• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kurt Sutter Drama Bastard Executioner Picked Up To Series By FX For Fall Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

I don't see Sutter being able to pull off a medieval setting all that well, but I'll check this out at the very least because I enjoyed SoA even with all it's faults.

eXistor

I kind a liked SoA for a bit, but it got very boring to me the more I watched. It just wasn't that well made compared to stuff like Breaking Bad or Boardwalk Empire from a technical and story standpoint, it was like a soap for dudes. I think I stopped after season 5. This show has a lot of convincing to do. Well, having Katey Sagal is one thing I guess.

FStop7

Banned
Katey Sagal as Annora of the Alders

Co-starring Katey Sagal as Katey Sagal

Special guest appearance by Katey Sagal

Featuring Katey Sagal

Soundtrack performed by Katey Sagal

Craft services courtesy of Katering Sagal

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
People didn't like SoA on Gaf? binge watched it earlier this year after hearing about good it was and was pretty impressed by it. People didn't like the later seasons though?

NYR

People didn't like SoA on Gaf? binge watched it earlier this year after hearing about good it was and was pretty impressed by it. People didn't like the later seasons though?
Show went on for two seasons too long. Characters become cartoon versions of themselves.

aku:jiki

It went on for too long and Sutter pussied out of killing characters when they needed to die. Clay and Gemma needed to die many seasons before they finally did, which would've allowed the other characters to grow further and faster and in a way that made more sense. Instead the show just stalled for 2-3 entire seasons while Sutter put off making the necessary sacrifices for as long as possible and characters started behaving nonsensically in order to keep the actors around.

I will give this new show a shot hoping that Sutter has learned but he probably hasn't. Who would tell him that he needs to shape up, his wife who played one of the characters he couldn't deal with killing?

Corpekata

Banned
Sagal was great in the first few seasons of Sons. The writing for her character just got super shitty.

Though I don't know if I see her fitting in this sort of show.

Sagal was great in the first few seasons of Sons. The writing for her character just got super shitty.

Though I don't know if I see her fitting in this sort of show.

It got shitty because her character became useless. She needed to die but Sutter couldn't bring himself to do it and what we got was four five seasons of characters acting in the most stupid and idiotic ways imaginable.

hydruxo

It went on for too long and Sutter pussied out of killing characters when they needed to die. Clay and Gemma needed to die many seasons before they finally did, which would've allowed the other characters to grow further and faster and in a way that made more sense. Instead the show just stalled for 2-3 entire seasons while Sutter put off making the necessary sacrifices for as long as possible and characters started behaving nonsensically in order to keep the actors around.

I will give this new show a shot hoping that Sutter has learned but he probably hasn't. Who would tell him that he needs to shape up, his wife who played one of the characters he couldn't deal with killing?

I think Clay died at the right time, or at least I felt the way they did it was fitting. Gemma on the other hand I agree that they dragged that out entirely too long. She should've been gone way before the last season. Her drama bogged down the show, but fortunately Jimmy Smits as Nero made her tolerable in later seasons once he showed up. Nero was probably the best written character on SoA.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
was about to post this. shit's gonna be so funny.

it really became clear how much Shawn Ryan kept Sutter's crap in check during The Shield. SOA wanted to have the same tone, but man was it bad and I can't comprehend why, with such a cool mixture of ingredients

mm04

It's going to be awesome when the main character finds a scroll written by his father and gains enlightenment. Then he becomes leader of a jousting club. Can't wait!

I haven't seen SoA, so I have no point of reference to Kurt Sutter, but I'm still looking forward to this because I think the premise sounds cool.

Imagine if del Toro thought The Strain was the most important piece of television in human fucking history and went on Twitter after every episode to call his critics the most vile things you can think of.

Oh, and now The Strain is based on Hamlet.

That, my friend, is Kurt Sutter.

Imagine if del Toro thought The Strain was the most important piece of television in human fucking history and went on Twitter after every episode to call his critics the most vile things you can think of.

Oh, and now The Strain is based on Hamlet.

That, my friend, is Kurt Sutter.

I'd be okay with it if del Toro had the Irish kidnap Zach, only he doesn't get rescued.

I still haven't seen Sons of Anarchy, so I have no idea what that would look like. Maybe that's for the best?

He'd be kidnapped and Eph would go to Ireland where he'd instantly forget about his missing kid, bang his sister, and then remember five episodes later that he had a child missing.

I haven't started into the last season of SoA but I generally enjoyed everything up to now. I'll check this out though I'm curious if he'll be able to really pull of a period piece, which requires a deal more work in executing than just "make it look like the Middle Ages."

Lengthy THR cover story:

- 'Bastard Executioner's' Kurt Sutter on His Troubled Past, C-Word Insults and New 'Sons of Anarchy' Spinoff

o5sYjEd.jpg

Powercast

I enjoyed SoA a lot so will definitely check this out. I like Kurt and his pulpy writing and also I can relate to his antics on twitter, if I was a successful TV writer I would probably do the same and shit on all awards shows.

Pretty cool featurette showing some of the crew making a long bow from scratch and then shooting arrows at a piece of meat:
- The Making of a Deadly Weapon

Also, the first review I've seen for the show is...positive? Kinda surprised, as I thought this would be universally panned.

- Deadline review:
With the debut of The Bastard Executioner on FX on September 15 at 10 PM, the Sons Of Anarchy creator has, as my video review above says, crafted a strong show that cuts sharp and deep. Honestly, it is something you don’t want to miss.
In its complex tale of Wilkin Brattle, played so well by Lee Jones, the ethos of Bastard reminds me a lot of the Christopher Nolan-directed Batman trilogy — with its heroic nuance and almost overwhelming sense of sadness. Forced to take on the identity and death-bringing profession of another, Brattle is a man at battle with himself in the court of his most hated enemies. That battle takes place against the often bloody backdrop of the nasty and brutish world, to paraphrase Thomas Hobbes, he lives in – a world, at least from the episodes that I’ve seen, Sutter has fully formed.

Should be more reviews soon.

Walpurgis

Banned
Hopefully the rest of the reviews follow this one. I want this to be good.
Me too. I still have 2 seasons left of SoA and I really like it but it's a flawed show. Sutter's inability to kill characters off when they have outlived their use to the story really drags the show down. I think he has good potential considering he worked on The Shield, a long time ago. I hope he will realises it with The Bastard Executioner.

choodi

Banned
Me too. I still have 2 seasons left of SoA and I really like it but it's a flawed show. Sutter's inability to kill characters off when they have outlived their use to the story really drags the show down. I think he has good potential considering he worked on The Shield, a long time ago. I hope he will realises it with The Bastard Executioner.

Stop. Stop right now. Just make up your own conclusion in you head and i guarantee that it will leave you far more satisfied than anything Sutter came up with. Approaching Dexter levels of terrible.

Walpurgis

Banned
Stop. Stop right now. Just make up your own conclusion in you head and i guarantee that it will leave you far more satisfied than anything Sutter came up with. Approaching Dexter levels of terrible.

Lol. I actually stopped watching Dexter after the trinity killer. I looked up some spoilers of the ending and....yeesh. I haven't heard much internet backlash so I doubt SoA is that bad.

breadtruck

It was a fun ride, but the last season was trash. Should have ended it the season before to save face.

Im probably not gonna watch this new series unless I see a ton of glowing reviews here. The trailer did nothing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom