• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT18| - Ma-ma-ma-MAXIMUM! Haram Achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merc_

People hungry for representation that black skin color option for Inklings of all people in Mario Kart is atleast better than nothing.

Although Splatoon has awesome dark skin inklings already

That thread has pretty much gone down the tubes though. Some folks are really bothered by the idea that inklings can be black.

I should find some before summer pictures of my daughters vs after. I'd show the after picture first and then freak them out as she is caucasian looking in the winter.

Kreed

That is cool, but who really cares?

s

I fail to see how this is a big deal. This is a franchise where you can pick bones, baby plumbers, and literal ghosts as your character. It's not really the vessel for race statements, to be honest.

m

You realize they're actually tanned Japanese characters, right? Japan usually makes it clear when characters are black.

f

You kind of get a sense of what characters are black by watching anime. These characters are not black. It's fine if you pretend that they are, but don't act like Nintendo is actually providing diverse representation in this game.

h

Malyse

You are saying having a 24/7 tan in a video game or anime is not Black?

Why?

Because the tan gives you ownership of that character right?

At any point those dark brown tans can become white, in your perception it is just a tan means they are just whites with a tan not blacks.

So if I say they are not tanned they are indeed black, I just took away your ownership and placed them in my camp.

Am I getting at the heart of what your issue with me is?

Because it seems to me you feel I am forcing something down your throat?

So yeah in your mind those are just tanned white inklings.
In my fantasy world those are black inklings.

I like my idea better if so if you believe in tanning inklings so much why don't you spend the 10 hours I spent in animal crossing to get your white inklings tanned?

When the game comes out select a white skinned inkling, if after 10 hours in the sun, maybe a beach course Mario Sunshine level maybe. If after 10 hours you get a tan just like I did. You win. If after 10 hours your inkling is still white and you did not tan then fuck off with your logic.

As long as New Leaf is a thing then these Inklings are the new black to me.

I had to tan my Animal Crossing character weekly just to stay black in your mind a tan is not blackness so it is true they really never gave me an option to be truly black.

But now Nintendo finally gives a game with a real black character no tanning bullshit and the first shit that comes out of your mouth is, Its just a tan bro.

What are you afraid of? Why is a tanned inkling more important to you than my having the option to role play as my own race?

Put this in the next Hall of Fame.

Idk why people get so anal about ambiguously brown anime characters

As long as the creator doesnt explicitly define them then the audience should feel free to interpret as they wish. There's no point in stopping people from "pretending" (Casca got some black in her, goddammit)

Malyse

Also
2895050-1109660999-image
This is an actual game that exists. Xbox One no less.

As long as the creator doesnt explicitly define them then the audience should feel free to interpret as they wish. There's no point in stopping people from "pretending" (Casca got some black in her, goddammit)
Casca half black we all know this.

it's funny how many people choose differing races for Kinessa in Paladins. Indian people usually say she is Indian. Black People say she is back.

Numb

Ambiguous brown is what you'll be getting mostly anyway

Bleach might be shit but it atleast had enough black people in it compared to most

Crocodile

One day I'd like to see a thread in gaming side with the title "Game X adds dark-skinned options or minority character(s) Y" without it going to shit. One day. Sigh.

On an uplifting, because it funny rather than being inspirational, note I just came across video of this random guy dancing. Enjoy :p

What happened with that Gerudo thread on Gaming side?

Huh? It's right here. I didn't get a chance to read the whole thread, did it go to shit at the end? The thread seemed to be doing great when I was last in it

As I said in the Inkling thread, most anime artstyles are bad about ethnicity in general. Most characters that people think are "white" in anime aren't Caucasian. Most characters who are supposed to be Japanese don't look "Japanese" in anime. Filling in the gaps is something the human brain is great at (hence why we see faces EVERYWHERE). As long as you get close enough, the human brain will fill the rest in. It may not be ideal but its good enough.

Beefy

Man up and catch something that can kill you next time, like pneumonia.
I am probably going to die from pneumonia. I've caught it three times

I get bronchitis once a year. My mental health issues make it easy for me to catch shit, even though I exercise and eat healthy as fuck. Never had pneumonia though.

Malyse

I get bronchitis once a year. My mental health issues make it easy for me to catch shit, even though I exercise and eat healthy as fuck. Never had pneumonia though.

Had pneumonia last year. It was the worst. Felt like I was drowning just sitting in bed.

YUP. I had it when I was a baby (almost died), in high school, and in college (felt like I was dying). I haven't gotten really sick for about 18 months though.

Numb

I like how fighting games are the best at being diverse but at the same time the worst type since it's just a bunch of stereotypes
298984739472146432.png

RedSwirl

It's a weird side effect of anime character designs being "raceless" because they're first and foremost designed for a homogeneous audience that doesn't need racial cues to recognize their characters.

Has anyone ever gotten a comment from an actual mangaka or anime animator on the "why do anime characters look white?" question? I imagine it would be the best way to shut down that whole discussion.

Casca half black we all know this.

Half?! Ain't no "half" about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom