• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ releases 17 Mar 2017 for the Switch

Berordn

I had a run last night with Azazel and Ludovico Technique last night that felt pretty much like god mode. Massive controllable donut of death, mom's heart was a cake walk. Slightly disappointed really as it felt a bit like cheating.

I actually had the same run last night, but also with Spoon Bender.

I almost felt bad as I watched the ring contort itself to murder Satan.

SCB3

Never played Skyrim but I agree with the general sentiment. BoI, Spelunky, and FTL are the cream of the rogue-lite crop IMO and I'll buy them on anything. I've played a lot of other good ones but nothing is close to their level.

Rogue Legacy and maybe Crypt of the Necrodancer can also be added to that list

If anyone wants the physical copy with the instruction book and stickers, I've decided to go digital so I'm selling my copy.

$35 via PayPal shipped, I'll also accept eShop credit. PM me!

XaosWolf

Dammit. Ordered a physical copy from an Amazon seller who shipped internationally, then cancelled it as I though "nah digital will do fine cos I don't like it THAT much"...

...and now I'm hooked and want the physical version again.

And that Amazon seller is gone. =/

EDIT: Thread didn't update. Will PM though.

derFeef

I am so bad at this lol, but it's fun even just 2 stages in, hahaha.
Should I just re-run seeds if I do better one time? I just do a fresh start every time.

Kinsei

Banned
Sheol
is the level with
Satan
correct? And how do I get to the
Cathedral
??

Yes
Sheol
is the level with
Satan.

I take it you reached it by
getting a deal with the devil after fighting Mom's Heart? Then to get to the Cathedral you need to get a deal with the angels after beating Mom's Heart.
You can also reach those levels
by beating Mom's Heart 11 times. After that portals to both levels will appear instead of the ending chest.

deadfolk

Slightly OT, but if you are creating a US account to grab this game, where do you enter your address? My US account page on accounts.nintendo.com doesn't seem to have a place for address, only region.

jmartoine

Slightly OT, but if you are creating a US account to grab this game, where do you enter your address? My US account page on accounts.nintendo.com doesn't seem to have a place for address, only region.

Didn't need to enter an address for the US account to grab the game.

Made an account and set US as the region, opened the eShop and added the credit and then bought the game. Only had to add a zip code so it could calculate sales tax and for that I just used Alaska.

deadfolk

Didn't need to enter an address for the US account to grab the game.

Made an account and set US as the region, opened the eShop and added the credit and then bought the game. Only had to add a zip code so it could calculate sales tax and for that I just used Alaska.

Where did you add the zip? On the Switch itself?

Glad to see Isaac opening up to a wider audience...hope you Switch owners are enjoying it :)

I have clocked close to 700hrs across the original BoI, RB, AB, AB+ and PS4 version...probably in the top 5 of my most favorite games ever

I'm the same but I'll say this.

The switch is the definite place to play it. It's smooth as silk

Having a blast but got a crash in the end of the daily challenge... And now it crashes when I go into daily. Will this stay or will it go away for tomorrow's challenge?

How do you play multiplayer on this? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it working. I'm trying to test it out in tabletop mode, but it won't recognize each Joy-Con separately.

JGCD

Neo Member
How do you play multiplayer on this? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it working. I'm trying to test it out in tabletop mode, but it won't recognize each Joy-Con separately.
I think you have to do the joy con separation at the main menu of the system before the game

Yeah it will fix itself after a while...

Ahh ok lol, I dont have much time to play so was scared I was going to lose one of my favorite parts of the game.
Though I am yet to beat the game... I only make it to second to last room on normal then get RNGed in some room and die.
With challenge mode I get some nice variety out of it since I cant seem to unlock anything :D

Whoa, I had no idea an item like the potato peeler existed. All of a sudden, Super Meat Boy seems much more doable.

I remember exploiting the original Rebirth to nearly breaking it to get these two with Monster Manual.

I beat mom for first time this morning. This games brilliance is quickly showing a day after I first played it. Gonna try out these challenges and remain patient with it.

Vlad

Wait, have I've been missing out because I'm not bombing the tinted rocks? I just did a few and I'm getting a lot of loot.

Yeah, they're a great source of spirit hearts, and there's also a good damage-boosting item you can get from them, too. If I've got limited bombs, I'll almost always go for tinted rocks before the hidden rooms.

mstevens

Has anyone else had issues with the screen size not fitting in TV mode? I'm missing a little bit of the UI, but can't seem to find any settings to adjust it.

Berordn

Hold up! There's multiplayer on this!?

How could I not know this?

It's half-baked, but there is drop-in multiplayer when multiple controllers are available.

Just push +/- on a controller not in use and it'll steal a heart container to let a player controlled baby spawn.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there a good getting started guide to this game? I'm so confused. Runs are either hot garbage or legit good, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I assumed items would be named and not ??? after using them in a previous run. Also items appearing in spots I can't access, spike doors, empty rooms with nothing but silver blocks and rocks, early shops that cost more money than I could possibly acquire by that point in the run, notifications that something has appeared in the basement, etc.

I love this game, but I feel like I'm just sort of bashing my head against a brick wall. The game is perfect for quick Switch play, so I really want to "understand" what's going on so I can maximize my enjoyment!

Whoa, I had no idea an item like the potato peeler existed. All of a sudden, Super Meat Boy seems much more doable.

I remember exploiting the original Rebirth to nearly breaking it to get these two with Monster Manual.

Yea, that made that achievement easy

Those two achievements are trivial using Lilith, who can clone her familiars for one room. Get a few batteries in a room and you can easily get the achievements for both Meat Boy and Bandage Girl.

Vlad

Is there a good getting started guide to this game? I'm so confused.

That's part of the BoI experience. We all went through it. There's wikis out there that tell you what everything does, but it's really more fun to experiment and learn through playing through the game a few times.

Runs are either hot garbage or legit good

Again, par for the course for the game. Sometimes you'll have an absolutely garbage run, but those are all the more satisfying when you manage to do something marginally productive in them anyway. Sometimes you'll have runs where you're so ridiculously overpowered that you're clearing every single room less than a second after entering it, including bosses. Those runs are all the more satisfying due to all the crap runs you've had to suffer through.

I assumed items would be named and not ??? after using them in a previous run.

Those are pills, and that's just how pills work in this game. They get reset and reshuffled every run, so you have to learn what they do every time.

Also items appearing in spots I can't access

There are ways to get at these, which you'll discover in time. Of course, there's also going to be times where you see a really good item in an area you can't get to, and you don't have anything at your disposal that will let you get at it. Consider those times a lesson on how to accept the things you can't change.

early shops that cost more money than I could possibly acquire by that point in the run,

The most anything will cost in a shop is 15 coins. So, if you don't have 15 coins yet, it's often not worth it to waste the key going into the shop. Sometimes you'll have a lot of money early on, sometimes you won't. The fun of randomly generated games.

notifications that something has appeared in the basement

Those mean that a new item has been added to the item pool that the game spawns stuff in from.

I love this game, but I feel like I'm just sort of bashing my head against a brick wall. The game is perfect for quick Switch play, so I really want to "understand" what's going on so I can maximize my enjoyment!

Keep at it for a little bit. At first, just approach it like a twin-stick shooter and just work your way through the levels. The best advice I can give you at the start is to just fully explore every level, and prioritize getting into the rooms with the golden doors. There's one of those per floor, and from the second floor on, you need a key to get into one. If you've only got one key, save it for that room.

Paid a bit more for it as I imported and didn't preorder but I'm glad to finally have Isaac in physical form!

C77ScRiXQAASdcK.jpg

Has anyone else had issues with the screen size not fitting in TV mode? I'm missing a little bit of the UI, but can't seem to find any settings to adjust it.

Have you tried adjusting the screen size in the system settings on the main switch menu? Initially I had that problem as well.

Haunted

I really really wish AB+ had the co-op mode of Antibirth (two full player characters with their own items and builds) instead of the "helper" mode it has now.

It's nice that it's easier to get a powerful familiar now, but I don't recall whether getting the full Meat Boy/Bandage Girl unlocked anything in the other versions of the game aside from that achievement. No achievements on the Switch version.

Berordn

I really really wish AB+ had the co-op mode of Antibirth (two full player characters with their own items and builds) instead of the "helper" mode it has now.

It's nice that it's easier to get a powerful familiar now, but I don't recall whether getting the full Meat Boy/Bandage Girl unlocked anything in the other versions of the game aside from that achievement. No achievements on the Switch version.

I think you need them for full completion even on the Switch version since they pop up as secrets still.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Thanks for this.

One main question I have after all that - what is "meaningful progress" in a run? I don't seem to unlock anything by getting to the 3rd floor or whatever, so I'm curious what I should be doing to work towards global progress of...Something?

dissa9

Neo Member
Bomber boy + No. 2 is ridiculously powerful. This game is fantastic.

No. 2 is my favourite item so far, helped me beat satan for the first time as it enabled me to find all the secret rooms and blow up all the tainted rocks. Unlimited bombs are a god send in this game, I was so over powered by the end.

I went down the "one more game" rabbit hole last night and finally unlocked a few characters and a shop upgrade. Part of me is glad I got the physical copy because if I had the option to play it at any time then I don't know when I'd get back to Zelda.

If you want more common and easier to use unlimited bombs than No 2, and don't mind a hard challenge, the Blue Bomber challenge unlocks Gold Bombs, which are unlimited bombs for one floor. And they're pretty common, you'll generally see one or two of them every run.

But Blue Bomber is kind of a rough challenge.

There's a new item on the PC version that makes Gold Bombs kind of hilarious to use since it removes the bomb drop speed cap. I think that item is coming to the Switch... eventually

Berordn

Thanks for this.

One main question I have after all that - what is "meaningful progress" in a run? I don't seem to unlock anything by getting to the 3rd floor or whatever, so I'm curious what I should be doing to work towards global progress of...Something?

Ultimately as you keep beating floors and end bosses stuff will start to open up. The beauty of the game is that the progression we keep speaking of just happens as you play.

There are a couple secrets that you might need outside help on (unlocking secret characters and certain items), but the majority of the content will just open up in time.

Top Bottom