• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ releases 17 Mar 2017 for the Switch

Berordn

Are the daily challenges the same for all platforms?

I could be mistaken, but I think daily challenges are different for every platform with the exception of the 52 special challenges which take place on set days. Those might still have different seeds per platform.

Hard mode is not really much harder. It only affects heart drop rate and the amount of special enemies. Basically, learning how the enemies work is 90% of the battle.

Hero

Speaking of pills guys, is there any way to ever know what's going on with them all the time?

Like if I get a certain pill in one run and use it to "learn/know' it, the next run if I get the pill again, will it be "discovered/known" before using it or no? I'm always super scared of using pills since some of them screw you over.

Berordn

Speaking of pills guys, is there any way to ever know what's going on with them all the time?

Like if I get a certain pill in one run and use it to "learn/know' it, the next run if I get the pill again, will it be "discovered/known" before using it or no? I'm always super scared of using pills since some of them screw you over.

Pills effects are randomized every run. Some of them can harm your chances yes, but if discover their effects early enough it's easy enough to recover.

Jerry

The pills reset completely between runs, the same colour-way wont have the same effect from run to run.

h0tp0ck3t

No every run it resets

Edit: Doubly beaten

Vlad

I'm kind of sort of on this. The randomness feels like it's way, way too much, and I'm almost starting to wonder if I made a mistake grabbing this, as I let the hype for it cause me to temporarily forget that I'm really not fond of procedurally generated stuff.

I dunno. Beat Mom at least, but I'm really getting stuck on trying to make headway in a second go around, and not liking how much it feels like my runs go at the mercy of a dice roll. Also, I think I straight up hate the random "could help, could screw you over" nature of pills, and have just started avoiding them altogether.

All that said, I'll keep at it, if only out of stubbornness for trying to get my money's worth, and the hope that it'll finally click.

The pills have generally gotten worse the more the game's been expanded. Back in the original game, there weren't that many kinds of pills, so your odds of getting something like a Tears Up, Health Up, or Balls of Steel was much higher. Even getting PhD isn't as useful as it used to be, since it only eliminates the bad pills and leaves the neutral ones, of which there are many.

If you're really bothered by the pills, you can always purchase the Starter Deck item in the shops, which not only lets you hold two cards at once, but replaces all the pills with cards, which tends to be way more useful.

As others have said, a lot of the game comes down to skill, even if you're getting crappy items. There are a few items that are absolutely awful (I'll almost always restart a run if I accidentally pick up Cursed Eye), but for the most part you can work with what you have. A lot of it is just learning how the different enemies move and getting used to dodging them.

pyromaniac and the sticky bomb shots are kind of OP

Oh yeah. Same goes for Pyromaniac and Ipecac.

That's the thing about the randomness. Sure, you can have a run where you're getting nothing but crappy activated items and Range Ups, but there's plenty of times where you luck into absolutely godlike builds that have you destroying everything in sight. The nice thing is that you have to beat the game so many times in order to actually see everything, it never feels cheap to have the occasional insane run now and then.

Lucifon

Is there any useful resource/newbie guide for this game? Feel like I'm just playing runs over and over again, some going better than others, with no real goal or aim. Often barely understand what things are doing or what's going on too.

Is there an overarching progression as you continue to do runs?

deoee

Try Challenge 27 and come back.

i want others to feel my suffering

There is. You can skip around a bit if you do well enough to get certain rooms to spawn after bosses, but the ultimate goal is to keep finishing runs until more content starts opening up.

Before I even attempt ANY Challenges, I need to git gud and kill Mom at least once

Kinsei

Banned
Is there a good "wiki" on this game, like the power-ups and characters' differences etc

Is there any useful resource/newbie guide for this game? Feel like I'm just playing runs over and over again, some going better than others, with no real goal or aim. Often barely understand what things are doing or what's going on too.

Is there an overarching progression as you continue to do runs?

The gamepedia for Isaac is pretty good. http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Binding_of_Isaac:_Rebirth_Wiki

Crash331

I'm not interested in this at all for $40, but I've seen some people post that they can't find it. My Walmart has some in stock if anyone wants to work out a deal I can buy them for you and ship it.

The pills have generally gotten worse the more the game's been expanded. Back in the original game, there weren't that many kinds of pills, so your odds of getting something like a Tears Up, Health Up, or Balls of Steel was much higher. Even getting PhD isn't as useful as it used to be, since it only eliminates the bad pills and leaves the neutral ones, of which there are many.

And their idea of a "neutral" pill has gotten pretty loose over the years, to where stuff that can actually hinder you is considered neutral. Like paralysis and retro vision.

Hero

Pills effects are randomized every run. Some of them can harm your chances yes, but if discover their effects early enough it's easy enough to recover.

The pills reset completely between runs, the same colour-way wont have the same effect from run to run.

No every run it resets

Edit: Doubly beaten

Thanks all. I guess I'll just save pills for when I can minimize their potential damage.

Do you guys recommend using pills vs not using them then?

Ohnonono

Bought this today, I had the Vita version and played a decent amount of it. How different is this version? I never kept track of what version Vita was Vs. PC and such.

Berordn

Bought this today, I had the Vita version and played a decent amount of it. How different is this version? I never kept track of what version Vita was Vs. PC and such.

It's the Vita version with two additional expansions on top, probably comes close to doubling that version's content and adds a new mode as well.

Magwik

Banned
I hope if they ever patch the game they adjust the sensitivity for brimstone/mom's knife type of items so my shots stop flicking in the opposite direction.

Will F

I hope if they ever patch the game they adjust the sensitivity for brimstone/mom's knife type of items so my shots stop flicking in the opposite direction.

Same. Azazel is basically unplayable for me on a pro controller using the right analog stick. His shots end up firing in the opposite direction super often. Never had this problem with him on the PS4 or PC with a 360 controller.

The other characters are fine and I guess I can use the buttons to fire instead of the stick, but it's really sub-optimal for his weapon.

I've looked it up but I still can't quite figure out how to do co-op in this game. I assume you need a second pair of joycons or a pro controller, right?

Thanks all. I guess I'll just save pills for when I can minimize their potential damage.

Do you guys recommend using pills vs not using them then?

Not unless you have PhD or are good enough at the game that losing health or tears won't end a run.

For every Gulp and Tears Up, there's trash pills like I'm Excited and Health Down. Or even Health Up. I've had runs that were hurt by getting Health Up.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I've looked it up but I still can't quite figure out how to do co-op in this game. I assume you need a second pair of joycons or a pro controller, right?
Yeah, from what I've read that seems to be the case. Makes sense I guess. I can't see how you'd do it with one Joy-con.

CzarTim

Same. Azazel is basically unplayable for me on a pro controller using the right analog stick. His shots end up firing in the opposite direction super often. Never had this problem with him on the PS4 or PC with a 360 controller.

The other characters are fine and I guess I can use the buttons to fire instead of the stick, but it's really sub-optimal for his weapon.

Glad someone else has this issue, thought it was my controller.

Tainted

Glad to see Isaac opening up to a wider audience...hope you Switch owners are enjoying it :)

I have clocked close to 700hrs across the original BoI, RB, AB, AB+ and PS4 version...probably in the top 5 of my most favorite games ever

Top Bottom