has never removed official maps from the game before in 8 years and I can't imagine the community will take it very well.

I also don't love Suijin all that much, that author has a 2 point CP A/D map in the upward art style that I like a lot better and I wish they had made that official instead. Maybe next time.

Grabbed the Box Trot, converted some MGS audio files, ready to roll.

Honestly this is the best solution as the game still runs like ass after the update :p

But at least I'm not crashing anymore... but I still can't activate missions :p

Edit: Also, I was in a game where I was killed a handful of times by a Soldier with a launcher skin that made it look like a Rocket Jumper from afar. What the fuck, Valve?

Oh damn, I saw that last night too! (Doubt it was the same one, but still.) It was extremely confusing.

Blizzard

Banned
One of the most confusing things for me was spawning with a kritzkrieg that looked like a medigun when I spawned. But when I used it, nope, crits. I'm assuming that was a bug though.

Honestly no one knows at this point, not even the map authors are sure what will happens to these maps when the event is over. One of the authors of Snowplow has emailed Valve to ask them but he probably wont get a response until next week.

Apparently they basically just added the workshop map file to the game for these maps with all of the custom assets packed into the file instead of putting all of assets into the TF2 file system like the normally do, which is why sometimes people are having problems with invisible assets on some of these maps. Also they didn't add load screens to these maps, however I don't think the Valve map got a load screen either.

In the past Valve outright bought a map for several thousand dollars and then setup the map stamp payments, for these maps all the money is coming directly from the sales of the coin for the event (which will probably actually turn out to be a lot more then the lump sum and the map stamps in the end).

Personally my guess is that this is Valve's new way of buying maps and they'll just be in the regular rotation once the event is done, but it's impossible to say at this point because they way they added the maps into the file system is different then other custom maps.

If they are only official for 3 months Valve is probably going to have a shitstorm on their hands that will make the anger from the End of the Line update not shipping with Snowplow look small in comparison. Valve has never removed official maps from the game before in 8 years and I can't imagine the community will take it very well.

I also don't love Suijin all that much, that author has a 2 point CP A/D map in the upward art style that I like a lot better and I wish they had made that official instead. Maybe next time.
There'd be no reason to remove the maps. Maybe remove them from official server rotation, but outright removing the maps from the files is not only pointless, but it would only serve to anger the community.

Especially after denying Snowplow once before, only for it to come back, and then go away again, would be a rollercoaster of stupid that the community would feel outraged over.

Shady859

Looks like the new gun cases are in the market for sale $8/$13 are they random drops in game or contract rewards? Sucks us people who got in early missed them in contracts if that's what they were intended for.

I've played about a metric ass ton the last couple days since Gun Mettle brought me back lol itching to bust a few crates but no way at these prices. :/

EDIT: no hard facts but in game chatter says a 3rd contract is popping up for people that gives a case. FALSE still random
I DID get a 3rd contract. :)

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Can confirm - my cousin and I both finished our 3rd contracts and got cases from them. He unboxed a strange though and I didn't. :(

Also, Engineer contract is the worst, goodness... I just sat around Rescue Rangering forever. >.<

Xizk

The third contracts are not guaranteed to drop cases. I didn't get one but did at least get a flame thrower worth 2€ so now I have already made a profit from the operation.

Shady859

Cashed in my 3rd contract and got the worst damn civil servant medigun.... Cases random as random :/

I had Engineer contract did it + bonus in 3 rounds, play on Japanese map and collect 5 pieces with maxed sentry in middle house.

Jarate

Banned
Powerhouse is a horrid map in every coceivable way

Wtf was Valve doing

Also game has been crashing like mad

-MD-

I really like that Suijin map.

And I ended up getting a case for my 3rd contract, sold that for 6 bucks on the market.

Got a case fot my new contract, sold it for more than I paid for the contract pass.
Now I don't feel bad anymore about spending money on this update haha.

-MD-

Curious if they plan on increasing the number of contracts per week as they stated we'd only get 2/week but we've already been given 3.

Does levelling up the coin net you anything? Or just a shinier coin?

Don't think we'll know until someone levels it up. Everyone's at 390/1000 right now.

Javaman

One of the most confusing things for me was spawning with a kritzkrieg that looked like a medigun when I spawned. But when I used it, nope, crits. I'm assuming that was a bug though.

Yeah, that was driving me crazy on the first night. Seems to be fixed now though. At least in the last game I played post most recent patch.

Bluth54

There'd be no reason to remove the maps. Maybe remove them from official server rotation, but outright removing the maps from the files is not only pointless, but it would only serve to anger the community.

Especially after denying Snowplow once before, only for it to come back, and then go away again, would be a rollercoaster of stupid that the community would feel outraged over.

Yeah I think they will go into the normal rotation when the event is over and Valve is just calling them featured community maps because they are running special Gun Mettle servers for them.

Top Bottom