• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

hahaha, turns out 23andme has different settings for the results

I did Ancestry.com a while back and they were much more detailed than what you're describing/posting, right down to what countries/regions my DNA comes from and explanations for it.

Izuna

Banned
Oh I see. But the23andme report did tell you you have some?

How much does it cost? If you don't mind me asking

It's like £150

I did Ancestry.com a while back and they were much more detailed than what you're describing/posting, right down to what countries/regions my DNA comes from and explanations for it.

They are supposedly the same thing. They used to share results etc. Ancestry is useless for me considering I don't know the last names of even 2 generations before me.

Kreed

They are supposedly the same thing. They used to share results etc. Ancestry is useless for me considering I don't know the last names of even 2 generations before me.

Ancestry has more users so that's probably why their results are more detailed. All that "unassigned" in your graphic seems unacceptable IMO. When I did my results I only did myself/no one else in my family/extended family has done it yet, so I'm not sure why you need to know last names of other family members.

Izuna

Banned
Hm on the previous page though you were saying 23andme was kinda useless for stuff you didn't know? Makes me wonder if it'll be worth it

useless as fuck for me considering I am like 46% unknown. But my Mum's ancestors have been mixing for generations. She has strait hair, blonde hair black women as cousins and her dad's cousins are white without mixing with European and all sorts of shit.

The whole 48% West African thing was obviously some guessing by 23andme which I guess, didn't actually make sense in the first place.

Yeah I'd recommend Ancestry over anything else, they're much more detailed and like Kreed said, other% is unacceptable. Though my family has held their history close and still has a living tribe thats how I learned my roots. My Ancestry I did was much more detailed than anything you're showing Izuna. Same difference, spit in tube, ship it out get results in like 2 months.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah I'd recommend Ancestry over anything else, they're much more detailed and like Kreed said, other% is unacceptable. Though my family has held their history close and still has a living tribe thats how I learned my roots. My Ancestry I did was much more detailed than anything you're showing Izuna. Same difference, spit in tube, ship it out get results in like 2 months.

What I imagine is happening, is that because my Mum's side is so mixed, I carry a bunch of chromosomes that aren't say, in bundles that they expect. There are a variety of genes all over the place and you would make the assumption if say, a lot of one's genes match that of a certain area. Just a random, lonely gene or a mix not seen before would make it hard to pinpoint.

I don't imagine different results with Ancestry.com. They definitely use the same samples. If Ancestry makes different conclusions, then it wouldn't be entirely sure either.

edit: Yeah I'm looking at people who have done both and the results are not very different in what they say.

it finally came

DArxYoyXgAAbRct.jpg

Kreed

What I imagine is happening, is that because my Mum's side is so mixed, I carry a bunch of chromosomes that aren't say, in bundles that they expect. There are a variety of genes all over the place and you would make the assumption if say, a lot of one's genes match that of a certain area. Just a random, lonely gene or a mix not seen before would make it hard to pinpoint.

I don't imagine different results with Ancestry.com. They definitely use the same samples. If Ancestry makes different conclusions, then it wouldn't be entirely sure either.

edit: Yeah I'm looking at people who have done both and the results are not very different in what they say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqUEBGLIhc8

Just watch the first minute of this video and it breaks down how much more information Ancestry.com gives you vs what you've been showing us in regards to DNA breakdown. 23andMe does have other benefits according to the entire video that are better than Ancestry.com (Neanderthal Ancestry, Haplogroup DNA results, etc...), but just speaking on the Ancestry DNA breakdown and from what you've posted, I feel like Ancestry.com is better for that purpose.

Izuna

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqUEBGLIhc8

Just watch the first minute of this video and it breaks down how much more information Ancestry.com gives you vs what you've been showing us in regards to DNA breakdown. 23andMe does have other benefits according to the entire video that are better than Ancestry.com (Neanderthal Ancestry, Haplogroup DNA results, etc...), but just speaking on the Ancestry DNA breakdown and from what you've posted, I feel like Ancestry.com is better for that purpose.

For real, those subgroups are essentially the same as what you have in 23andme. If so much of it is unassigned, then Ancestry won't know either. If they assume West African they will just go in deeper.

Neither of these will show, say, Jamaica.

I also don't really believe you can break up the African countries since most didn't exist until SUPER recently and were just collections of different tribes etc.

I just don't see what information Ancestry would have.

Regardless, getting my Mother to do 23andme and link the data. :)

Izuna

Banned
Found a Jamaican cousin who looks almost exactly like my Mum, so there's that I guess. What a cool family. 23andme is dope.

--

These white cousins are like...

Dai101

Banned
So this is where everyone went while i was out. Guess i'll never go buy cigarettes again, folks forget to leave a note and leave you like a deadbeat dad.

J/k homies. Nice to be back with ya'll. Shame for duck, i'll miss that mofo. You too Gordon, que estes bien hermano, hope is not perm for you.

So, everything good with all? Life is good or at least bearable for everyone i hope so.

Have a nice day ya'll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom