• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised to see black people in that trailer. When I saw that keyart I got the impression it was in a place where they say "We don't like your kind around here".

Johndoey

Banned
Will they get black right tho? Not just some white dude that skin goes tanned.

It'll be fine. Character creator or no Ubisoft is usually alright with stuff like properly representing different skin tones. They'll do better than "Baked white guy". Hair is a different thing though. I don't know how I feel about Eden's Gate as the name.

Beefy

How black do you really want to be in a game set in Montana?

White -> Slighty Less White -> Tan -> Whoa, you must work outside a lot.

That how it is there? 😂

It'll be fine. Character creator or no Ubisoft is usually alright with stuff like properly representing different skin tones. They'll do better than "Baked white guy". Hair is a different thing though.

Yeah, bet we get one fro that just looks like it is some wig stuck on a dudes head.

Johndoey

Banned
That how it is there? ��

Yeah, bet we get one fro that just looks like it is some wig stuck on a dudes head.

This 2010 census data I see is saying African Americans make up a fairly low percentage of Montana's population. Like 0.41%.

LionPride

Banned
Montana is full of montains, snow, normal white people, and crazy white people. The one person I met from Montana is normal. I think.

Johndoey

Banned
I have no faith in the quality of writing in the game, but at least the open world should be less of a pain in the ass to get around than Far Cry 4.

Only thing I'm remotely excited about is the fishing. Still got low expectations on FC5, trailer didn't establish it as dark as the topic at hand could be. I expect inanity if anything.

Izuna

Banned
So, I guess this is me

xd1wRRX.png

Where that pink really means Jamaican but whatevs. I guess I'm at a brick wall.

Greetings black people, *fill in the rest here because I am too lazy to come up with creative names for yall* , and woman tearning down her Isiah Thomas poster as we speak

andthebeatgoeson

Greetings black people, *fill in the rest here because I am too lazy to come up with creative names for yall* , and woman tearning down her Isiah Thomas poster as we speak
Man listen. She on the 76ers timeline. Still waiting on a couple of good players and for LeBron to fall off hard.

Now Boston is much further away from Philly. But Cleveland is twice as far from Boston. So we still close on this terrible scale.

Good afternoon BCT.

I had a random thought when I was on gaming side. I wonder how many gaming "news" sites and YouTube channels depend on GAF to craft arguments and narratives that they will then cite.

I've been watching some YouTube videos on recent gaming news and often I hear "posted in a thread on GAF."

GAF = Twitter
Gaming news sites = Buzzfeed

Second that, I'd prefer seeing what they could do over Telltale.

Actually, I was thinking about it, and I changed my mind. I don't want to see any black story concept handled by this team of French white people and one to two black guys unless only those guys have the story and direction reins:

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAhuAAAAJDRiZWFlNzcxLTlkYWQtNDAzZi05OWI0LTlhMjM0MzFlNGU3OQ.png

Telltale is about the same, though they are slightly more diverse.

But, you know, this is a big problem with the industry as a whole.

According to the International Game Developers Association, only 3% of game developers worldwide are black. Only 7% are Hispanic/Latino. Only 8% are East/South East Asian. Only 2.5% are Arab or West Asian. Only 4% are homosexual. Only 10% are bisexual. Only 1.5% are male-to-female transgender, and only 0.3% are female-to-male transgender.

And according to the stats, the majority of devs want more diversity in games and in the workplace. I'm actually wondering if the industry isn't in a good place to tackle these stories with any nuance or even at all until they get far more people of color into the industry.

BCT check this tune:
https://youtu.be/ZmNmHwDHWj8
��

"I ain't responsible for your wellbeing" LOL

D i Z

Good afternoon BCT.

I had a random thought when I was on gaming side. I wonder how many gaming "news" sites and YouTube channels depend on GAF to craft arguments and narratives that they will then cite.

I've heard many a reviewer and content creator pull their arguments and positions from conversations on GAF.

Actually, I was thinking about it, and I changed my mind. I don't want to see any black story concept handled by this team of French white people and one to two black guys unless only those guys have the story and direction reins:

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAhuAAAAJDRiZWFlNzcxLTlkYWQtNDAzZi05OWI0LTlhMjM0MzFlNGU3OQ.png

Telltale is about the same, though they are slightly more diverse.

But, you know, this is a big problem with the industry as a whole.

According to the International Game Developers Association, only 3% of game developers worldwide are black. Only 7% are Hispanic/Latino. Only 8% are East/South East Asian. Only 2.5% are Arab or West Asian. Only 4% are homosexual. Only 10% are bisexual. Only 1.5% are male-to-female transgender, and only 0.3% are female-to-male transgender.

And according to the stats, the majority of devs want more diversity in games and in the workplace. I'm actually wondering if the industry isn't in a good place to tackle these stories with any nuance or even at all until they get far more people of color into the industry.

"I ain't responsible for your wellbeing" LOL
Should have been more specific that from a gameplay stand point, I thought dontnod handled it better than Telltale in that regards. However, as far as story driven content regarding diversity you're right.

I would also assume the game industry has the same problem most industries deal with when it comes to career barriers in relation to diversity, which is nepotism and lack of representation in the first place.

Though a snowball effect, the biggest problem with all of this is, it needs to start somewhere. If you're seeking a career in the industry and you're a PoC you're less likely to apply because of lack of representation..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom