• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bastard Executioner - Kurt Sutter takes on Medieval Times - S1 - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the part I hate the most right now. At first we were wondering if she's insane or just playing along for everyone's sake, but now it's pretty clear that she's completely nuts and Sutter is trying to paint some picture of her being abused into insanity but he is just not a skilled enough writer to pull that off.
You must love where they're taking the story now.

Haha, one day later and still no reactions.

Not surprising. It's not even bad in an enjoyable way anymore. The Sagal Slavic witch scenes are embarrassing. I feel like I'm watching one of Sutter and his wife's evenings where they get fucked up and role play. Fake accents and all. Here they're just allowed to do it with nifty make up effects and CGI on FX's dime. The ratings can't be good so FX executives are probably counting the days until their blood debt to Sutter for Sons is paid off.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Should I dedicate time to this show? I don't have very high expectations but there are so many other shows to watch, I'm not sure if I should invest in Sutter's latest or not.

I'm three episodes back, should I just cut bait? I haven't had a ton of time to clear off the DVR lately but when I do I'm certainly not gravitating towards this show.

Should I dedicate time to this show? I don't have very high expectations but there are so many other shows to watch, I'm not sure if I should invest in Sutter's latest or not.

Same. I think I might watch the Last Kingdom(the saxon vs viking thing) since that just started.

Veelk

Banned
So I DVR'd episodes of this in case I wanted to watch it, and I still don't know if I do. What do people who've seen it think?

What would you say this show does that is good? What does it do that is really bad?

Tubobutts

I think the show has gotten better since the first episode. I think it's still pretty mediocre though, I usually watch it while I'm doing something else. I thought the first episode of The Last Kingdom was excellent.

Vlad

Same. I think I might watch the Last Kingdom(the saxon vs viking thing) since that just started.

I actually really enjoyed what I saw of Last Kingdom so far. Even after the first episode, I'm really itching to know what happens next. On the other hand, if FX were to announce that they were cancelling TBE and weren't going to air the remaining episodes, I don't think I'd be all that bothered.

I actually really enjoyed what I saw of Last Kingdom so far. Even after the first episode, I'm really itching to know what happens next. On the other hand, if FX were to announce that they were cancelling TBE and weren't going to air the remaining episodes, I don't think I'd be all that bothered.

I'm missing the last season of Game of Thrones and Walking Dead because I heard they were trash. Friend told me to go for Narcos instead since I loved the Wire/Breaking Bad.

Why did they ruin Game of Thrones? Did they just completely go off-script because they couldn't keep up with the story?

I'm missing the last season of Game of Thrones and Walking Dead because I heard they were trash. Friend told me to go for Narcos instead since I loved the Wire/Breaking Bad.

Why did they ruin Game of Thrones? Did they just completely go off-script because they couldn't keep up with the story?

It was very apparent that they really didn't know what to do when the show caught up to the books. In 10 episodes, nothing happens that could not have been done in 3. It was a lot of characters wasting time for far too long. Take Jaime in Dorn for instance god what a waste of what 4-5 episodes? It was just a lot of stalling. And the ideas they did come up with were so poorly executed. The whole season looked cheap, like filming was chaotic and filmed in pieces, and then poorly edited together.

There are 2 good episodes the entire season IMHO.

I can't wait for the next season though.

Vlad

It was very apparent that they really didn't know what to do when the show caught up to the books. In 10 episodes, nothing happens that could not have been done in 3. It was a lot of characters wasting time for far too long. Take Jaime in Dorn for instance god what a waste of what 4-5 episodes? It was just a lot of stalling. And the ideas they did come up with were so poorly executed. The whole season looked cheap, like filming was chaotic and filmed in pieces, and then poorly edited together.

There are 2 good episodes the entire season IMHO.

I can't wait for the next season though.

Ah, so the season was regarded as terrible by non-readers? I didn't keep up with the general reactions, I just know I was increasingly annoyed with how many unnecessary changes they kept making from the books.

I deleted the three unwatched episodes that were sitting on my DVR last night and canceled my series recording. It didn't feel good, per se (like it did when I did the same for all of the unwatched episodes of Rosewood, Grandfathered, and The Player after barely being able to get through 5 minutes of each pilot) but there was some sort of catharsis there. Good luck, TBEGaf, and godspeed.

aku:jiki

I still don't know about this show. I don't think it's bad, but it's just so unremarkable and I couldn't tell you what happened in the last episode. Some dudes did some nefarious plotting and swung a few swords, I guess?

SoA may not have ended up great, but there was a clear picture of what it was about at least. Crime drama focusing on bikers with a bit of Hamlet and so forth. Easy enough. I really have no idea what TBE is actually about, where it's going, which plotline is the primary one and so on. Maybe it's me not paying attention, but I see that not even other folks who are watching it are bothering to comment much in this thread so maybe not.

You must love where they're taking the story now.
Ugh! My least favorite trope in all of storytelling may just be characters that serve no other purpose than to stir up shit and cause problems. I hate that plotline even more now. I'm not one for spousal abuse, but hey, it's the middle ages, he's an executioner and she's abusing the poor boy. Kill her and stuff her in the pig sty already.

I deleted the three unwatched episodes that were sitting on my DVR last night and canceled my series recording. It didn't feel good, per se (like it did when I did the same for all of the unwatched episodes of Rosewood, Grandfathered, and The Player after barely being able to get through 5 minutes of each pilot) but there was some sort of catharsis there. Good luck, TBEGaf, and godspeed.

Yup, I'm in the exact same boat. Just pulled the trigger. Such high hopes too, it sounded pretty good on paper, but even with the really decent fight scenes the plot was just too boring for me. Hopefully it gets better for those still watching, I'd love to have to binge in two years to get caught up on a now awesome show.

I honestly can't believe that 7 episodes have already passed. It feels like barely anything has happened yet.

Yeah, I'm currently on episode 6 on my DVR and the only episode that I've actually enjoyed all the way through was episode 5. The show's writing is so plodding and it makes it's difficult to decipher what's really going on a lot of the time.

I honestly can't believe that 7 episodes have already passed. It feels like barely anything has happened yet.

Yep. There's nothing worse than a boring plodding show that just drags on and on. I can handle bad, but the last episode I watched (episode 6) nearly put me into a coma.

It's funny how both that feeling and the feeling that they're rushing certain things are prevalent at the same time. I have no idea what the actual plot is, really, because they're meandering so much, but at the same time, the romance feels massively forced and rushed. I don't give up on shows easily but I don't see myself following season 2 at this rate, if there even is one.

Also, now Scroobius Pip is in it. How many brit musicians is Sutter going to cram in this? At least Pip, so far, acts better than Sheeran.

(Speaking of Pip, who plays "the moor's" superior... What's up with literally everyone, even his friends and Baronness Nice McGoodperson, just calling him "moor" instead of ever referring to him by name? Grow up, Sutter.)

There's still time to catch up! You don't want to be left out of the conversation do you?!

Yeah, the chatter around this show is deafening.

But seriously, it's tough to work up the will to watch this when I still have three Da Vinci's Demons episodes to watch. And by the time I finish that Master of None will be here, then Mr. Show, then Jessica Jones, then Transparent.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But seriously, it's tough to work up the will to watch this when I still have three Da Vinci's Demons episodes to watch. And by the time I finish that Master of None will be here, then Mr. Show, then Jessica Jones, then Transparent.

Man in the High Castle too!

Sorry for the back to back posts, but holy shit The AV Club gave tonight's episode an F.

That almost makes me want to catch up just so I can see how bad it gets.

Sorry for the back to back posts, but holy shit The AV Club gave tonight's episode an F.

That almost makes me want to catch up just so I can see how bad it gets.
I just caught the first bit of that review, and now I'm curious. Though I do feel good about only watching the premiere of TBX at this point.
The Bastard Executioner is exhausting. It’s an absolute mess of a TV show, with no real dramatic force or any sense of pacing, and its story is filled with elements that should be interesting—revenge, swords, sex, betrayal, some dude named The Dark Mute—but fall flat as soon as they hit the screen. This is not new to anyone who’s been reading these reviews every week, as I’ve struggled to really do more than shrug at this show’s existence because it can only muster a shrug when it comes to character motivation and narrative intrigue. With all that said, I’ll take the dull, lifeless version of The Bastard Executioner over this week’s cruel and despicable version any day.

IronRinn

After reading that AV Club review I am feeling even better about my decision to skip this show. Sutter is terrible.

ivysaur12

Banned
I try to shy away from negative criticism, but this has to be one of the worst, irredeemable episodes of television I've ever seen. What a piece of shit.

Damn, urge to watch and gawk at its awfulness rising.

You know it's bad when an Ivy post sounds like it could have come from my poison keyboard.

This episode had Sutter going into overdrive, and I understand the hate... He let his wife speak more lines in that terrible accent in this episode than she has throughout the series combined, he wrote himself as the superhero templar that can utterly destroy a dozen enemy combatants without breaking a sweat (they looked like they had been through an explosion with limbs and shit littering the combat area!) and he went so far with his jesus imagery bullshit that he actually wrote in a mcguffin in the form of an alternate bible literally written by jesus himself. Sutter and his wife are the fated and blessed keepers of this holy relic because of course they are.

Other than that, I have no idea why the frenchman was suddenly a wanted man and did Maddox always have a baby? I felt like I missed a whole season or something.

Damn, urge to watch and gawk at its awfulness rising.
Don't bother, man. It's not a spectacular and amusing kind of bad, it just has no fucking clue what it's about or where it's going. What I wrote above might sound amazingly bad but it just comes off as meh as you're watching (though that whole bit about the super-bible will make you scoff out loud).

guess I made the wise decision to never watch this show. But I'll shocked if it isn't canned.

ok, not really. It's Sutter on FX after all

faridmon

The player is actually enjoyable. I think you are missing out.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I have no idea why the frenchman was suddenly a wanted man and did Maddox always have a baby? I felt like I missed a whole season or something.

I have no idea why the frenchman is wanted by the law, but I believe Maddox's fake wife always had the baby.

I finally gave up on the show, had the past two episodes on my DVR, but just couldn't bare to watch anymore. Show is a boring, muddled mess and there's too many other shows/anime I have to watch to make anymore time for it.

Good luck guys!

I knew Wilken was Anora's and the Templar Knight's son. I bet she was the one that killed his wife too. Ash is a sick fucking bastard. Pretty big reveal. That beheading of Galveston was brutal. Wilken got a glimpse of what his fate is for being with someone above his station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom