• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 360 Games on Demand Thread of UnUnified Prices, Releases & Paying Way Over Retail

Mrbob

Yeah prices on GoD are a joke. Even worse is that they usually don't include extras that retail packages have. For example I used my Holiday Bundle token for Alan Wake and it doesn't come with the first DLC pack which is free in retail copies. That is lame. Alan Wake is 19.99 on amazon and you get the token for the first DLC or you can pay 29.99 on GoD and you don't get a token with it. Get with the program MS. I'd buy more titles on GoD if they were more competitively priced and had all the extras retail package contains.

Sharkington said:
They just added Super Street Fighter IV for $39.99. That was the release price back in April 2010.

I don't want anymore discs for my 360, so I'm willing to pay for a digital version if that's what I have to do, but fuck this. The disc is $15.99 brand new on Amazon. No tax, free two-day shipping.

I guess I'm never buying that game, then.

Why don't you want discs? Won't you miss out on pretty much all games if you rely on GoD?

Dark Octave said:
Why is Operation Darkness $40?? I saw it brand new at Gamestop for $20. And from what I understand, the game did poorly in reviews and sales.

Why is Red Dead Redemption $60 on Games on Demand?? Is MS serious?
It's the publishers who set the prices, not MS.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Well, our Games on Demand portfolio in Brazil is ridiculously small yet, but every week we get one or two additions. Here are the current games and their prices in Brazilian reais:

R$ 39,00
BioShock
Ghostbusters: The Game
Mass Effect

R$ 59,00
Halo Wars

R$ 79,00
Crackdown 2
Dante's Inferno
Halo 3
Need for Speed: Shift
Super Street Fighter IV

R$ 119,00
Battlefield: Bad Company 2

R$ 159,00
Red Dead Redemption
Transformers: War For Cybertron

Captain N

I just bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 and it didn't come with a VIP Code. I contacted ea support and they told me I need to buy that too if I want it.

Captain N said:
I just bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 and it didn't come with a VIP Code. I contacted ea support and they told me I need to buy that too if I want it.
lol wow, so the digital version doesn't come with a VIP code? that is beyond shitty service.

Mrbob

Captain N said:

That is terrible. For all the advancements MS has made with online, it amazes me how big a step back GoD is. They are treating a new paying customer like they rented the game or bought it used. Do any of the digital items contain the extra content found in retail boxes? I fear a MS nickel and dime future if they go digital.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Was shocked to find super street fighter 4 quite a bit cheaper on there than it is at retail (apart from eBay). I assumed it was a mistake :LOL

Captain N

Mrbob said:
That is terrible. For all the advancements MS has made with online, it amazes me how big a step back GoD is. They are treating a new paying customer like they rented the game or bought it used. Do any of the digital items contain the extra content found in retail boxes? I fear a MS nickel and dime future if they go digital.

Actually the Ubisoft games don't let you play online with people playing on the retail discs. You can only play with those who have it from on demand as well.

Mrbob

Wow I didn't even know they segmented their own 360 user base. Really not sure why MS is approving doing the things they are with GoD.

Curufinwe

Mrbob said:
Yeah prices on GoD are a joke. Even worse is that they usually don't include extras that retail packages have. For example I used my Holiday Bundle token for Alan Wake and it doesn't come with the first DLC pack which is free in retail copies. That is lame. Alan Wake is 19.99 on amazon and you get the token for the first DLC or you can pay 29.99 on GoD and you don't get a token with it. Get with the program MS. I'd buy more titles on GoD if they were more competitively priced and had all the extras retail package contains.

I just ordered Alan Wake from Amazon for this week for that very reason, but the original Dead Space is only $19.99 on GoD which is the same as it costs at Amazon.

I probably would have bought it a while back if I knew it was only $20, even though I already played Dead Space on PC. But Alan Wake and Katamari Forever should be arriving from Amazon either tomorrow or on Saturday, so I'll pass.

[EDIT] I see from the last page that Dead Space has actually being available for $20 for more than a year. Oh well.

Roquentin

I've noticed there was a price drop for GoD on Polish marketplace and Red Dead Redemption is now cheaper than at retail (when buying with MSP).

However some of the comments in this thread are worrying. Does anyone know if there is something missing in digital version of RDR when compared to the retail one or are they exactly the same?

exwallst

AndyMoogle said:
It's the publishers who set the prices, not MS.

While they, of course, work with publishers, I'm pretty sure MS sets prices. I think, under the law, MS is the 'retailer.' And the retailer is the only one who can set prices. This is why you see 'suggested retail price,' etc. Price fixing, collusion complaints are taken seriously in the U.S.

BiasedGamer said:
I've noticed there was a price drop for GoD on Polish marketplace and Red Dead Redemption is now cheaper than at retail (when buying with MSP).

However some of the comments in this thread are worrying. Does anyone know if there is something missing in digital version of RDR when compared to the retail one or are they exactly the same?
RDR will have the same content as the vanilla RDR retail version.

Some of the games are way over priced, *SIGH*.

I never purchased a game yet but I was looking for some yesterday.

Alpha Protocol - not available
Fallout 3 - $40, pass
Halo Wars - $35, pass

Also I got a question. I have North American accounts, both American and Canadian. I am visiting my grandparents in India, got bored and bought an X360 here. It is an asian make with PAL region coding. If I download any game from games on demand, will the PAL xbox let me play the game? Obviously I will be downloading from my North American account and it will have NTSC as the region code.

Any experiences at all in the past?

Kujo

Split/Second is up! :)

33e3qdl.jpg

:/

They just added MLB 2K9 to 360 Games on Demand for...$30.

A 2-year old baseball game that 2K has already disabled a lot of the online features for.

$30.

Daigoro

holy shit at the revelations on this last page. i havent been keeping up because the serives is complete shit, but WOW.

this is just staggeringly bad. fuck 360 GOD right in the ass.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mojo said:

yuck, a game not worth 3 dollars much less $30 or -wtf- $99 in funny money

this is just staggeringly bad. fuck 360 GOD right in the ass.

The GFW marketplace seems to be just as out of touch ($40 for DIRT 2???, it's $20 on Steam), Microsauce has a long way to go (or they will just find a way to fuck the money out of us)

Gowans

Man after two years you would think they would have there shit together. I would love to get rid of my discs for some games I'll always play or have lots of DLC for (Super Street Fighter, Borderlands, BFBC2 etc.) but the prices are from a little to a lot too much still.

There are some ok deals I can see every now and then, maybe it's worth a thread just to point out the 'reasonable' ones?

EDIT:
Done it http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426567

Kujo

Alright, while looking for suggestions for your thread, there was a lot that made me cringe, but this takes the cake:

2cfz7l4.jpg

what the fuck

Kujo

Curufinwe said:
Yeah, I know. I grew up in NZ using DD/MM/YYYY.
*high five*

Kafel said:
It seems that resellers put a bit of pressure on MS in Australia, lol.
The thing is, stores were selling it for $79 on release, Game have it for $44 right now, BigW had it for $38, GamesPlus has it now for $29 even.

-PXG-

MLB 2K9, Tales of Vesperia and Raiden IV have been added to the Marketplace. MLB and Tales are 30 bucks while Raiden is 40. That's right....40 motherfucking dollars. What a load of shit. Good thing you can get a brand new, physical copy for half the price :p

This cracked me up too.

2lues8.jpg

Curufinwe

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is now available on GoD for the frankly unbelievable price of $59.99.

box50centbloodonthesand.jpg

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/50-Cent-BotS/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025451083b

I'm actually sitting here with the 360 on debating whether to grab Just Cause 2 for $29.99. That's only a couple of bucks more than Amazon are charging for it, and it seems like a great game to have on the hard drive to mess around with for an hour or two every so often.

IrishNinja

aw, what the fuck? it's a really fun game (especially co-op, like a GoW reskin) but you can find it used for less than $20. that price is retarded.

Curufinwe said:
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is now available on GoD for the frankly unbelievable price of $59.99.

box50centbloodonthesand.jpg

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/50-Cent-BotS/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025451083b

I'm actually sitting here with the 360 on debating whether to grab Just Cause 2 for $29.99. That's only a couple of bucks more than Amazon are charging for it, and it seems like a great game to have on the hard drive to mess around with for an hour or two every so often.

LMAO - I have passed this game off at 14 CDN dollars BNIB.

DJ_Lae

Holy fuck.

I bought a couple of copies of Blood on the Sand a few months ago (at Future Shop) for two bucks.

$1.99.

Chris R

Kinda glad that the GamesOnDemand store doesn't take points, otherwise I would have made a few bad purchases. Sucks having points burning holes in your pockets though :(

RetroMG

rhfb said:
Kinda glad that the GamesOnDemand store doesn't take points, otherwise I would have made a few bad purchases. Sucks having points burning holes in your pockets though :(

I hate to be the one to lead you to temptation, but the GoD Store does take points. Press X on the screen where it shows the price to have it converted to MS Spacebucks.

I picked it up the other day. It's not the best game ever but I'm glad to have it for exactly that reason.

rhfb said:

You've always been able to buy Games on Demand games with MSPoints.

NavNucST3

rhfb said:

Of the 10 or more games I have purchased only one was purchased without paying by points.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Love the new thread title. so true and sad, but also hilarious.

Only GoD game I've purchased is one of the only ones worth it; Burnout Paradise.
Contemplating buying RR6 since my Xbox stopped reading the disc... heh, wonder if I wouldn't even have to download it since it's installed to my HDD already. Oh, Xbox, sometimes you can totally suck.

sweetvar26 said:
Some of the games are way over priced, *SIGH*.

I never purchased a game yet but I was looking for some yesterday.

Alpha Protocol - not available
Fallout 3 - $40, pass
Halo Wars - $35, pass

Also I got a question. I have North American accounts, both American and Canadian. I am visiting my grandparents in India, got bored and bought an X360 here. It is an asian make with PAL region coding. If I download any game from games on demand, will the PAL xbox let me play the game? Obviously I will be downloading from my North American account and it will have NTSC as the region code.

Any experiences at all in the past?

Just an update to this. I just tried downloading COD4 for $20 and it says, this game is not available in your region.

What the fuck is this shit. I am just visiting this place, I'll be back in North America sometime this month or the next. Fuck this region bullshit man, this is just stupid. I don't know why any developer/console manufacturer/producer would encourage this.

Mrbob said:
The big problem with the 360 games marketplace is they don't have any system for bundles at all. So you can't make one purchase to download multiple items.

Chris R

AnEternalEnigma said:
You've always been able to buy Games on Demand games with MSPoints.
Oh didn't know that, always just saw the price in USD and turned around and left. The prices are still really high though.

Redd

Captain N said:
Actually the Ubisoft games don't let you play online with people playing on the retail discs. You can only play with those who have it from on demand as well.
......is this true? I only have the games on demand version. -_-

Top Bottom