• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 360 Games on Demand Thread of UnUnified Prices, Releases & Paying Way Over Retail

cjelly said:
Lol.

It's not even the GOTY version.

wow that's shitty

does mass effect even include bringing down the sky?

and i love the FAQ msft has up for games on demand. "need more space? just buy one of our super affordable harddrives or delete some shit!!" :lol

aries_71

I'm sure this service it will not be a huge success, but it won't fail either.

First, you are disregarding impulse buying. Many people will buy games through impulse, that would not if they had to drive a car 20 Km, go to a shopping center, deal with it, fetch the thing, do the line and drive 20 Km back.

As prices go, what they offer in Market Place for Spain has the exact same prices for buying them new in a store (all of them are 29.90 Euros new in the FNAC, GameStop, or El Corte Inglés). True, you lose the ability to resell them back, but many of us have never done that. When I buy a game, or a book, I want to keep it (in fact, I'm replaying games that I bought two years ago). And you gain the ability to redownload the game if something breaks in your side.

It doesn't really seem as bad, at least with my local prices.

The funny thing about this, is the more you bitch, the more it shows how much of a success it will be.

Why? Because it shows you care. And caring = demand.

To illustrate. Nobody really complained about Xbox Originals because nobody really cared about the service. Even though it was implemented poorly, nobody cared enough to really cause a big ruckus/fuss.

However, people are getting really worked up about the pricing of GoD. What this means is these worked up people REALLY want to purchase these DD games, but the games are $5, $10, $20 too expensive for them, that's where all the frustration comes from. However, this big demand is probably representative of the wider audience, but the frustration may not be. Other people may not have the same aversion to that extra $10 premium because of the benefits they value.

Conclusion: This will do a lot better than bomb. Doubtful it will be a MASSIVE success, but I think it's going to be a moderate success at least with some pricing adjustments in the future, but nothing drastic.

edit: $40 for Oblivion!! Insane.
$20 for Burnout Paradise, BF: BC, and Rainbox Six... not bad at all.

yeah i really DO want to buy some games from this service but the prices of the games + msft's insane prices for harddrives means i won't be

Shamrock

Banned
You know they seem to lower prices when shit on market place bombs. Problem is there are still way to many people who pay cut throat prices for over priced shit. If people could control themselves then this price structure would correct itself. Of course though MS is going to start high to see what they can get away with, lasso in the suckers, etc

I guess I'd like to know whats wrong with MS and game developers passing on the saving to us? I mean no packaging, no shipping, no discs, etc. Is it so fucking hard to ask for a small discount instead of them actually charging more than discs.

Simple math lower price = more sales

100 sales @ 20 bucks = 2000
200 sales @ 15 bucks = 3000

Why does MS just assume they would not have more sales if the games priced more reasonably? Instead they price it like crooks and out of spite I buy nothing. Just like I don't touch their TV seasons for not giving full season discounts.

pr0cs

Omar Ismail said:
The funny thing about this, is the more you bitch, the more it shows how much of a success it will be.

Why? Because it shows you care. And caring = demand.

I'm not sure I see the correlation. There is a fine line that people will cross/not-cross depending on price and these values are way beyond that line. Quite frankly the only people I know that would bite are those that are too far from a retail store but have a decent network connection.

It's a great idea, there are a few titles on that list I'd like to buy but never bought retail but there is no way I'm paying more than what's generally considered retail for them.

Microsoft is on the right track, they just need to adjust the prices.
They should have priced the 'originals' games around 400 points and I suspect they would have been a lot more popular too.

Mrbob

MS are phasing out Xbox originals due to low sales. No new games coming. Sales were bad, yet MS didn't mount any effort to try and rejuvinate those sales. Perhaps they will be happy with the paltry amount of sales games on demand will get.

cjelly said:
Lol.

It's not even the GOTY version.

I noticed that. What the heck. :x

I would use this just because it's easy for impulse buys which I would likely regret later, but the quickness of the whole process is like me and Steam where I buy tons of shit that never gets played. Though because of the hdd limits, I won't be using it, too expensive.

Droog

travisbickle said:
I can't believe a publisher is asking for anything near that amount for Microsoft to put it online.

For a retail game the publisher pays for manufacture, distribution, advertising, licensing fees... these are 2-3 year old games we are talking about, to be distributed digitally, I think Microsoft is making the fair share of money here, they wouldn't be doing it if they weren't.

Of course they would - MS want to keep good relations with third parties, they can't just put games up for distribution without permission! Do you think MS chose the GonD launch titles - or the publishers of said titles? The retailers need to be appeased also and this is the other reason why older games have been chosen.

Droog

Shamrock said:
Simple math lower price = more sales

100 sales @ 20 bucks = 2000
200 sales @ 15 bucks = 3000

Why does MS just assume they would not have more sales if the games priced more reasonably?

It's possible that research has shown that they could make greater total profit by charging more to a smaller audience as compared to big audience w/ lower prices.

It seems slightly counter-intuitive at first but this does actually happen in business and I've seen it on several occasions at my own company.

pr0cs said:
It's a great idea, there are a few titles on that list I'd like to buy but never bought retail but there is no way I'm paying more than what's generally considered retail for them.

Microsoft is on the right track, they just need to adjust the prices.
They should have priced the 'originals' games around 400 points and I suspect they would have been a lot more popular too.

Pricing is a very complicated problem, especially in a heterogeneous environment like Xbox Live.

It's my firm belief that publishers are setting the price of games. And I believe that publishers are setting the price high because they're scared of retail. Notice how the smaller publishers like Bethesda are pricing their games insanely high, while EA who is a huge publisher and really doesn't fear retailers is pricing their games very reasonably.

On the other hand you have the overall pricing ecosystem to contend with. Everything from Avatar items, Indie Games, Movies, TV Shows, game add-ons, Xbox Originals, Xbox Live Arcade titles.

I mean right now, I see Battlefield: BC priced at $20CAD, it's making me A LOT less likely to buy BF1943 for $15.

Furthermore, if I can buy Ninja Gaiden Black for 400 points, then why the hell would I spend 150/300 points on some horse armor?

How to manage all of these prices I'm sure is an insanely complicated problem. Therefore MS will pick its priorities and some things will suffer. i.e. MS cares a lot more about DLC add-ons and avatar items, so it won't price Xbox Originals in that space, therefore Xbox Originals become overpriced.

etc etc.

I just can't wait for all the fighting games to be available. Having VF5, Tekken 6, SF4, MvC2, Soul Calibur 4, KOFXII all available on my HDD at any time to play with friends, or online is ridiculously awesome.

Aaron

BenjaminBirdie said:
I meant if there's a problem like if the file gets corrupt, I can just download another one. Refundable was the wrong word.

Example: My 360 ate my Mass Effect disc. I was out $60. If my hard drive shits the bed, I'm not out $20.
Pretty sure either MS or EA will replace the disc in this case. It's a slower solution, but you wouldn't be SOL either. It's also an odd argument when in most cases you can buy two physical copies of the game for the same price as these digital downloads.

Meh, I like the EA pricing. I might pick up Most Wanted, as gamestop's used price is $2 less, and amazon has it for $11 used with no manual +3.99 shipping. The price difference is negligible for a DD copy I can keep on my hard drive, especially using a coupon at BB for 1600 points for $18 this weekend.

aries_71

Aaron said:
Pretty sure either MS or EA will replace the disc in this case. It's a slower solution, but you wouldn't be SOL either. It's also an odd argument when in most cases you can buy two physical copies of the game for the same price as these digital downloads.

Maybe that's a reality in your country. In mine, you have a theoretical 90 day guarantee starting from the day of purchase. If you kept the receipt, that is. And if you find it at home. And if you can show that the media was originally defective, and it was not your console the one that scratched it.

Even if they want to play nice, and send you a new copy, you will be out of a game during many, many weeks, since they will use the cheapest snail-mail available.

Until Microsoft resolves the hard drive space issue, its full game downloads will continue to be slow. People just don't have the space to store that much stuff. Silly really, since you can get a 1TB drive from newegg for $65, yet the Xbox drive is $130 for 120 gigs.

SonOfABeep said:
Meh, I like the EA pricing. I might pick up Most Wanted, as gamestop's used price is $2 less, and amazon has it for $11 used with no manual +3.99 shipping. The price difference is negligible for a DD copy I can keep on my hard drive, especially using a coupon at BB for 1600 points for $18 this weekend.

I already brought that one up. I don't think anyone's getting convinced if they're against it, just like you or I couldn't be convinced that $20 is too much to spend for it.

AkuMifune

Banned
Just for the OP, Mass Effect, Oblivion and Bioshock are all $840 NT on the Taiwan store, or roughly $25.50 (about 2010 ms points?) I didn't check the rest, but I could if anyone cared, which I doubt. :D

schick85

TwIsTeD said:
so do we have confirmation that all games are region free?
Check out the region compatibilty list on playasia. You'll only be able to download games from your region. Live won't let you download different region games even if the game itself isn't region locked.

Station42

I understand that MAYBE this is more profitable but you should consider company image aswell.
I know I open Steam more happily because of their price policies, and I'm more prone to consider buying because I feel in a friendly/convenient situation.

I don't know this pricing just seems insane.

Well I went shopping recently and to my surprise. Bioshock is still MSRP 29.99 in most stores.

I even saw Battlefield Bad Company as high as 30 bucks :/

You can't expect them to go lower than retail prices for reasons outlined in the thread already.

Arpharmd B said:
Well I went shopping recently and to my surprise. Bioshock is still MSRP 29.99 in most stores.

I even saw Battlefield Bad Company as high as 30 bucks :/

You can't expect them to go lower than retail prices for reasons outlined in the thread already.
yep thats what I noticed too, these games pretty much matches regular retail prices, yes you can find lower prices used, or companies putting them on sale or clearing stock . maybe GOD will have sales too. I hope.

borsdy

Banned
schick85 said:
Live won't let you download different region games even if the game itself isn't region locked.
This region-specific digitally downloaded content shenanigens on PSN/Live is fucking annoying bullshit.

Is there still a community online for Bad Company? Either online, or on GAF? I'm thinking of jumping into it. If there isn't, I'll just get Most Wanted.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
30 € is way to much for me. M$ should lower the price to at least 20 € - better 15 €. I'd buy 3-4 games right away. But 30 € for a 2-3 year old game? Fuck you M$!!

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Is there still a community online for Bad Company? Either online, or on GAF? I'm thinking of jumping into it. If there isn't, I'll just get Most Wanted.
I haven't played it in a couple months, but it was fine. Most shooters on 360 still have communities, I'd bet even R6: Vegas 1 still has folks playing.

And fuck me if I'm not tempted to buy Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect.

MMaRsu

Banned
Jet Grind Radio! said:

GAF yes, and online too I believe :).

Hell there's even a community for Shadowrun ( which is awesome :D )

Kryten

New Zealand also has Meet the Robinsons, for 6000 points or NZD$109.95. I am not making that up. Saints Row is 3000 points, the same price (NZD$49.95) that I got a copy of Saints Row 2 for earlier today.

Gowans

Updated the OP.

Don't know if there's enough demand for this threads Op to be kept up to date tho, outside the discussion we have about the laughable price points.

Let me know and if there are more silly prices to add to the op I'm missing.

Accident

2 new overpriced games:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter $30
Splinter Cell D.A. (Can't check price, it's not available in my region)

If you guys want lower prices, buy the low price games and don't buy the high price ones. It's that simple. Every purchase of a 20 dollar game is a vote for more 20 dollar games. Every purchase for anything higher is a vote for just that. Microsoft doesn't know how to price these things so they're experimenting. Let them know with your wallets.
Burnout Paradise for 20 bucks seems right to me. So, i'll be getting that soon.

CultureClearance said:
If you guys want lower prices, buy the low price games and don't buy the high price ones. It's that simple. Every purchase of a 20 dollar game is a vote for more 20 dollar games. Every purchase for anything higher is a vote for just that. Microsoft doesn't know how to price these things so they're experimenting. Let them know with your wallets.
Burnout Paradise for 20 bucks seems right to me. So, i'll be getting that soon.

The prices are fine in the USA. Exactly the same as retail. The only exception is titles like COD2 which haven't been on shelves for 3 years. 30 is a complete ripoff for that.

I am going to get Ridge Racer. I'll wait for Bioshock to drop to 20$. Will probably happen when Bioshock 2 comes out.

Mass Effect, Burnout Paradise, Battlefield Bad Company, Burnout Revenge, Ridge Racer, Kameo, Viva Pinata... all good games, all reasonably priced. You can't expect 10 and 15 dollar retail games, that would start making XBLA games look like a total ripoff. Even now, it's kind of absurd you can get BF: Bad Company for 5 dollars more than BF:1943.

MMaRsu said:
Huelen bought Sonic :( :lol

bkfount said:
Of course not. Shivering Isles is still $30 by itself.
the entire game with expansions was at best buy for 29.99 for 360. it was the same price for the ps3 one and it didnt have shivering isles.

Top Bottom