• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 13 Best Comedy Specials on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

We are entering the final phase of Netflix’s plan for (comedy) world domination. Tuesday marks the release of not just one, but two new hours from Dave Chappelle, the reclusive master who hasn’t released a new recording in more than a decade. The specials join an already formidable archive of both originals and classics that Netflix has been building for years. It’s part of a tried-and-true strategy for a platform trying to establish itself as a prestige brand: start with cheap and easy-to-produce films by entertainers who write their own material, then expand into making your own.

As we bide our time between new Chappelle and the next slew of trump cards in Netflix’s deck, including specials from Chris Rock and Louis C.K., here’s a curated list of the very best stand-up available for your streaming pleasure. All the laughs of live comedy with none of the two-drink minimums, starting with:

Nice queue fodder for those looking for more standup. List at the link.

I love this description of Eddie Murphy's Delirious:

That red leather suit! It’s the perfect visual shorthand for stand-up’s 1980s boom — sort of like our own, but with more brick walls and cocaine. Peretti referenced it in her fabulous cold open; it’s the indirect namesake of Amy Schumer’s Leather Special (as in, every comic has a special where they’re decked out in leather). And it’s the fire-engine hue that functions as a visual signal that we’re definitely no longer on NBC, where Murphy had established himself by almost single-handedly propping up SNL during Lorne Michael’s infamous five-year absence. The sheer volume of profanity is remarkable even by today’s standards, as is the way Murphy uses it: Delirious hails from a decidedly pre-woke era of homophobic, misogynistic comedy. But this is undoubtedly a master at work, a height Murphy’s recent career decisions have made all too easy to forget.

https://theringer.com/best-netflix-...urphy-hannibal-buress-7e9af21f5688#.mrkb5bwm4

Volimar

Some good picks. All the John Mulaney specials are good. Also there's a Craig Ferguson special for fans of his. I liked the Mike Birbiglia specials too. And Gaffigan if you like his stuff. Gabriel Iglesias has his moments. Iliza Shlesinger(sic) if you like feminist-ish stuff.

Neal Brennan's 3 mics is powerful and funny. I very very highly recommend that.

Fat4all

Banned
Mike Birbiglia is wonderful. I've been following his work for a long time and his latest special was great.

Permanently A

Aziz Ansari doesn't belong on any list , unless it's "somewhat famous people who can't stop talking about their egregiously famous friends"

Loxley

"Make Happy" is one of my most recent favorites. Half of it is more performance art than straight-up comedy.

Blackage

I highly recommend people check out Michael Che: Matters I found it hysterically funny and he's for the most part unknown. Every time I recommend it people have no idea who I'm talking about, give it a go!

I highly recommend people check out Michael Che: Matters I found it hysterically funny and he's for the most part unknown. Every time I recommend it people have no idea who I'm talking about, give it a go!
Michae Che is hilarious but is he that unknown? Dude is on SNL after all.

Fat4all

Banned
"Make Happy" is one of my most recent favorites. Half of it is more performance art than straight-up comedy.

Yeah, "Make Happy" feels like something Bo had been building up to for a while now, or at least since Words Words Words.

It's very passionate and hilarious.

G0523

Glad to see Chelsea Peretti up there. Her stand-up special was so amazing!

I am surprised that I didn't see any Iliza Shlesinger specials on the list. She has three specials on Netflix but I think I like her "Freezing Hot" special the best. She's so manic and crazy on stage, I love it!

Phased

Aziz makes the list but Bill Burr doesn't? His latest special wasn't that great but he has 2 really good ones before that.

Can't argue with most of these though, Ali Wong's standup surprised me with how good it was and I second Michael Che Matters since someone mentioned it already.

Netflix has a pretty big variety of great standup for most comedy tastes, though. If you like offensive comedy it's there, if you like family friendly comedy they have Gaffigan and others.

see5harp

I also really enjoyed Neal Brennan. It was a unique setup which I give props for. Disagree about Aziz. I think he peaked really early. It was only after he did a few where I grew tired of his formula. I know it's sacrilege to say but I felt the same way (to a lesser degree) with the last few Louis CK specials. They were good but not great.

Glad to see Chelsea Peretti up there. Her stand-up special was so amazing!

I am surprised that I didn't see any Iliza Shlesinger specials on the list. She has three specials on Netflix but I think I like her "Freezing Hot" special the best. She's so manic and crazy on stage, I love it!

I'll concur on the Chelsea Peretti stand-up. Loved it!

Bo Burnham is more about putting on a show than doing comedy. In the same vein Dimitri Martin did a special like a year or two ago that was fantastic. I hadn't seen or heard of him in a while and expected it to be pretty mediocre but it was damn good.

Anthony Jeselnik is probably my favorite comedian these days. He's ruthless. If you have Spotify they have 2 of his specials on there, and they are both incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom