• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Rapper Alive, Every Year Since 1979 | Complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bread

Banned
This isn't a list for you, people are talking about really popular songs by him and you're just saying "I don't like those".

big poppa ill give you but gimme the loot is average. his shit is overhyped but i hold him to the same standard as the guy who made juicy. how you gonna put out one of the best hip hop songs ever and then everything is just average and ok?

and also i agree with big takin the 97 spot cause he did have an impact. he deserves that, but giving him 95 just perpetuates this myth that he was on 2pacs level

Rethink your life.

Malyse

This list was created by white people for white people. And the White people who created this list, probably wasn't born to hear most of the rappers when they were relevant.

BY INSANUL AHMED, DAVID DRAKE, NOAH CALLAHAN-BEVER, CHRISTINE WERTHMAN, ERNEST BAKER, ROB KENNER, FRAZIER THARPE, DAMIEN SCOTT

iH8yeva.jpg
Tq9em1g.jpg
hPDL0qY.jpg
9AZUheZ6_200x200.jpg

fXnpisvO_200x200.jpg
EYclBpH.jpg
sR8iVST.jpg
g0BAS30.jpg

Congrats on a stupid post.

I agree with Nicki winning 2014, Pink Print was the best rap/hip-hop album of the year. Also, the queen of rap Cupcakke is gonna come in hot for the 2016 win.

shamanick

i agree with juicy and hypnotize but those are his only good songs worth playing, imo. a lot of other rappers still get play today but it doesnt mean they were the best in their day. i am forever grateful to biggie for those two songs but putting on the list twice against pac, especially in 95 makes no sense.

what the actual fuck

JABEE

Gimme The Loot is one of the greatest rap tracks of all time.

The way Biggie raps in two different voices and flows on the track is amazing. He's responding to himself. It's amazing.

jrush64

Banned
I agree with Nicki winning 2014, Pink Print was the best rap/hip-hop album of the year. Also, the queen of rap Cupcakke is gonna come in hot for the 2016 win.

lol. Are you serious, Pink Print?? First of all, Forest Hills Drive which released in december of that year absolutely dominated Pink Print in every way that year. Pink Print was wack. Anaconda... urgh. Pink Friday is her best work. Nicki Minaj was not the best rapper in any year at all.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I love Drake and Kanye.

But there is not a world in which they have ever been the best rappers on the planet. You can argue best albums. But best Rapper is like best guitarist. It implies a technical expertise or mastery of rapping as an art form. Neither of them are anywhere near the top of the game in that regard.

Also, where the FUCK is Big Boi.

MadSol

Unconfirmed Member
Was talking with a younger employee last week he asks a question and ends it by saying cool? I said "yeah Kool Moe Dee man - I go to work"
He's like whaaaat? So I showed some vids from the 80's- then I ended up not workin and playing them all day. Honestly haven't listened to much of the artists from 2000 on.

Juicy Bob

I really wish I could 'get' Drake.

Like I respect him and appreciate his skills and don't dislike him. It's just... I don't know. His music has just never grabbed me and made me think 'fuck! This is awesome!"

JeTmAn81

This list is invalidated by the presence of Drake.

edit: Also Lil Wayne. GTFO

edit 2: WHERES ANDRE 3000? 50 CENT IN HIS PLACE FOR 2003!?!?!?!?!?!

Mesoian

2010: KANYE WEST
2011: DRAKE
2012: DRAKE
2013: KENDRICK LAMAR
2014: NICKI MINAJ
2015: DRAKE

Nope. Not even close.

Seriously what? Get the fuck out of here.

Drake in a year where both R.A.P Music and Cancer 4 Cure came out. Fuck off.

FStop7

Banned
Gimme The Loot is one of the greatest rap tracks of all time.

The way Biggie raps in two different voices and flows on the track is amazing. He's responding to himself. It's amazing.

For a long time I thought it was him and someone from JM, not him doing both voices.

Anth0ny

This is old.

There is no way Nicki was #1 in 2014. Kendrick or Drake or Kanye.

Also, I feel like this would be less controversial if the list was called "Biggest Rapper Alive" rather than "Best Rapper Alive." It's pretty obvious that right now is Drizzy season and that Drake is the biggest rapper in the world. 50 thousand hit singles, #1 selling album, selling out concerts... does that make him the BEST rapper alive? Of course not, even Drake would probably admit that. But he's certainly the biggest right now, with Kanye a close #2.

Mesoian

This is old.

There is no way Nicki was #1 in 2014. Kendrick or Drake or Kanye.

Also, I feel like this would be less controversial if the list was called "Biggest Rapper Alive" rather than "Best Rapper Alive." It's pretty obvious that right now is Drizzy season and that Drake is the biggest rapper in the world. 50 thousand hit singles, #1 selling album, selling out concerts... does that make him the BEST rapper alive? Of course not, even Drake would probably admit that. But he's certainly the biggest right now, with Kanye a close #2.

I mean, if the list was "pop music's biggest rappers of the last 30 years" fine.

But best? Naw.

If new hip-hop consist of nothing more than Kendrick Lamar, then yeah that sucks. I'm not saying Kendrick is bad, either.

No way. His two masterpieces are among the best rap albums I've ever heard. He's not an artist that merely stands out due to the so called mediocre competition.

Like...Maad City was not the best rap album of 2012. Hard stop.

But to Pimp a Butterfly was probably the best album period of 2015.

2012 was pretty stacked, though Maad city won the battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom