• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the ANNO 1404 (DAWN OF DISCOVERY) |OT|

Luthair

Is there a outlet to complain to? Ubisoft of course has no way to contact a human, I hate when they hide any way to whine directly to them >.<

maniac-kun said:
how come they put this stupid drm shit on highly anticipated games and scare off A LOT of customers who love the game but dont want such bullshit... people who just download the game illegaly get the supperiour product. (like they fucked up spore with it)

But EA took something from that experience and evolved. Ubisoft released Far Cry 2 with activation limitations, then went in the complete oposite direction and went DRM free with PoP and HAWX, only to now fly back around to activation limitations with DoD. It's seems like a 'activation limitations or nothing" approach is just switching back and forth between solutions that bring the greatest risks for lost sales.

Caesar III said:
There is no Multiplayer included! They promised it is #1 to do for the (first?) addon but it's not in the Main Game and it will not be patched in later on.

I'll wait for a Gold Edition with Addon respectivly Multiplayer Mode included for like 40€.

I'm not going to trust them again this time. I did with Anno 1503 and there never was a Multiplayer patch or addon :(

Shame. I guess the wait for SC2 continues.

Has anyone bought the game from Steam yet? I got an ad at startup telling me it's out, and it's on the new releases tab, but it still says it's a preorder. I'd rather not spend $50 only to have to wait a week to download it.

maniac-kun said:
how come they put this stupid drm shit on highly anticipated games and scare off A LOT of customers who love the game but dont want such bullshit... people who just download the game illegaly get the supperiour product. (like they fucked up spore with it)
This and this is why!
First Link:
Guy asks if he and his girlfriend can install the game the same time because they have similar systems
Second link:
guy asks if he can share the game with his friends

I think the missing Multiplayer Mode is doing the rest here. You can buy the game, give it to a friend and he can install it as well. Without downloading the ISO you can download a crack after this and then play the game without the DVD. This "market" is huge in schools and stuff. They had to do something to prevent the average joe from copying the game that easily.

Proc

Caesar III said:
This and this is why!
First Link:
Guy asks if he and his girlfriend can install the game the same time because they have similar systems
Second link:
guy asks if he can share the game with his friends

I think the missing Multiplayer Mode is doing the rest here. You can buy the game, give it to a friend and he can install it as well. Without downloading the ISO you can download a crack after this and then play the game without the DVD. This "market" is huge in schools and stuff. They had to do something to prevent the average joe from copying the game that easily.

Most of us are up in arms about the tages being included in the steam product though...

Proc said:
Most of us are up in arms about the tages being included in the steam product though...
we are not the main target audience ;) The average joe is. At least in Germany. Anno is something like Sims here.

Zzoram

I'll still wait on this until Tages is gone. It gives me a good reason to wait for a Gold Edition with multiplayer anyways.

They will remove Tages with one of the upcomming patches. I remember them saying something like this. Let the game be out half a year. I think the Gold Edition will be TAGES less ;)

I still can't believe they are releasing another Anno without multiplayer again. In this day and age. Fair enough some games don't need multiplayer but this is a frigging RTS for god sake.

Caesar III said:
They will remove Tages with one of the upcomming patches.

Any chance you remember where you heard this? Linkable source? If so, then that is wonderfull. Limiting the limits to only a handfull of months to cover the launch window and then removing them is fine with me.

Proc

CabbageRed said:
Any chance you remember where you heard this? Linkable source? If so, then that is wonderfull. Limiting the limits to only a handfull of months to cover the launch window and then removing them is fine with me.

+1

Zzoram

CabbageRed said:

Yeah me too. Bioshock did that, and when the DRM came off, and it was on sale on Steam, I bought it.

Doytch

Sounds good. You look like you've been staying up on the news on 1404, so hopefully they're still planning on stripping it out later. I'll definitely be around for a Gold edition sans DRM.

I'll try to back this up tomorrow. I hope I can find that particular posting or whatever/whereever it was.
I'm on my DSi right now, so you have to wait ;-)

Played 1 hour (first two chapters of story mode) of Wii version:

Quick impressions:

+ Graphics and art style are great. Controls perfectly. Good voice-acting.
- Obviously less complex than PC offering.

Zzoram said:
Nobody talking about the Wii version? I guess this game isn't going to do so well in the NPD.
Did you expect it to or?
I'm sure it will sell 15 copies but who cares. If you have a Wii, BUY IT. It's a great fucking game and at 30$ a downright steal.

pvpness

DevelopmentArrested said:
Did you expect it to or?
I'm sure it will sell 15 copies but who cares. If you have a Wii, BUY IT. It's a great fucking game and at 30$ a downright steal.

This couldn't be more true.

Zzoram

DevelopmentArrested said:
Did you expect it to or?

Anno is $30 on Wii?

Zzoram

Caesar III said:
even if its 50 bucks, BUY BUY BUY!

I want to know where the $30 remarks came from. $30 sounds a lot better than $50, especially since I eventually want the PC version if/when Tages comes off for a Gold edition.

rpmurphy

Can anyone comment on the DS version? How different is it from the Wii version and 1701 DS in terms of content and price?

Luthair

I had my 1st upset moment in 1404 last night -.- I needed leather clothes, but the tannery needs a river -.- Im on the ONLY islands without a river, since I didnt want to deal with building around them... Gah now Ill have to manage 5 islands and get more boats :-(

Wii version is that cheap because it's a niche game in NA, yeah :)

DS game is at least as big as the last one and compareable to the Wii version.

Ranger X

I just went through the tutos and first missions through the campaign (on Wii) and this game is incredibly nice and well done.

If you planed to play a strategy game on Wii, PLEASE don't hesitate. This is a fucking steal at 29,99$. It's ridiculously great.

Bluecondor

Ranger X said:
I just went through the tutos and first missions through the campaign (on Wii) and this game is incredibly nice and well done.

If you planed to play a strategy game on Wii, PLEASE don't hesitate. This is a fucking steal at 29,99$. It's ridiculously great.

+1

This game is phenomenal. The interface alone is both unique and effective. Even though the story mode is basically a long tutorial for the game, the game has enough atmosphere to make you care about what you are doing.

And - for those who are playing the game - I absolutely hate the Prince's brother (not even a spoiler). I love it when a game makes the characters feel real.

Deku

Banned
Got the Wii version for $29.99 cdn, one of the cheapest game on the shelf.

Couldn't find the PC version on sale, so I don't know about pricing for that.

Been playing the game for 11 hours now. It's a fun game.

The campaign is fairly easy though. A lot of hand holding and it feels like you can't really lose the game that easily. On the other hand it's more relaxing to play and you can play at your own pace and enjoy the jaw dropping graphics.

antispin

My Wii version is on its way, along with Space Invaders Extreme. Loved the previous version on the DS, can't wait to try it out on the Wii.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The PC version looks so fucking good. I would burn down an orphanage for Civ 5 to look this good.

Proc

Spire said:
The PC version looks so fucking good. I would burn down an orphanage for Civ 5 to look this good.

I'm still so tempted to buy this. I should just ignore the tages shit shouldn't I.

Surfheart

Hope people don't mind, I'm reposting these from the PC screenshot thread, but this thread seemed appropriate for them too. :)

screenshot0000-1.jpg

screenshot0001-1.jpg

screenshot0002-1.jpg

screenshot0003-1.jpg

screenshot0004-1.jpg

screenshot0006-1.jpg

markot

Banned
I like the small changes to this game so far. And the graphics are so great.

Got it for the PC, year DRM sucks, but its anno and I want it to do well >.<

Might even get the Wii and DS versions too >.>! Seems like they all rock and are tailored to their platforms well ^_^

Top Bottom