• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the ANNO 1404 (DAWN OF DISCOVERY) |OT|

Zzoram

The lack of activation revoke, and reactivation for hardware changes is :lol

Definately waiting to see if the Steam version has this crap.

b.e.r.g

Wth? I got Anno 1701 and it's... beautiful and kinda fun, but it's not super. The "strategic" part of the game is rather bland.

I don't see this game selling all that well, so why are Ubi killing the sales with DRM? I would've considered this, but I'll never pay for limitation!

I wonder what geniuses pulls the strings in this business. What makes them think piracy will halt when they now have to ask them self "Should I pay for a limited copy, or should I get an unlimited one for free?"?

SockBoy

Can't believe there's no multiplayer included. I've been playing 1701 every day @ lunch with a friend of mine at work, and we were crazy excited for 1404. Then we found out there was no multiplayer... excitement killed. I read an interview where the devs said they may add it later on, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, those DRM restrictions are brutal.

I'll probably pick it up for the single player when it comes down in price. But there's no way I'm paying full price for such a gimped product. :(

b.e.r.g said:
I don't see this game selling all that well, so why are Ubi killing the sales with DRM? I would've considered this, but I'll never pay for limitation!

The three Anno games have sold about 5 million on the PC. I'm sure 1404 will do ok.

Wollan

Just 'finished' the 1404 demo (1 hour limited play). Graphics are really great like the screens would indicate. Ran this at a good framerate with everything maxed (though I had AA @x4).
The gameplay is pretty much like everyone expect I would think, no mystery (except for the lack of mp).

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Zzoram said:
Wait, 1701 has multiplayer but they dropped it for 1404? :lol

It wasn't very good and had technical problems. Think of it like Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer.

Minsc

Gold Member
1404 was day 1 for me for the graphics alone, but I'll sit it out until the DRM BS is fixed, or 'til it's heavily discounted.

Won

:lol @ DRM

Never played an Anno game and the demo looked great, but sorry Ubisoft....I think I will pass on that one for now.

SockBoy

Spire said:
It wasn't very good and had technical problems. Think of it like Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer.

We have yet to run into any issues with 1701 multiplayer. It may be because we were late to the party and they've ironed out all the issues in the latest patch (1.04) but it's been great for the most part. I think there was one instance where one of our games had saved properly on my computer, but not on the other, so we lost a bit of progress, but it hasn't happened since. :)

Ledsen

b.e.r.g said:
Wth? I got Anno 1701 and it's... beautiful and kinda fun, but it's not super. The "strategic" part of the game is rather bland.

I wonder what geniuses pulls the strings in this business. What makes them think piracy will halt when they now have to ask them self "Should I pay for a limited copy, or should I get an unlimited one for free?"?

Strategy games sell like hotcakes here in Europe.

Deku

Banned
What was cut out of the non PC versions?
Not that I care too much as long as it suits the platform.

DS anno was my introduction to the franchise and I enjoyed it immensely despite probably losing some features. It filled a lot of the dead time.

b.e.r.g

Morbid Angel said:
The three Anno games have sold about 5 million on the PC. I'm sure 1404 will do ok.

Ledsen said:
Strategy games sell like hotcakes here in Europe.

Really? I'm both European and a strategy fan, and some how the whole Anno series never crossed my radar... before gaf. I picked it up and found it rather mediocre, so I just assumed it wasn't all that big.

Oh well, I'll buy it if I ever see it on Steam :)

b.e.r.g said:
Really? I'm both European and a strategy fan, and some how the whole Anno series never crossed my radar... before gaf. I picked it up and found it rather mediocre, so I just assumed it wasn't all that big.

Oh well, I'll buy it if I ever see it on Steam :)
Anno and Settlers are in the hands of the almighty Germans :lol They were right behind Sims years back. But it struggles since those 2 series are getting worse and worse.

Ontopic:

Ubisoft stated in the official forums, that you can revoke through Ubisoft Support and trough TAGES Support.

And you don't need to have an internet connection right on the gaming PC. You can use any transfer media you want to activate via another internet connected pc and transfer this data.

this is just a small weakening but still.

~Kinggi~

Banned
what improvements does this have over 1707? I love that game, and it seemed to have a lot of depth so i wonder what they added.

dani_dc

I'm inclined to check the Wii version in the future, the graphics look great in motion(regardless of the pictures on the OP might lead you to believe) and very intuitive to play.

Not particularly interested in the pc version but might give it a shoot if I see it on Steam for free and no DRM sometime in the future.

spangler

Amazingly, I picked up a copy of the wii Dawn of Discovery at a Gamestop in Gainesville, Florida. The website still lists it as shipping on 6/23. Haven't tried it yet but I'm certainly looking forward to it. Loved the older version on DS.

Wollan

Have spent 2 hours now with the Wii game.
My impressions so far:

+ Interface and controls are *perfect*.
There's a lot of visual feedback in the HUD elements, animating icons, logical button art..etc.
Dragging some bars is a bit too sensitive with the pointer (we're talking one pixel affecting a ton +/- in wares) but you can use the - and + buttons for fine adjustment.
You speedily shift between different islands, pop down buildings, sell stuff, explore without giving a thought about the controls. It's a lot of fun.
+ Graphics is definitely in the upper echelon Wii wise.
Never a dip in the framerate, everything is colorful and animates comparably to any Maxis (Sims/Spore) game.
+ Most surprising quality is probably the voicework and sound. The 'story' itself so far is basic (disguised tutorial if you will. Though I have only finished 2 of 9 or so chapters) but the characters themselves are well acted and there is some witty commentary. The art is well done, everyone in realistic proportions but with cartoony appearances (they animate and talk in small windows most of the time). Between chapters and sub goals within chapters there's fmw cutscenes in still-drawn images.
- I actually encountered a game breaking bug on chapter 2. You are supposed to pick up a treasure and I did this really quickly and delivered it but at the same time some other sub objective happened. After dealing with that, it went back to asking me to find the treasure again but having already collected it there was nothing I could do. Reverted back to a older save within the same chapter (you can save at any time).

My expectations were definitely met after having read all the reviews and whatched a good amount of videos. It's very polished design.

bee

i usually don't give a flying fuck about what drm is used but 3 installs with no revoke tool only a phone/email? to support option is pure bullshit, temporarily postponing my purchase until they get their shit together

that being said, i loved the demo, great stuff

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
I enjoyed the shit out of the PC version demo. Graphics looked fantastic and it's good to see they tightened up the gameplay a bit. Only thing that saddened me was how quickly it ended. ;(

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Damn it I knew it would be £35 on Steam, so much for digital distribution being the cheaper option, its infact the most expensive.

You can buy it for £23 from most online shops.

Deacan said:
Damn it I knew it would be £35 on Steam, so much for digital distribution being the cheaper option, its infact the most expensive.

You can buy it for £23 from most online shops.
Piracy tax.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Well I am willing to bite at that price if its DRM free on steam.

I own Anno 1602 and 1503 and I love them. The series is pretty big in Germany, I know many friends who play the games. I still haven't found the time to get into 1701 for some reason, though.

VicViper

I was a hardcore PC Anno fan for years, but the DS versions actually managed to extract the very essence of the game into a much more enjoyable and less convoluted experience on the go.

DS Anno > PC Anno.

Top Bottom