• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The biker that was run over by the SUV in NYC might be paralyzed for life

Status
Not open for further replies.

The thing that is crazy to me is that everyone claiming they would do the same. Well the dude didn't even get away. What did he even gain by running people over? He just pissed them off even more. And they still didn't kill him/rape his wife and eat his baby.

So how can you think this was a good idea to romp on the gas and try and outrun a bunch of sportbikes?

The police are still investigating, they could still file charges. He will no doubt face a civil suit from the paralyzed rider, even if he wins he is out $$$.

So what did he gain?
His mistake was getting off the highway and not slamming into reverse and taking out everything in his path to safety at the end of the video. The biker sympathizes should be glad he didn't do the latter.

Pimpwerx

Shitting pants > multiple hit and runs.

I would have simply waited for the bikers to move and not give into road rage. or get into a getaway chase a child on board.

You would have clearly rolled down your window and asked to exchange insurance information, and then asked if anyone had called the cops to report the accident...amirite?

GTFO with that nonsense. I'm a rider and I've defended them in another thread months ago. There are instances where riders are unfairly targeted by police and forum posters. NOT HERE. This is a clear-cut case of a bunch of hooligans doing something really stupid and dangerous, and putting a family in a precarious position where instinct might drive them to flee. They chose to flee, and I'll be damned if I fault them for doing so over and through any obstacles in their way. Preservation of life is important. The rider who brake-checked the SUV did not choose that option. The rider who went to assist his friend on the ground, also did not choose that option.

If you engage in dangerous activity and get hurt in the process, why do you deserve any sympathy? The paralyzed rider will hope to get some rubes like yourself on that jury, who have no damn sense of responsibility. You'd award this clown money, when he doesn't deserve a red cent.

No license. No registration, from the sound of it. No right to even be in the position he put himself in. Running with a group that not only was engaging in dangerous and hostile behavior, but videotaped themselves doing so, like a bunch of fucking morons. If there wasn't video showing what happened, it might be possible to think the SUV driver was in the wrong. Not now. You can see with your own eyes what happened, and if you think the SUV driver is wrong, then you're a lost cause.

Common sense and responsibility are a must when riding a bike. They are inherently dangerous, and even the smallest spills could be potentially fatal. This group put any innocent riders with them in danger with their actions. I have zero sympathy. PEACE.

spootime

It is certainly his fault. I don't see why that necessitates having no sympathy.

Yes indeed. I don't see how this has to do with having or lacking sympathy.
IMO the lack of sympathy for this guy stems from the fact that his actions were putting a family with a two year old child at risk. Also, 17 traffic violations and he wasn't even allowed to legally be driving at the time? Can't say I'm unhappy that he won't be on the roads for a while.

Pimpwerx

The thing that is crazy to me is that everyone claiming they would do the same. Well the dude didn't even get away. What did he even gain by running people over? He just pissed them off even more. And they still didn't kill him/rape his wife and eat his baby.

So how can you think this was a good idea to romp on the gas and try and outrun a bunch of sportbikes?

The police are still investigating, they could still file charges. He will no doubt face a civil suit from the paralyzed rider, even if he wins he is out $$$.

So what did he gain?

If he had a full tank of gas, he would have gotten away. If his tire wasn't going down, he would have gotten away. It's certainly a better option to take your chances escaping danger than sitting and hoping that the clearly dangerous situation turns out to be benign. PEACE.

So what did he gain?

He actually made the error of leaving the freeway. That's why he came to a stop. He panicked and actually exited the freeway, going towards the downtown area and unfortunately hitting traffic.

It's easy to sit there and say, "Well why did he do that!!!!?" As if in the spur of the moment, with adrenaline and fear for yourself and your family at a high, with a large mob group of bikers stopping in the middle of a highway and surrounding you, attacking the back of your vehicle, you expect him to think "Hmm, well they are currently attacking the back of my vehicle. Let me assess the situation in a calm and logical manner. There may be a possibility if I drive away I might run over a guy, who just may take me to civil court and sue me. I also may just run into traffic later and take the beating anyway. It might be a more practical solution to just run the risk of getting my ass beat here and avoid any potential lawsuits!"

I am sure that is exactly how you would have handled the situation right?

So what did he gain?

So he shouldn't have even fucking tried to get away?

Holy shit.

Should he have just stayed there and taken it like a man? Nuts to that.

He was trying to get to a police station. I believe that's why he took that offramp because he was about a block away from the station.

20cent

Banned
haha, people shocked in other threads by fictional character causing indirectly death to people looking for it, but sympathize with real life douche SUV driver (pleonasm) running over random people. "yeah he thought the biker would scratch his car with an imaginary knife, it was a legitimate move, i would do the same"

He actually made the error of leaving the freeway. That's why he came to a stop. He panicked and actually exited the freeway, going towards the downtown area and unfortunately hitting traffic.

It's easy to sit there and say, "Well why did he do that!!!!?" As if in the spur of the moment, with adrenaline and fear for yourself and your family at a high, with a large mob group of bikers stopping in the middle of a highway and surrounding you, attacking the back of your vehicle, you expect him to think "Hmm, well they are currently attacking the back of my vehicle. Let me assess the situation in a calm and logical manner. There may be a possibility if I run away I might run over a guy, who just may take me to civil court and sue me. I also may just run into traffic later and take the beating anyway. It might be a more practical solution to just run the risk of getting my ass beat here and avoid any potential lawsuits!"

I am sure that is exactly how you would have handled the situation right?
I'm probably wrong but in the video it looks like a group of bikers rode ahead and blocked off the freeway making him exit it.

haha, people shocked in other threads by fictional character causing indirectly death to people looking for it, but sympathize with real life douche SUV driver (pleonasm) running over random people. "yeah he thought the biker would scratch his car with an imaginary knife, it was a legitimate move, i would do the same"

Go back to troll school. You need to study a lot more.

border

C-

Rafterman

Banned
Depends on the person, not the vehicle they choose to use. While yes, if I get hit on my bike, I have a greater chance of being hurt, but at the same time, it's wrong to think that just because you are on a bike in the first place then you are guaranteed to die or get hurt anymore than just living life on a daily basis.

Such ignorance.

Look, ride your bike all you want, no one cares. But your statement is nonsense. Motorcycles are absolutely more dangerous, and doesn't matter who is riding it. A person is 30 times more likely to be killed on a motorcycle than in a car. You are five times more likely to die on a motorcycle than skydiving. Would you compare walking out your front door to skydiving?

Translation: I have a stick up my ass about people who drive SUV's and I either haven't actually seen the video or reports, or I'm choosing to ignore them, but goddamn I just gotta use the word pleonasm.

Risible

Are you seriously brain damaged? No, really. Have you not read ANYTHING in this thread? There's so much wrong with this post that any attempt to rebut it would give me an aneurysm.

Hellion

The point is, he has no way of knowing. Mob mentality tends to spiral to absolute dumbshit in a hurry though, so I would never trust a mob trying to break into my car to have my best interests in mind.
True.

If they tried to get in car, sure. But I'd still get on the phone and dial 911.

Rafterman

Banned
True.

He did. Well before he was beaten, it didn't help him. And they were already beating on the car before he took off, and they slashed his tires, and tried to get into his vehicle.

Pimpwerx

True.

Yeah. You saw how fast they smashed his window with a helmet when he did stop? I'm sure in your city, 911 calls result in cops teleporting to your location within seconds on a highway, much less a highway in NYC. In the real world, regular traffic accidents can result in wait up to 20 minutes before a highway patrol or local PD can get to your location. I had an accident last year right next to an exit, and it took 15 minutes for FHP to get there. And I called them directly, the instant the accident happened. A Road Ranger showed up within 5 minutes, but they're only tasked with road repairs and stuff like that. They don't carry fireams and aren't uniformed officers afaik. You're not being at all realistic about this.

Anyone who's been on the highways in NYC knows this isn't a simple matter of calling the cops and waiting for help to arrive. There's a reason a roving mob of douchebags on bikes could maraud a around the city unimpeded the way they were in those videos, and it's NOT because help was right around the corner. I feel like there are far more cops on foot in the boroughs than there are officers in patrol cars. PEACE.

mm04

You would have clearly rolled down your window and asked to exchange insurance information, and then asked if anyone had called the cops to report the accident...

Great post. I also love the defense of the SUV driver hurt our friend so that entitled us to chase him down and drag him out of his car and beat him. Call the cops so they can arrest the driver? Nah.

antonz

So what did he gain?
Police report he called 911 during it all. No saying what might have happened after they got to him if the cops weren't already on their way. He wont lose a dime to the guy. He was beaten unconscious and they say he had lacerations to the chest which could suggest a weapon.

The paralyzed man has a criminal record of the same offenses over and over. He was breaking multiple laws just being part of the ride in NY that day

Hellion

Yeah. You saw how fast they smashed his window with a helmet when he did stop? I'm sure in your city, 911 calls result in cops teleporting to your location within seconds on a highway, much less a highway in NYC. In the real world, regular traffic accidents can result in wait up to 20 minutes before a highway patrol or local PD can get to your location. I had an accident last year right next to an exit, and it took 15 minutes for FHP to get there. And I called them directly, the instant the accident happened. A Road Ranger showed up within 5 minutes, but they're only tasked with road repairs and stuff like that. They don't carry fireams and aren't uniformed officers afaik. You're not being at all realistic about this.

Anyone who's been on the highways in NYC knows this isn't a simple matter of calling the cops and waiting for help to arrive. There's a reason a roving mob of douchebags on bikes could maraud a around the city unimpeded the way they were in those videos, and it's NOT because help was right around the corner. I feel like there are far more cops on foot in the boroughs than there are officers in patrol cars. PEACE.
If I'm seeing correctly that only happened after the hit and run.

Also Cops would have been dispatched to nearby highway exist. It's really easy to get caught in a nyc highway. But you have to be quick and dial 911.

Jenov

If you can't or won't see the difference between illegal action and defensive action then I don't think there's much of a discourse you and I can seriously have.

I mean, fucking honestly. You're going out of your way to equate the two in some bizzaro-universe where an illegal motorcycle driver with a nasty record of being a fucking horrendous driver takes illegal and offensive actions (can't just fucking block a legal car on the god damned highway like that) and juxtapose that against a legal driver trying to avoid serious bodily harm to him and his family with a mob of grown ass man-children ready to beat him down.

Just stop. Please.

I don't think this thread can withstand anymore truth bombs

toneroni

I know the SUV driver from my college days. Nice guy. I've seen these bikers shut down the highway a few months earlier too. What would you do in that same situation? They smashed the passenger side window earlier too w his wife sitting there. Hope they get locked up, bikes taken away or something..

I know the SUV driver from my college days. Nice guy. I've seen these bikers shut down the highway a few months earlier too. What would you do in that same situation? They smashed the passenger side window earlier too w his wife sitting there. Hope they get locked up, bikes taken away or something..

local news saying he was visiting from san diego for he and his wife's first year anniversary.

Pimpwerx

If I'm seeing correctly that only happened after the hit and run.

Also Cops would have been dispatched to nearby highway exist. It's really easy to get caught in a nyc highway. But you have to be quick and dial 911.

Dispatch still involves the nearest, available squad car finding the location and driving there. It's never instantaneous, and this all happened in a couple of minutes. The chase being an ongoing affair means a rolling target for the dispatch as well. It's hardly an easy situation for the driver or the cops. As stated, the driver did call 911, so that further debunks that theory. PEACE

-10/10.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

Same imaginary knives that slashed his face and tires. Let's not forget the imaginary helmets pretending to smash his car and windows or the imaginary 20 bikes surrounding and forcing his SUV to a full stop in the middle of the highway. Aparently these bikers love imaginary things so much, they had imaginary license plates and drivers licenses as well!

badb0y

So what did he gain?

They caught him up where other people can easily what was going on.

Personally, I wouldn't have gotten off the freeway and called the cops and told them I was being chased by a band of bikers, potentially life threatening on _______(insert location).

Flek

Banned
no sympathy - who cares about one of 200 criminals that tried to attack a family.

rr driver is a hero fuck those thugs. if they sue him iam making a kickstarter campaign for the rr driver

TheGamer

Here's a video showing the group of bikers intimating another driver back: skip to 1:15 and you'll see one guy trying to bash the side view mirror of prius.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=81e_1380656714

Also, Jalopnik has seven other videos demonstrating how the bikers were driving that day, including the video that was linked above.

http://www.jalopnik.com/the-footage-that-the-nyc-bikers-didnt-want-you-to-see-1435594427

You would have clearly rolled down your window and asked to exchange insurance information, and then asked if anyone had called the cops to report the accident...amirite?

GTFO with that nonsense. I'm a rider and I've defended them in another thread months ago. There are instances where riders are unfairly targeted by police and forum posters. NOT HERE. This is a clear-cut case of a bunch of hooligans doing something really stupid and dangerous, and putting a family in a precarious position where instinct might drive them to flee. They chose to flee, and I'll be damned if I fault them for doing so over and through any obstacles in their way. Preservation of life is important. The rider who brake-checked the SUV did not choose that option. The rider who went to assist his friend on the ground, also did not choose that option.

If you engage in dangerous activity and get hurt in the process, why do you deserve any sympathy? The paralyzed rider will hope to get some rubes like yourself on that jury, who have no damn sense of responsibility. You'd award this clown money, when he doesn't deserve a red cent.

No license. No registration, from the sound of it. No right to even be in the position he put himself in. Running with a group that not only was engaging in dangerous and hostile behavior, but videotaped themselves doing so, like a bunch of fucking morons. If there wasn't video showing what happened, it might be possible to think the SUV driver was in the wrong. Not now. You can see with your own eyes what happened, and if you think the SUV driver is wrong, then you're a lost cause.

Common sense and responsibility are a must when riding a bike. They are inherently dangerous, and even the smallest spills could be potentially fatal. This group put any innocent riders with them in danger with their actions. I have zero sympathy. PEACE.

This is exactly how I feel.

Flo_Evans

I'm not sure if you have already said, but if you were in the RR driver what would you have done?

I would not of been in that situation in the 1st place. If I see a large group of bikes coming up I would pull over, watch them do thier tricks and move on with my day.

But let's say I did accidentally hit a rider in a large group. I would stop, make sure he is ok and give him some money for the damage to his bike. If he wants to smash my headlight out or whatever fine, I have insurance.

If he really wants to brawl then fine, we can do that too.

The only situation where I can see myself just flooring it and running is if they approached the car guns drawn.

Amagon

I would not of been in that situation in the 1st place. If I see a large group of bikes coming up I would pull over, watch them do thier tricks and move on with my day.

But let's say I did accidentally hit a rider in a large group. I would stop, make sure he is ok and give him some money for the damage to his bike. If he wants to smash my headlight out or whatever fine, I have insurance.

The only situation where I can see myself just flooring it and running is if they approached the car guns drawn.

Why can't everybody be just like you?

railGUN

Banned

Do you have your wife and child with you when you decide to brawl it out? Are you comparing 1:1 to the situation?

Flo_Evans

Do you have your wife and child with you when you decide to brawl it out? Are you comparing 1:1 to the situation?

I would do everything possible NOT to make the confrontation physical.

But yeah I would step out of the car and fight before getting in a high speed chase with my kids in the car.

railGUN

Banned

But yeah I would step out of the car and fight before getting in a high speed chase with my kids in the car.

You would fight 10+ guys at once on a busy freeway with your wife and 2 year old child looking on. Okay buddy...

Edit: 10+ guys wearing helmets no less.

Jenov

I wouldn't dare give a chance to 30+ random angry people who are already breaking the law to corner me on a highway. The last thing I would do is give them access to my wife and child by opening my car door to them.

agrajag

Banned

Good thing you're not the guy, you probably would be dead now.

Flo_Evans

Why would I fight 10-30 guys. I think some of you are seriously over estimating the murderous intent of a bunch of squids doing wheelies on a Saturday afternoon.

If they really wanted to murder the guy and his family they would be dead.

From your take on things, you would be handling the safety if your family irresponsibly. It is not a good decision to sit there while they mob your car and just hope they'll get tired of it before they attack your family.

Flo_Evans

From your take on things, you would be handling the safety if your family irresponsibly.

I don't see a high speed chase with blown tires as very responsible. He could of easily flipped his car, hit another motorist or pedestrian, or paralyzed a motorcyclist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom