• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ releases 17 Mar 2017 for the Switch

dissa9

Neo Member
If you want more common and easier to use unlimited bombs than No 2, and don't mind a hard challenge, the Blue Bomber challenge unlocks Gold Bombs, which are unlimited bombs for one floor. And they're pretty common, you'll generally see one or two of them every run.

But Blue Bomber is kind of a rough challenge.

There's a new item on the PC version that makes Gold Bombs kind of hilarious to use since it removes the bomb drop speed cap. I think that item is coming to the Switch... eventually

Nice, sounds like something worth trying.

I went down the "one more game" rabbit hole last night and finally unlocked a few characters and a shop upgrade. Part of me is glad I got the physical copy because if I had the option to play it at any time then I don't know when I'd get back to Zelda.

That's me in a nutshell. I say to myself "I'll do 1 run of BoI then I'll play Zelda" and before I know it im out of game time and zelda hasn't been touched.

Game is good.

Again, par for the course for the game. Sometimes you'll have an absolutely garbage run, but those are all the more satisfying when you manage to do something marginally productive in them anyway.

The thing is, you can salvage (some) bad runs as you learn the systems. Sacrifice hearts at the spikes. Use the dice rooms to randomize your build. Gamble on pills, or slot machines. Start buying out the shop, or bombing it for coins. There are a lot of weird systems that may be weighted towards you on a given run and as long as you're not running a time trial, it's possible to take that extra time to minmax your run. :)

(Sometimes it's going to be awful, of course, that is the nature of RNG, but they do offer a lot of possibilities to break out)

The thing is, you can salvage (some) bad runs as you learn the systems. Sacrifice hearts at the spikes. Use the dice rooms to randomize your build. Gamble on pills, or slot machines. Start buying out the shop, or bombing it for coins. There are a lot of weird systems that may be weighted towards you on a given run and as long as you're not running a time trial, it's possible to take that extra time to minmax your run. :)

(Sometimes it's going to be awful, of course, that is the nature of RNG, but they do offer a lot of possibilities to break out)
Just last night had a run where RNG was awful (on the PC version, but it's the same game other than a tiny handful of items added last week)

3.5 Damage start on Eden, not terrible. Brother Bobby and Satanic Bible starting items. Overall a decent start.

First damage upgrade was not until Womb I Devil Room with Abaddon. I had a string of about 3 floors where every item I found was an active I didn't want. Plus lots of HP upgrades (no Potato Peeler in sight though). Even the Devil Deals were things I didn't need like Necronomicon and Sister Maggie.

Somehow managed to pull out a win, but it was a rough run. I was literally using Satanic Bible + Habit as a way to clear rooms lol. Womb II I found Twisted Horn and Steven in the same combat room. And from there I was sitting pretty on damage. Womb II Devil Deal was Pact and Pentagram and then the run was just out of control. Joker on Cathedral got me Brimstone and it was just comical at that point. I finally got to breath a little after that.

Then the next Eden run the game throws Spun at me (via Speed Ball, Growth Hormones and Euthanasia, so pretty much the best possible items for Spun) by the second floor and Guppy by the fourth floor and the entire run takes a half hour. I don't even remember what my starting items were, I think it was like Lucky Foot and some dumb active I dumped near instantly.

And that's part of the fun of the game.

Has anybody else been having issues with this game crashing? I've been playing the physical version since it released, but just today I ran into a problem.

I had just completed the Daily Run, when the game crashed and I had to go back to the Switch home screen. Now, each time I go back into the game and try to go to the Daily Run screen, it crashes immediately.

Anybody with the same problem? Any fixes?

Cru Jones

Has anybody else been having issues with this game crashing? I've been playing the physical version since it released, but just today I ran into a problem.

I had just completed the Daily Run, when the game crashed and I had to go back to the Switch home screen. Now, each time I go back into the game and try to go to the Daily Run screen, it crashes immediately.

Anybody with the same problem? Any fixes?

Mine crashes when loading the leaderboard. I can still access the daily runs though

I'm beginning to get lightly hooked on this game, though I'm still not sure I totally get it. I'm a fan of roguelikes/roguelites, so I'm an easy sell. But I don't think I fully understand the mechanics.

Some questions:

1. I unlocked Azazel and Lazarus within my first couple of runs and I have no idea what triggered it. I guess I could look it up. Anyway, what character should I be going for next? Is anyone particularly good or fun?

2. I beat Mom for the first time. How does that change the structure of the game? I imagine that my next run will be longer/different?

3. There seem to be gazillions of items -- more than I could realistically memorize. So, as a result, i just indiscriminately take all items/powerups, without any real concern for how they interact with each other or whether they're good/bad. Am I doing it wrong? Am I really supposed to memorize everything? Or should I be using a guide? (Sad.)

4. Also, what's a "seed"?

David___

Banned
Some questions:

1. I unlocked Azazel and Lazarus within my first couple of runs and I have no idea what triggered it. I guess I could look it up. Anyway, what character should I be going for next? Is anyone particularly good or fun?
Until you unlock all the paths it doesnt matter much who you pick. Azazel is a good character if you just want to relax since he does a lot of damage by himself.

2. I beat Mom for the first time. How does that change the structure of the game? I imagine that my next run will be longer/different?
Beating Mom unlocks
the Womb/Utero
as the new end path until you beat
Moms Heart
a handful of times.

3. There seem to be gazillions of items -- more than I could realistically memorize. So, as a result, i just indiscriminately take all items/powerups, without any real concern for how they interact with each other or whether they're good/bad. Am I doing it wrong? Am I really supposed to memorize everything? Or should I be using a guide? (Sad.)
I personally think the best way to play starting out is to learn what each item does individually with no guide at all, that way you won't need a guide in the future.

4. Also, what's a "seed"?
When you pause the game you see a random assortment of letters and numbers. That's the seed the game generated for you to play in for that run.

Until you unlock all the paths it doesnt matter much who you pick. Azazel is a good character if you just want to relax since he does a lot of damage by himself.

Interesting. Thanks.

Beating Mom unlocks
the Womb/Utero
as the new end path until you beat
Moms Heart
a handful of times.

Gotcha. Do I have to do anything to play
the Womb/Utero
? Or is that automatically tacked on when i start a new run?

When you pause the game you see a random assortment of letters and numbers. That's the seed the game generated for you to play in for that run.

OK, that makes sense. So, when the game gives me the option of entering a seed, I could enter a seed from a past game (or a number someone's posted online), I take it? So if I come across a generated run that seems good/beneficial/fortunate, I should write it down and play it later again? Or something?

David___

Banned
Gotcha. Do I have to do anything to play
the Womb/Utero
? Or is that automatically tacked on when i start a new run?
It's automatically tacked on at the end of the Mom fight.

OK, that makes sense. So, when the game gives me the option of entering a seed, I could enter a seed from a past game (or a number someone's posted online), I take it? So if I come across a generated run that seems good/beneficial/fortunate, I should write it down and play it later again? Or something?
Tbh, unless you're racing someone else there's little use for seeds unless you want to tryout very specific item combos( like Libra and Soy Milk) since you can't unlock anything during a run you used a seed on. So its up to you on what you want to do with them

Tendo

I accidentally set it to hard this weekend and was confused why i was suddenly struggling so much. Back to my normal level of awfulness on normal.

ajjow

I dont understand this game.

What items do i unlock ?!

Whats the benefit of unlocking items?!

I always die the level before mom

Berordn

I dont understand this game.

What items do i unlock ?!

Whats the benefit of unlocking items?!

I always die the level before mom

Unlocking items adds them to their respective itempool. You don't get them when the pop-up appears, just unlock the chance of them appearing.

There's some junk that you get from having a larger item pool, but most of the unlockable items are great or synergize well with other items.

valouris

Are there any news on when this is arriving on the EU eshop? I don't feel like doing digital region shenanigans when it comes to Nintendo..

SeanR1221

Co-op babies:
Beat Mom's Heart on hard with each character

Godhead:
Complete The Lost's sticky note on hard

More co-op babies:
Complete every characters sticky note on hard.

Oh wow. Looks like I'm sticking with normal for a long time!

Isaac is a brilliant game but I think I would honestly enjoy it more if there wasn't poo everywhere aha. I'm all for the gore and twisted monsters but the poo is just hard to look at and isn't appealing. Brilliant gameplay though.

Tyrone from Nicalis mentioned last week that there would also be a physical release herw in Europe. Hope we will get more news about it soon.

Link_enfant

Play-asia finally shipped my game today. Is there still a chance that it's the launch edition with the additional bonuses? Or will I get a regular edition?
It doesn't seem they received a new stock between my order on March 9 and today so I'm quite optimistic but well...

I'm not sure we'll get those launch edition bonuses in the Europe physical edition sadly, but who knows!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Play-asia finally shipped my game today. Is there still a chance that it's the launch edition with the additional bonuses? Or will I get a regular edition?
It doesn't seem they received a new stock between my order on March 9 and today so I'm quite optimistic but well...

I'm not sure we'll get those launch edition bonuses in the Europe physical edition sadly, but who knows!

I thought none of the PA copies were launch editions.

Deja

Wow, this game is fantastic! I played it very briefly on PS4 at my friends' house, but this is the first time I've bought and owned it.

Got the game yesterday on import from Casey_Contra and decided to boot it up when I got home.

First run was a nightmare, rubbish items and getting used to the mechanics. Housemate and I were playing "pass the controller" and doing either a floor or a life each. We got through about 9 runs and twice made it to the second to last floor, but died as we had basically no hearts, but were a walking kill machine.

After 11 runs, we got good RNG, electric tears, tears up, damage up and a couple of other cool modifiers and blue hearts. Finally made it to Mom and beat her first try, but wow is that boss fight annoying. Ended the battle with one heart!

This game is unbelievably addictive. We saw each other this morning before work and he turned to me and said: "more runs tonight?".

One question I have: as a standard is it normal to not be able to shoot diagonally? I really don't remember from the couple of games I had on PS4.

Haunted

Really happy with my purchase on Switch, great palette cleanser to prevent me from burning through/out on Zelda, and having Isaac available on my (since changing jobs, substantial) commute is just awesome.

One question I have: as a standard is it normal to not be able to shoot diagonally? I really don't remember from the couple of games I had on PS4.
There's 4-way shooting, so no diagonals per se. BUT momentum does effect your bullets, so moving perpendicular to where your shots go does give them a slight diagonal trajectory. Definitely a move to be mastered, really useful.

Deja

Excellent, cheers Haunted!

Really can't believe how fast 5 hours flew by last night playing this. Looking at my phone after the run where we beat it and realising it was close to midnight was quite funny.

There's a bug on the PC version right now (and apparently the Switch version) which makes it impossible to 100% the game. Beating the boss, Lokii, (the red demon that is cut into two) is supposed to unlock an item called Loki's Horns, but it currently doesn't. Loki's Horns are required to unlock one challenge, and obviously are needed to be picked up to get all the items.

Oh boy, I hadn't realized how much Teleport 2.0 can break the game. By pure chance, I understood how it works (teleporting you to an unexplored room), so I got like 5 or 6 "I am error" rooms in one run, and even finished
The Chest
before I even got my first
Polaroid
piece.

I thought that run was dead when I got The Wiz on floor 3, but I got the analog stick on the next floor, which efficiently negates it.

Haunted

Ok, whoever thought Jacob's Ladder would be a balanced item as it is in the game right now is crazy.

I also want to buy them a drink, because it's fucking awesome. xD

jonno394

I asked in the afterbirth + thread but noone replied... Is this game harder than vanilla rebirth? I'm really struggling to get a finished run, yet when i went back to rebirth on my ps4 i did a mom's heart run first time.

Enemies just seem more bullet spongey.

Socreges

Banned
Interested in getting this but it's a bit pricey for a blind buy

- Is it a good pick up and play game? ie, for 10 min installments?
- Does co-op work well with the joycons?
- Is co-op fun for non-hardcore gamers?

I'm tempted to get a physical copy but it seems like a good digital game to have at the ready

Haunted

I asked in the afterbirth + thread but noone replied... Is this game harder than vanilla rebirth? I'm really struggling to get a finished run, yet when i went back to rebirth on my ps4 i did a mom's heart run first time.

Enemies just seem more bullet spongey.
I think it's a tough game, but not substantially moreso compared to Rebirth. If you can finish a run in one you should be able to in the other.

packy34

Interested in getting this but it's a bit pricey for a blind buy

- Is it a good pick up and play game? ie, for 10 min installments?
- Does co-op work well with the joycons?
- Is co-op fun for non-hardcore gamers?

I'm tempted to get a physical copy but it seems like a good digital game to have at the ready

At first, your runs might last 10-ish minutes. As you get better at the game and unlock more of it, a single winning run can take around 45 minutes.

Haven't tried co-op on Switch yet, but BOI multiplayer isn't exactly the greatest to begin with... Only one player can use a character, while the other is relegated to using a follower/familiar that can't pick up items. I think this is due to how the game was designed and balanced, but it still kind of sucks.

Top Bottom