• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played ratchet and clank for 4 straight hours on a PS4 pro connected to an OLED screen. So this marks my return to gaming in full. It was too good

I just don't get it. Boogie been wanting out since you fucking drafted him and the best you get is Buddy Heild and a 2017 high lottery pick along with some coke cans?

That's it?

How are the Kings SO INEPT? How is it that no matter what they do or who they hire, they manage to be this bad?

I now understand why Coach Karl said "nope, I'm out"

zeemumu

Finally getting around to reading The Infinity Gauntlet. I'm laughing at how hard Thanos is trying to win Death over knowing that Deadpool will eventually come in and be like "Hey girl"

Is she gonna be in the movie, by the way?

LionPride

Banned
I just don't get it. Boogie been wanting out since you fucking drafted him and the best you get is Buddy Heild and a 2017 high lottery pick along with some coke cans?

That's it?

How are the Kings SO INEPT? How is it that no matter what they do or who they hire, they manage to be this bad?

I thought the Magic were the worst run team...I am wrong

Finally getting around to reading The Infinity Gauntlet. I'm laughing at how hard Thanos is trying to win Death over knowing that Deadpool will eventually come in and be like "Hey girl"

Nobody knows. It would be stupid if she wasn't, though.

AJLma

I nominate 'I remember you' for the wall, Dreamy. I'm screamin over here. Considering all the alts who walked in this thread, i think we need this.

I, for the life of me, can't understand people who ignore Obamacare's impact on poor people. How? It has his fucking name on it. Poor people are less likely to go into debt because of Obamacare. It's undisputed fact. How is that not a win for poor people?

Considering racists response to Obamacare, we have to know he's done more for poor people than that phone program. Just because it doesn't work for you says nothing about the impact on other people. Expanding Medicare?

Pointing out Obama phones whole ignoring everything else is kinda fox news ish. I think he's a great president with flaws and a lot of opposition but this sounds like a terrible argument.

How about creating the consumer financial protection bureau?. Would that count in a detailed examination of his record? His leadership on the economy somehow missed black people? Wasn't black unemployment in the high 20's when he first started and now it's in the low teens? Or is this an argument that systematic racism is small now and Obama just failed to push the 'turn around 400 years of racism' button? His leadership on justice? We ain't never seen a justice department like holder's and won't see it for awhile. Yeah, they wiffed on wall street but hit some high notes on Ferguson and racial justice in a system covered in systemic racism and no national police force.

This ain't a love letter to Obama. But i can't cosign people who ignore the power of the presidency when half the legislature and a good chunk of the country was against him and did their best to oppose him. He was left with executive orders for the last few years and he still made an impact.

Btw, lots of people believe climate change will hurt the poor first and he led pretty well with that. Made us energy independent. And a lot of black people celebrated his stance on LGBT rights. I don't know the data but i assume that also means poor people. Talk about marginalized. Yeah, a lot of what he did didn't have a sticker that said 'I'm black and I'm proud' but that is not the same as 'he did nothing' for poor people. Dude is one of the most compassionate politicians you'll ever see and he's not given enough credit from both sides.

I appreciate this. I like to learn what I don't know, and don't take offense at the personal insults, as long as you're not insulting black history with ignorance. So put me on the wall if you want. I'll laugh, it was a funny jab.

I completely forgot about the Consumer Protection measures. You're right about that. I would say the phones are more significant, he probably got people tons of jobs with that one alone. Plus I personally know a LOT of people who actually benefited from those phones.

As far as racists response to Obamacare. They're just mad because his name's on it. I've seen the responses to the GOP threats to repeal it, and it will be missed by many. Is it really a national solution to poor Americans health problems though? Plenty of people still can't afford it, and they'll be penalized $600 for not ponying up their $80-$160 a month.

He also did lead on climate change, that's a major step that any humanitarian President should have pursued. The GOP is behaving pretty anti-humanitarian right now, that's the only reason this can really be listed.

The Justice Dept stuff though... nah... maybe his hands were truly tied with this one, but I just can't give him any props here. A punchline dedicated to Trayvon isn't enough in my opinion.

And his overall effect on the poor... just my personal experience living in and rolling through poor neighborhoods over the past 8 years... I can't give him that either. These places are crumbling and tenants are being exploited like crazy by abusive landlords with constantly rising rent prices.

Didn't do your research for one. Obamacare aside, subsidized phones aren't the only thing Obama did in favour of struggling citizens.

Let me help you with just a couple things from his first term alone:

1. Safety Net Expansion
  2. Extensions of Unemployment Benefits
  3. The Hardest Hit Fund

You can argue that these weren't substantial, but outside of the last point, millions were helped, a good portion even kept above the poverty line because of these policies. Even in that case, over 800k were. It's precisely this level of misinformation, that Obama did nothing but one failed thing for impoverished America, that's problematic with political discussions here. We can't overlook the fact that his 2nd term didn't allow him to do as he pleased since he wasn't dealt Democratic control of the Houses like his 1st.

What would he have done? No matter what he would have said, we'd have been SOL, and it shows in the last month alone

Appreciate this too, I didn't say the phones were a failure. I think they were a success. Obamacare is middling, a good deal won't be turned down even by a racist. I'm not convinced that Obamacare is a good deal, especially the Tax Penalty part for those who can't afford it. I think if Obamacare were a resounding success it just wouldn't be talked about. It has a large number of flaws, so it's under attack.

[*]Safety Net Expansion
[*]Extensions of Unemployment Benefits
[*]The Hardest Hit Fund

Measures to get us out of the recession, the effects these had on the poor are over my head right now and would take a hours to research. Yea, overall Obama was a great American president. Who got most of this money though from the "Stimulus" actions he took in his first term? Black pockets? If it is black people in power who got this, where are they at? Maybe my family and I just weren't in position in 09-10 to feel the effects. Nevertheless, it adds up to more jobs. So +1 here.

I ain't mad at Obama, don't hate him, would rather not be even muddying his name, but what could he have done? I'm sure there are other measures missing here he took that did look out for people, but the fact that there was not even a proposal of something that targeted Black People in America disappoints me to no end. The fact that the opportunity passed is inexcusable to me. Let them shoot it down, just make the gesture. Maybe he got word that it'd be his head immediately, but if that's the case... again that's another implication of a larger problem that I'd rather not think about just yet.

Those wonder woman spoilers...oof. Satch already told me she wasn't gonna see it just based off the trailer, but holy shit. It seems like a trainwreck.

Damn, I was lookking forward to that too. :(

Lol. Even Rayman?

Mine is probably Watch_Dogs.

there was a good rayman game?

from Lil B of Videogaming's review....fuck why isn't it the 28th yet

"A world that’s basically Disney’s Brave meets The Last of Us, Enslaved: Journey to the West, Far Cry, Mass Effect, The Witcher, Monster Hunter, Toukiden, and loads of other really, really cool shit.

That’s basically Horizon in a nutshell – loads of really, really cool shit."

"A world that’s basically Disney’s Brave meets The Last of Us, Enslaved: Journey to the West, Far Cry, Mass Effect, The Witcher, Monster Hunter, Toukiden, and loads of other really, really cool shit.

The first one was a solid platformer.

Come out on the 1st here.
Then I have an interview the day after. Then Zelda. Help.

Numb

That's a great combo
Now on my radar

Morning all. Cardio day was today and then I hit the steam room. I have to go in the office today but it might just be a light day.

I mean you posted in here to talk about it, so we're talking. You're saying that they're opinions are ignorant and they shouldn't say such things about fiction if they themselves can't stand up to scrutiny. I mean, were you expecting any reply to your opener to be "yeah you're right about that! 100% agree about the dumb fucks", or was there a different point that I'm missing? So say I disagree with you, and agree with their take away from the footage. Are we not at a point where we can discuss the details, or is the conversation pretty much done because I'm about to trash something that you're into? Does my opinion make me ignorant as well? There is an ever growing list of games that we can't even talk about candidly about in here because people want to catch feelings about shit that they didn't create. It's bizarre.

Nope I'm not looking for anyone to blindly agree, but I asked you your purpose of the conversation sine it has become apparent that you have been assumptions throughout this discussion. Not once did I mention criticism of something I like or find enjoyable is unwarranted. I have pointed out that insults and complaints about a character look and actual physical characteristics shared by real people are being made in ignorance and deserve nothing more than a petty remark. So it seems like your discussion has moved passed my comments, hence why I keep asking you to explain yourself. We can have a discussion but I'm not going to pretend that I'm discussing the merits of criticism when I'm discussing assholes on the internet claiming facial structures to be ugly and off and hairstyles to be inherently edgy. Maybe you re discussing that but that is a discussion by yourself since my points have not changed.

Numb

Trump getting dragged over his dumb and fake comments bout Sweden #LastNightInSweden
sabu.png

LOL Kings.

Boogie finally free of that bullshit. Grats to him.

That's it?

Wat? Boogie didn't want out. He wanted to stay.

But when the Kings started shopping around during all star weekends (last season aswel), his camp just told them to go fuck themselves.

And Karl didn't say that, he was fired because he is a racist incompetent piece of shit.

Milo always gave me an uneasy feeling in my stomach because he's a transparent degenerate, so while I wasnt aware of his support for sexual abuse, I'm not even remotely surprised about it. Guy sounds like an actual criminal or at the very least an accessory to sex crimes.

Milo always gave me an uneasy feeling in my stomach because he's a transparent degenerate, so while I wasnt aware of his support for sexual abuse, I'm not even remotely surprised about it. Guy sounds like an actual criminal or at the very least an accessory to sex crimes.

Bruh. What you mean? He's ok with sexual abusers? Wtffff

Morning BCT.

LionPride

Banned

That's it?

Boogie was committed to Sacremento, didn't wanna leave, Vlade even told hid ass they weren't trading him...

akira28

if you want to avoid hotep disease, remember that Africa is a larch ass continent that didn't begin or end with Egypt. so that's your apple a day to keep the knock-off gold foil ankhs away. The reasons why Egypt was focused on so strongly during the re-discovery of African culture are well known, seeing how it was the only part of Africa that wasn't suppressed or denied. chiefly because it had been claimed by white people as their own history. we could go further, but not unless there is a point to it.

anyone with hotep tendency approaching over 9000, they have been incorrectly configured, and should cease all operation for immediate recalibration.

Slayven

Funny thing is Death was originaly not going to be real. Thanos was suppose to be crazy. They do that concept in the Silver Surfer cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom