• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Rapper Alive, Every Year Since 1979 | Complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Ying

Biggie was pretty great and he's my favorite rapper, but even if he wasn't on the list i would understand since Pac was crazy good too. Thos two are still to this day the best of th best, so it's alright.

Having no wu Tang Clan is awful though. Also Coolio. Gangsta paradise was a great album and no one remembers him. :(

For the newer part of the list... It's okay, i guess? I think Lil Wayne is godawful and Kayne is better but, that's just the way it is.

Aselith

Biggie was pretty great and he's my favorite rapper, but even if he wasn't on the list i would understand since Pac was crazy good too. Thos two are still to this day the best of th best, so it's alright.

Having no wu Tang Clan is awful though. Also Coolio. Gangsta paradise was a great album and no one remembers him. :(

For the newer part of the list... It's okay, i guess? I think Lil Wayne is godawful and Kayne is better but, that's just the way it is.

Fantastic Journey was the summer jam 94

2004 is kanye and for 2005 aka last year
UFxeIAh.png
it's the game

currently kendrick is king and j cole right behind him.

This is what I could come up with for the last 10 years.

2005: Lil Wayne | Runner-Up: Kanye West
2006: Lupe Fiasco | Runner-Up: TI
2007: Lupe Fiasco | Runner-Up: El-P
2008: Lil Wayne | Runner-Up: GZA
2009: P.O.S | Runner-Up: Kid Cudi
2010: Kanye West | Runner-Up: Eminem?
2011: Childish Gambino | Runner-Up: Tech N9ne
2012: Kendrick Lamar | Runner-Up: El-P
2013: Run The Jewels | Runner-Up: Childish Gambino
2014: Run The Jewels | Runner-Up: Schoolboy Q
2015: Kendrick Lamar | Runner-Up: Lupe Fiasco

2004 is kanye and for 2005 aka last year
UFxeIAh.png
it's the game

Just gonna gloss over the Tha Carter II in 2005?
I personally like Documentary better and think it ages better.

currently kendrick is king and j cole right behind him.

Sleeping on Lupe like Tetsuo wasn't a monster of an album...

Zekes!

I actually ain't mad at the list. It's pretty standard. I'm not a big Nicki Minaj fan but I appreciate her shout out 'cause she's put herself out there big time.

In regards to Drake...I enjoy his music to a point. I would never put him a GOAT top ten list, but commercially? Dude dominates the game right now, you can't even argue that shit.

preach

also, 50 Cent? Surely some other rapper put out a better album that year

Fam, Get Rich or Die Trying was a huge album. 50 was everywhere. I remember it coming out and my family was wilding about it. My older cousin was telling my dad he need to get on that shit

that list really highlights how much i prefer 90s hiphop to 00s stuff.. at least mainstream.

every artist after '98 is just blah. Eminem is fucking annoying and tries too hard, Drake is probably the most boring artist ever, Kanye is a clown.. i guess Kendrick is ok, just haven't heard a really good song by him.

Fam, Get Rich or Die Trying was a huge album. 50 was everywhere. I remember it coming out and my family was wilding about it. My older cousin was telling my dad he need to get on that shit

the only thing i give him credit for is having some hot beats on that album. his lyrics though were another story.

IrishNinja

so much scust in this thread

i like drake, but i can't help but wonder if a lot of his domination came from some tyson-like shit where there's just not as many heavy hitters in his league at the moment, also a result of the genre being kinda in a state of transition

that said, honestly i think his albums maintained a consistent quality right up until views - yeezy kinda fell off this year for me too, but he's at a much higher place in terms of output/culture tec

I thought it was a pretty good post actually

that's unfortunate b

FOH. 2015 belonged to Future.

i'm not even a big fan of dude and i can agree with this, yeah

Even if you don't like Lil Wayne there's no denying his impact in hip hop, especially during those years

also agreed

cordy

Banned
Kendrick got 2012 given GKMC came out then. Hell, although Drake was killing it with Take Care in late 2011, many forget that 2 Chainz had his big run in 2012. He was everywhere, you couldn't escape that man.

zoukka

So this list is purely made up based on sales and not the actual rapping quality.

Because where are the good rappers like Edan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom