• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kurt Sutter Drama Bastard Executioner Picked Up To Series By FX For Fall Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Deadline: Kurt Sutter Drama ‘Bastard Executioner’ Picked Up To Series By FX For Fall Launch
Kurt Sutter’s follow-up drama to Sons Of Anarchy is officially a go at FX. The cable network has picked up Sutter’s gritty Late Middle Ages drama pilot The Bastard Executioner to series with a 10-episode order. The pickup to the project, from Imagine TV, Fox 21 TV Studios and FX Prods., comes just as the the pilot wrapped production in Wales. Production on the series will resume there in the summer.

A period drama, The Bastard Executioner tells the story of a warrior knight (Lee Jones) in King Edward I’s charge who is broken by the ravages of war and vows to lay down his sword. But when that violence finds him again he is forced to pick up the bloodiest sword of all.

“From his important contributions to The Shield to his epic run on Sons Of Anarchy, Kurt has been one of FX’s most visionary artists, and we are proud to get him back on the air so soon after the unquestionable success of Sons,” said FX Networks CEO John Landgraf.

Added Sutter, “I love history. I love theology. I love blood. It’s been very satisfying weaving fact and fiction to create a new mythology that combines all these elements. And with this extraordinary cast — Stephen Moyer, Katey Sagal and newcomer Lee Jones — this world explodes on screen. I love working with FX and Fox21TVS. They’ve been my family for 15 years. They not only tolerate me, they embrace my extremely disturbing storytelling sensibilities.”

Bastard Executioner, created by Sutter, features series regulars Jones, Moyer, SOA‘s Sagal and Sutter, Flora Spencer-Longhurst, Sam Spruell, Darren Evans, Danny Sapani, Timothy V. Murphy, Sarah White, Sarah Sweeney, Elen Rhys, Ethan Griffiths and guest star Matthew Rhys.

PgKDe7f.jpg

A bunch of behind the scenes vids where the cast & crew discuss The Bastard Executioner while filming the pilot:
These are all about ~15-45 seconds long.

Cast list off of wikipedia:
Main cast
Lee Jones as Wilkin Brattle
Stephen Moyer as Milus Corbett
Brían F. O’Byrne as Baron Ventris
Flora Spencer-Longhurst as Baroness Lowry "Love" Aberffraw Ventris
Kurt Sutter as The Dark Mute
Kyle Rees as Calo Caine
Sam Spruell as Toran Prichard
Katey Sagal as Annora of the Alders
Darren Evans as Ash y Goedwig
Danny Sapani as Berber the Moor
Timothy V. Murphy as Father Ruskin
Sarah White as Isabel Kiffin
Sarah Sweeny as Jessamy Maddox
Ross O'Hennessy as Locke
Alec Newman as Leon Tell
Tim McDonnell as Huxley

Recurring/Special Guests
Matthew Rhys as Gruffudd y Blaidd
Martin McCann as Randolph Corset
Alun Raglan as Jonas The Collector
Alec Newman as Leon Tell

Are people going to check this out? I give most shows on FX a chance, though I'm a little skeptical about this one. Did the end of SoA burn people out enough that they want no part of this?

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I suppose I will eventually watch but the last few seasons of Sons were so terrible that I might wait awhile before jumping into this.

As i already said, i'm going to watch it. Good setting and it's FX. Yeah it's Sutter and SOA was pure trash the last 2 seasons, but i'm still watching this.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'll skip this. I've had my fill of Kurt Sutter and Katey Sagal.

Valhelm

contribute something
I'll watch it for the setting. It will be interesting to see an American take on medieval English history.

Bastard Executioner, created by Sutter, features series regulars Jones, Moyer, SOA‘s Sagal and Sutter, Flora Spencer-Longhurst, Sam Spruell, Darren Evans, Danny Sapani, Timothy V. Murphy, Sarah White, Sarah Sweeney, Elen Rhys, Ethan Griffiths and guest star Matthew Rhys.

I'm out.

I can't bear watching another show with these two and I certainly can't bring myself to watch something created by Sutter after SoA.

KorrZ

I'll check it out because early Sons was actually a good show and I'm a huge fan of period dramas so it's worth a watch.

Later Sons was pretty fucking bad though so we'll see how it turns out./

Tobor

If it follows Sons trajectory it will have an ok first season, a great second season, and then slide into shit.

There's no way this can be good (or, if it starts strong, stay good for more than a season or two)...that said I'm still game. The idea of a gritty medieval drama on FX is too much to handle. Makes me hope we get a Third Law adaptation some day.

If it follows Sons trajectory it will have an ok first season, a great second season, and then slide into shit.

With virtually characters loooong outliving their usefulness and dragging the show down like a huge anchor around its neck and Sutter enjoying torturing his character in ever more elaborate and gory ways.

Now he'll have swords to play with. I fully expect a scene where his character is tortured by having a hot sword shoved up his arse.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I haven't seen SoA, so I have no point of reference to Kurt Sutter, but I'm still looking forward to this because I think the premise sounds cool.

Ugh, does he really need to cast himself and his wife in this again....

Seriously,
Gemma
lasted far too long in SOA. Shoud've been killed off a lot sooner, but he had to drag it out like he does with everyone he kills off

Clay
was another. By the time they killed him it lost its purpose.

A period drama, The Bastard Executioner tells the story of a warrior knight (Lee Jones) in King Edward I’s charge who is broken by the ravages of war and vows to lay down his sword. But when that violence finds him again he is forced to pick up the bloodiest sword of all.

Sounds cliched as hell.

Bleepey

I am down the latter seasons of SOA was some of the most fucked up TV I have ever seen. I have only just seen season the final of season 6 and I don't get what people in Rhys thread are bitching about.

Kaladin

Sons of Anarchy certainly proved he can take a setting rooted in the real world and push it to the extremes and have fun with it.

Let's see what he does with medieval history.

styl3s

As laughably bad the final season of SoA was i still have complete faith in Sutter when it comes to making punishing and brutal shows that are entertaining as hell. Seasons 1-6 of SoA IMO were amazing in that brutal adult drama sense and i can't wait to see what he does in a show set in a period like this.

Also it's kind of shocking it's just now picked up i could of swore it was picked up like before the final season of Sons even started but i guess that was just a pilot order.

Kaladin

The last season of Sons wasn't all that bad. You knew by this point that the wheels were off and they were going balls out with the ridiculousness of the show. It was an enjoyable violent ride.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
this is going to be so unintentionally funny, just like SoA

might watch an episode just to see how Katie Sagal's gonna tackle that British accent, shit's gonna be hilarious

TVexperto

Even though I am excited about another show by kurt I really hope is will change up his style a little bit for this show and not rely too much on montages and Katey Sagal singing over it.

I didn't really see much of Sons of Anarchy, but I may watch this. Sutter just seems like the type of writer who shouldn't be in charge. He did some great work on the Shield, but it also seems like he needs someone to reign him in a bit. His idea for Dutch's ending on the Shield was terrible.

Zaph

Can't wait to see the ways Katey Sagal's character will screw up everyone's plans while maintaining invulnerable plot armour.

Frog-fu

Banned
Sutter? Sagal? Say no more. No, really.

I'm not even thinking of giving the pilot 5 minutes unless the reviews are glowing. I already suffered through the mess SOA turned out to be.

Anyone wanna place any bets how long the first montage opener is going to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom