• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh get down got cancelled? Still havent gotten around to watching it, i was gonna start it and before the intro credits could finish i just stopped to go play games instead 😂

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So Arrow pretty much stuck the landing on its season finale.

Prometheus was a fantastic villain.

Izuna

Banned
My 23 and me reports are ready and I am afraid to open them.

Been ambiguously mixed raced my whole life to an apparent white dude and mixed black girl with a Greek name.

Actually... I'm gunna need like... A few more minutes before I open this.

My 23 and me reports are ready and I am afraid to open them.

Been ambiguously mixed raced my whole life to an apparent white dude and mixed black girl with a Greek name.

Actually... I'm gunna need like... A few more minutes before I open this.

you are actually from South East Antarctica

pfkd7Ie.png

That's a perfectly fine top five for a guy in his 20s. Just be happy his father didn't influence him, probably have Schooly D or Fat Boys on there instead.

Izuna

Banned
The results are... in? Join me on the fun look at my heritage.

50.1% European said:
25.0%
British & Irish

4.2%
French & German

16.5%
Broadly Northwestern European

Southern European said:
0.4%
Sardinian

0.4%
Iberian

2.3%
Broadly Southern European

1.2%
Broadly European

49.6% Sub-Saharan African said:
45.9%
West African

1.9%
Central & South African

1.9%
Broadly Sub-Saharan African

< 0.1%
East Asian & Native American

< 0.1%
Native American

0.2%
Unassigned

Looks like that East Asian is about as small as I thought. In other words, non-existent.

So why then, do my eyes look "Chinese?"

I can only guess and use random articles found online, but I pointed quickly in this direction (source: https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Asian-and-certain-West-African-languages-so-similar).

main-qimg-3c3b4c2ec3b9e2eceab524b3b8057de3-c

some Chinese likely originated from West Africa, which shares the "slanted" eyes look. (Dark Skin Asians, amirite? no? okay.)

edit:

So there goes the whole "Cuban" heritage I was wrong about. Well, at least from a DNA standpoint.

What my Mum doesn't have an explanation for, and is confusing to me also? The fact that Carribean doesn't show up.

Well, it's because it will show up as West African (23andme issue, but it makes sense, Jamaican girls on YouTube have the similar result).

My Mum's father's grandfather was some Greek dude (apparently) and his descendants all live in Jamaican. They've mixed a bunch (inc. half Japanese cousins). I'll get her to a similar test at some point.

I got more to look into but, there has to be something because people keep thinking this Cuban dude at work is my brother (same hair, skin tone, etc.) and I get mistaken for a different race each week. I guess I'm like water.

:) Anyway, that was fun. EDIT: Turns out I don't know where countries in Africa are but nvm.

Johndoey

Banned
I wish I'd done more exploration of New York while I was still in Brooklyn. I remember finding a cheap copy of Circle Of The Moon in a shop and buying this set of 16 AAs for two dollars at the same time. Don't know what I was expecting, but each pair died within three seconds or so.

Sch1sm

Health reports make me happy

only thing that popped up is the ONE thing I know I got.

Any Ethiopian peeps in this thread?

Am I half Negus?

Closest we've got is Numb and myself, don't think anyone who currently regulars here is Ethiopian, or they haven't mentioned it. I know a couple around GAF in general.

Izuna

Banned
Closest we've got is Numb and myself, don't think anyone who currently regulars here is Ethiopian, or they haven't mentioned it. I know a couple around GAF in general.

I know nothing about the place other than there were some super rich people from that area. Gunna look up some West African food.

~~

The blond hair when I was a baby thing kinda popped up, so that's cool.

Sch1sm

I know nothing about the place other than there were some super rich people from that area. Gunna look up some West African food.

~~

The blond hair when I was a baby thing kinda popped up, so that's cool.

Ethiopia's on the East, bud. Way way East Africa. Well, it got landlocked by Eritrea back when they claimed independence, but it's basically the dead end.

Find yourself a Nigerian or Ghanian friend in your area and profit with the West African food.

Izuna

Banned
Ethiopia's on the East, bud. Way way East Africa. Well, it got landlocked by Eritrea back when they claimed independence, but it's basically the dead end.

Find yourself a Nigerian or Ghanian friend in your area and profit with the West African food.

Oh, I super posted the wrong thing.

I will admit that I'm stupid and know nothing about the area.

Hmm... My Mum is mistaken.

Edit: some fuckery going on actually, I guess I gotta figure out a few things

So the story is, grandmother was from a family that had land in Ethiopia and apart from that, I simply don't know. My Mum wants to see if the Caribbean pops up in hers.

Sch1sm

Oh, I super posted the wrong thing.

I will admit that I'm stupid and know nothing about the area.

Hmm... My Mum is mistaken.

Edit: some fuckery going on actually, I guess I gotta figure out a few things

If you have any questions about the geography, or whatever, just swing a message.

Have fun navigating your results.

Izuna

Banned
wait a fucking second, Carribean can't show up on 23andme anyway

Just watched a Jamaican girl's YouTube video on her 23andme results and she explains how it will show up as West African

;/ stupid me

edit: So we'll find out when my Mum does it, but her mother is probably showing up as central Africa or something. -- apparently she was born in Cuba, according to her other family members, so theres's that.

If you have any questions about the geography, or whatever, just swing a message.

Have fun navigating your results.

I guess now, I'm gunna be looking up what sort of African heritage people in Jamaica typically have.

Izuna

Banned
hahaha, turns out 23andme has different settings for the results

We assign populations at three confidence levels:
Speculative (51%)
Standard (75%)
Conservative (90%)

So have a look... The results for Speculative were 48 something % African right?

This is Conservative:
48.0% European
6.8%
Northwestern European
41.3%
Broadly European

5.8%
Sub-Saharan African
2.8%
West African
3.0%
Broadly Sub-Saharan African

46.2%
Unassigned

In other words, 23andme is mostly useless for the important part I didn't know about. They are just assuming West Africa like for all those Jamaican women. They're just making the assuming based on the 5 or so % African I share with other results that my Mum has to be THAT much African.

--

so with Standard, it says 0.1% East Asian or Native American but doesn't know which. Which I am assuming is the Chinese then. Ofc, they guess this is likely Native American because of the region, even tho that made no sense.

Izuna

Banned
gNkgcD0.png

All the white space is stuff they don't know about. So they just assumed it was all West African in the speculative view (because it tries to fill it up).

The fact that Jamaican shows up as West African made my Mum so shocked, but I guess it makes more sense now that 23andme is useless for people like me.

The results are... in? Join me on the fun look at my heritage.

Looks like that East Asian is about as small as I thought. In other words, non-existent.

So why then, do my eyes look "Chinese?"

I can only guess and use random articles found online, but I pointed quickly in this direction (source: https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Asian-and-certain-West-African-languages-so-similar).

main-qimg-3c3b4c2ec3b9e2eceab524b3b8057de3-c

some Chinese likely originated from West Africa, which shares the "slanted" eyes look. (Dark Skin Asians, amirite? no? okay.)

edit:

So there goes the whole "Cuban" heritage I was wrong about. Well, at least from a DNA standpoint.

What my Mum doesn't have an explanation for, and is confusing to me also? The fact that Carribean doesn't show up.

Well, it's because it will show up as West African (23andme issue, but it makes sense, Jamaican girls on YouTube have the similar result).

My Mum's father's grandfather was some Greek dude (apparently) and his descendants all live in Jamaican. They've mixed a bunch (inc. half Japanese cousins). I'll get her to a similar test at some point.

I got more to look into but, there has to be something because people keep thinking this Cuban dude at work is my brother (same hair, skin tone, etc.) and I get mistaken for a different race each week. I guess I'm like water.

:) Anyway, that was fun. EDIT: Turns out I don't know where countries in Africa are but nvm.

23andme will tell you about your European heritage (if you have it) but not Neanderthal? &#129300;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom