• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The biker that was run over by the SUV in NYC might be paralyzed for life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Clarification Edit: The man who was paralyzed, Mieses, was not the one that break checked the SUV.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/cops-hunt-bikers-wanted-wild-upper-manhattan-attack-article-1.1472419

I've been hearing conflicting reports about what happened.

Either the guy Cruz, who was the only one arrested, was driving erratically or he was brake checking the SUV. The SUV hit Cruz in the back of the motorcycle and Cruz wanted Lien to park on the side of the road. Supposedly some of the other bikers started hitting the side of the vehicle with their helmets and slashing his tire. The SUV sped up and ran over Mieses as well as a few motorcycles. Mieses was supposedly trying to check on one of the bikers at the time. Mieses was at first announced as having both legs broken, but it now looks like he might be permanently paralyzed. He is currently in a medically induced coma.

Some bikers chased after Lien. Cruz stayed behind to see to Mieses injuries and was not one of those people who drove after Lien in a scary chase.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/01/nypd-suspects-sought-in-attack-on-suv-driver/

Dayana Mieses, the wife of Edwin Mieses, said her husband got off his bike to help a biker who was hit in the initial collision.

“When all the bikers stopped, my husband got out, parked his bike to walk over to try to help his friend. He walked over towards the front of the vehicle when, at this point, I don’t know what happened the man was scared, the man just peeled off and ran over my husband,” she told WBZ-TV.

Mieses said her husband has injuries to his heart, lungs and ribs and that he is paralyzed from the waist down. The couple has two children, ages 15 and 9.
Some of the bikers are seen getting off their motorcycles and approaching the car. That’s when police said some of the bikers begin damaging the Range Rover, though it’s not clear from the video.

“They take their helmets and they start to dent his car and apparently his tires are slashed there,” Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

Update Edit:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/10/01/lawrence-man-seriously-injured-nyc-incident-involving-suv-and-motorcyclists/jHju3V1xAOsdF6Q2vT8BaL/story.html

Mieses was apparently not eligible to drive. He didn't have a motorcyclists license. He also has a history of being ticketed by the police.

Though Mieses is a Massachusetts resident, he has never had a valid Massachusetts driver’s license for a passenger vehicle and has never applied for a motorcycle license, the Registry of Motor Vehicles said.

Registry records show that Mieses applied for a learner’s permit in 1999 and 2000, but that he never obtained a full license because he failed to pay fines imposed after he was ticketed for speeding in Lawrence in 1999. His last contact with the Registry was in 2001, when he obtained an identification card, registry records show.

Since 1999, he has been ticketed by police 16 times, in Lawrence, Methuen, Roxbury, Andover, and New Hampshire, according to registry records.

In June, the Registry notified the National Driver Register that Mieses was a habitual traffic offender whose right to drive in Massachusetts was revoked until 2017, records show.

Sanjuro

Shouldn't have positioned himself in front of a large vehicle, who was forced to stop in the middle of a highway by a large group of angry vigilantes.

xclaw

Shouldn't have positioned himself in front of a large vehicle, who was forced to stop in the middle of a highway by a large group of angry vigilantes.

+1

Regardless or prior actions you just don't pull infront of a moving vehicle and hit your breaks. The intention was clearly obvious and this is a possible reaction. It's a shame paralysis is now something he'll have to deal with but I really have no pity.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is being paralyzed the foreseeable consequence of riding with a group of bikers?

mm04

He should've dropped back from the pack to begin with. What he was participating in was Menacing and trying to intimidate the SUV driver. Sucks for him, but don't stand in the way of a surrounded driver with his wife and child in the car.

MJLord

I've got sympathy for him. The SUV driver isn't the person who put him in that position though. It was his biker buddies who were causing trouble.

Abounder

Banned
So all of the other bikers left the crime scenes? Talk about a hit and run

I feel bad for the SUV driver, hopefully no mob tracks him down. He didn't start this shit.

Yea in the article there was a caption saying some of the other bikers are wanted for: " the beating and slashing a Manhattan man in front of his family"

Vicious revenge cycles are no joke

I feel bad for the SUV driver, hopefully no mob tracks him down. He didn't start this shit.

Hopefully the video helps the police find all the ones that were caused the bulk of these problems. What a terrible situation to be put in because of a few assholes and a mob mentality.

I remember there was a CSI episode like this (lab dude was being attacked in an alley and ran over a guy to get away). That episode ended with him being acquitted from the criminal trial, but then the guys family brought a civil suit against him.

Branduil

That sucks but I'm having a hard time mustering up much sympathy for a gang of bikers performing illegal driving maneuvers, endangering everyone on the road, and assaulting a man who probably accidentally tapped one of them lightly before they decided to surround him and provoke a fight-or-flight response.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oddly worded. It sounded like cruz was okay and politely asking the suv to pull to the side of the road.

He was from what I've heard. It sounds like Mieses walked over to ask if everything is alright. In general when a "pack" like this has a member that is hit they will usually all stop. The problem is if finding out if they were really hitting their helmet against the SUV hard enough "to cause dents" and slashing the tire since it doesn't from what I've seen show this in the video. Was this a case of the driver justified in feeling his life was in danger?

Douche brake checked SUV
SUV might have been aggressively SUV
SUV Hits guy who was in front of the car (When you pull over on the side of the road the car that was in front will generally be in front of the vehicle that hit it) so him checking on the guy would place him in front of the SUV
Bikers in the group road after the SUV while the guy who brake checked stayed behind
The Bikers that chased after the SUV beat the driver of the SUV.

Yawnier

Banned
Shouldn't have cut off a SUV like that on the fucking Henry Hudson Pkwy of all places in the world. He hardly gave buddy who he cut off in the SUV time to stop/brake and not hit him.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shouldn't have cut off a SUV like that on the fucking Henry Hudson Pkwy of all places in the world. He hardly gave buddy who he cut off in the SUV time to stop/brake and not hit him.

The guy who brake-checked the SUV is not the guy who was run over.

MJLord

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
The guy who brake-checked the SUV is not the guy who was run over.

Most of the thread thought this... someone explicitly told me it was as well. There were what seemed like hundreds of bikers and a few dozen gave chase after that happened. They probably saw someone escaping after what may have seen to them like a member being potentially killed. It's a terrible situation all around but I'm not suppressed that many people are celebrating this here because some have the mindset that this is was some contest to choose sides on and empathy on any level is a sign of weakness or a total endorsement of whatever side they've chosen.

It's a terrible end to an unfortunate and preventable situation.

J-Rod

Thank his friends and his own decision to participate in illegal shit. They are completely at fault.

usea

Thread full of victim blaming.

Nobody deserves to get run over. Even if you're riding a motorcycle. Even if you're riding near people who are doing questionable things. Even if you stop on the interstate/highway and get off your bike. You don't deserve bodily harm for that.

Oppo

Not taking anyone's side on this one.

Bikers were acting like dicks, and the SUV driver made an unbelievably bad decision as well and has now paralyzed this guy.

VALKYRAY

Banned

Nobody deserves to get run over. Even if you're riding a motorcycle. Even if you're riding near people who are doing questionable things. Even if you stop on the interstate/highway and get off your bike. You don't deserve bodily harm for that.
It's called collateral damage.
Live by the sword die by the sword.

MJLord

Not taking anyone's side on this one.

Bikers were acting like dicks, and the SUV driver made an unbelievably bad decision as well and has now paralyzed this guy.

The SUV was kinda forced into it. Terrifying situation to be put in. But you gotta have sympathy for the guy who was paralysed because he was put into that position by the other motorcyclists.

Sanjuro

If you lay in the middle of the street, do you "deserve" to be stuck by a vehicle?

massoluk

Banned

Uh... I think the SUV driver is forced into a fight or flight mode then, I can't really fault him. I don't think I could honestly say I can keep my calm also if I'm in his shoes.

leadbelly

Banned
He was from what I've heard. It sounds like Mieses walked over to ask if everything is alright. In general when a "pack" like this has a member that is hit they will usually all stop. The problem is if finding out if they were really hitting their helmet against the SUV hard enough "to cause dents" and slashing the tire since it doesn't from what I've seen show this in the video.

The camera is too far away at that point. Considering the other stuff they did that day, it is very believable.

MJLord

The camera is too far away at that point. Considering the other stuff they did that day, it is very believable.

It's a valid claim, one I'm inclined to believe as well. Someone posted a link above with some videos of them earlier in the day.

Jenov

If a mob of bikers are illegally detaining you and threatening to assault you and your family, it's fair to use your car as a defense.

Flo_Evans

Uh... I think the SUV driver is forced into a fight or flight mode then, I can't really fault him. I don't think I could honestly say I can keep my calm also if I'm in his shoes.

Could you keep your calm if you just saw your friend get run over by an SUV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom