• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The biker that was run over by the SUV in NYC might be paralyzed for life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I can't really blame the SUV driver, he was about to get assaulted by a huge number of bikers. Shouldn't hang around with a crowd that likes to act foolish and endanger peoples' lives, because usually nothing good comes out of it, like this case.

AkuMifune

Banned
Could you keep your calm if you just saw your friend get run over by an SUV?

Nope. If I was the guy in the SUV with my family I would have floored it. If I was a guy on a bike and saw the SUV floor it I would follow + harass him, possibly assault him.

That's why this situation is just fucked up. Unless I saw he had a family, I guess that's where I would understand and leave him alone. I hope. Don't know.

akira28

If a mob of bikers are illegally detaining you and threatening to assault you and your family, it's fair to use your car as a defense.

No lie, I would probably need the witness relocation program right now. Because I would have been going like Carmageddon. I don't trust MC 1%ers, especially a bunch of angry ones.

Thread full of victim blaming.

Nobody deserves to get run over. Even if you're riding a motorcycle. Even if you're riding near people who are doing questionable things. Even if you stop on the interstate/highway and get off your bike. You don't deserve bodily harm for that.

He wasn't just chilling on the side of the road sipping a water to refresh and the SUV was like fuck that guy, ima hit him., come on man.

Sucks what happened though.

VALKYRAY

Banned
Could you keep your calm if you just saw your friend get run over by an SUV?
I call 911 immediately, maybe exaggerating while describing the situation but I would not start some shit like that. Why because I'm a grown adult, I know how to control

jediyoshi

Nobody deserves to get run over. Even if you're riding a motorcycle. Even if you're riding near people who are doing questionable things. Even if you stop on the interstate/highway and get off your bike. You don't deserve bodily harm for that.

Well when you take the entire context of the situation out of your analysis of it, sure. I think people are prefacing their feelings with what's in the video and evidence outside of your listed traits of theirs.

MarkusRJR

Are you fucking kidding me?

A mob of bikers surrounded the RR, then the guy in front of the RR suddenly stops and gets hit since the driver had no way of knowing he was going to go into a complete stop. Afterwards the bikers all stop and maybe something happened (no footage). The driver in the RR is with his wife and child. Freaking out over the fear of his family getting hurt he gets the fuck out of there. The mob of bikers then attacks the RR and chases it down, eventually using helmets to break open the windows. Right after the windows are shattered the biker with the camera cuts off the video.

The fact none of them have plates on and there was info of other illegal acts by the mob of bikers means they've probably been doing dangerous shit (for themselves and drivers on the road) throughout the day. They deserve no sympathy. They could have easily killed someone else over their dumb actions.

If a mob of bikers are illegally detaining you and threatening to assault you and your family, it's fair to use your car as a defense.

Except that we have no way of knowing if the guy who was hit was threatening the SUV. "The Bikers" are not the fucking borg, they are individuals and saying that the guy who got is paralyzed deserved it for being associated with them is not fair.

Remove license plate + countless illegal driving offenses + start intimidating other traffic = no sympathy when you get hurt.

No one 'deserves' to get hurt, but with behavior like this, it's your own goddamn fault.

I have no sympathy for the bikers, they should all be arrested and stay sometime in jail.

Even in the case that the SUV driver was wrong (clearly it is not the case, the biker caused the initial accident) there is no excuse to threaten the driver like that, and his wife and 2 years girl. On top of that, beat the guy in front of his wife/child? Burn in hell, bikers.

J-Rod

The guy knew exactly what he was partipating in. Let's not pretend he is an innocent bystander caught in the crossfire. I guess it is ok to remove your license plate so you can put yourself and others on the road in danger, but if you get hurt because of it then throw a pity party?

Jay Fray

Where does it say the paralyzed biker did all of that?

It doesn't, but you're responsible for your own actions and when you associate with a large group of people with no regard for the law, then you become accountable for the things that happen to you.

It's a terrible situation that was easily preventable. The worst part is they will do this ride again next year, probably use the paralysed rider as their "motivation" and cry about being oppressed by the police when they try to shut it down.

Arcteryx

*shrug*

Next time don't participate in illegal activities, threaten other drivers, or act like a general dipshit on the road.

I really don't feel the slightest bit of anything for that idiot.

Cat Party

I don't blame the victim. No account says he was threatening anyone. Some say he was just trying to help the rider who got hit.

But I don't blame the car driver either. This situation was caused by the guy who got hit being a dickhole.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

you do not stop and get off your bike/car in the middle of the road.

I don't blame the victim. No account says he was threatening anyone. Some say he was just trying to help the rider who got hit.

But I don't blame the car driver either. This situation was caused by the guy who got hit being a dickhole.

Agreed. What's the stopping distance on a bike compared to an SUV?

Jay Fray

Agreed. What's the stopping distance on a bike compared to an SUV?

It's a question more motorcyclists need to ask themselves before they make the stupid decision to brake-check a vehicle behind them. I'm not even sure why you would want to slow down rapidly in front of a moving object that is often weighed in tonnes.

Bullshit. You don't attack someone or be complicit in attacking someone then cry foul when they do what it takes to escape.

It's not about what a person "deserves". Actions & choices have consequences. You don't live in a utopia. This is the real world. You brake check someone like that on a fucking motorcycle when they're in an SUV that weighs several times your 2 wheeled vehicle it stands to reason you're making a choice to risk your safety. You start surrounding a stopped vehicle and start attacking it to intimidate those inside it stands to reason you are willing to do violence.

Choices have results. This is an unfortunate result of the shitty choices of those bikers. Deserved? Maybe, maybe not. But they took the risk via their actions and now must live with the consequences.

usea

A mob isn't a single unit. Just because you're grouping people based on some attribute ("all riding motorcycles") doesn't mean you can punish individuals in that group for actions of others in that group. People are individuals. If you see everybody in that group as the same, that's an error on your part. Using it to justify actions is ignorance.

Also, just because you're scared or some guy is slashing your tires doesn't mean you can murder anybody who gets in your way. That's not okay.

Twio

What a load of bull shit. I'm sorry but this man is in no way a fucking victim and I don't feel any sympathy for him at all. He put his life in danger when he brake-checked the SUV and what has now followed is entirely his fault.

Play stupid games & you win stupid prizes.

No Love

Banned
A mob isn't a single unit. Just because you're grouping people based on some attribute ("all riding motorcycles") doesn't mean you can punish individuals in that group for actions of others in that group. People are individuals. If you see everybody in that group as the same, that's an error on your part. Using it to justify actions is ignorance.

Also, just because you're scared or some guy is slashing your tires doesn't mean you can murder anybody who gets in your way. That's not okay.

Guess what... you join in with a mob like that, you affiliate yourself with them, be prepared to deal with the consequences. That's life: choose your friends carefully because you might pay for their stupid actions. Don't tell me you're naive enough to not have realized that by now.

And umm, I'm sorry, if you're afraid for you and your family's life and a mob is attacking your car and slashing the tires, you are ALLOWED BY LAW TO ESCAPE, even if it means using self-defense (in this case, the person's vehicle.)

I don't know what La-La Land you live in, but this is the real world. If you need to defend yourself, you do so. If it's you, your wife, and a fucking baby against 50+ dudes on motorcycles... I'm sorry but they took their own lives in their hands when they decided to assault a 5000 lb vehicle while they're on motorcycles.

Deal with it.

Edit: Basically, everyone in these two threads saying the SUV driver is at fault is basically saying it's OK to assault someone and their family, to gang up on people and do commit illegal acts of violence and intimidation, and if the person defends themselves, they will be the ones in trouble because you should be able to assault and attack people in groups. Am I wrong?

Must be nice to live in La-La Land...

usea

What a load of bull shit. I'm sorry but this man is in no way a fucking victim and I don't feel any sympathy for him at all. He put his life in danger when he brake-checked the SUV and what has now followed is entirely his fault.

Play stupid games & you win stupid prizes.
Not the same guy. Read the story. It could be inaccurate. But unless you have some evidence to the contrary, I'm going to go with the story in the OP.

Guess what... you join in with a mob like that, you affiliate yourself with them, be prepared to deal with the consequences. That's life: choose your friends carefully because you might pay for their stupid actions. Don't tell me you're naive enough to not have realized that by now.

And umm, I'm sorry, if you're afraid for you and your family's life and a mob is attacking your car and slashing the tires, you are ALLOWED BY LAW TO ESCAPE, even if it means using self-defense (in this case, the person's vehicle.)

I don't know what La-La Land you live in, but this is the real world. If you need to defend yourself, you do so. If it's you, your wife, and a fucking baby against 50+ dudes on motorcycles... I'm sorry but they took their own lives in their hands when they decided to assault a 5000 lb vehicle while they're on motorcycles.

Deal with it.

Edit: Basically, everyone in these two threads saying the SUV driver is at fault is basically saying it's OK to assault someone and their family, to gang up on people and do commit illegal acts of violence and intimidation, and if the person defends themselves, they will be the ones in trouble.

LOL OK. Must be nice to live in La-La Land...
Grouping individuals as "others" like that is the cause of your error. If one guy wearing a blue shirt is beating on your car, it doesn't absolve you of responsibility when you murder another guy wearing a blue shirt in your escape. And it doesn't mean that people wearing blue shirts that day are at fault for anything bad that happens to them.

I don't think he deserved it.

But, I don't think the driver is a fault, either. The guy who break-checked the driver, on the other hand? he deserved to get hit... maybe not paralyzed, but definitely hit for that stunt.

This should be a lesson about trying to act tough in a group. There are consequences for bully actions. Sometimes they are light, sometimes, they are like this. As far as I'm concerned, the blood is on the bikers who threatened the driver's hands.

KillGore

The driver clearly fled out of fear, and it seemed like he didn't want to hurt any of the bikers. If he really wanted to fuck these guys up, he could've smashed their bikes while they were following him, instead he stopped once in the middle of the road and only fled (a second time) when a guy came running towards him while trying to open his door.

Twio

Not the same guy. Read the story. It could be inaccurate. But unless you have some evidence to the contrary, I'm going to go with the story in the OP.

It doesn't matter who it was. They were all acting as a mob and intimidating that guy. He was putting himself in danger by putting himself in that situation. Every single one of those bikers instigated the situation and they're all guilty by association.

No one put a gun to his head and made him stay there.

It's not about punishment or murder. Stop being hyperbolic. It's about escaping imminent harm and fearing for the safety of your family. Period.

Would I have LOVED if all the bikers got the fuck out of the way and let the SUV go? Sure. But they didn't and the driver of the SUV had no choice but to either remain where they were and risk harm to him or his family or try to flee.

He chose the latter and so would most sane people. Expecting another outcome when the bikers are at fault and continued to provoke a confrontation is ignorance.

usea

The driver clearly fled out of fear, and it seemed like he didn't want to hurt any of the bikers. If he really wanted to fuck these guys up, he could've smashed their bikes while they were following him, instead he stopped once in the middle of the road and only fled (a second time) when a guy came running towards him while trying to open his door.
His tire being flat probably contributed to him deciding to stop again, too.

Deal with it.

Edit: Basically, everyone in these two threads saying the SUV driver is at fault is basically saying it's OK to assault someone and their family, to gang up on people and do commit illegal acts of violence and intimidation, and if the person defends themselves, they will be the ones in trouble because you should be able to assault and attack people in groups. Am I wrong?

Must be nice to live in La-La Land...

dhMeAzK.gif

No Love

Banned

Grouping individuals as "others" like that is the cause of your error. If one guy wearing a blue shirt is beating on your car, it doesn't absolve you of responsibility when you murder another guy wearing a blue shirt in your escape. And it doesn't mean that people wearing blue shirts that day are at fault for anything bad that happens to them.

I'm sorry dude, next time I get attackedi n my car by an angry mob of psycho bikers, I'll make sure to carefully maneuver around one of the psychos in front of me because he is not attacking me at the moment.

You live in a fantasy world where everything can be carefully considered and calculated when in a high-intensity, life or death situation. This isn't a videogame, you don't get bullet-time. All you think of is your passengers and getting away from the threat at any cost.

I have first hand experience with this exact type of incident, you don't. So please, drop the bullshit "you should be considerate when being attacked and put into harm's way."

Let me guess, you're one of those people that think if you're being attacked, you can shoot to disable an adversary instead of shooting to kill. LOL

Sanjuro

I don't think he deserved it.

But, I don't think the driver is a fault, either. The guy who break-checked the driver, on the other hand? he deserved to get hit... maybe not paralyzed, but definitely hit for that stunt.

This should be a lesson about trying to act tough in a group. There are consequences for bully actions. Sometimes they are light, sometimes, they are like this. As far as I'm concerned, the blood is on the bikers who threatened the driver's hands.

Again, if you lay down in the middle of the road, do you "deserve" to be hit by a vehicle?

Twio

That's life: choose your friends carefully because you might pay for their stupid actions. Don't tell me you're naive enough to not have realized that by now.

Yup, that's the law. When bank robbers are caught everyone gets punished, even the getaway driver. This situation is no different. It's guilt by association and it's the law of the land.

No Love

Banned
Yup, that's the law. When bank robbers are caught everyone gets punished, even the getaway driver. This situation is no different. It's guilt by association and it's the law of the land.

Yup. My grandfather was once arrested for being a getaway driver. Thing is, he had no idea that he was a getaway driver until his friends came back from where they were stopped and said "quick, drive fast! We just robbed that place!" LOL

Batman

Banned
Again, if you lay down in the middle of the road, do you "deserve" to be hit by a vehicle?

If a person voluntarily lays down in the middle of the road then it's on that person, if the person is placed on the middle of the road by other people then he/she's a victim.

Effnine

Daily motorcycle rider here ... as much as I want to blame the SUV for what happened (SUV more deadly than a bike on a road) the bikers really seem to be to blame for all this occurring (if the reports are true).

While it is incredibly frustrating to constantly deal with drivers in SUVs, trucks and cars that are absolutely oblivious to bikers and sometimes hostile (let's not even get into cell phone use while driving, ugh), the bikers created this situation. The high road was something they chose not to take and thus, had to deal with the consequences.

Sad situation all around and I know some bikers are kinda pissed by stuff like this because if gives us such a bad name ...

Sanjuro

If a person voluntarily lays down in the middle of the road then it's on that person, if the person is placed on the middle of the road by other people then he/she's a victim.

...well, yes. That's not either the question I asked or what happened in this particular scenario.

CLEEK

The injured guy was a victim of an accident, but an active part of the mob that caused it. He was a member of a gang of bikers driving criminally, then clearly provoking a terrified SUV driver.

It's not a case that he deserved to be run over, but don't think that he was some innocent bystander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom