• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ releases 17 Mar 2017 for the Switch

"Hey do you want to play a quick round of Binding of Isaac?" is not something I thought I'd ever say in my lifetime, let alone multiple times in the same day with different people.

It makes me think the Switch is even MORE awesome. I've never been so connected to people playing video games and it's wonderful.

My friends are bad tho :>
But they're having fun and learning slowly but surely, I remember when I was that new!

I... don't think I really like this game.

No, that's not right. The game is fun, but I honestly don't think I like the randomness of the items.

I understand that's the appeal of it and I'm sure as I gain the knowledge of each item and potential combos, I'll grow to appreciate the game, but initially I'm having a real tough time making any traction.

That said, whenever I'm not playing, I do find myself thinking about it more than I thought I would.
I was like this for a very long time. I did stick with it, though, and once it clicked it clicked with me forever. You don't have to keep playing, but I support you and your decisions!

"Hey do you want to play a quick round of Binding of Isaac?" is not something I thought I'd ever say in my lifetime, let alone multiple times in the same day with different people.

It makes me think the Switch is even MORE awesome. I've never been so connected to people playing video games and it's wonderful.

My friends are bad tho :>
But they're having fun and learning slowly but surely, I remember when I was that new!

This is why I'm hesitant to do co-op... I feel like my friends can use all the hearts they can get. Unless you think being the baby is easier.

Kinsei

Banned
Why would you want to use purple heart?

For the drops. The purple heart increases the chance of boss challenge rooms to appear (which generally have better items than normal challenge rooms) and increases the chance of champions appearing. On normal mode champions are practically guaranteed to drop an item when killed.

This is my first time playing BoI at all and I'm flat out addicted. So confused half the time though.

What's the donation box for? It upgrades the amount of items a shop can sell, right? And I feel like I remember seeing a video of someone able to get coins out from the donation box, do you need a specific item to do that?

Kinsei

Banned
This is my first time playing BoI at all and I'm flat out addicted. So confused half the time though.

What's the donation box for? It upgrades the amount of items a shop can sell, right? And I feel like I remember seeing a video of someone able to get coins out from the donation box, do you need a specific item to do that?

Yes, the donation box upgrades the shop and unlocks new items. You get the last unlock when you donate 999 coins. You can get coins out of it by bombing it.

Poetaster

Banned
My game crashed at the end of my daily run and now crashes every time I select daily, same as others posted about yesterday. Did those who experience the crash have it go away with the new daily?

My game crashed at the end of my daily run and now crashes every time I select daily, same as others posted about yesterday. Did those who experience the crash have it go away with the new daily?
Yeah. I even had it go away after a few hours. Someone from my friends list had the issue too and I could see their score on the leaderboards, so it definitely registers.

XandBosch

Think I'm going to pick this up after I'm done the Specter of Torment campaign.

On that note, it's sad not to see more people discussing it. It's fucking awesome. Loads better than the Plague Knight campaign. The mechanics are awesome, the story is awesome, etc.

Zekes!

On that note, it's sad not to see more people discussing it. It's fucking awesome. Loads better than the Plague Knight campaign. The mechanics are awesome, the story is awesome, etc.

Really? Cool to hear. I've actually been enjoying Plague of Shadows more than the main campaign, and thought Spectre Knight looked super cool

Been thinking of grabbing BoI...I already got Rebirth on Wii U so the price is kind of ehhhh, but this might be the most optimal way to play (for me). I think I'll wait until I beat all the Shovel Knight campaigns and then play through Blaster Master

XandBosch

Really? Cool to hear. I've actually been enjoying Plague of Shadows more than the main campaign, and thought Spectre Knight looked super cool

Been thinking of grabbing BoI...I already got Rebirth on Wii U so the price is kind of ehhhh, but this might be the most optimal way to play (for me). I think I'll wait until I beat all the Shovel Knight campaigns and then play through Blaster Master

Really?! I found Plague Knight clunky to play in comparison to Shovel Knight, but to each their own. Specter is super cool, can't recommend it enough.

And yeah, agreed that the price is pretty high for what the game seems to be. I've actually never played it (backlogue..) so I can justify it a bit more.

FWIW, I (re)bought it day 1, alongside Zelda and Snipperclips. I just didn't get to play it much, and then Isaac happened. I love SK enough to have rebought it, but BoI is one of my favorite games ever.

This is why I'm hesitant to do co-op... I feel like my friends can use all the hearts they can get. Unless you think being the baby is easier.

The way I see it, it's a matter of
"Is winning more important than playing together?"

To me the answer is a resounding no. I don't care about my streak and I doubt they're in a position to care either. Yeah deaths are common, but it's fun so everyone wins!

So, I live in EU but would love to get BoI right now. I already created a US account, so now my Switch has both a EU and a US account. The EU one is, as you might guess, my primary account. If I buy the game with my US account, can I still play it as my main EU account?

Should I even care about this, though? :p

Kinsei

Banned
Lé Blade Runner;232509078 said:
So, I live in EU but would love to get BoI right now. I already created a US account, so now my Switch has both a EU and a US account. The EU one is, as you might guess, my primary account. If I buy the game with my US account, can I still play it as my main EU account?

Should I even care about this, though? :p

You should be able to play on your main account.

Had a run as blue baby that didn't get a single damage upgrade. I didn't beat the chest. :(

That sucks. I had a BB run today where I got Brimstone on the second floor and I also got a ton of damage ups. It was nice to get the boss rush and Hush out of the way for him. I hope you get similarly lucky soon.

derFeef

Man this game is hard lol. But I enjoy it. Still no idea what I am doing or what an item is and what a powerup is and what is one time use and so on. A little guide would be helpful but discovering is also neat.

Kinsei

Banned
Just fought Delirium for the first time on the Switch version and I'm happy to say that the frame rate stayed rock solid throughout the entire fight.

The way I see it, it's a matter of
"Is winning more important than playing together?"

To me the answer is a resounding no. I don't care about my streak and I doubt they're in a position to care either. Yeah deaths are common, but it's fun so everyone wins!

This post felt good. Thanks :)

I'm gonna take on challenge 32 soon... Magdeline is my favorite character because I'm a noob so I want that sped pill.

PikkonX

Just picked this up yesterday and I haven't been able to get past the 3rd or 4th floor in. I can't believe people are able to just pick this up and have multiple successful playthroughs in one session. Sticking with it though. As someone else mentioned, I do find myself thinking about it when I'm not playing it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So what's the verdict on the Switch version? Anything game-breaking or off compared to the other systems?

_Clash_

Has anyone bought the Switch version (first launch limited edition) on play-asia?
My order still hasn't been shipped and I'm worried that I'll miss the first batch and get a regular edition instead, despite having ordered on March 9th. :(

Same position, same order date. I read they get their stock today/tomorrow

stay strong friend. Hopefully a good result

Nosgotham

Beat
Mom
on my 15th try. It was a great run for me. Unlocked azazel and Lazarus. Came across a lot of cool items too! I think I'm getting a better understanding of the game too. It just gets better with each run.

I'm new to the series

Boogiepop

I... don't think I really like this game.

No, that's not right. The game is fun, but I honestly don't think I like the randomness of the items.

I understand that's the appeal of it and I'm sure as I gain the knowledge of each item and potential combos, I'll grow to appreciate the game, but initially I'm having a real tough time making any traction.

That said, whenever I'm not playing, I do find myself thinking about it more than I thought I would.

I'm kind of sort of on this. The randomness feels like it's way, way too much, and I'm almost starting to wonder if I made a mistake grabbing this, as I let the hype for it cause me to temporarily forget that I'm really not fond of procedurally generated stuff.

I dunno. Beat Mom at least, but I'm really getting stuck on trying to make headway in a second go around, and not liking how much it feels like my runs go at the mercy of a dice roll. Also, I think I straight up hate the random "could help, could screw you over" nature of pills, and have just started avoiding them altogether.

All that said, I'll keep at it, if only out of stubbornness for trying to get my money's worth, and the hope that it'll finally click.

Berordn

So what's the verdict on the Switch version? Anything game-breaking or off compared to the other systems?

Couple bugs, but generally fine. Possibly the best launch the game has seen on any console.

There's some weird slowdown and unusual enemy behaviors, but outright lockups and lose conditions because of them is rare.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm kind of sort of on this. The randomness feels like it's way, way too much, and I'm almost starting to wonder if I made a mistake grabbing this, as I let the hype for it cause me to temporarily forget that I'm really not fond of procedurally generated stuff.

I dunno. Beat Mom at least, but I'm really getting stuck on trying to make headway in a second go around, and not liking how much it feels like my runs go at the mercy of a dice roll. Also, I think I straight up hate the random "could help, could screw you over" nature of pills, and have just started avoiding them altogether.

All that said, I'll keep at it, if only out of stubbornness for trying to get my money's worth, and the hope that it'll finally click.

Skill can make up for a lot of the randomness. You can beat most of the stages without any upgrades (In fact there's a challenge asking you do to just that) once you get good enough.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Dudes! Last night as I was decompressing on the couch after work I
finally got to mom!

Now, I did die pretty quickly but I got her to like half health. It's the little things in life...

Uh... my game just crashed during the credits after beating
The Lamb
for the first time. When I reopen the game, the file select screen shows that I beat it, but because of the crash, I didn't get to see any of the unlocks after the credits. Does that mean they didn't unlock? Did I just waste a run?

mabec

The game on PC saves when you get the achievment and kill the boss, so I dont think you wasted anything. Also, you should be able to see all your unlocks in options

Starting to see why people complain about this expansion. I haven't played since rebirth and there are some bullshit things added. Why are there chests that appear to be normal but spikes pop out when you open them? Doesn't that pretty much fall under the universal DO NOT PUT IN YOUR ROGUELIKE GAME of unavoidable damage? Who thought this was a good idea?

It also seems to me that, coming from rebirth, tinted/special/x rocks are far less common now. I thought the balance was just right before.

tolkir

Has anyone bought the Switch version (first launch limited edition) on play-asia?
My order still hasn't been shipped and I'm worried that I'll miss the first batch and get a regular edition instead, despite having ordered on March 9th. :(

Mine was shipped two days ago. I preordered it on February 06th.

deoee

Starting to see why people complain about this expansion. I haven't played since rebirth and there are some bullshit things added. Why are there chests that appear to be normal but spikes pop out when you open them? Doesn't that pretty much fall under the universal DO NOT PUT IN YOUR ROGUELIKE GAME of unavoidable damage? Who thought this was a good idea?

It also seems to me that, coming from rebirth, tinted/special/x rocks are far less common now. I thought the balance was just right before.

I would like to know how to avoid those chests.

They really seem to be 100% normal.

ryushe

Hmmmm... stick with it! Have you beaten Mom yet/how many times?

When the original Binding of Isaac came out, I thought it was great. It was weeks however before I was able to beat Mom for the first time. After that, they became more frequent. It was a testament to the learning that comes with repeated plays and one of the really special things the game has going for it.

I was like this for a very long time. I did stick with it, though, and once it clicked it clicked with me forever. You don't have to keep playing, but I support you and your decisions!
So, update: after constantly getting my teeth kicked in every single way possible, I finally decided to take a break from the game and play some Zelda. Still thinking about BoI, I turn off Zelda and go back to it after a few minutes. Once I start the game and I'm at the character selection screen, I notice something; I've been playing this game on hard mode for God knows how long...

The reason I was barely getting any health from enemies, why my damage output was so low and the enemies so high and almost never getting any good items (though, to be fair, that might've just been RNG), it all started to make sense now.

After quietly laughing at myself for a few seconds, I start a new run and made it to mom for the first time since I got the game. That said, I still haven't beat her, but now that I'm playing the game on normal, I either always get to her, die on her floor or lose on the floor right before her.

Playing on hard felt like I was training in the Room of Spirit and Time and once I got out, everything was slower and I understood more lol

Just_one

So, update: after constantly getting my teeth kicked in every single way possible, I finally decided to take a break from the game and play some Zelda. Still thinking about BoI, I turn off Zelda and go back to it after a few minutes. Once I start the game and I'm at the character selection screen, I notice something; I've been playing this game on hard mode for God knows how long...

The reason I was barely getting any health from enemies, why my damage output was so low and the enemies so high and almost never getting any good items (though, to be fair, that might've just been RNG), it all started to make sense now.

After quietly laughing at myself for a few seconds, I start a new run and made it to mom for the first time since I got the game. That said, I still haven't beat her, but now that I'm playing the game on normal, I either always get to her, die on her floor or lose on the floor right before her.

Playing on hard felt like I was training in the Room of Spirit and Time and once I got out, everything was slower and I understood more lol

Play Isaac on hard , there are unlockables for hard mode.

Do it so u dont have to play the game twice.

derFeef

I also started on hard by accident, I guess that's what the analogue stick does when you use it in the main menu ;) I was not prepared, lol.

Play Isaac on hard , there are unlockables for hard mode.

Do it so u dont have to play the game twice.

Gah, for me this would not be worth the frustration (at least starting out). I'm also a noob, though.

Beat challenge 32 last night (April Fools). I forget what it was (maybe My Life Savings) but every time I got hit 5-ish coins would appear... meaning 5 random items in this case - at least 2-3 of which were hearts. Easy.

jmartoine

Got my $50 code from Play-Asia finally and got it downloaded.

Just did a couple of runs as Isaac on normal to get the feeling for it again and beat Mom on my third run through luck rather than judgement.

Top Bottom