• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the ANNO 1404 (DAWN OF DISCOVERY) |OT|

Sleeker

cool
i think i will just restart the level and try that.
I started off so poorly that all these people were exodusing my city and I had no money left.

It seems to me like you have to follow a very linear by-the-mission-in-order-it-was-given path in Campaign mode. I built an iron smelter on the wrong island and never received the final mission to bring Guy Forcas tool in Chapter 3. Couldn't finish it. 2 hours wasted. Fun game otherwise though. However, I still can't get it to work on my girlfriend's computer.

Sleeker

Okay now what do i do?

I am supposed to send an expedition boat out to Al Zahir for a distress call...or something?

anyone know what this means??

markot

Banned
Your flahship, the one you start with. Take it to the docks you built in the north, and transfer the letter thingy into your ship, then you use it I think and the ship goes to get help automatically, then you just have to wait.

I startet a "continuous play" game..played for 5 hours and forgot to save every now and then. o_o When I wanted to save I accidentally loaded the game from...like 4 hours before. :lol Well, I had shitty Island connections anyway so it'S time to start over. :)

Sleeker

okay now i have hit another roadblock.

I'm on the level after you battle kardinal lucious, the one where you have to bring the witches their milk.

I need to build an indigo farm, but its greyed out.
It says i need to reach a diplomatic level to unlock them but i dont know how to get it.

Meier

I tried to get into Anno 1703 last year and then again this past weekend to see if I should pick this up... it just doesn't feel right to me. The trading system, the resource management.. it isn't very fluid. Has this improved over the years?

My friends have all been playing this, just ordered the collector's edition for £29.99 from Amazon, can't wait for my Almonds :lol

chico

Sleeker said:
okay now i have hit another roadblock.

I'm on the level after you battle kardinal lucious, the one where you have to bring the witches their milk.

I need to build an indigo farm, but its greyed out.
It says i need to reach a diplomatic level to unlock them but i dont know how to get it.

please use spoiler tags... Thanks!

I bought this on Steam, after I installed it it kept telling me, "YOU MUST RUN THIS PROGRAM AS AN ADMINISTRATOR"

I AM the administrator, and I right clicked on the launch icon on my desktop and did "launch as administrator" so why the fuck is it saying that =(

Obviously I'm using Vista...

Got my game today. Might post pictures tomorrow (got the special edition one). Game installed fine, but got an initial error which was in German. Restarted game and it's worked fine.

Haven't really had a proper go yet but I'm now able to play the game on higher settings. Seems to chug along a bit in places so I might lower them, but damn the water reflection and details in general are stunning.

I've not been this excited about PC gaming since HL2 was released. :D

flarkminator said:
I bought this on Steam, after I installed it it kept telling me, "YOU MUST RUN THIS PROGRAM AS AN ADMINISTRATOR"

I AM the administrator, and I right clicked on the launch icon on my desktop and did "launch as administrator" so why the fuck is it saying that =(

Obviously I'm using Vista...
Try going into the main game exe's properties and checking the compatibility mode for XP.

JoseJX

Just finished the story mode on "Normal" difficulty on the Wii version and I thought I might post some quick thoughts.

The Wii version is certainly a streamlined version of Anno, much in the way that Civilization Revolution is a streamlined version of Civ. There isn't a whole lot of depth, but it's still a fun time waster if you like these kinds of games. I spent an enjoyable 15 hours or so playing the story mode, but this was certainly lengthened by my OCD kicking in when improving my islands. The story mode is best described as an extremely long tutorial, I always felt like someone was nagging me to stop messing around with building placement and go do something already. :lol

The "Central Store" makes resource management much easier and is a welcome addition on the console, but I doubt I'd be quite as charitable if it creeped into the PC version. The combat is a bit clunky, but it's workable. By far the best experience is, as can be expected, building up your various islands. It's quite relaxing building little empires and ensuring that your people are fed, happy and safe. If you're wondering, the graphics are actually pretty easy on the eyes, with bright colors and easily identified buildings (besides the rat catcher/hospital/firehouse which could use more differentiation), without being too kiddy or out of place. I was quickly bored with treasure hunting, but besides that, the game works very well and I've still got an itch to go play some more. :D

I'll certainly dig into the continuous mode next, as I didn't even complete the tech tree once during the story mode. I definitely feel like I got my $30 worth and it's a fun "Anno Lite" to kick back and enjoy once in a while, much like Civ Rev.

I really liked the Wii version but after playing the PC now for 10+ hours I cannot go back.
Just finished Chapter 4 in the Campaign. Took about 4 hours. Jesus, this game is awesome.
So addictive, you always want to upgrade and go to the next step.

Might finally get round to getting stuck into this a bit later today. Setting up my new laptop so I've been busy.

Here's a pic of my special edition. It's all rather awesome stuff. One of the best Special editions I've seen/bought. Only 30,000 made, I'm in the 24,000's.

vdjwoz.jpg

dyls

Just started Chapter 6 of the Wii game, definitely enjoying it so far. Controls are great, it's polished and well-presented, and the learning curve is as gentle as could be, although this chapter is the first time I haven't breezed through pretty easily. I agree that the Story mode is basically the longest tutorial ever, but I think it works well for the general Wii audience, who, of course, have never heard of this game. Hopefully the $30 price tag will spur at least some sales. Strategy/city-building veterans will probably get bored pretty quick, but it's perfect for novices like me.

The lack of an undo option is a killer though. I like to build up my cities from a pretty zoomed out view, and it's easy to miss by a single grid when placing a building. I've probably destroyed and rebuilt a dozen buildings over the campaign because of it. It would also be nice to have a clearer view of how my stocks are doing. Sometimes it seems like everything is fine and then suddenly my people are starving. Just a mention on the levels screen that a certain stock is dropping below acceptable levels would be nice, before my citizens start to revolt on their taxes.

I'm excited to get into continuous mode, if only so I won't have to hear that bitch remind me what I'm supposed to be doing every 45 seconds. I get it, I need to build a water pump on that island, but I need some fucking spice to get my citizens to patricians to get to city level 3 and none of my islands have any spice fertility. I'll kill you.

I actually took a day off from playing yesterday because the night before all of my dreams were spent trying to balance dairy and pottery levels. Definitely a game that gets into your head a bit. In any case, at $30 it's a no-brainer. So why so few reviews, I wonder? Usually at least IGN is good about reviewing all of the lesser-known Wii games, but even they dropped the ball this time. A shame.

Katana_Strikes said:
Might finally get round to getting stuck into this a bit later today. Setting up my new laptop so I've been busy.

Here's a pic of my special edition. It's all rather awesome stuff. One of the best Special editions I've seen/bought. Only 30,000 made, I'm in the 24,000's.
Looks nice, that box is huge :lol, mines on the way, doesn't look like I'll get it before the weekend though, can't really complain, only £30, thanks Amazon.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
All that for £30, yet on consoles they charge a extra £10 for some shitty Tin and a crap extra DVD.

Darkflight said:
Looks nice, that box is huge :lol, mines on the way, doesn't look like I'll get it before the weekend though, can't really complain, only £30, thanks Amazon.

Well mine came a few days quicker than the deliver time. Got it last Saturday but wasn't down to get it until today.

Finally got stuck in earlier and finished Chapter II. Didn't have a clue how to build a Hemp plantation (as in the demo), only to find I had to lower my taxes to get them to "evolve" and get new buildings. Wasn't obvious what to do.

Seems to be lots to build over level 1's selection. So looks to be plenty to keep you busy.

IGN US review: http://wii.ign.com/articles/100/1001560p1.html
7.5 Presentation
The retail packaging does its best bargain bin impression, but don't be fooled because the game itself is full of presentational polish.
7.5 Graphics
The stylized, cartoony art style is instantly appealing, and the little animation touches like real physics governing units hovering before placement seal the deal.
6.5 Sound
The game's soundtrack and audio design may be the weakest element overall, but at least you won't be diving for the mute button every time the game loads up.
8.0 Gameplay
Deep, yet accessible. Simplified, yet rewarding. City building fans will find a lot to love here.
7.5 Lasting Appeal
Completing the nearly ten-hour Story Mode will only whet your appetite for the game's Continuous Play option, meaning you'll be coming back time and time again. Co-op also included too.
Impressive OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Graphics... 7.5 .... ? :lol

Seriously, unless I'm completely blind and/or I got another version of Anna 1404 than these guys, this game certainly has to get a 9.5 or 10 for its graphics.

GoDLiKe

Started to play Anno on DS and became a fan, so I played Dawn of Discovery on Wii and it's awesome.

I know it's a "lite" version, but what are the real differences between Wii/DS and PC?

Frankfurter said:
Graphics... 7.5 .... ? :lol

Seriously, unless I'm completely blind and/or I got another version of Anna 1404 than these guys, this game certainly has to get a 9.5 or 10 for its graphics.
Wii version.

Zzoram

Why does IGN's Wii review mention co-op? I thought it wasn't real co-op, just a random 2nd pointer that can't do anything but be annoying.

dyls

6.5 Sound
The game's soundtrack and audio design may be the weakest element overall, but at least you won't be diving for the mute button every time the game loads up.

Zuh? The voice acting is terrific (and wonderfully skippable, which should always be worth an extra point) and the music is exactly what it should be—non-intrusive and atmospheric.

markot

Banned
Plaguefox said:
Okay, I'm officially asking for GAF intelligence with a problem I'm having on the PC version of the game.

I'm on chapter 5 currently, and the only quest available to me at the moment is "Preservation of Knowledge".

The intellectual bloke keeps telling me he wants me to help defend his place with three warships. I built and delivered three warships days and days ago but he just keeps asking me to assign them to him. Any time I move them away from his base, he acknowledges that they're near his base and begs me not to remove them.

I'm not sure what should prompt the crusaders to attack again, but I can't figure it out. I've been spending days growing my town and I've completely eclipsed the normal pace of the tutorial campaign by doing so. I've now hit my patience limit and it's time to move on to chapter 6.

But what am I missing that will make the crusaders attack this guy already?

I've seen one other person online with this problem and the offered answers didn't help, unfortunately. Anyone recognize this situation?

That happened to me >.< one of the quests glitched I think, so I just restarted the level. Worked properly the second time through. Annoying though >_<

I'm about to start Chapter 5 and I'm worried about this as I have seen numerous others will similar problems on this level. I really think it's just poor mission design. It happens on other Chapters too. Even if you do missions in the exact order they are given, you might STILL get glitched out. It sucks.

dyls said:
Just started Chapter 6 of the Wii game,... $30 price tag... In any case, at $30 it's a no-brainer...
I just wanted to point out the Wii version is $20 at Walmart.com. It is easily the best $20 I have spent on a video game this gen. I have a few issues with the game but for that price and no better option I can easily overlook all of them.

[Nintex] said:
The Wii version looks great though, clean and not a jagfest like Simcity Creator.
That did surprise me, not a jaggy in sight. Is it because of the cartoony graphics or did they do something?

Damn!
Every day I read in the official forums I find out someting new they did worse! :(
The graphics and the ideas with all the new ressources and stuff are really great but all they changed I cannot stand :(

just to sum up a bit what I am talking about:

- no multiplayer
- cheating AI
- no real demanding AI - you can sell everything in every amount to them
- AI does not use the sold ressources - it's just for you to get money and nothing else
- there are only 3 big islands in endless mode
- a lot of mission bugs
- silly "find citicen xy" subquests
- annoying lord
- you can refill all the limited ressources by spending some money (again and again and again)
- norias can multiply the productivity - if you build up 4 norias next to each other, everything within their combined circles only needs one field to have 100%

this makes me so sad :(

DevelopmentArrested said:
I'm about to start Chapter 5 and I'm worried about this as I have seen numerous others will similar problems on this level. I really think it's just poor mission design. It happens on other Chapters too. Even if you do missions in the exact order they are given, you might STILL get glitched out. It sucks.

I've just done that part without any problems. :D

Does anyone know if there's random maps for endless mode or just one? Would be cool if there's random, or maybe make some free downloadables ones...

Google

Bending_Unit_22 said:
It is easily the best $20 I have spent on a video game this gen. I have a few issues with the game but for that price and no better option I can easily overlook all of them.

I just picked this up for $30 CAD, after playing and enjoying the shit out of the PC version.

Really looking forward to it.

Just finished Chapter 5. Pretty intense towards the end. Thought it messed up at one point but a certain quest isn't finished until another quest was.

Can't wait to start endless mode and put everything what I've learned into one big thing.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Am I missing something here, I brought some coal from one island to the other so I could smelt some iron, but the iron smelter is still saying they need coal, it seems to just be sitting in the warehouse and I can't do anything with it.

Just had to take part in a survey after quitting the game. Mentioned a bit about multiplayer and how interested you would be plus a mentin of an expansion pack amongst other things.

Just finished Chapter VI and really hated it. Was really enjoying the game up till that point. Thankfully it's over and there won't be more like it. Didn't have a clue what was happening, just gets way too much and hectic. Eurgh!

Got my collector's edition today, I didn't expect the wooden box to look so good, apparently my chair faces north :lol Will start it tomorrow evening - Katana_Strikes - 11,432/30,000 for my collector's edition :D

dyls

Finished the (Wii) story mode last night; a satisfying experience right up to the end. Ready to get started on Endless mode tonight. I like that there are so many options for setting up the world, but there's always a part of me that wants to make it just super easy to waltz through the whole thing. Maybe I'll go with random settings to avoid the urge.

People complain about the lack of big (non-Nintendo) games on the Wii, but I'm totally happy getting things like this. Smaller, well-thought out and well-executed experiences that use the Wiimote smartly and offer something different than the normal console fair. Kudos, Keen.

inner-G

Banned
So I picked this up due to the badass screenshots and... holy shit!

Not only is it gorgeous, it is awesome gameplay-wise. I just got a warning because I'd been playing 2 hrs. straight :D

Google

Played the first 'mission' on the Wii version last night, and was really impressed with the way the presentation is handled.

Cute cutscenes, mixed with clean and well drawn art.

Really enjoyed it.

Top Bottom