• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Rapper Alive, Every Year Since 1979 | Complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesoian

No way. His two masterpieces are among the best rap albums I've ever heard. He's not an artist that merely stands out due to the so called mediocre competition.

2012 was pretty stacked, though Maad city won the battle.

Real talk, 2012 might be the best year in hip hop in the last decade. So much amazing shit came out that year, too much for Drake to even be considered, let alone mentioned.

And R.A.P. Music was the best album of that year.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I love Drake and Kanye.

But there is not a world in which they have ever been the best rappers on the planet. You can argue best albums. But best Rapper is like best guitarist. It implies a technical expertise or mastery of rapping as an art form. Neither of them are anywhere near the top of the game in that regard.

Also, where the FUCK is Big Boi.

Beaten out by 50

I imagine he'd be number 2 on that list for that year

Never cared for these best rapper/GOAT conversations. At the end of the day, it's:

"such and such has a bigger dick than this guy cuz of album sales."

"But such and such doesn't know how to make great lyrics or make good music"

"I don't think any of that dictionary/introspective/social commentary shit is good music"

"Not all dictionary shit is wack. Just like not all popular shit is good."

"Fuck that this dude the GOAT cuz of numbers STFU."

"Nah my man's better cuz of critically acclaimed shit"

And it goes on and on til the end of time. Now I just listen to what I like and call it a day.

CoolOff

GAF-Hop recently went over Wayne's greatness. People quoting the last 10 years as "smh" need to check themselves.

Only one year of Kendrick is a travesty.

Mesoian

People criticizing the list, who would you pick instead for the contested years?

Looking for recs.

Let's see

2015: Kendrick
2014: Run the Jewels
2013: Run the Jewels
2012: Killer Mike (This year is a fucking fight though, there are so many excellent albums here)
2011: Childish Gambino (I really wanna give it to Danny Brown, but I'd sooner give it to Kendrick)
2010: Kanye (Dat Freddie Gibbs though)

2016 will probably be Run the Jewels again if the rumors are true.

soultron

Banned
Why would you even get caught up in a list made to make you click on it for the sake of arguments after reading? This is the definition of clickbait.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Didn't know Redman was ever so highly regarded. I just knew him from shenanigans with Method Man. I've got some learning to do.

Why would you even get caught up in a list made to make you click on it for the sake of arguments after reading? This is the definition of clickbait.

It's a shit definition considering almost everything on the internet worth reading would fall under it.

Most people complaining about the list don't seem to want to read the article. It's a list of most influential rappers during a given period. Run the Jewels is not the most influential rapper of any period. Honestly, Lupe probably isn't either.

2000: EMINEM

I agree with that, but man...

1994718.jpg

CLASSIC

Not enough dust heads crying in here.

Ye' and Drizzy will continue to rule the world.

90s rap doesn't matter and anything before 84 is cornball shit.

jrush64

Banned
No one is questioning Wayne. He earned at least two of those years because he was at the top of the game.

However Nicki Minaj and Jeezy winning is major bullshit. Drake at least deserves to be on the list.

IrishNinja

biggie twice over pac once is crazy, biggie had two hits and the rest of his shit sucked. most overrated rapper

no killa cam as well list needs help

also no beasties?? in 1988-89? over slick rick! this list needs serious help.

no lil b either!

This dude put in hard work to make the worse post of a fairly bad thread

JeTmAn81

No one is questioning Wayne. He earned at least two of those years because he was at the top of the game.

However Nicki Minaj and Jeezy winning is major bullshit. Drake at least deserves to be on the list.

I question Wayne. He's garbage. A Milli is the worst hip-hop track I've ever heard. If it even qualifies.

That dip started at 98. I fuck with DMX, but he ain't ever in a discussion about best alive. Grandmaster Caz, do they mean Flash?

The state of the music from the 2000's was starting to grow sad until today. One woman on the list and it had to be Nicki. Thankfully, there's plenty out there for me to enjoy in the underground scene.

I didn't start fucking with Lamar until last year and from the drive-by stuff I've heard, from the mainstream, he seems to better than everyone else out here.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
This list was created by white people for white people. And the White people who created this list, probably wasn't born to hear most of the rappers when they were relevant.
In a thread full of dumb shit, this might be the most stupid.

If this was by white people there would be zero big names on it. Replace Weezy with Atmosphere once and squeeze Deltron on the list and we could talk about your theory being anything but ridiculous.

In a thread full of dumb shit, this might be the most stupid.

If this was by white people there would be zero big names on it. Replace Weezy with Atmosphere once and squeeze Deltron on the list and we could talk about your theory being anything but ridiculous.

Not to mention Aesop Rock all over the place. Dude's one of my favorites but he isn't getting major props from the majority of Black rap fans.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
i only like those two songs by him. his other shit was ok but nothing crazy good. and i agree he deserves to be on the list, esp 97, but not 95. i agree biggie is a monumental hip hop figure, even if i personally dont get the hype, but i dont agree with him on the list twice, esp 95

Its your opinion, but 95 Big was Unbelievable (pun intended)). Except for Repect, that entire album was so damn quotable. Everyday Struggle is like an episode of HBO being beamed into your ear. The What with Method sees two of most eminent emcees abuse the shit out of what is probably my favorite Easy Mo Bee production. Machine Gun Funk, Who Shot Ya, Warning...I mean...artists wish they had a song as influencial as some of the made and this due had a near full LP of classic and timeless tracks to the genre.

Thats just my argument tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom