• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 360 Games on Demand Thread of UnUnified Prices, Releases & Paying Way Over Retail

RedNumberFive said:
Instead of sending hate mail, why don't you just go to Target or Best Buy and buy it for $20? Not only will you have a great game at a great price, but you'll be able to lend it to friends or resell it if you'd like.

This doesn't compute, why would I do something logical before doing something completely idiotic and unnecessary?

DarkJC

I think a lot of these titles have great impulse buy potential if they were priced just a little bit lower. I was this ( |---| ) close to buying Bad Company at $25, if it were 20 I would've bitten for sure. Same with a few other titles, but at $25 it's iffy and at $30 no way.

I don't understand why they aren't letting the convenience of these titles being available on your box to buy 24/7 work in their favour rather than charge a premium for it.

REV 09

DarkJC said:
I think a lot of these titles have great impulse buy potential if they were priced just a little bit lower. I was this ( |---| ) close to buying Bad Company at $25, if it were 20 I would've bitten for sure. Same with a few other titles, but at $25 it's iffy and at $30 no way.

I don't understand why they aren't letting the convenience of these titles being available on your box to buy 24/7 work in their favour rather than charge a premium for it.
that sucks, BC is $20 in the states. I've purchased a few $20 titles from EA. They seem to be the only publisher able to get the pricing right, besides MS.

So I need to know a few things before shelling out $20 for Burnout Paradise.

- Can I download as many times as I need in case I run out of space?

- Is there tax?

- Is the save file a different file than the actual game so I can delete the huge game and not the save?

permutated said:
So I need to know a few things before shelling out $20 for Burnout Paradise.

- Can I download as many times as I need in case I run out of space?

- Is there tax?

- Is the save file a different file than the actual game so I can delete the huge game and not the save?

- Yes

- Dunno if you pay with real money, there is none with MS Points

- The save, and the game is to seperate files. Just make sure you actually only delete the game and not the entire game folder which also includes the save alongside the game.

FrankT

KittyKittyBangBang said:
If Dead Space is $20, then that will be my first. If Dead Space is $30, Im going to send a shitload of hate mail to EA.

You are in luck. $20 it is. Seems as if EA gets it on the Games on Demand so far.

Struct09

Wow, $20 for digital Dead Space is a good deal. Makes me hopeful that some games I want but don't own yet will come out at that price.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
cjelly said:
Crackdown has been reduced to £14.99 in the UK.

They haven't reduced the price of any others, from what I can see.

Yeah, Crackdown is up today, its the first game to be under 2800 points here. All GoD games cost that much so far, but Crackdown "only" costs 1840 points.

Mojo said:
Yeah...DS is AU$69.95 (US$64) in Aus, thanks EA.

Holy shit, let me see what it is in Canada. You guys are getting ripped off my friend. So I am assuming the Producers control the pricing on the game?

EDIT: Its $20 in Canada as well.

Brakara

Kandrick said:
Yeah, Crackdown is up today, its the first game to be under 2800 points here. All GoD games cost that much so far, but Crackdown "only" costs 1840 points.

2400 points here, but at least it's a lot less than the 4000 points every other game here costs.

Struct09

The promising thing about Games on Demand for GFWL is that you can pay with MS Points. MS Points have the tendency to go on sale, which could be a means to get some good deals.

Struct09 said:
The promising thing about Games on Demand for GFWL is that you can pay with MS Points. MS Points have the tendency to go on sale, which could be a means to get some good deals.
Yep I like this, I have a 2100 card pack unused right now I brought for £7, that would make crackdown only about £5 to buy for me but I already own it.

Of course points going on sale are usually very limited or rare as people horde any worthwhile offer to the point of them ending early.

I love GFWL so I am all for GoD for windows, if the price is good (steam still asking £30 for RE5 for instance)

borsdy

Banned
Strider2K99 said:
Unfortunately for MS, Steam pretty much has them beat at this pricing wise if Xbox 360 Games on Demand is any indication.
Yeah no kidding, though I hope that this will encourage more competitive deals but probably not.

Struct09 said:
Wow, $20 for digital Dead Space is a good deal. Makes me hopeful that some games I want but don't own yet will come out at that price.
Too bad Most Wanted is 40 bucks (CDN). I want to pick it up, but that seems like a rip off. I don't know how rare it is used though.

borsdy said:
Yeah no kidding, though I hope that this will encourage more competitive deals but probably not.
While xbox live arcade is next to GoD, prices will never drop below what crackdown is right now.

This is also good because we need to see more 400 and 800 point arcade games, just think at one point before the release of TMNT it was going to be 1200 points but dropped to 800...

kuYuri

Struct09 said:

That is a good point.

But overall, Steam has been good with things like preorder discounts or weekend/holiday sales. I've yet to see this with 360 Games on Demand games, hopefully MS will start doing it soon.

Then again, the majority of 360 games are games over a year old.

RBH

New additions to Games on Demand
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - $19.99
Gears of War - $19.99
Devil May Cry 4 - $19.99
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition - $19.99

g23

European pre-madonna
Just bought Mass Effect on GoD, will it be able to link up with Mass Effect 2 when it comes out? (Continuing the story, etc)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Viva Pinata
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Viva Pinata: Party Animals
Kameo
Perfect Dark Zero

Have all been reduced to £14.99/1600 MSP in the UK.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Eh, I look at Games on Demand like a Beta for the next gen where releases will happen a little closer together. Yeah, right now I can't imagine buying a 50 dollar digital copy when a hard copy costs less than 20 bucks.

elektrixx

Banned
I don't know if it's been answered, but if you install a game from disc and then purchase it, does it complete the download instantly?

elektrixxx said:
I don't know if it's been answered, but if you install a game from disc and then purchase it, does it complete the download instantly?
Doubt it, completely different registry and all that, will probably force download it.

Outta curiousity

How did they how downloadable GTAIV and it's episodes?

Do you just DL IV and you can also DL Lost/Tony and they'll work?

Thanks

REV 09

elektrixxx said:
No, it has to download in full.

elektrixx

Banned
Arpharmd B said:
Question for all you Aussies: Couldn't you just create an American account, and import points cards? Or is that illegal?
I have one account and I don't want to buy things on a different account. One day, they might just decide to block it. Buying things on a different account not created for this country is too uncertain for me.

Some things just can't be purchased overseas anyway. It seems like Microsoft can just flick this switch at any time, but they only truly block downloads overseas on select stuff. I can't remember a specific example right now though.

Kujo

Arpharmd B said:
Question for all you Aussies: Couldn't you just create an American account, and import points cards? Or is that illegal?
Even if we could, we have been able to get most of these games for cheaper than the American GamesOD prices in our retail stores, not much incentive there.

Anyone actually buying games through this? I got Crackdown just to use up some points.

CSampson said:
Call me crazy but I could of swore Red Faction: Guerrilla was on GoD? Or am I mistaken?
I remember it being on the service as well at one point. But it's clearly not there now.

Looks like I solved your mystery. I've purchased Mirror's Edge off Games on Demand previously (it resides on my hard drive & Download History) and it's clearly no longer available.

Seems that some Games on Demand titles have a limited shelf-life. Ironic.

elektrixxx said:
I have one account and I don't want to buy things on a different account. One day, they might just decide to block it. Buying things on a different account not created for this country is too uncertain for me.

Some things just can't be purchased overseas anyway. It seems like Microsoft can just flick this switch at any time, but they only truly block downloads overseas on select stuff. I can't remember a specific example right now though.

I've had a Japanese account since 2006. I've bought lots of DLC such as Senko No Ronde, random gamerpics and themes, and the DLC for DeathSmiles through my Japanese account. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Also MS is aware of me, I've had a 1 day ban for using the word "cunt" in my profile, so it's not like they don't know I have a Japanese account.

AkuMifune

Banned
So to my surprise Halo 3 just showed up in Games on Demand. I thought that game couldn't be installed because of the way it was coded, has that changed? There's no reason it could be downloaded but not installed.

Anyway I was going to pick up Naruto, but Halo 3 is tempting, considering I totally missed the boat on it. Especially installed.

scarybore

AkuMifune said:
So to my surprise Halo 3 just showed up in Games on Demand. I thought that game couldn't be installed because of the way it was coded, has that changed? There's no reason it could be downloaded but not installed.

It could always be installed, but it would load a bit slower than usual running from the hard drive due to technical reasons. I don't know if this has been changed with the download version (I doubt it), but in theory installing it to a USB stick rather than the hard drive would eliminate the issue.

MMaRsu

Banned
cjelly said:
Viva Pinata
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Viva Pinata: Party Animals
Kameo
Perfect Dark Zero

Have all been reduced to £14.99/1600 MSP in the UK.

Yeah well I bought TIP for 5 bucks last week.

Cynar

DarkJC said:

You can get Bad Company for $10 or less at Gamestop used now. :lol

Jtyettis said:
You are in luck. $20 it is. Seems as if EA gets it on the Games on Demand so far.

Yep, and staying true to my word I did end up buying it. I regret putting this off so long. Great game.

$20 really is the sweet spot for this platform and as soon as MS/pubs start realizing this, I bet sales will skyrocket

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Wow Call of Duty 4 was released today on GoD and it costs 50€. Making it the most expensive game there by far :lol

They just added Super Street Fighter IV for $39.99. That was the release price back in April 2010.

I don't want anymore discs for my 360, so I'm willing to pay for a digital version if that's what I have to do, but fuck this. The disc is $15.99 brand new on Amazon. No tax, free two-day shipping.

I guess I'm never buying that game, then.

Why is Operation Darkness $40?? I saw it brand new at Gamestop for $20. And from what I understand, the game did poorly in reviews and sales.

Why is Red Dead Redemption $60 on Games on Demand?? Is MS serious?

Top Bottom