• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The AWS (abused wife syndrome) ESPN NFL 2005 Xbox league! Last time Sega! LAST TIME!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I just got blown out by DM and I didnt run once with the QB....this is bad shit bad shit duders

TheDuce22

Banned
You exploit just about every bug in the book except running with the QB. It was either that or get sacked by Hugh rushing from the outside every damn play while my lineman stares at the ground.

Edit: Its cool that you mastered the art of rotating the controller just enough to make it so you completely avoid being blocked. It works on offense too when your running, im sure you are aware of it as you abused it all game. Its fun watching my players stare at you as you run by though.

DMczaf

6:00 Kickoff returned by David Macklin (ARZ) for 24 yards (Smith, Akbar)
5:57 1-10 at ARZ 23. Josh McCown (ARZ) sacked for a loss of 9 yards (Douglas)
5:52 2-19 at ARZ 14. Josh McCown (ARZ) ran left side for 20 yards (Ayodele)
5:36 1-10 at ARZ 34. Josh McCown (ARZ) ran left side for 15 yards
5:22 1-10 at ARZ 49. Josh McCown (ARZ) ran left side for 13 yards
5:12 1-10 at JAX 38. Marcel Shipp (ARZ) ran up middle for 7 yards (Akbar, Grant)
5:00 2-3 at JAX 31. Josh McCown (ARZ) ran left side for 14 yards (Akbar)
4:44 1-10 at JAX 17. Josh McCown (ARZ) ran left side for 15 yards (Mitchell)
4:26 1-1 at JAX 2. Josh McCown (ARZ) pass behind line complete to Marcel Shipp (ARZ) for 1 yard. TOUCHDOWN!
4:08 Try: Extra Pt by Neil Rackers (ARZ) is good

:lol

TheDuce22

Banned
Its actually pretty easy to stop a running QB, for some reason you guys dont want to take the time or effort to do it. You would rather just completely remove that part of the game for whatever reason. On that drive he called the same play defensively every time and did that little move with Hugh where you run outside then cut back in so you dont get blocked.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
LMAO :lol

"Its cool that you mastered the art of rotating the controller"

Can someone tell me wtf that means? I'd like to learn how to rotate my controller if it brings me easy victories.

Then your line pretty much sucks because all of my losses, my opponents were able to stop Douglas most of the time...you can run to the other side or run out of the pocket to the side or throw it away...choose one!

TheDuce22

Banned
If you make a smooth motion to get it so your player does not go into the change direction animation while still making the same cut it turns the defensive players/offensive line retarded.

Then your line pretty much sucks because all of my losses, my opponents were able to stop Douglas most of the time...you can run to the other side or run out of the pocket to the side or throw it away...choose one!

Why should I when you flush me out and leave that side wide open every play.

TheDuce22 said:
Its actually pretty easy to stop a running QB, for some reason you guys dont want to take the time or effort to do it. You would rather just completely remove that part of the game for whatever reason. On that drive he called the same play defensively every time and did that little move with Hugh where you run outside then cut back in so you dont get blocked.

tell me....is that illegal????

and like I said before...my opponents were able to stop him most of the time.

Matrix

TheDuce22 said:
If you make a smooth motion to get it so your player does not go into the change direction animation while still making the same cut it turns the defensive players/offensive line retarded.

what

TheDuce22

Banned
tell me....is that illegal????

I have been saying it for a while, if lineplay is legal then running with the qb should be legal. As the Arizona Cardinals I would be burnt by both but its better than having one aspect of it completely removed from the game to keep it "realistic". I cant remember the last time I saw a player beat his man cleanly 5 plays in a row to pressure the QB. Both are just as exploitable and impact the game just as much.

1:14 4-11 at ARZ 39. Josh McCown (ARZ) pass right side intercepted by Chris Thompson (JAX). Returned for 57 yards. TOUCHDOWN!

And what happened here? 4 and 11 on YOUR OWN 39...you elect to pass the ball instead of punting it as the rules indicates. It was 31-14 at the time...it wasn't like it was the 4th quarter with less than 3 minutes to go...it was the 3rd quarter with 1:14 left. You had plenty of time to come back from 17 points. Lucky for me, it came back to bite you in the ass. :D

TheDuce22

Banned
You had plenty of time to come back from 17 points

No not really, I might have had time had I converted the 4th down. The game was over at that point anyway. There isnt much I can do when you sit in man defense and rush me off the side all day giving me all of 2 seconds to throw a pass where the computer thinks my shitty reciever should be but isnt because somehow he is being bumped out of his route 8 yards down the field. Your quite the defensive mastermind.

TheDuce22 said:
No not really, I might have had time had I converted the 4th down. The game was over at that point anyway. There isnt much I can do when you sit in man defense and rush me off the side all day giving me all of 2 seconds to throw a pass where the computer thinks my shitty reciever should be but isnt because somehow he is being bumped out of his route 8 yards down the field. Your quite the defensive mastermind.

dude...I as well as everyone else that plays this game is a victim of this...it sucks, I know, I don't control what the CPU wants to do when the ball is snapped. All you can do is deal with it and go to the next play!

Mrbob said:
Not with the way you milk the clock while on offense. :p

:lol

hey...it's my 40 seconds so I will decide how to use them...and I decide to look at new plays that I haven't tried, then I go to the line, then if I don't like what I see from the defense...I will change the play to something that best fits that particular defense. It's not my fault it takes almost 40 seconds sometimes. People should start picking the defense I want them to. :D

one way to stop clock milking is to pound that ROCK INSIDE BOYEEEEEEE! KBAR WILL HAUNT YOU WHERE YOUR PARENTS CANT PROTECT YOU SOLRAK... in your dreeeeeeeeeeeams!

img6395262.jpg

HERE I COME BOY!

WTF...I just saw the standings and both Bob and Stooge got a 'coin flip' win!?!??! Just my rotten luck!

Hey Frenchy...looks like the stats are bugging again...2 games were reported in but with no stats from the game. :(

FrenchMovieTheme said:
one way to stop clock milking is to pound that ROCK INSIDE BOYEEEEEEE! KBAR WILL HAUNT YOU WHERE YOUR PARENTS CANT PROTECT YOU SOLRAK... in your dreeeeeeeeeeeams!

img6395262.jpg

HERE I COME BOY!

BRING IT YOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I will be definately gunning for you in season 2! :D

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
a 4 way tie for the last two playoff spots...

and I have one of the two games against a playoff team :( Oh well, if I win maybe that will help me in this wacky non-sensical tie breaker format.

If I dont make the playoffs because of quarterback-gate Im gonna be pissed.

Fifty

StoOgE said:
a 4 way tie for the last two playoff spots...

and I have one of the two games against a playoff team :( Oh well, if I win maybe that will help me in this wacky non-sensical tie breaker format.

If I dont make the playoffs because of quarterback-gate Im gonna be pissed.

Well I don't feel too bad about my 200-0 loss now :lol If I hadn't done that, you guys might not have a chance to get in.

i know solrak, i dont know if the ESPN servers went down or something cause my ESPN NBA game reported the score, but hasn't reported the stats. weird.

anyways, i did ALL the coinflips fair and square, except for bob who was clearly around to play and his opponent was not.

ShadowRed

Banned
Fifty said:
Shadow, can you play tomorrow?

Are you Che Guevara? I'm not sure gotta go out of town won't know what type of connection I'll have till i get there. I'll let you know sometime after 7 or 8 central time via the board.

StoOgE

Cloudy said:
Stooge, I can play tonight after 7 et...

7 CST?. You will have a distinct advantage.. I will be coming home from a going away happy hour for a co-worker.

Anyway as a public service, here is the playoff picture.. These 7 teams are competing for the final 4 playoff spots. A win by Denver, New York or Oakland will clench a playoff spot. A loss will send them into a tie with any of the 9 and 6 teams that win. At this point, its anyone guess who gets in after that because of this fucking stupid tie break system. Denver plays Green Bay and and Baltimore plays Oakland. Chicago and Jacksonville should win their games since they are playing non playoff teams... and New York has the hardest against the Eagles.

Denver Cloudystrife 10 5 0.667 403 243 Won 3
NY Giants Wellie 10 5 0.667 350 298 Lost 1
Oakland ShadowRedz 10 5 0.667 293 225 Won 1
Baltimore Che Guevara 9 6 0.600 318 368 Lost 1
Chicago MrBob 9 6 0.600 353 274 Won 5
Green Bay StoOgE 9 6 0.600 197 271 Won 1
Jacksonville Cmdr Solrak 9 6 0.600 228 225 Won 1

Cloudy

Banned
DM, FMT and I had some pretty good ideas on this issue. Here are our ideas combined:

- No manual DE play AT ALL.

My thoughts? It's obviously a glitch in the game and I don't see why anyone would want to use this to their advantage. Let's be real here, manual DE rushing is very suspect in this game and anyone using this (especially with a good DE) should not be surprised that people are questioning their tactics. If you must use the line, the DTs are good enough IMO. With the DEs, you can get to the QB without performing a line move about 60%-70% of the time and that's crazy. Do a line shift (not manual movement of the DE) if you want to get your DE to either side

- If the guy is rushing with his DTs, the QB can run out of any formation even without the threat of a sack.

I think this is fair.

- No line spreads at all. You can shift the line one way and shift the lbs the other way if you're not sure what the strong side of the play is.

I don't really spread the line cos I refuse to give up 5 easy yards up the middle but some might not like this. Spreading is mostly used by folks who want to exploit the DE bug but I'm sure some folks are legit with it too..

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Cloudy said:
DM, FMT and I had some pretty good ideas on this issue. Here are our ideas combined:

- No manual DE play AT ALL.

My thoughts? It's obviously a glitch in the game and I don't see why anyone would want to use this to their advantage. Let's be real here, manual DE rushing is very suspect in this game and anyone using this (especially with a good DE) should not be surprised that people are questioning their tactics. If you must use the line, the DTs are good enough IMO. With the DEs, you can get to the QB without performing a line move about 60%-70% of the time and that's crazy. Do a line shift (not manual movement of the DE) if you want to get your DE to either side

- If the guy is rushing with his DTs, the QB can run out of any formation even without the threat of a sack.

I think this is fair.

- No line spreads at all. You can shift the line one way and shift the lbs the other way if you're not sure what the strong side of the play is.

I don't really spread the line cos I refuse to give up 5 easy yards up the middle but some might not like this. Spreading is mostly used by folks who want to exploit the DE bug but I'm sure some folks are legit with it too..

This is fucking retarded. Anyone who plays against me in Madden or ESPN knows that I always line up as Mike Strahan before the play, and I don't abuse any glitches in the game. This is fucking dumb. He's as effective for me stopping the outside strong run as he is in the pass rush, and I am not good enough to manually cover receivers with a DB or safety, so I'm supposed to get burned all the time now? Bullshit.

Cloudy

Banned
Hey, I'm just posting IDEAS that we had. You can disagree (like you obviously are doing now ) and post your suggestions but discussion is the best thing.

Let's resolve this as a group instead of people keeping quiet when all this stuff is being worked out and deciding they don't like them later when someone is doing something within the rules that they feel is cheesy (and I'm not even saying that it's not) to beat them. Then they start doing stuff that is against the rules to "even things out"....

Some will go with whatever the majority wants and adjust their game if they have to while others may quit but at least let's hear everyone's thoughts...

Oh and none of this impacts the current season. Play how you've been playing but please leave the QB scrambling at home :p

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Cloudy said:
Hey, I'm just posting IDEAS that we had. You can disagree (like you obviously are doing now ) and post your suggestions but discussion is the best thing.

Let's resolve this as a group instead of people keeping quiet when all this stuff is being worked out and deciding they don't like them later when someone is doing something within the rules that they feel is cheesy (and I'm not even saying that it's not) to beat them. Then they start doing stuff that is against the rules to "even things out"....

Well I agree with discussing this as a group, but you spoke with DM and FMT, and then bring it to us after the fact. Most if not all of us have AIM and that has the capability of joining a group chat, and there's also IRC.

I feel like I am being punished for a shortcoming of the game. While I admit I have not played it in EQ yet, I'm upset that we have to play in EQ to begin with to get something fair going, and even then now we have to deal with this. It wouldn't be such an issue if I could see every player on screen. More often than not a WR that is lined up on the outside will go offscreen and then pop back on. As a CB or a safety, what am I supposed to do in a situation like that? What if an RB lines up in the backfield and then runs out to the flats, and I am using the LB that is supposed to cover him, but can't see him? It's a fault in all football games and I avoid it by picking a lineman and trying to get to the QB in that way. Not being able to use my best lineman, and the one with the best shot at stopping the strongside run will hurt my already rated at 52 (in the current league) defense.

I can't be the only one that feels this way, as I've seen a lot of my opponents line up with the defensive linemen as well. In the current league Strahan has 18 sacks, totally realistic for him considering it's through 15 games already. What IS cheese IMO is what DM does of stacking the line and then bringing his OLB from outside of the range of the offensive line. It's the same as pulling a lineman, imo.

Ramirez

What IS cheese IMO is what DM does of stacking the line and then bringing his OLB from outside of the range of the offensive line. It's the same as pulling a lineman, imo.

I guess you don't watch the Buccs,that what they do in real life!!!! :D :D :D :D :p

StoOgE

Jesus.. if someone is overaggresive with a lineman, run right at them.. thats the best way to beat a blitzing lineman, wait for them to make their move to the outside and hit them inside.. if they go inside bounce outside and burn them for 5 yards. I use lineman alot when Im not bringing more than 4 because if you drop back in coverage you NEED to get pressure. If you leave it up to the AI lineman the QB will sit back there all day UNTIL someone gets open.

For whats its worth I am almost allways the ILB or OLB.. but from time to time when I want to get an extra push at the line I will take the DE around the outside.. especially if I am running a delayed blitz or something to the other side.. you need to be able to flush the pocket to the direction of your CB blitz. The AI DE wont even attempt to do this.

TheDuce22

Banned
So tell me why you should be able to totally disregard a QB's ability to run and loop 5 yards around the offensive line every 3rd down to get pressure. Is that realistic? If a QB, any QB sees a hole that big and has a ton of pressure coming from the outside they will take it. If you want to controll a lineman to create pressure that isnt normally there then dont frigging bitch about the QB taking advantage of it.

Mrbob

TheDuce22 said:
So tell me why you should be able to totally disregard a QB's ability to run and loop 5 yards around the offensive line every 3rd down to get pressure. Is that realistic? If a QB, any QB sees a hole that big and has a ton of pressure coming from the outside they will take it. If you want to controll a lineman to create pressure that isnt normally there then dont frigging bitch about the QB taking advantage of it.

If they are coming from the outside step back into the pocket and throw the ball? I dunno. If someone is rushing me from the oustside I just step back in and hoist it. For the amount of time it takes them to move all the way around from the outside I have time to hit an open receiver. But I'm talking about from a regular defensive stance. If your opponent splits the Dline out and rushes from the outside that is cheap. The game can't compensate for that. But then you can use your RB to run it up the gut for 5+ yards a pop.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind if in season 2 we could only rush with the defensive tackles. The guys on the inside. That way if you get to the QB you know you had to work for it. We could also put a limit on the number of DE rushes. Like 3 to 5 a game or something to that nature.

TheDuce22

Banned
I understand there are things you can do but its stupid that they can leave the QB run so wide open while trying to get a sack. The best play you can run is a QB draw to that spot. To me they are taking advantage the rule while at the same time exploiting the bug in offensive line play....

I can play tonight, Give me a time.

ShadowRed

Banned
Fucking A guys I think I might have to bow out of the league. I have braodband access but the Tv doesn't have input jacks for me to connect to. I'm still looking at alternatives so I might find a way to make it, but it doesn't look likely. I'll keep you posted.

Mrbob

ShadowRed said:
Fucking A guys I think I might have to bow out of the league. I have braodband access but the Tv doesn't have input jacks for me to connect to. I'm still looking at alternatives so I might find a way to make it, but it doesn't look likely. I'll keep you posted.

When can you play next? Next week? I say give you the win and if you can play next week great. It's pretty obvious Fifty doesn't care about this league anymore after taking a default loss and losing 200-0 in the last game so we might as well try to keep the people in the playoffs who actually want to play their playoff games.

Otherwise if I don't make it I'll take over for your team in the playoffs. :p

Fifty

Mrbob said:
When can you play next? Next week? I say give you the win and if you can play next week great. It's pretty obvious Fifty doesn't care about this league anymore after taking a default loss and losing 200-0 in the last game so we might as well try to keep the people in the playoffs who actually want to play their playoff games.

Otherwise if I don't make it I'll take over for your team in the playoffs. :p

I will play my playoffs games. I wish Shadow could play, but as it stands I won't make a mockery of the playoffs...I swore to be legit in season 2, and I'll start now.

Top Bottom