• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kurt Sutter Drama Bastard Executioner Picked Up To Series By FX For Fall Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

choodi

Banned
Lol. I actually stopped watching Dexter after the trinity killer. I looked up some spoilers of the ending and....yeesh. I haven't heard much internet backlash so I doubt SoA is that bad.

I warned you. Don't blame me if you choose not to listen

not as bad as dexter, but as close as any show has come

While Dexter and SoA both had showrunners that were way too in love with their characters, SoA wins by a landslide. Scott Buck wouldn't go on Twitter after every episode to call people uncultured sell-outs.

Tubobutts

I like shows about medievalish stuff. Between this and The Last Kingdom, one of them will probably be okay. when does Vikings come back?

A couple of new reviews. Nothing from the more major sources yet:

- SF Chronicle review: (behind the paywall)
The series is not for the squeamish. But, as with “Game of Thrones,” the violence is not gratuitous but rather a necessary tool in telling the story. The Bastard Executioner not only hits the mark, it sets the bar very high for the rest of the fall season.
- Forbes review (contributor)
The Bastard Executioner is a show worthy of the eye-balls it’s sure to receive upon its series premiere (FX is one of the only basic cable networks still scoring worthwhile Nielsen ratings on its scripted dramas). The biggest thing to worry about, however, is a lingering question of whether or not viewers will be willing to sit through a lackluster nearly hour and a half of air time to get to the goods. But, if they do, it seems fair to say they’ll be rewarded on the other side of that journey.

Lengthy Q&A and a short profile on the lead:

- Deadline: Kurt Sutter Q&A: Diving Into The 14th Century For ‘The Bastard Executioner;’ A ‘Sons Of Anarchy’ Prequel And Spinoff
- NY Times: Fresh Face on TV: Lee Jones of ‘The Bastard Executioner’

I've always had a hard time getting into fantasy period pieces set in the middle ages, but I'm tempted to give this one a shot.

I've only seen one season of Game of Thrones, though, and want to catch-up even though its setting isn't especially my cup of tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom