• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

black_13 said:
My next car might be the 94 celica GT4 so I can drive it all year long.

I HATE YOU! and by hate I mean the most intense jealousy.

Man I hate the United States car laws, especially California with its strictiest emission laws.

the ST205 celica is the best one every made. On my list of cars I want really bad its near the top under NSX, a pristine BMW E21, and a perfectly restored Jaguar XJ6:

Jaguar-XJ6-Series-I-Maroon.jpg

sigh...

Smokey

America's supercar, Corvette Zr1:

2009%20Corvette%20ZR1%20Official.jpg

2009CorvetteZR1Detroit.jpg

Chevrolet_corvette-ZR1_237_09.jpg

Please stay alive GM..just for this car.

:(

I've wanted a Vette since I can remember man. All of them have a crazy amount of power in them, but the ZR1? *whistles*

It's too bad VW is changing the Rabbit's name back. I would get a kick out of telling people I drive a rabbit. Golf, not so much.

They should bring out the new Polo here and call it the Rabbit.

Volkswagen-Polo.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Smokey said:
America's supercar, Corvette Zr1:

Please stay alive GM..just for this car.

:(

I've wanted a Vette since I can remember man. All of them have a crazy amount of power in them, but the ZR1? *whistles*

Corvette would survive, methinks, as a smaller, perhaps privately owned Shelby-type car. The amazing recent batch of Vettes have saved the marque's reputation. Hell, improved it. The new Vettes basically compete with Ferraris, but for a bargain price.

Smokey

iidesuyo said:
To me this looks very bland, like from the mid-90's...

That's one of the only complaints about Vettes. You get supercar power starting at around 50K for the BASE model (the ZR1 i posted is 100K), but the interiors of the cars leave a lot to be desired. There's a lot of plastic inside and you'd expect a little more when paying 50k+ for a car. But most people who buy vettes aren't too concerned about the interiors:D

OuterWorldVoice said:
Corvette would survive, methinks, as a smaller, perhaps privately owned Shelby-type car. The amazing recent batch of Vettes have saved the marque's reputation. Hell, improved it. The new Vettes basically compete with Ferraris, but for a bargain price.

I know, it's crazy. They don't have the status factor like a European sports car, but the BASE model at 50K competes with the Ferrari's & Porsches. As you move up in trim models the amount of power only gets crazier.

Really the only reason I want GM to survive actually, like I said I've wanted this car since I can remember. It's my main motivation to get the hell through college:lol .

vangace

I am big Nissan fan, my family has owned nothing but Nissan/Datsun. I drive an 08 Altima. One thing that confuses me about the Renault-Nissan alliance is I don't get why Nissan is not re-badging some of Renault's best cars is bring them over to the US. Its the same thing with Ford, my cousin who lives in the UK drives a Ford Focus and its absolutely gorgeous. Just a thought..

Zyzyxxz

vangace said:
I am big Nissan fan, my family has owned nothing but Nissan/Datsun. I drive an 08 Altima. One thing that confuses me about the Renault-Nissan alliance is I don't get why Nissan is not re-badging some of Renault's best cars is bring them over to the US. Its the same thing with Ford, my cousin who lives in the UK drives a Ford Focus and its absolutely gorgeous. Just a thought..

Because car companies hate Americans. They never want us to have the coolest cars.

Look at Ford and their Australian and Euro cars, so many good vehicles we'll never get a chance to drive.

iidesuyo

sonarrat said:
Never ask a German to make an English car. (Yeah yeah Mini, it wouldn't have happened without Alec Issigonis' blueprint)

Yeah, it's not like German carmakers saved the ass of _what was left_ of the UK carmakers.

Zyzyxxz said:
What position adn is it a contract job or a permanent position? I've heard many companies these days, including Toyota contract most of their workers.

I've always wanted to work for a car company but I guess I should have majored in engineering then.

Im not in engineering, this is simply a technician position, well eventually. Gotta start at the bottom :( . It would be full time though, not contracted.

Smokey said:
Really the only reason I want GM to survive actually, like I said I've wanted this car since I can remember. It's my main motivation to get the hell through college:lol .

You'll get it eventually just work extra overtime. :)

My dad has an 07 vette convertible in dark blue, manual(the true way to get a vette), my dad let me drive it ONCE. Let me tell you, it was sex in car form. My dad got it for like 35grand brand new summer 07(since he traded in his 2000 miata for it). Here's some shots of it:

nl7i4g.jpg

2m2dr46.jpg

ej6744.jpg

And here's a few shots of my 08 Mazda3 GT because I dont have any snazzy supercar or prototype cars to show:

8xq0ch.jpg

8xu1zr.jpg

oi62jn.jpg

wisjv9.jpg

I love bmws but that 5 series (concept car?) is god awful. It looks like that charger looking thing... I think it's called a calibur. It suffers the same problem it slopes back to much making it look like a damn station wagon. Also, corvettes are pure sex so keep walking ladies.

Edit: Also, what's the difference between a zr1 and a z06?

Edit2: Apparently zr1 makes the z06 it's bitch. Damn, I could die happy after owning one of those...

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Edit2: Apparently zr1 makes the z06 it's bitch. Damn, I could die happy after owning one of those...

ZR1 makes everything it's bitch.

well, except for the Viper ACR

dodge-viper-srt10-acr-2008-785248.jpg

so awesome.

Smokey

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I love bmws but that 5 series (concept car?) is god awful. It looks like that charger looking thing... I think it's called a calibur. It suffers the same problem it slopes back to much making it look like a damn station wagon. Also, corvettes are pure sex so keep walking ladies.

Edit: Also, what's the difference between a zr1 and a z06?

The Corvette's pretty much make everything their bitch (price/performance ratio). The base Corvette's hang w/ the European sports car and when you get to the Z06 and especially ZR1 it's a wrap unless you want to pay over 150K for a very small difference in performance( and of course the status of having Euro sports car).

Lionheart1827 said:
You'll get it eventually just work extra overtime. :)

My dad has an 07 vette convertible in dark blue, manual(the true way to get a vette), my dad let me drive it ONCE. Let me tell you, it was sex in car form. My dad got it for like 35grand brand new summer 07(since he traded in his 2000 miata for it). Here's some shots of it:

nl7i4g.jpg

ej6744.jpg

So sexy. What trim Vette is this?

Smokey said:

I'm not entirely sure. I'll have to ask my dad on that one. I'm pretty sure it was just the most basic convertible trim though. He doesnt have the power top so I'm guessing 1LT. :)

Zyzyxxz

Lionheart1827 said:
I'm not entirely sure. I'll have to ask my dad on that one. I'm pretty sure it was just the most basic convertible trim though. He doesnt have the power top so I'm guessing 1LT. :)

for 35 grand is was probably the base trim.

Not a bad price though either way, he could have gotten the last gen ZO6 instead but then again the new one looks better!

Zyzyxxz said:
for 35 grand is was probably the base trim.

Not a bad price though either way, he could have gotten the last gen ZO6 instead but then again the new one looks better!

Yeah he could've easily gotten the last gen Z06 but he wanted a new new car. So much fun.

daw840

Smokey said:
The Corvette's pretty much make everything their bitch (price/performance ratio). The base Corvette's hang w/ the European sports car and when you get to the Z06 and especially ZR1 it's a wrap unless you want to pay over 150K for a very small difference in performance( and of course the status of having Euro sports car).

Even most Ferrari's won't stand up to a ZR1. This car is truly sex on wheels. I would gladly trade my GF for one. Hell, I'd trade her for a Kit-Kat at this point.

black_13

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
I HATE YOU! and by hate I mean the most intense jealousy.

Man I hate the United States car laws, especially California with its strictiest emission laws.

the ST205 celica is the best one every made. On my list of cars I want really bad its near the top under NSX, a pristine BMW E21, and a perfectly restored Jaguar XJ6:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-jkl/Jaguar-XJ6-Series-I-Maroon.jpg

sigh...
Nice to see another fan of those. 1+ respect for you my man. I love that gen Celi, its got the looks and performance with the GT4 version. Move up to Canada next year and you'll get to drive these sexy cars.
toyota_celica_gt4_niot.net%20(2).jpg

This one is from the UK and it's pushing 600hp.
And another sexy blue one.
25gxdeb.jpg

black_13

Banned
Also great bunch of car shots in a beautiful city!
If it's too many pics in one page for low speed internet people then I'll just post the links.

444456018_776d06ac2f_b.jpg

451950110_94f19b8ce7_b.jpg

457181122_e182ca789a_b.jpg

466476175_3f2c039da3_b.jpg

490837091_117e343d99_b.jpg

517114573_3dfcc770bb_b.jpg

539320619_49d5613864_b.jpg

551067945_49737eb2d1_b.jpg

882159520_a71ab73d45_b.jpg

2382446714_da9faaf70c_b.jpg

2424933196_813dcdfb43_b.jpg

2669868361_079892a2c9_b.jpg

2721952324_0f33aa6d1b_b.jpg

2721764042_0c701bdf5a_b.jpg

2758667209_0e03e2b74b_b.jpg

2761654299_ed70f99809_b.jpg

zhenming

black_13 said:
If it's too many pics in one page for low speed internet people then I'll just post the links.
[/IMG]
OOOHHH wee! what camera?

The chick in the land rover is funny haha.

Smokey

black_13 said:

Really nice pics, but this one bothers the hell out of me. Maybe it's the way the photo is but the car looks HUGE and she looks small. Also she doesn't know what the hell to do with a car like this. Just look at her. Dumb blonde chick w/ fake hair driving hubby's car to go get groceries that's all!

517114573_3dfcc770bb_b.jpg

Rover's w/ Rims are the best looking SUVs. White ones like this are soooo nice. On stock rims they look weird to me though. I saw a white on white Rover a few months ago with white leather inside *drool*.

457181122_e182ca789a_b.jpg

This. This is awesome. Lambo's are the best looking sports cars IMO.

Zyzyxxz

wow beautfil shots Black_13, what city is that? Also do you have higher res versions!

I want wallpaper of that lambo NAO!

Smokey

Zyzyxxz said:
wow beautfil shots Black_13, what city is that? Also do you have higher res versions!

Florida maybe? I know you said city but still. That VB has a Florida tag.

robox

iidesuyo said:
From a 50k car? Something less plastic
i donno man, you get that car for the huge lump that goes like stink. you want luxury for that price, you get a mercedes S320 or somethin'...

iidesuyo

Seat Exeo. Based upon the Audi A4 (8E/8H), but a lot cheaper :D

seat-exeo-uk-21.jpg

SEAT_Exeo_lowres_II.jpg

Škoda Yeti

skoda_yeti_2_521.jpg

Dacia Duster (concept). Pretty interesting what Renault is making out of that Romanian brand.

000_daciaduster_opt_450de.jpg

Stinkles

iidesuyo said:
From a 50k car? Something less plastic

It's almost, but not quite impossible to defend the Corvette's interior. It's boring, plasticky, dull, bordering on ugly. But if you only buy a car for it's interior, get an Audi.

The new Vette transcends its cockpit. It is a true driver's car and is almost dripping with soul and power. Nothing comes even close for that price, and frankly it goes toe to toe with cars four times its cost.

black_13 said:

444456018_776d06ac2f_b.jpg

Love the GT. Such classic lines. Only American super car ever made?

Though I remember Clarkson Having a whole bunch of problems with it.

The F430 is also a new fucking classic. Fantastic car.

Re posted for hotness.

Smokey

OuterWorldVoice said:
It's almost, but not quite impossible to defend the Corvette's interior. It's boring, plasticky, dull, bordering on ugly. But if you only buy a car for it's interior, get an Audi.

The new Vette transcends its cockpit. It is a true driver's car and is almost dripping with soul and power. Nothing comes even close for that price, and frankly it goes toe to toe with cars four times its cost.

This is true. I think Chevy even knows that for the price the interior could be a BIT better...but come on..if you're buying a Vette you really aren't too concerned about the look of the interior.

I have yet to drive one or even ride in one, but it still remains my car that I've wanted since a child.

Stinkles

Before Pontiac destroyed the connotations of the name, the "Aztec" was one of the prettiest not ugliest cars ever. Italdesign's Giuigaro Aztec concept was based on Audi AWD tech and had a split cockpit for two passengers, connected electronically. It still looks futuristic. 1988, btw.

Giuigaro also designed the Subaru SVX which shares some of the concepts.

8vrxgi.jpg

mwp3ir.jpg

daw840

Zyzyxxz said:
World Car of the Year Finalist announced:

2009 World Car Finalists
Ford Fiesta
Toyota iQ
Volkswagen Golf VI

Seriously?!? They still make this pile of crap? That hasn't been in the USA forever!

kathode

Was thinking about getting a new car, but they delayed my baby, the Cadillac CTS coupe.

2yyw66c.jpg

Not coming until summer 2010 apparently. Other car I'm considering, Mercedes C-class.

2009MercedesC-Class.jpg

Zyzyxxz

kathode said:
Was thinking about getting a new car, but they delayed my baby, the Cadillac CTS coupe.

2yyw66c.jpg

Not coming until summer 2010 apparently. Other car I'm considering, Mercedes C-class.

http://www.barcprograms.org/Images/2009MercedesC-Class.jpg

C63 AMG baby! If you can afford it that is.

The C300 is a nice car though, I really was impressed with it when I drove it.

I'm not sure what price the CTS coupe was going to be at but a CLK would be in the same class? Those are really nice. Though reliability wise, I can't say much for em.

daw840

Funky Papa said:
mmm

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/09/01_fiesta-dsc_1250.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/09/15_fiesta-dsc_1316.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/09/26_fiesta-dsc_1391.jpg[/IMG

A piece of shit this is not.[/QUOTE]

Come a long way, it has.

[img]http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/classics/F/ford/03-large/ford-fiesta-1983.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Zyzyxxz said:

Miami! Seeing those pics make waiting for my trip there even more frustrating.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Rapping Granny said:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/457181122_e182ca789a_b.jpg

WOW higher res please.[/QUOTE]

I love Lambo doors since they're so quintessential to a Lambo imo. If/when I buy a Lamborghini, those doors are a must, which means Gallardos (the cheaper model) are out of my consideration =/

kathode

Zyzyxxz said:
C63 AMG baby! If you can afford it that is.

The C300 is a nice car though, I really was impressed with it when I drove it.

I'm not sure what price the CTS coupe was going to be at but a CLK would be in the same class? Those are really nice. Though reliability wise, I can't say much for em.

Haha, I read up on the AMG-branded one but I don't think it's for me. Seven gears is too much for a dedicated performance car IMO, and reviews said the ride is stiff and rough with no "comfort" option. It does look like a lot of fun, but not really what I'm looking for in a daily driver. The CTS coupe will probably be on level price-wise with a lower level C-class, unless they actually come out with the rumored CTS-V version of the coupe. Which would be drool-worthy. Whatever I get, I want it completely tricked out with all options available, so it always jacks the price up. I'm content to puddle around in my 2005 Corolla for a while longer anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom