• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The biker that was run over by the SUV in NYC might be paralyzed for life

Status
Not open for further replies.

usea

Daily motorcycle rider here ... as much as I want to blame the SUV for what happened (SUV more deadly than a bike on a road) the bikers really seem to be to blame for all this occurring (if the reports are true).

While it is incredibly frustrating to constantly deal with drivers in SUVs, trucks and cars that are absolutely oblivious to bikers and sometimes hostile (let's not even get into cell phone use while driving, ugh), the bikers created this situation. The high road was something they chose not to take and thus, had to deal with the consequences.

Sad situation all around and I know some bikers are kinda pissed by stuff like this because if gives us such a bad name ...
I believe that some/many of the bikers are at fault, and they created the situation. Some people in the thread are saying that the guy deserves to be run over by a car because he was part of that group riding. Nobody deserves to get run over by a car, no matter what they're doing.

Sanjuro

I believe that some/many of the bikers are at fault, and they created the situation. Some people in the thread are saying that the guy deserves to be run over by a car because he was part of that group riding. Nobody deserves to get run over by a car, no matter what they're doing.

So, your answer to my question is no I take it?

Hope this serves as a valuable lesson to anyone thinking of terrorizing random cars on the road. I'm sure it won't. I feel for his family and anyone who has to take care of his medical bills.

Don't fucking block large vehicles while your dumbshit friends are bashing it with helmets and slashing it with knives, you dumb fuck. No sympathy for this moron.

No Love

Banned

So if my friends have guns (but I don't, unarmed), and start shooting at random people, and the random people pull out guns and take fire at us and I get shot, do I deserve it?

Well, I think the better answer is: should I have thought better about being around people doing such stupid, horrible things? I'll let you figure that one out since you're having so much confusion over this issue.

Bo-Locks

Brilliant.

I was disappointed when the initial comments which alleged the biker had died were shown to be false, and nothing more than "Stuntz' propaganda, but this is perhaps an even better outcome.

Effnine

True, nobody deserves to get run over. However, if I were faced with a potential life/death situation with my wife and child, then I'm going to do whatever it takes to protect them. From watching the video footage, I'm not sure what other choices the SUV driver had that particular time. The guy was completely surrounded ...

Jenga

Banned
thread full of driver blaming

the real culprit is the SUV itself, should have safely removed the family and then beat up the vehicle

usea

So if my friends have guns (but I don't, unarmed), and start shooting at random people, and the random people pull out guns and take fire at us and I get shot, do I deserve it?

Well, I think the better answer is: should I have thought better about being around people doing such stupid, horrible things? I'll let you figure that one out since you're having so much confusion over this issue.
No, you don't deserve to get shot for what your friends do. What you're describing is victim blaming.

Also your tone is very confrontational. You're making up all kinds of things about me and I'm not going to reply to you again.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

There are clearly situations where someone deserves to get hit by a car.

Discusguy

Everyone involved deserved what they got. Its just like being tailgated. Its up to you as the driver if you want to play the tailgaters game or not. If you end up playing than both are at fault.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm not convinced about the whole 'everyone else was running to confront the driver except this guy he was just helping his friend' angle, it smells fishy.

Kuroyume

Banned
Just curious... When the biker started smashing the window with the helmet would the driver have been justified in shooting him there if he had a gun? Don't know anything about gun laws but if I was in that postition I would have to defend myself.

Sanjuro

Just curious... When the biker started smashing the window with the helmet would the driver have been justified in shooting him there if he had a gun? Don't know anything about gun laws but if I was in that postition I would have to defend myself.

It was in New York, so I'm sure there would be a large grey area about defending himself in that situation.

Twio

I can't imagine any.

Having a group of fifty hostile bikers surround your car who then try to drag you out of your car and beat the shit out of you and possibly harm your family comes to mind.

Edit: My wording was horrible. Blame the shit out of me please.

usea

Having a group of fifty hostile bikers surround your car who then try to drag you out of your car and beat the shit out of you and possibly harm your family comes to mind.
You deserve to get run over if that happens to you? Man, you must really hate SUV drivers.

No, you don't deserve to get shot for what your friends do. What you're describing is victim blaming.

Also your tone is very confrontational. You're making up all kinds of things about me and I'm not going to reply to you again.

Victim blaming would be to say that he deserves it. If he wants to press charges on hisfriends that put this into motion and esclated it, then I think he's within his right to do so. However, I could see a jury say that he was part of what set it in motion at least.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

The driver wasn't the one run over, I'm not sure what gave you the impression he was.

Well, maybe he was beaten afterwards but at the time he was still in the SUV.
Victim blaming would be to say that he deserves it.
How, exactly, are you reading these posts?
Shouldn't have positioned himself in front of a large vehicle, who was forced to stop in the middle of a highway by a large group of angry vigilantes.

+1

Regardless or prior actions you just don't pull infront of a moving vehicle and hit your breaks. The intention was clearly obvious and this is a possible reaction. It's a shame paralysis is now something he'll have to deal with but I really have no pity.

Play with fire you die

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

There are consequences to playing tough guy.

Not much else to it.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Tough titty.

I feel more sorry for the driver having to deal with the fact he paralyzed someone.

Homeboyd

Clearly the answer is just sit on your hands and let yourself and your family get beat to shit by a bunch of thugs. I mean, I figured this was common knowledge. What's wrong with you people?!?

Everyone involved deserved what they got. Its just like being tailgated. Its up to you as the driver if you want to play the tailgaters game or not. If you end up playing than both are at fault.

What kind of attitude is this? Somebody acting a shithead, and somebody else is like fuck you shithead, then it's their fault if original shithead gets hurt or something.

OG shithead is at fault. There is no game. Why do people want to absolve instigators and put the blame on the people who are have to deal with their bullshit.

Twio

Clearly the answer is just sit on your hands and let yourself and your family get beat to shit by a bunch of thugs. I mean, I figured this was common knowledge. What's wrong with you people?!?

That wasn't what I meant, at all. My apologies.

Sanjuro

The man in question deserved to die, suffer injury, or whatever the consequences come of stepping in front of a vehicle on a major highway.

I'm not seeing the opposition here.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Don't start shit, there won't be no shit.

Obviously, it's a pity that the guy is gonna be paralyzed, but he and his gang brought it on himself.

AVclub

Not taking anyone's side on this one.

Bikers were acting like dicks, and the SUV driver made an unbelievably bad decision as well and has now paralyzed this guy.
I have a kid. If I was driving down the highway and a swarm of bikers surrounded my vehicle and brought it to a halt, there is no measure of fucked up that would be too extreme in my mind to keep the two year old in my car protected from them. I would run people over. I would destroy property. I would kill or die. As a parent, there isn't a decision. It's just an instinct that takes over. So if the guy who got paralyzed was at the wrong place wrong time, that's too bad but I wouldn't lose sleep knowing my child was safe. Who knows what would have happened on that highway if he didn't stomp on the gas.

The driver wasn't the one run over, I'm not sure what gave you the impression he was.

Well, maybe he was beaten afterwards but at the time he was still in the SUV.

How, exactly, are you reading these posts?

I think most of them are confusing the guy who Break-checked as the one who got seriously hurt. The others are just saying tough shit, he knew what he was getting into riding with this crew. The crew is to blame, and he is part of that crew.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
A mob isn't a single unit. Just because you're grouping people based on some attribute ("all riding motorcycles") doesn't mean you can punish individuals in that group for actions of others in that group. People are individuals. If you see everybody in that group as the same, that's an error on your part. Using it to justify actions is ignorance.

Also, just because you're scared or some guy is slashing your tires doesn't mean you can murder anybody who gets in your way. That's not okay.

It's absolutely ok. On what planet is escaping a group of people bashing your windows in and brandishing knives not "okay?" It's 100 percent unequivocally ok. Especially when your kid is with you.

Discusguy

I'm driving on the road with my wife and 2yr old. I see a bunch of bikers acting like idiots. I wouldn't draw their attention to me. I'd slow down and let them pass knowing I have my family in the car with me.

quickwhips

I can't imagine any.

A guy is shooting at you and you are in a car that doesn't have reverse.

Also how come the driver didn't have his doors locked when the vehicle stops that one time. Crazy...lock your doors when getting chased by a crazy mob.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm driving on the road with my wife and 2yr old. I see a bunch of bikers acting like idiots. I wouldn't draw their attention to me. I'd slow down and let them pass knowing I have my family in the car with me.

The video shows him doing exactly that. He's continuously slowing down. Perhaps he should have just stopped completely?

I have a kid. If I was driving down the highway and a swarm of bikers surrounded my vehicle and brought it to a halt, there is no measure of fucked up that would be too extreme in my mind to keep the two year old in my car protected from them. I would run people over. I would destroy property. I would kill or die. As a parent, there isn't a decision. It's just an instinct that takes over. So if the guy who got paralyzed was at the wrong place wrong time, that's too bad but I wouldn't lose sleep knowing my child was safe. Who knows what would have happened on that highway if he didn't stomp on the gas.

This exactly, if my family of two young children or my partner or my friends or just myself were in this sort of danger then it's safety first, laws a distant second. From a number of clips I've seen these bikers are complete asshats, I don't wish any of them harm/paralysis but they brought this on themselves. Most of them even premeditated removing their license plates knowing what they're getting up to that day.

Side note: I've had a 20 minutes chase by a crazed green Audi on an Australian major freeway which went into suburbia and the attacker cornered me, side swiped, halted, got out of the car and the entire time my vehicle was the only thing keeping this guy from tearing me to pieces. I knew if he got to my vehicle and got me out I was fucked. In these situations your flight or fight response takes over very quickly. Long story short I dodged a life threatening situation when halted and was able to split second outmanoeuvre the attacker using my vehicle and an illegal turn I pre-planned to pull into a police station at 11.30PM at night. License plate and freeway cameras ensured the cops put that guy in jail. I hope any involved bikers get the same.

Twio

this is why as a father, I am happy to carry a firearm with my family when we go to places.

Yeah I don't necessarily agree with this post but the use of a firearm in this case was definitely warranted (when it got to the point of one of the bikers assaulting the driver) .

But then again, you would be up against a shit load of bikers with one gun.

JDSN

Banned
My sympathies for the wife and kids. I hope the family man that actually gives a shit about his family (SUV guy) gets out of the hospital soon.

antonz

this is why as a father, I am happy to carry a firearm with my family when we go to places.

unfortunately New York has limited magazine capacity to 7 rounds. I am guessing some of those thugs had guns themselves. 7 round limitation makes things a lot tougher with those kind of numbers

sk3

Banned
If the driver had a gun he would probably be dead right now. It could go two ways, either it scares everyone off, or they all rush the car and possibly shoot back if any of the bikers are carrying.

That's a huge gamble with a 2 year old in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom