• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Avengers - Trailer #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabka

I guess, despite not liking them much, I get the appreciation for each Hulk movie, for Captain, for Iron Man 2...I don't fucking get Thor. The small amount of action is terribly handled. The characters are thinner than Paul Cicero's garlic. The setting is boring. There's nearly zero development for the title character. I can't find a truly redeeming quality in the whole thing other than the pretty nice special effects for Asgard.

Thor felt like a big budget version of Beastmaster 2 or the He-Man movie. I enjoyed the breezy feel of it but his overnight change from spoiled brat to self-sacrificing hero was almost meaningless.

If he doesn't put them on in answer to somebody's suggestion that they get a mission underway, I'll be very disappointed.

Who is going to make the inevitable haters gonna hate purple glasses Renner gifs?

It'd actually be a deal with it gif.

If I recall correctly, you once said that The Avengers will bomb so hard that it will taint all the characters involved and that Marvel would be glad that X-Men and Spiderman were out of their hands and could remain viable franchises, right? I just want to get that clear because that's going to be an empirically disprovable assertion.

Right, here we are:

They're directly compromising this stand-alone film for the sake of that The Avengers film which is completely going to fuck all their properties up at once? I swear that the Avengers film is going to undo all the good will Marvel earned in the early years.
I suspect once The Avengers comes out, many will thank DC for not being as stupid as Marvel is in destroying the potential of their franchises. It was a very good thing to scrap Justice League.

Its ironic that Marvel is actually lucky that FOX and Sony are in possession of their most important franchises.

For the record I think you're more hyperbolic and delusional than the people who thought Avatar would be a bomb, but there's no need to argue about it. We'll be able to prove it for sure soon enough.

Zzoram

Thor felt like a big budget version of Beastmaster 2 or the He-Man movie. I enjoyed the breezy feel of it but his overnight change from spoiled brat to self-sacrificing hero was almost meaningless.

Ya I felt the change was a bit too quick. Maybe if they did a time jump and had him live on Earth for a year or something, but it was like 2 days.

I don't get why captain america needs a helmet when the ordinary SHIELD guys are unprotected. Maybe if he had an identity to keep or become a symbol in time of war like how it was established in his movie. Although he's helmetless in some pictures, so maybe it saves his life at one point. Suit is still goofy but looks a lot better without the helmet.

If I recall correctly, you once said that The Avengers will bomb so hard that it will taint all the characters involved and that Marvel would be glad that X-Men and Spiderman were out of their hands and could remain viable franchises, right? I just want to get that clear because that's going to be an empirically disprovable assertion.

Right, here we are:

For the record I think you're more hyperbolic and delusional than the people who thought Avatar would be a bomb, but there's no need to argue about it. We'll be able to prove it for sure soon enough.

Reading comprehension, how does it work?

Where did I say that The Avengers would bomb? Neither of those quotes suggest that. I was (and still am) suggesting that The Avengers will cheapen the franchise of those characters involved. Much like AvP cheapened the Alien and Predator.

Maximus.

I love Marvel and I love all the characters, but the stills of the costumes always make them look silly. I know it will all be fine in motion though...

Where did I say that The Avengers would bomb? Neither of those quotes suggest that. I was (and still am) suggesting that The Avengers will cheapen the franchise of those characters involved. Much like AvP cheapened the Alien and Predator.

I like how you edited your post to be more inflammatory. Amusing backpedaling aside, I'll have a laugh at your expense when The Avengers goes on to do gangbusters and the Marvel film franchises continue to succeed while you stamp your feet in childish frustration.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I love Marvel and I love all the characters, but the stills of the costumes always make them look silly. I know it will all be fine in motion though...

i understand what ur saying and i do forget about the costumes once the movie is in motion.

But i was never in that mental hole with Ironman, it always looked "natural" and right to me.

I like how you edited your post to be more inflammatory. Amusing backpedaling aside, I'll have a laugh at your expense when The Avengers goes on to do gangbusters and the Marvel film franchises continue to succeed while you stamp your feet in childish frustration.

What backpedaling? Show me where I ever said The Avengers would bomb. What the fuck are you talking about?

I see you're no longer contesting the long term viability of the franchises in question. And you ask me where the backpedaling is in the same breath.

Again, your reading comprehension needs some work.

I was (and still am) suggesting that The Avengers will cheapen the franchise of those characters involved.

I think that were The Avengers film to never happen, Marvel would have been more profitable developing each of the franchises as an individual property.

I think I'm reading it just fine, unless you've managed to invent some novel definitions of those words in your attempt to spin your way out of an objective stance.

And that's without even involving your claims that DC has managed their franchises better and that Fox and Sony will do better financially with their own projects.

Can somebody else please look at what is going on here? It's hard to convince somebody they've gone mad with cabin fever when you're the only other person in the cabin.

Blader

I don't get why captain america needs a helmet when the ordinary SHIELD guys are unprotected. Maybe if he had an identity to keep or become a symbol in time of war like how it was established in his movie. Although he's helmetless in some pictures, so maybe it saves his life at one point. Suit is still goofy but looks a lot better without the helmet.

?

kttUz.jpg

Can somebody else please look at what is going on here?
You know, I said the exact same thing when I first read this:

many will thank DC for not being as stupid as Marvel is in destroying the potential of their franchises.

Its ironic that Marvel is actually lucky that FOX and Sony are in possession of their most important franchises.

When at first you can't explain why you say stupid shit, pretend the stupid shit you said doesn't exist.

You know, I said the exact same thing when I first read this:

When at first you can't explain why you say stupid shit, pretend the stupid shit you said doesn't exist.

And where in those quoted opinions of mine (that I have no problem saying that I still completely, 100% agree with now) did I say that The Avengers would bomb?

And where in those quoted opinions of mine (that I have no problem saying that I still completely, 100% agree with now) did I say that The Avengers would bomb?

I haven't claimed you had since my edit to the original post. I brought up your precise words and pointed out that your actual stance there about the viability of the franchises is just as ridiculous and something you've been doing gymnastics to avoid addressing. You've been spending this considerable time trying to act like my unedited post is still the only thing that exists.

Bottom line is The Avengers is going to do well at the box office, the individual series are going to do well at the box office, and cumulatively they will definitely do better than what DC throws out over the next several years, and I doubt very much that the new Spiderman will perform much better despite being what you call the most important franchise. You will be proven wrong and you know it, which is why you're squirming so hard to act like you never said what you said.

Unedited? This is me quoting you right now:

Right, here we are:

Lulz.

Again, I haven't avoided anything. You have just failed to read or comprehend anything I have said for god knows what reason. The very last post I said I completely held the views you quoted me on. I still think Marvel has hindered those properties from being what they could have been. That includes something much more commercially viable than cheap setups to an Avengers film.

Everything you originally quoted me on is how I still feel. 100%. I am not denying it. Should I get somebody else to post this again, so maybe you can understand it? Nowhere did I ever say that The Avengers would bomb, though. I was and am saying that Marvel has fucked the potential of the franchises involved in the Avengers on a quality and thus profitability level. They have cheapened the brand potential of each. Just like if WB were to put Superman and Batman in the same film with a shitty Justice League movie as opposed to giving them standalone films - I would similarly call them fuckheads for cheapening the brand of each.

Do you want me to get working on some diagrams, or are you finally understanding me?

apana

What backpedaling? Show me where I ever said The Avengers would bomb. What the fuck are you talking about?

I see you're no longer contesting the long term viability of the franchises in question. And you ask me where the backpedaling is in the same breath.

I think that were The Avengers film to never happen, Marvel would have been more profitable developing each of the franchises as an individual property.

This gif is always useful:

tumblr_lkkdqiBhjN1qfv91lo1_500.gif

Then by all means please show me where I said I had empirical proof of anything yet.

Will that do?

Are you unfamiliar with the future tense? I don't have box office numbers now, they don't exist. They will, though.

You were saying that once it was made clear that I held the belief that Marvel was tainting their franchises, that it was going to be an empirically disprovable assertion, yes? Only of course it couldn't be an empirical proof to my asserting the bombing of The Avengers because it in no way implies that. Which was why I was pointing it out.

At what point were you trying to suggest it would become an empirical assertion? Do you know what you are writing?

You were saying that once it was made clear that I held the belief that Marvel was tainting their franchises, that it was going to be an empirically disprovable assertion, yes?

No, I was saying that once the numbers were out it would be an empirically disprovable assertion that Marvel has destroyed the viability of their franchises. You're welcome for the lesson in reading comprehension. Class dismissed.

To all you people ripping on Thor for the small town location:

The latest run of Thor comics takes place in a small town in Oklahoma in which Thor rises Asgard on Earth.

Plus, would you really want to build a bridge to Earth in the middle of a big city??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom