• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3DS has one of Nintendo's best libraries ever

jwhit28

I think it is definitely the best portable library, but doesn't beat PS2 overall. If it is the end of the dedicated videogame handheld, what a way to go out.

Neiteio

I thought I'd hate going back to 240p, but I forgot how great the stereoscopic 3D looks. Metroid is gorgeous!

And yeah, 3DS is pretty much the best Nintendo system at the moment, although I can see Switch succeeding it.

I'm not really sure why people separate the DS and the 3DS. It's the same ecosystem, the 3DS was never a true "new" platform. The OS and eshop were natural progressions from the DS and DSiWare. I can buy DSiWare today from the eshop that was released eons ago much less use the same charger.

Being backwards compatible doesn't stop something being a new platform. All of those things were true about the GBA SP/Original DS too. The OS was built on top of it, you could play almost all the GBA games on it, and they used the same charger.

bionic77

Kid Icarus is an outright failure in handheld game design beyond even the MonHun claw grip on PSP levels and yet people in this thread are claiming it's an all-time great title.
Kid Icarus is an amazing game. Have to disagree with you there.

It was uncomfortable playing that way but the content was so good it was worth.

Linkark07

Banned
My favourite 3DS games are the Etrian Odyssey series.

Never knew of Dungeon Crawler games till I played EO4 demo. After buying it and Untold 1, I fell in love with the genre. Hard but fair and satisfying to finish. Heck, it even convinced me to buy EO3, which is my favourite in the series.

After that, the Fire Emblem games. Fates Conquest in particular, for having one of the most challenging difficulties I have ever had. Echoes too, with a loveable cast, great art and awesome soundtrack.

And lastly, Rune Factory 4. They really knew how to mix daily life, farming and action combat.

Overall, the 3DS has been one of my best investments ever. With the DS and 3DS library, it is basically a must own for anyone who loves playing with handhelds.

-MB-

OP says Nintendo libraries. No GBA. No N64. No GC. A small selection of SNES.

Besides, can you tell me with a straight face a 3DS game would land in anyone's top 10 list? The barebones online functionality should disclose most already.

A Link between worlds does already.
Also BOXBOY! and its sequels do.
Same for Pushmo + sequels.

DS had weak Zeldas and nothing that came close to the other 2 franchises for me. Could even say it has the vastly superior original Mario title (NSMB DS vs 3D land, no contest).
Maybe JRPG wise one could have an argument here, but Bravely Default etc. equal things out for me.

kami_sama

I still think that the DS has a better catalog, but because then the gimmick was the touchscreen and not 3D, and I think the touchscreen was a game changer in gamepay mechanics.
I remember playing Project Rub, with it's great number of minigames and thinking that many of those were made for the touchscreen.
Or Another Code and Hotel Dusk (RIP CiNG T__T), which made extensive use of it. Also, the great idea to use the DS as a book instead was phenomenal (I don't know if it's the first time it was used like that, though(
In the end 3D, while hyped at first, was a disappointment and the release of the 2DS confirmed not even Nintendo were 100% sure it was the way to go.

But I still think that it has an awesome library. Even if you don't count ports, like Ocarina, it has enough great games to last me a long, long time.
And if you consider that the DS library is also available, it is the perfect gaming machine.

kunonabi

Not as good or as diverse as DS, but pretty good.

I'll give you not as diverse but 3DS games on the whole are meatier, more polished, and better designed. It just isn't as experimental and quirky as the DS library. Nintendo's output in particular is much, much, better than it was on the DS.

I'll give you not as diverse but 3DS games on the whole are meatier and better designed. It just isn't as experimental and quirky as the DS library. Nintendo's output in particular is much, much, better than it was on the DS.
Definitely have to agree with this, Nintendo is at the top of their game on 3DS. Atlus as well, they made some incredible games for the system, same for Level 5. I'd say the system is mainly a step down from DS in terms of third party games. Capcom, Atlus, Level 5, some Bandai Namco and Sega titles, but overall 3DS was lacklustre from most third parties, especially western third parties.

I prefer the 3DS library to the DS library.

Opa-Pa

Yes, the thing is pretty much the PS2 of handhelds, it's insane.

Whenever there's a new 3DS recommendations thread, I want to help, but feel overwhelmed because there's so many games to list than it'd take too long, haha. I always find it sad when people claim they mostly stick to 1st party stuff because... Why would you do that?!

Yes, the thing is pretty much the PS2 of handhelds, it's insane.

Whenever there's a new 3DS recommendations thread, I want to help, but feel overwhelmed because there's so many games to list than it'd take too long, haha. I always find it sad when people claim they mostly stick to 1st party stuff because... Why would you do that?!
Well, the first party stuff is most of the best content on 3DS. People always forget the eShop though, which is a shame because there are some great exclusives on there.

Now if we can just get Radiant Historia and TWEWY sequels in... Maybe a new Advance Wars to round things off too.
I want a new Advance Wars more than anything. I'd even settle for a remake. Still picking up Pokémon Silver and River City Ransom this year.

Better than the DS for first party =/= "one of the best Nintendo libraries". The DS had basically the worst entries of every Nintendo series except for like Mario and Luigi 3. The 3DS is mostly just games that play just like past entries(especially SNES era games), but add nothing more. This is for better or worse, you either have shit no one asked for like the Arzest games or stuff that should have been made years ago like Metroid.

3DS just doesn't have anything I'd consider "one of the greatest games of all time" besides Kid Icarus. Basically any other Nintendo console except like VB, original Gameboy and Wii U offer a lot more. GBA especially blows the 3DS away and that system had a bunch of SNES ports, it didn't even have an original Mario yet it evolved almost every series it had represented, unlike the 3DS entries. Sadly modern Nintendo fanboys don't care about evolving or variety, they view their games in the most reductive ways, overhyping mediocrities like ALBW only because they fit their weird agenda of modern Nintendo being the best since the SNES while disregarding everything made between gens 5-7. Screw innovation, just give me retro games over and over while I label them as "pure colorful charming fun", no educated arguments

Oh also 3DS third party is pretty weak even for a Nintendo system, and the few games that are there aren't as defining as the notable ones on other Nintendo consoles

I Don't know. Everyone says that but to me it's pretty meh. Thank God for Picross 3d 2 and Metroid, they'll be the last Ganges together with a link between worlds that I'll play before ditching this console for good.

kunonabi

Better than the DS for first party =/= "one of the best Nintendo libraries". The DS had basically the worst entries of every Nintendo series except for like Mario and Luigi 3. The 3DS is mostly just games that play just like past entries(especially SNES era games), but add nothing more. This is for better or worse, you either have shit no one asked for like the Arzest games or stuff that should have been made years ago like Metroid.

3DS just doesn't have anything I'd consider "one of the greatest games of all time" besides Kid Icarus. Basically any other Nintendo console except like VB, original Gameboy and Wii U offer a lot more. GBA especially blows the 3DS away and that system had a bunch of SNES ports, it didn't even have an original Mario yet it evolved almost every series it had represented, unlike the 3DS entries. Sadly modern Nintendo fanboys don't care about evolving or variety, they view their games in the most reductive ways, overhyping mediocrities like ALBW only because they fit their weird agenda of modern Nintendo being the best since the SNES while disregarding everything made between gens 5-7. Screw innovation, just give me retro games over and over while I label them as "pure colorful charming fun", no educated arguments

Oh also 3DS third party is pretty weak even for a Nintendo system, and the few games that are there aren't as defining as the notable ones on other Nintendo consoles

I love the wii u more than most but much of its output was warmed over Wii/DS/3DS concepts so putting it on some pedestal compared to the 3DS as far originality goes is silly.

OmegaFax

The Nintendo 3DS may very well be the best legacy console Nintendo has ever created. It's compatible with NES, SNES, Game Gear, GB, GBC (<- emulated of course forall of those), GBA (natively via homebrew), DS, PC-Engine ( VC in Japan), variety of arcade ports via Sega, a port of Kirby's Adventure without slowdown (via 3D Classics) + a library of 3DS games.

I like the 3DS's library but its hardware is the worst. THE WORST PERIOD

I'm playing Samus Returns and boy I'd really love to use the 3D! Except I just can't.

Why? because if a game isn't literally 100% bright colors, the 3DS's 3D effect just breaks the fuck down into a blurry ghosty mess.

It's a profoundly shit console with the best library a shit fucking console has ever had.

Switch is off to a very strong start.

Yea it is, I don't think its touching the DS but we'll see what happens. For comparisons sake I have 60-65 DS games that I consider are all quality titles (I have more games that I excluded that some people might not think is quality) with a bunch on my wishlist like DQ6, Infinite Space, there's some Professor Layton games I'm still missing, FE Shadow Dragon, etc.

I found the 3DS library to pretty meh/lack luster aside from SMT IV, SMIV: A and Alpha Sapphire. The rest of the games I own/played were either not all that great, a remake or something I like but didn't really do much for me.

jwhit28

I'm not a big fan of the GBA either. If Nintendo was gonna rely on SNES ports, why not add X and Y buttons? On top of that they added those awful voice clips to games.

Sponge

Banned
I remember when the 3DS first came out and had it's price dropped. Never would have imagined then 3DS would get a library that would rival the DS.

The DS still has the superior library in my opinion, but the 3DS comes very close.

I think the 3DS library is really strong but not quite as good as the DS. But it being backwards compatible means that its over all the best.

This exactly. the DS was a stellar system. Developers where willing to take risks with their releases that they were afraid to on consoles. The originality was what made that little system. The 3DS is great, but not as great as the OG.

Megatron

Yea it is, I don't think its touching the DS but we'll see what happens. For comparisons sake I have 60-65 DS games that I consider are all quality titles (I have more games that I excluded that some people might not think is quality) with a bunch on my wishlist like DQ6, Infinite Space, there's some Professor Layton games I'm still missing, FE Shadow Dragon, etc.

I believe we will easily get to that number on switch. The issue of course is that many of those will be multiplats, wheras probably almost all of the games on your ds list are exclusives. Still, I am happy to get games like Skyrim, Doom and Sonic Mania on my switch, even if they arent exclusive.

I'll give you not as diverse but 3DS games on the whole are meatier, more polished, and better designed. It just isn't as experimental and quirky as the DS library. Nintendo's output in particular is much, much, better than it was on the DS.

Nintendo's own output on the 3DS is definitely much stronger than the DS, yes. Although on the whole, the library doesn't quite reach the same level as the DS had, because that system was a third party behemoth. But games like 3D Land and Link Between Worlds are better than anything Nintendo themselves were doing with the DS.

I'm not a big fan of the GBA either. If Nintendo was gonna rely on SNES ports, why not add X and Y buttons? On top of that they added those awful voice clips to games.
People don't love GBA for the SNES ports, they love it for the original titles, of which there are many and they are amazing.

Looking forward to the 3DS VC on Switch.

Simply press and hold a shoulder button to overlay the top screen to those 3DS games onto the Switch's main screen, then release said shoulder button to return to the main screen. That's how I would do it.

Megatron

I think the point is the Switch is 6 months old and it doesn't make sense to compare it to several years old handhelds.

No, that definitely wasn't his point. His reply was to my post that said the switch is off to a strong start and some day could have as good a library as the do did. Which given the first 8 months, seems pretty reasonable. His response seemed to imply that the switch shouldn't count as a handheld for whatever reason.

The Switch will already have a better Line up than any other handheld by the end of the year purely in the basis of having the best Zelda, the best Mario kart and probably the best Mario. And it's a much better experience to play any game on it because of its size and ergonomics.

Haganeren

Smash Bros. alone makes it better then the DS.

I don't know, Jump Ultimate Stars was fun and i rarely play the 3DS Smash Bros, i'm always on the Wii U one.

Nah, i still think the DS is the best, much more RPG that interest me for example. Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center et Layton were three incredible series that were introduced thanks to that console. It even have 2 excellent Castlevania game (and one i like less), 2 very good Megaman, Another Code/Room 215/Last Windows being highly memorable adventure game and much more. In comparaison, 3DS doesn't have that much, Luigi's Mansion 2 disappointed me a lot after being a huge fan of the first one. 3D Land really made me angry at Mario until i played 3D World.... Fortunately i LOVE Kid Ikarus Uprising which is a good thing and Zelda ALBW made me hope for more good 2D Zeldas after the awful DS ones.

So yeah, don't get me wrong though, the 3DS still have an incredible library with a lot of hidden gem (Crismon Shroud, Codename STEAM, Rhythm Thief... And much more) but i feel like there were even more diversity and new things on the DS.

kunonabi

The Switch will already have a better Line up than any other handheld by the end of the year purely in the basis of having the best Zelda, the best Mario kart and probably the best Mario. And it's a much better experience to play any game on it because of its size and ergonomics.

As great as odyssey looks id still take the ds and 3ds over the switch's current line-up. As long as the switch doesnt have dual screens and a dpad ill prefer playing games on the ds/3ds hardware as well.

Top Bottom