• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ releases 17 Mar 2017 for the Switch

Haunted

At first, your runs might last 10-ish minutes. As you get better at the game and unlock more of it, a single winning run can take around 45 minutes.

Haven't tried co-op on Switch yet, but BOI multiplayer isn't exactly the greatest to begin with... Only one player can use a character, while the other is relegated to using a follower/familiar that can't pick up items. I think this is due to how the game was designed and balanced, but it still kind of sucks.
coop is almost a misnomer, it's more like helper mode. Similar to Mario Galaxy, where a second player can interact and help, but there's still one Mario, one clear main player.

Antibirth (the Rebirth mod on PC) does it right, with 2 fully playable characters all with their own stats and item sets. Wish Edmund and Tyrone would implement such a full coop system in AB+!

coop is almost a misnomer, it's more like helper mode. Similar to Mario Galaxy, where a second player can interact and help, but there's still one Mario, one clear main player.

Antibirth (the Rebirth mod on PC) does it right, with 2 fully playable characters all with their own stats and item sets. Wish Edmund and Tyrone would implement such a full coop system in AB+!

Tyrone has talked about this, said it was fully running but scrapped b/c it does not fit the story. There is only one Issac.

jonno394

I think it's a tough game, but not substantially moreso compared to Rebirth. If you can finish a run in one you should be able to in the other.

Tried tonight, still no luck, man this is annoying lol but i'll keep at it. At an attack level of 5 why the hell of basic enemies still taking 4 hits to kill

Tried tonight, still no luck, man this is annoying lol but i'll keep at it. At an attack level of 5 why the hell of basic enemies still taking 4 hits to kill
Are you playing on Hard mode by chance? I was playing least night with an attack level around there and breezed through the game, but I was playing on normal mode.

David___

Banned
The further you go down the more hp mobs get. Check the bestiary to see the hp of the different mobs.

Are you playing on Hard mode by chance? I was playing least night with an attack level around there and breezed through the game, but I was playing on normal mode.
Hard mode dorsnt affect mob hp, just floor length, curse chance and drop chance

Seik

Banned
I'm shit at this game, yet I keep coming at it, hoping for a good run. :lol

Worst in this is that I'm playing Normal and once I reach Cave/Cave II, I get my ass handed to me in some way, it's the enemies or some 'upgrade' that fucks up the way I shoot tears that messes everything up.

One day I'll fucking beat it.

jonno394

Nah, sure it's normal. I unlocked pretty much all characters in rebirth and beat
Satan
several times before i called it a day, so it's not like I'm rubbish at the game. I just can't seem to find the groove with this. Struggling to make it through floors without taking damage either.

Got to mom yesterday with one heart and failed miserably!

Poppyseed

This is the only game that I can honestly say that I've purchased 4 times at full price + DLC.

I've lost track how many times I've bought this game. The Switch version is my favorite, though, by virtue of it being on a handheld and looking good!

Nicalis have tweeted about EU news.

Our pals at @HeadupGames have some fun news for our EU friends on Monday. Have great a great weekend!

1U8aEtO.jpg

deadfolk

Potentially good news, I guess, but they've missed the opportunity to score some sales while there wasn't a whole lot more to buy.

I personally would have gotten it if it had come or at the same time as NA, but there's too much else vying for my money now.

Magwik

Banned
I found it interesting how much of a difference the booster pack made when doing yesterday's daily on PC vs Switch. A handful of items changes a lot of the run.

Link_enfant

Play-asia order received this morning, and as I expected it's just a regular edition without the stickers and manual. :(
I'll see if I sell it in the end, I just hope that we get at least the same launch edition bonuses for the EU release, which I won't miss this time. I really shouldn't have hesitated when the US launch edition was still available on Amazon :(

Tendo

I have had isaac for years but finally diving in on the switch version. I just completed the April Fool's challenge after about 2.5 hours of attempts. I know you guys blaze through that stuff but man, finally learning bloat's patterns and building an army of gold hearts the last few floor felt awesome to blast through!

antonz

We have a bunch of unsold copies of this game at Best Buy...don't think it's as popular as you think.

Its popular enough Nicalis is spending the money on a 2nd shipment. So enough of the first shipment sold that they feel its a worthwhile investment.

Adamator

I've been thinking about picking this up on Switch but i not sure I will like the game. I have never played the game before in any form. I love the tie-ins to Zelda but don't particularly like hard games. This game does have an intriguing story and I love a good story.

Ugh. Just wish I knew what to do! My local Best Buy still has some Launch copies. Thinking I better grab one while I can.

Is anyone else playing it for the first time on Switch? If so, are you liking it?

styl3s

We have a bunch of unsold copies of this game at Best Buy...don't think it's as popular as you think.
My Best Buy also has Switches in-stock i guess they should just stop making them since it's not popular.

Binding of Isaac was never a super limited run and considering he doesn't have the backing of a making publisher it would make no sense to produce more unless they are selling enough to warrant it which they are.

gnomed

My Best Buy also has Switches in-stock i guess they should just stop making them since it's not popular.

Binding of Isaac was never a super limited run and considering he doesn't have the backing of a making publisher it would make no sense to produce more unless they are selling enough to warrant it which they are.
Not sure on the retail front, but the game has been consistently sold out every weekend on Amazon. I had to wait for the second batch of fulfillments to get my copy and discount.

Ed McMillen has tweeed saying once the second batch sells out that's it for retail.

2nd edition has no extras and an alt cover, once it's sold out it won't be reprinted anywhere.

Has an alternate cover, which dare I say I actually like more. From another tweet this looks like it will be the EU cover also.

AEPIFAK.jpg

I've been thinking about picking this up on Switch but i not sure I will like the game. I have never played the game before in any form. I love the tie-ins to Zelda but don't particularly like hard games. This game does have an intriguing story and I love a good story.

Ugh. Just wish I knew what to do! My local Best Buy still has some Launch copies. Thinking I better grab one while I can.

Is anyone else playing it for the first time on Switch? If so, are you liking it?

I would say go for it, even if you don't like it the first print will retain its value, so you can always sell it on later.

What I would say is give it time if it doesn't click immediately, it didn't originally click for me on PC. I ended up putting around 100 hours into that version with more on vita, so far about 10 hours on switch.

RockmanBN

Ed McMillen has tweeed saying once the second batch sells out that's it for retail.

Has an alternate cover, which dare I say I actually like more. From another tweet this looks like it will be the EU cover also.

It's great that this is selling well for the Switch. Also, I'm liking that cover looks like a cover that they thought looked cool instead of a cover that has the most mass appeal.

Adamator

I would say go for it, even if you don't like it the first print will retain its value, so you can always sell it on later.

What I would say is give it time if it doesn't click immediately, it didn't originally click for me on PC. I ended up putting around 100 hours into that version with more on vita, so far about 10 hours on switch.

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. A big part of it was knowing I can get the launch day edition. I have it scheduled for in store pick up and will be getting it in the morning. :)

Persona7

Banned
Most online retailers have had it in stock since launch too. The only one that ran out was amazon but probably because of the prime benefits.

Explosive diarrhea probably.

I don't think Explosive Diarrhea changes based on your bomb type. And besides, he already is holding a pill and doesn't have an item that lets him hold two pills, since his character sprite is base Isaac.

It's a weird screenshot if you dig into it and try to figure out the scenario in which the picture came to exist.

AoM

I don't think Explosive Diarrhea changes based on your bomb type. And besides, he already is holding a pill and doesn't have an item that lets him hold two pills, since his character sprite is base Isaac.

It's a weird screenshot if you dig into it and try to figure out the scenario in which the picture came to exist.

Yeah, I'm really not sure now.

dcassell

Banned
Wow, I had a lose streak of 8 until I got the build I did this run. Azazel + brimstone + Ludovico Technique + Whore of Babylon with no red hearts. Max damage, huge red circle of death surrounding me. Killed Mom's heart in seconds. Still need some more runs to unlock the true end though...

//ARCANUM

This might seem super petty, but I'm kinda bummed about the 2nd printing art change. I like the new art a lot better than the first print :/.

Top Bottom