• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3DS has one of Nintendo's best libraries ever

prateeko

I thought I'd hate going back to 240p, but I forgot how great the stereoscopic 3D looks. Metroid is gorgeous!

And yeah, 3DS is pretty much the best Nintendo system at the moment, although I can see Switch succeeding it.

The switch seems to have the spirit of the 3DS in its DNA. Nintendo focusing on portable games seems to be better, and with the switch always having a portable option, it feels similar in ways the Wii U never quite did.

sleepnaught

Looking forward to the 3DS VC on Switch.

Simply press and hold a shoulder button to overlay the top screen to those 3DS games onto the Switch's main screen, then release said shoulder button to return to the main screen. That's how I would do it.
That's actually a good idea, hope to see something like that come to Switch. So many great 3DS/DS games, they deserve a new home on the Switch

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
What makes the 3DS even more attractive is that a lot of the junk normally reserved for handheld games (that the GB/GBA/original DS had in bucketloads) just ended up on mobile instead.

ZugZug123

AC:NL is my fave game, but besides that I really like the StreetPass mini-games and love Pocket Card Jockey. PCJ is not just a crazy mash up of racing and solitaire, but the wacky characters, the breeding aspects and the fact it does have some story just makes it such a little gem :)

StereoVsn

My dream is for someone to put 3DS innards in an actual comfortable form factor with good quality screens. So many good JRPGs that I can only play for 20-30 minutes at a time because the damn thing is so uncomfortable.
If someone could take those innards but with more powerful hardware then downscaled res 2-4x time to 3DS one, that would be pretty amazing. There is a PC based emulator and a lot of 3DS games look a lot better on it with high internalrendering and higher res output.

Personally what made 3DS for me was Atlus' output. Devil Survivor games, SMT IV and IV A, Persona Q, etc.... There were also other great RPGs and very good platformers.

That said overall DS library was stronger.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Someone recommend me some games my six year old niece would likely enjoy. I'm going to buy her a new 2ds xl today and giving her my copy of Mario 3d land. I'm gonna buy her Pokémon Sun as well. Are the cooking mama games any good? I'm looking for decent games that target the young girl demographic.

Jubenhimer

I certainly think the Nintendo 3DS has some of Nintendo's strongest output yet (the Switch may probably top it), and definitely stonger than their Wii U output. That being said, on the whole, the DS was just a much better system as far as game library goes. Third party support on the 3DS was big step back from the DS, and the system just doesn't have quite the same level of diversity and quantity in it's library.

jwhit28

Someone recommend me some games my six year old niece would likely enjoy. I'm buy her a new 2ds xl today and giving her my copy of Mario 3d world. I'm gonna buy her Pokémon. Are the cooking mama games any good? I'm looking for decent games that target the young girl demographic.

My niece is the same age and Sticker Star is her favorite game.

Lothars

one of Nintendo's best libraries? that's underselling it a lot. It is one of the best libraries ever across all platforms, if you include the DS one
Not really adding the ds makes it Nintendo one of Nintendo best libraries but it's definitely not the best of all time . It has a good library.

People don't love GBA for the SNES ports, they love it for the original titles, of which there are many and they are amazing.
Yup on top of the snes ports, the gba has an incredible lineup

FLAguy954

100% agreed.

To those saying the DS library is better, Kid Icarus Uprising is better than the majority of the DS's output on it's own.

Ansatz

I sense sarcasm here. But why wouldnt it be? I have put 100 hours into my switch the lawt few months, entirely in handheld mode.

In the past Nintendo had to split their resources between two systems, now they can focus all of their efforts on a single one. Not only that but they have historically put their finest teams to develop games for the home console, which already puts Switch at a significant advantage.

Thus if everything goes as planned, the Switch should be better than every Nintendo handheld before it considering it has the attention of every single development studio associated with the company. That's like, the minimum expectation.

The more relevant question is (imo) whether Switch will be able match the combined libraries of for example Wii+DS or GBA+GC. I know it's not the best solution either because the handheld/console gens don't overlap perfectly (like how some teams are still working on 3DS) but it's the comparison I will be going by as I think it's the most fair one to make.

Zelda ALBW is the standout game for me. Best Zelda since Link's awakening and the best use of the 3D the system ever got. Also the mural puzzle mechanic was sublime

YES.

Also, not sure what kind of witchcraft they employed to make Smash work on the 3DS as smoothly as it does...

MTC100

Banned
It has a good library and I hope most of this will switch over to the Switch in no time. I'm also up for several ports of 3DS games, can't stand the 240P screen anymore.

Someone recommend me some games my six year old niece would likely enjoy. I'm going to buy her a new 2ds xl today and giving her my copy of Mario 3d land. I'm gonna buy her Pokémon Sun as well. Are the cooking mama games any good? I'm looking for decent games that target the young girl demographic.

NSMB2 and both Kirby games are good choices. Also MK7 is a good one and I'd show her a trailer of YoKai Watch and see if its something shes interested in.

TB12

Banned
3ds are amazing, maybe one of my favorite handheld ever :p
If i have to make a top 3 list, it would be like this:

1. The legend of zelda link between worlds. Amazing game maybe beter than the snes version.
2. super mario 3d land. One of the best mario!
3. Fire emblem awekening. My favorite Fire emblem story so far.

The one thing that i miss on 3ds, are "advance wars" games...
where are they? I mean we got 2 of them last gen, and so far nothing...

IMG_20170917_174850_1.jpg

Nothing beats the Nintendo DS library. A lot of people will complain about shovelware, but there was so much quality titles. 3DS didn't really interest me to the extent that the DS did.

jwhit28

Nothing beats the Nintendo DS library. A lot of people will complain about shovelware, but there was so much quality titles. 3DS didn't really interest me to the extent that the DS did.

A lot of Nintendo's heavy hitters were weak on DS for me. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem. It might have the best 3rd party lineup of any Nintendo platform though and Pokemon was a beast.

I would agree that it's one of Nintendo's best libraries, with GameCube and SNES being the systems that top it. I just wish the hardware were a bit better. 3DS just doesn't feel good to use... Ergonomics leave a lot to be desired and some games don't look too good on the 3DS screen.

I only have 17 3DS compared to my 41 DS games. On the other hand, I do make up for it in Virtual Console games. Still waiting on Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

While people adore the 3DS, as a fan of more 3D/Open/Action games, it failed to deliver on that in its second half.
It's great if you like JRPGS, but i burnt out of those a long time ago.

First half with the likes of Revelations, OoT3D, kid Icarus, and more were very impressive and what I wanted from the system.
The best original games are 3D Land and LBW which dont follow my personal rule, but they're stellar titles.

How did we not get a Warioware game?

The thing with WarioWare games is that they generally happen when the developers have a wacky gimmick to base it around.

Twisted was designed around the GBA's gyro sensor
Touched was designed around the DS's touch screen
Smooth Moves was designed around the Wii's motion controls
Snapped was designed around the DSi's camera
Game & Wario was a tech demo for the Wii U's game pad (they even thought of bundling it with the system at some point)

In that sense, I imagine the WarioWare team probably couldn't figure out to make an all new WW that properly used the 3DS' feature. How could one sucessfully design mini-games around the 3D slider feature, for example? Snapped's camera based mini-games notably had a ton of issues.

hzsn724

Not to mention the system also has the entire DS lib and a great VC. Tons of Sega 3D remakes to snes classics like Earthbound and Super Castlevania IV.

But as for stand alone exclsuives, Bravely Default and Bravely Second are amazing. I also love Shin Megami Tensei IV, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Mario Kart 7, Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates/Echoes, Samus Returns, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Majora's Mask 3D, and tons and tons of indies from Shantae to Shovel Knight. I love the 3DS and it will go down as one of the greatest portable systems of all time.

Qwyjibo

Also to add to this lovefest, I both love and hate Picross 3D Round 2. Love it because even buying it at full price and it being my first Picross game, it's an incredible value for how much it keeps you occupied. Hate it because every time I load up my 3DS to play something else, it's that "ahh I'll just do one round of Picross" game where 2 hours later you still haven't played what you originally intended to.

One of the best overall values of any game I've bought in the last couple years.

One of the best systems ever! My 3DS collection is at 58 with tons of fantastic games along with 37 eShop and Virtual Console games) and shall we not forget the original DS whicgh was just awesome all on it's own my collection spans to 73 just for that alone but the 3DS seems to want to catch up considering there are still plenty games to buy All the upcoming Atlus titles , Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga remake , Mario Party Top 100 , another Kirby and etc and a few games already released i have not added to my collection yet!

It's a solid library for sure. Someone mentioned how there is little shovelware thanks to mobile and that definitely helps.

I do miss the wacky throw everything on the wall approach with DS games. There were some great titles that grew from thinking outside the box and I don't know if I'll really love a handheld as much as I loved that DS.

The GBA was a bit meh to me. There are some gems of course but it's just sad that it lived such a short life. I wish Nintendo had let go of the gb(c) sooner and allowed the GBA to thrive during the n64 era and into the early naughts.

Let me just say that I'm playing Monster Hunter Stories right now and it's probably the most beautiful 3DS game out there, along with the mainline Monster Hunter games of course.

Capcom are fucking wizards.

The game is awesome and addictive too.

3DS continues to deliver in 2017, lol.

Hallowed

3DS is just so insanely good. It's better than the DS because of the fact that it can play DS games(thank God!) along with its own games. I don't just have so many games, but so many GOOD games, its just incredible. It makes it really hard for me to decide what to play sometimes.

What would make it just perfect is if they released Super Mario RPG on eshop for it, then my life would be complete.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm actually kind of surprised to see so many people ranking the 3DS' library below that of the DS. The DS' lineup, for the most part, still felt like games that were dumbed down, versus what you could find on consoles. The 3DS was the first portable where the games felt fully realized and well-polished, for a change.

Generalizations and all that, but yeah.

kunonabi

One of the best systems ever! My 3DS collection is at 58 with tons of fantastic games along with 37 eShop and Virtual Console games) and shall we not forget the original DS whicgh was just awesome all on it's own my collection spans to 73 just for that alone but the 3DS seems to want to catch up considering there are still plenty games to buy All the upcoming Atlus titles , Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga remake , Mario Party Top 100 , another Kirby and etc and a few games already released i have not added to my collection yet!

Yeah, i actually own more 3DS games than any other platform. Only the Dreamcast and Wii are close for me. Even though those arent complete the 3DS should end up at no.1 or no.2 when all is said and done.

SirNinja

So many "DS is better" posts, so few examples...

Agree 100%, OP. And they're not done yet - there's still Etrian Odyssey V, Pokemon US/UM, Radiant Historia PC, and SMT Strange Journey Redux on the way. I may never be able to finish all the games I've bought for it.

redcrayon

Fantasy Life is a great 'my first rpg' too. You can just decide to be a tailor, cook etc, or mix it up with the combat classes.

redcrayon

While people adore the 3DS, as a fan of more 3D/Open/Action games, it failed to deliver on that in its second half.
It's great if you like JRPGS, but i burnt out of those a long time ago.

First half with the likes of Revelations, OoT3D, kid Icarus, and more were very impressive and what I wanted from the system.
The best original games are 3D Land and LBW which dont follow my personal rule, but they're stellar titles.
The 3DS Monster Hunter games have pretty much filled my interest in 3D action games for thousands of hours. It's only one series and so sure, I don't disagree with your point, but MH4 is one of the best games on the system (and probably the best in the series), and that was 2015.
Never understood the insane level of hyperbole surrounding Kid Icarus: Uprising. Like, it's a good game, but it's not THAT good.
I found it barely playable as a left-hander even with the stand or the controller accessory or the alternative control scheme, but to each their own with that one. Presentation is nice, I can see what people like about it.

Opa-Pa

DS games look so hideous on the 3DS that I always forget it has BC, lol.

But yeah, I consider it the GOAT even without factoring the DS library. It's /that/ good.

Jubenhimer

I'm actually kind of surprised to see so many people ranking the 3DS' library below that of the DS. The DS' lineup, for the most part, still felt like games that were dumbed down, versus what you could find on consoles. The 3DS was the first portable where the games felt fully realized and well-polished, for a change.

Generalizations and all that, but yeah.

You could say the same thing about the PSP... And the PS Vita... And the 3DS... And even the Switch to a lesser extent. Point is, there isn't really such a thing as "console quality" handhelds in my opinion because handheld platforms are always going to be gimped in some way compared to their console counterparts. Be it lacking in inputs, specs, or features. Even the Switch, as powerful as it is for a tablet based console, is still a tablet based console, one that doesn't even have analog triggers.

batrush

Best library on a handheld for sure. All the SMT, Ace Attorney, Etrian Odyssey, Dragon Quest games... just too good.

sleepnaught

I have a huge 3DS/DS library, dozens of games that I inherited that I haven't touched. Its currently boxed up for the move but I'll have to sorta them out and ask GAF what's the best to start playing. I have Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon in the 3DS and have been the enjoying the heck out of it. What are some other must plays? I'm open to trying anything new, my brother had tons of DS and 3DS games so I'm sure I got it.

redcrayon

Best library on a handheld for sure. All the SMT, Ace Attorney, Etrian Odyssey, Dragon Quest games... just too good.
I love all those games, but I can see that if someone doesn't particularly like JRPGs and their various sub-genres, then the far wider genre variety available on DS/PSP/GBA/GB may have been more appealing. On 3DS a far smaller number of third party developers (notably Atlus pumping games out) picked up the slack, and so a heavy bias towards certain genres has set in.

JCX

3DS is an interesting case. I have more fond memories of DS, perhaps because touch gaming and official online mario kart were new at that time. That said, when I compare them individually, 3DS is a giant. So many games still to play.

I agree completely and for me the greatest feature is to be able to play so many classic Zelda games on the system. Now I'm really enjoying playing Metroid and the game looks great as well.

My favorite 3D games are

Ocarina of Time 3D
A Link Between Worlds
Majora's Mark 3D
Super Mario 3D Land.

Top Bottom