• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Spaceman Spiff said:
No, not at all. I completely agree with you. The original NSX was a classic, with chassis input from Ayrton Senna and all, and developed back when Honda was in the glory days of its F1 domination. I'd take an NA2 NSX over any contemporary Japanese sports car, even the almighty GT-R. It really was something special.

Yeah thats why I'm not interested in any current Japanese cars.

I'm really hoping to save up money to buy a NSX in the future since they go for 25-30K for a decent one with relatively low mileage.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
twinturbo2 said:
I don't know why, but I'm falling in love with the new Ford Mustang.

Ford_Mustang-GT_739_1024x768.jpg

the ONLY thing i dont like about the mustangs is those dang headlights ...car looks sad, didnt some italian company mod the mustang and change the headlights. From all other views the car is sweet.

Viperbah

Hi all....wanted to post my car on here.....I am in to mostly GM related engines...this is my 02 firehawk it's cammed with some other stuff.....~420 wrhp....It ran 11.9 with street tires.

n6218319_40979856_8132.jpg

blanky

zhenming said:
What's up with the next gen head lights on japanese cars???
A more official prius pic...

that is awful. But seems like its Nissan's new key feauture. Wasn't so bad on the GT-R

I love the current Suzuki Swift though. Awesome car, my parents have 5 a doors, but i'd love to have this one, the Swift Sport.

060905002.jpg

zhenming

blanky said:
that is awful. But seems like its Nissan's new key feauture. Wasn't so bad on the GT-R

I love the current Suzuki Swift though. Awesome car, my parents have 5 a doors, but i'd love to have this one, the Swift Sport.

060905002.jpg
The Swift is such a fun small car, had some fun in one when I was in asia.

Lamborghini Insecta

Playing a quick game of automotive-animal word association, you'd probably link Lamborghini to a bull. Between the emblem on the hood, supercars named after famous fighting bulls and the farming roots of the company, the association is well established. Iulian Bumbu thinks otherwise. The aspiring Romanian car designer, who interned at Alfa Romeo's styling department after earning his master's in car design in Milan, created the design study you see here.

Called the Insecta, the radical concept's design elements were borrowed from bugs instead of bovines. Combining organic shapes with Lamborghini's trademark geometric angles, the Insecta concept integrates themes culled from the body armour observed on certain species of insects. With its dimensions and powertrain borrowed from the Gallardo, the Insecta would pack a sting as sharp as its buzz, and it could make a compelling successor to the current LP560-4 – but Lambo would have to drop a load of bull first.

lamborghini-insecta-concept-1-lg.jpg

lamborghini-insecta-concept-2-lg.jpg

lamborghini-insecta-concept-5-lg.jpg

lamborghini-insecta-concept-4-lg.jpg

Zyzyxxz

bah321 said:
Hi all....wanted to post my car on here.....I am in to mostly GM related engines...this is my 02 firehawk it's cammed with some other stuff.....~420 wrhp....It ran 11.9 with street tires.

n6218319_40979856_8132.jpg

hah wow 11.9, I assume you can do some crazy ass burnouts too.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
DonasaurusRex said:
the ONLY thing i dont like about the mustangs is those dang headlights ...car looks sad, didnt some italian company mod the mustang and change the headlights. From all other views the car is sweet.
I'm perfectly okay with it, it's just that the sport package won't be available until the summer. :-(

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Cheeto said:
New mustang looks awesome, its a shame that its too underpowered for prices, especially the 6cyl.
Well, the Mustang GT may be down 100 HP compared to the Camaro, but it's also down 200-300 pounds on the Camaro, too. It's nothing a cat-back exhaust and ECU tune won't fix. :D

robox

zhenming said:
lexus gs
VS
mb e-class
lexus ls is the best, best looking at least, mega luxo barge. i love its classy, elegant styling and it doesn't have weird lines and creases that newer mb and bmw have that detract from their upper class image. on the other hand, it can be considered really really plain looking with no distinctive styling cues. but it still looks so good without that stuff. maybe it's the proportions. i wonder why other cars can't look this good, if it really is so plain.
WALD_INTERNATIONAL_LS460_004.jpg

zhenming

r - b - x said:
lexus ls is the best, best looking at least, mega luxo barge. i love its classy, elegant styling and it doesn't have weird lines and creases that newer mb and bmw have that detract from their upper class image. on the other hand, it can be considered really really plain looking with no distinctive styling cues. but it still looks so good without that stuff. maybe it's the proportions. i wonder why other cars can't look this good, if it really is so plain.
True Bmw and Merc are really exaggerating their chrome....

DonasaurusRex said:

Looks wise, the new Mustangs are very, very good, so is the Dodge Challenger.

But as long as they continue to handle like fucking horse drawn carriages they are nothing but flashy sexiness on the outside and floppy, shallow, incompetence on the inside.

They are the automotive equivalent of erectile dysfunction. They are cars for people who want to look flash, but couldn't give a flying shit about driving. Posers.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
AndersTheSwede said:

But as long as they continue to handle like fucking horse drawn carriages they are nothing but flashy sexiness on the outside and floppy, shallow, incompetence on the inside.

They are the automotive equivalent of erectile dysfunction. They are cars for people who want to look flash, but couldn't give a flying shit about driving. Posers.
Um, I hear that the new Mustang actually handles very well with the Sport Package equipped.

Zyzyxxz

AndersTheSwede said:

Hmm here is where I disagree with you.

IMO looks is a priority for me. After years of acting like some hardcore track fanatic to me if you buy something for daily driver I'm pretty sure you will be doing left and right corner turns at the stop light more than at the track.

On most common roads straight line performance is all that can be really tested and even then at the risk of getting caught.

I don't see how they are considered posers unless they start talking shit about cornering, most people don't give a rat's ass about cornering from what I've seen.

As a fan of classic cars, the 2009 Dodge Challenger has become my new dream car. Ford took a step in the right direction with the Mustang re-design, and Dodge took it balls out by making a car in the full-on classic muscle style with all the modern amenities. I especially dig the R/T Classic and SRT8 Spring Special packages. Someday, baby.

front-red.jpg

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Charlatanized said:
As a fan of classic cars, the 2009 Dodge Challenger has become my new dream car. Ford took a step in the right direction with the Mustang re-design, and Dodge took it balls out by making a car in the full-on classic muscle style with all the modern amenities. I especially dig the R/T Classic and SRT8 Spring Special packages. Someday, baby.

http://cdn-www.rsportscars.com/images/dodge/2009-dodge-challenger-srt8/front-red.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I'd be shocked if Chrysler survives 2009, and besides, the Challenger is a porker at two tons.

zhenming

AndersTheSwede said:

2z9gm88.gif

But looks-wise they aren't bad. Really.

twinturbo2 said:
Um, I hear that the new Mustang actually handles very well with the Sport Package equipped.

From everything that I've been able to dig up, it still has leaf springs... leaf fucking springs.

Zyzyxxz said:
Hmm here is where I disagree with you.

IMO looks is a priority for me. After years of acting like some hardcore track fanatic to me if you buy something for daily driver I'm pretty sure you will be doing left and right corner turns at the stop light more than at the track.

On most common roads straight line performance is all that can be really tested and even then at the risk of getting caught.

I don't see how they are considered posers unless they start talking shit about cornering, most people don't give a rat's ass about cornering from what I've seen.

I'd argue the exact opposite. To test these cars straight line speeds you have to be going many times (usually) the speed limit. On a really twisty road you don't have to exceed the speed limit nearly as much to test cornering.

And it not simply the cornering performance of these cars. Their steering is completely lifeless, no feel, and that's something you appreciate at any speed.

There are cars that are up there in looks with these (while maybe not having the nostalgia) that simply perform better all around, track day or not.

I'm not trying to rag on all American muscle cars. The Corvette is one of the greatest sports cars ever made, mainly because it combines great looks and awesome handling and performance, with relatively good daily driving.

Because Mustangs and Challenger's lack any sort of performance what so ever except for 1/4 mile times (and even those aren't really that impressive), the only people who want them are those who think they look hot and have nostalgia for the brand. Car groupies.

Zyzyxxz

AndersTheSwede said:
I'd argue the exact opposite. To test these cars straight line speeds you have to be going many times (usually) the speed limit. On a really twisty road you don't have to exceed the speed limit nearly as much to test cornering.

And it not simply the cornering performance of these cars. Their steering is completely lifeless, no feel, and that's something you appreciate at any speed.

There are cars that are up there in looks with these (while maybe not having the nostalgia) that simply perform better all around, track day or not.

I'm not trying to rag on all American muscle cars. The Corvette is one of the greatest sports cars ever made, mainly because it combines great looks and awesome handling and performance, with relatively good daily driving.

Because Mustangs and Challenger's lack any sort of performance what so ever except for 1/4 mile times (and even those aren't really that impressive), the only people who want them are those who think they look hot and have nostalgia for the brand. Car groupies.

Good point, I see what you mean as I've driven cars which are horrible even in terms of daily driving. I do think there is a minimum threshold in terms of handling quality that even enthusiasts would be willing to accept if they were getting it for a daily driver, in terms of shitty handling be jarringly apparent. I guess I've been reading up on supercars too much that I got kind of out of touch with lower end vehicles. Most of the time people on the internet argue that it matters if a Lambo doesn't corner as well as a Ferrari but when you get to that level, it doesn't really matter to most people anyway.

Well I suppose it doesn't matter to me really since I'd never buy a the newer Mustangs anyway.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
AndersTheSwede said:
From everything that I've been able to dig up, it still has leaf springs... leaf fucking springs.
You heard wrong. Coils all around. I think only the Corvette has leaf springs anymore.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Hrmm, thinking about upgrading my wheels sometime in the next few months.

Criteria:
  • Black
  • 18" x 8"
  • Lightweight (sub-20lbs)
Any suggestions?

Zyzyxxz

twinturbo2 said:
You heard wrong. Coils all around. I think only the Corvette has leaf springs anymore.

Even then leaf springs, if done right can still be good.

Some manufacturers may use them as a cheaper alternative but if using strong materials they will work fine.

TxdoHawk

My 04 Civic is getting long in the tooth, so I have been prepping my finances and looking at cars...maybe you guys can suggest some other stuff I can look at. This is what I'm looking at so far, from most desired to least.

2009 Audi A4 - Pretty much everything I want out of a sedan (understated elegance, slick interior full of toys, lots of legroom) but it's either spend $40k (about $10k more than I want to spend) or get a very, very bare configuration. Seriously considering just sucking it up and saving more for a bigger down payment...but reliability and maintenance costs worry me, even though I hear newer Audi's are holding up well.

2009 Altima 2.5 SL - Plenty of legroom (important for me because I'm 6 foot 1 and a good chunk of it is in the legs), reasonable price (27k just about loaded at this trim/engine level), but the styling to me is only passable. Better than the other blah-looking family sedans, but still. Coupe's styling looks great, but the legroom measurements don't.

2009 Charger R/T - Absolutely love the aggressive styling, but reliability scares me, as well as fear of the company ceasing to exist.

2010 Mustang - Love the new look, but I'd really prefer a sedan and something with more interior niceness.

tl;dr - I want a nice-sized sedan with plenty of front legroom, reliability, a nice interior, and decent styling. Ability to load up on options without breaking the bank. Good gas mileage would also be nice. So would decent passing power. What should I look at?

zhenming

TxdoHawk said:
My 04 Civic is getting long in the tooth, so I have been prepping my finances and looking at cars...maybe you guys can suggest some other stuff I can look at. This is what I'm looking at so far, from most desired to least.

2009 Audi A4 - Pretty much everything I want out of a sedan (understated elegance, slick interior full of toys, lots of legroom) but it's either spend $40k (about $10k more than I want to spend) or get a very, very bare configuration. Seriously considering just sucking it up and saving more for a bigger down payment...but reliability and maintenance costs worry me, even though I hear newer Audi's are holding up well.

2009 Altima 2.5 SL - Plenty of legroom (important for me because I'm 6 foot 1 and a good chunk of it is in the legs), reasonable price (27k just about loaded at this trim/engine level), but the styling to me is only passable. Better than the other blah-looking family sedans, but still. Coupe's styling looks great, but the legroom measurements don't.

2009 Charger R/T - Absolutely love the aggressive styling, but reliability scares me, as well as fear of the company ceasing to exist.

2010 Mustang - Love the new look, but I'd really prefer a sedan and something with more interior niceness.

tl;dr - I want a nice-sized sedan with plenty of front legroom, reliability, a nice interior, and decent styling. Ability to load up on options without breaking the bank. Good gas mileage would also be nice. So would decent passing power. What should I look at?
The Altima and the TL are your best bet in terms of leg room and gas. Try taking them out for test drives.

Zyzyxxz

zhenming said:
The Altima and the TL are your best bet in terms of leg room and gas. Try taking them out for test drives.

meh , the TL drives too soft and gets pretty mediocre mileage and looks like ass. I wouldn't bet even a fingernail on it.

TxdoHawk said:

It seems like the Audi is what you really want, if you get the 2.0T they get alright mileage 22/30 so its not too bad.

Get the 08 model if you can find a dealer with one, they are going out the door cheap. In fact the new A4's MSRP's start at 30K so I assume you plan to go balls out with $10K in options.

1990's Audis = I wouldn't touch with a stick, probably because the stick would make it break down

2004+ Audis = not bad, from what I hear reliability and quality is up and much better, probably not as bad as Volkswagen reliability from the 90's.

Of course you can always go balls out and get an RS4 that would make me happy.

TxdoHawk

Zyzyxxz said:
Get the 08 model if you can find a dealer with one, they are going out the door cheap.

I would, but from what I understand the 09's longer wheelbase gives it more legroom. I'm going to have to look into this more though.

Zyzyxxz said:
In fact the new A4's MSRP's start at 30K so I assume you plan to go balls out with $10K in options.

Guilty as charged, I love my toys. In my defense though, while I'd opt for the prestige package, my 40k price still leaves out a lot of the expensive stuff (Audi Drive Select, adaptive cruise control, navi system, bigger wheels, etc.) I could live with Premium Plus, but that's still $37k, $35k if I'm willing to ditch the AWD.

Zyzyxxz said:
2004+ Audis = not bad, from what I hear reliability and quality is up and much better, probably not as bad as Volkswagen reliability from the 90's.

This is what I've heard, but to me spending all that money on a car that's "not bad" in reliability makes me nervous. I could very well pass the Altima for the A4, and pay the extra 10k only to be further burned by TCO.

Zyzyxxz said:
Of course you can always go balls out and get an RS4 that would make me happy.

Haha, I'm no race car driver. It'd be a waste on me, trust me.

I've been putting air bags on my 59 El Camino. Trying to get it looking/driving halfway decent before the summer so I can give my 59 T-bird a break. Heres some shitty cell phone pics...

UP
img100.jpg

Down
img103.jpg

Now I've gotta tune it up and fix some leaks, then strip the body along with rust repair. Plan on having the bodywork decent and in satin paint in May sometime. Should have to air ride all buttoned up by the end of this week.

TxdoHawk said:
Guilty as charged, I love my toys. In my defense though, while I'd opt for the prestige package, my 40k price still leaves out a lot of the expensive stuff (Audi Drive Select, adaptive cruise control, navi system, bigger wheels, etc.) I could live with Premium Plus, but that's still $37k, $35k if I'm willing to ditch the AWD.

If toys is what you want, you're better off with a japanese sedan packed to the gills with options instead of a base-level german. Something like an Altima, Mazda6, or Subaru Legacy.

subaru:
003926.1-lg.jpg

aznpxdd

09 A4 with Premium Plus gives you enough toys to play with, since Audi's MMI is now a standard feature on the new A4. Audi's interior is simply beautiful. Pics of mine just because. :D

A4InteriorDay.jpg

Night interior shot:

A4InteriorNight.jpg

aznpxdd said:
09 A4 with Premium Plus gives you enough toys to play with, since Audi's MMI is now a standard feature on the new A4. Audi's interior is simply beautiful. Pics of mine just because. :D

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f184/aznpxddd/A4InteriorDay.jpg[IMG]

Night interior shot:

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f184/aznpxddd/A4InteriorNight.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's what I've always loved about audi's interiors, all the red lights when you drive at night. I'm not feeling that brown-yellow wood trim though, it looks sickly. *barf*

Zyzyxxz

TxdoHawk said:

This is what I've heard, but to me spending all that money on a car that's "not bad" in reliability makes me nervous. I could very well pass the Altima for the A4, and pay the extra 10k only to be further burned by TCO.

if reliabilty is a concern have you considered a Hyundai Genesis? No joke those things are pimp, fuck brand image, if I cared I would just rip off the hyundai badge on it, looks like a little like a mercedes anyway. On consumer reports Hyundai ranks pretty well, its no Toyota but they are really moving. Also you get their 10 year/ 100,000mile warranty.

I've yet to test drive but sat in it very well impressed, if you need leg room and want a luxury car then this is the best you can get at this price bracket without going for used cars. From reading other impressions they say it drives very smooth (except w/ V8 option).

Info if interested: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/hyundai/genesis/101008124/standard.html

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
I've been putting air bags on my 59 El Camino. Trying to get it looking/driving halfway decent before the summer so I can give my 59 T-bird a break. Heres some shitty cell phone pics...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/EVERYlosersHERO/img100.jpg

looks cool, keep us posted or at least get back to us with final results and decent pictures!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The Camaro is back in production. Finally. :D
ProductionUnderway.jpg

Camaro enthusiasts rejoice! The legend is back!
After a 2,393 day hiatus, the Camaro is once again in production!
Production 2010 Camaros started rolling off the assembly line this morning in Oshawa.

akachan ningen said:
If toys is what you want, you're better off with a japanese sedan packed to the gills with options instead of a base-level german. Something like an Altima, Mazda6, or Subaru Legacy.

I agree thats exactly what I did when I bought my Mazda3. I just loaded it to the brim with options and got the highest trim level.

zhenming

akachan ningen said:
That's what I've always loved about audi's interiors, all the red lights when you drive at night. I'm not feeling that brown-yellow wood trim though, it looks sickly. *barf*
Looks better in person although a darker trim would have set it off more but still.

TxdoHawk

akachan ningen said:

Yeah, this is a big part of why the Altima appeals to me. At the base engine level, $27k gets me pretty much everything except in-dash navigation, which I don't want. I've seen a lot of reviews that complain about it complicating audio functions, and I have a Nuvi anyway.

Tarazet

TxdoHawk said:
Yeah, this is a big part of why the Altima appeals to me. At the base engine level, $27k gets me pretty much everything except in-dash navigation, which I don't want. I've seen a lot of reviews that complain about it complicating audio functions, and I have a Nuvi anyway.

The only thing I don't like about Altimas is that they feel very jumpy. The brakes are sensitive, the throttle is sensitive, and the steering is overboosted. You can get used to it, but I found it very difficult to drive smoothly coming off of Hondas and Toyotas.

TxdoHawk

sonarrat said:
The only thing I don't like about Altimas is that they feel very jumpy. The brakes are sensitive, the throttle is sensitive, and the steering is overboosted. You can get used to it, but I found it very difficult to drive smoothly coming off of Hondas and Toyotas.

Hm. That's kind of disconcerting, but I guess I'll just have to set up a test drive and see how I feel.

Zyzyxxz

sonarrat said:

kinda reminded me of driving my mother's old Town & Country minivan, I consider myself a pretty smooth driver if I want to be but that car just sucked in terms of everything.

daw840

The new Camaro literally makes me tingle in my special places! :D

I saw one a couple of years back at an auto show, damn sexy! I would gladly sell the GF for one of these......

zhenming

TxdoHawk said:
Out of the many interiors I've seen and experienced. There are none that are more confusing than merc and bmw's and I own/drive a BMW 1 and 3. I've only begun to understand it and having Navi makes it more difficult as ironic as it may seem. lol. A simple turn knob to turn on the radio doesn't suffice lol:
zinterieurhg11jpg.jpg

The bmw placement is ok but I can't figure out the climate control. The merc is just all over the place and adds in too much crap after going on a road trip and switch driving with my cousin in his C class all I knew how to do in the end was accelerate and brake. I've never driven an Audi but the interior looks less busy but the toys are still there and placement seems right. Ride is smoother. It's your call in the end.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
daw840 said:
The new Camaro literally makes me tingle in my special places! :D

I saw one a couple of years back at an auto show, damn sexy! I would gladly sell the GF for one of these......
You can get a stripper V6 model for $23K. SS models with the V8 start at $30K.

twinturbo2 said:
http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamaro/

According to Jalopnik, the SS can run from 0 to 60 in 4.7 seconds and return 24 MPG on the highway, and the LT model can get 29 on the highway.

Jalopnik can be pretty stupid sometimes. I don't keep track of who's who, but some of their writers are really defensive about American cars. I mean, since when is 16/24 MPG "fuel-sipping" really? I'm not sure, but it'll probably even be subject to the US's gas guzzler tax. And why don't they say how fast the more efficient V6 is? They just embolden the 4.7!!

I'd be more concerned with the handling though. For a car that's so close to 4,000 lbs, they better be doing something special so that it doesn't handle like a boat with wheels. The interior is pretty assy too. For the (V8)money, I'd rather get a used Corvette.

zhenming said:
Out of the many interiors I've seen and experienced. There are none that are more confusing than merc and bmw's and I own/drive a BMW 1 and 3. I've only begun to understand it and having Navi makes it more difficult as ironic as it may seem. lol. A simple turn knob to turn on the radio doesn't suffice lol:

Is it because of iDrive? It's a good thing it's optional in the 1-series, I've heard nothing but complaints about it.

Core407

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Jalopnik can be pretty stupid sometimes. I don't keep track of who's who, but some of their writers are really defensive about American cars. I mean, since when is 16/24 MPG "fuel-sipping" really? I'm not sure, but it'll probably even be subject to the US's gas guzzler tax. And why don't they say how fast the more efficient V6 is? They just embolden the 4.7!!

I'd be more concerned with the handling though. For a car that's so close to 4,000 lbs, they better be doing something special so that it doesn't handle like a boat with wheels. The interior is pretty assy too. For the (V8)money, I'd rather get a used Corvette.

You're actually expecting this car to not suck? :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom