• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
Honestly, Izuna, until you tell us what your definition of racism is, we can't have any constructive conversation with you on the topic of it. I've read your post, I've tried responding to it, but I'm not even sure how to navigate a conversation about racism when it seems that we're operating on two separate definitions.

I'm working on the literal, basic dictionary definition.

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

~~

So I just watched a video about how a sub 2-hour marathon is essentially impossible and realised that I left it running and it just ended a recording of the entire on. Haha.

So apparently East Africans have some advantage for marathon running.

I thought it was sprinting that black people had the advantage.

Slayven

On it..

giphy.gif

Too soon

~~

So I just watched a video about how a sub 2-hour marathon is essentially impossible and realised that I left it running and it just ended a recording of the entire on. Haha.

smhp.gif

Like, part of my opinion might be because of who I thought originally shared the cover.

I thought it was completely intended on being a pun in some uplifting way, so I'm probably waaaaay off base here.

Well I was sharing it on my Facebook hoping someone would comment on it. I was thinking that Waking Up Colored would fit with the Narrative of growing up Haitian and one day moving to the US and finding out you are different 'colored' or you suddenly became black. there is a short bio in the book dealing with some of that.

but I was thinking of the negatives the title might raise

Slayven

Well I was sharing it on my Facebook hoping someone would comment on it. I was thinking that Waking Up Colored would fit with the Narrative of growing up Haitian and one day moving to the US and finding out you are different 'colored' or you suddenly became black. there is a short bio in the book dealing with some of that.

No offense but "Waking Up Colored " sounds like the Rachel Dolzal biography

Like, I want to know the answers. All I know is that Dear White People as a movie didn't make anyone "woke". It pushed people away from being post-racial. I don't care if that's all on white people for not understanding it (or myself for that matter), it isn't helping.

Perhaps I'm thinking too much in 2D, that racism is on a slider and certain actions either move it one way or the other. Maybe if there is a slider, anything above 0% "society is racist" is far too much...

What you describe, about outside the safe spaces being "back into the fray", that helps me understand the need for them. I feel unconvinced that it's that much of an issue here in the UK/France, but I know it isn't for me to say.

people who are post-racial in a racist society are just promoting racism via inaction. they're diet racists.

Izuna

Banned

To be honest, I've never really heard the term coloured used outside of "Person of Colour". It's not me that would have a problem with it, admittedly.

Izuna

Banned
people who are post-racial in a racist society are just promoting racism via inaction. they're diet racists.

Regardless, there's a lot of hate for that movie when it came out.

The movie isn't for white people to learn about being woke, despite being addressed to them in a literal sense.

I think it's tone deaf.

Or am I the only PoC who hates the movie?

I don't think using "colored" in the context you're talking about would be inappropriate, though some will be automatically turned off and not want to flip past the cover

Regardless, there's a lot of hate for that movie base on when it came out.

The movie isn't for white people to learn about being woke, despite being addressed to them in a literal sense.

I think it's tone deaf.

i dunno, lemme ask Ben Carson and Sheriff Clarke...

No no that;d be "Colored the Wrong Way: The True Story about How God Ran out of Brown Crayons Before Making Me", she'd never claim she woke up black... that would mean she'd have to admit to ever being white.

"Waking Up Colored" is the Punisher/Cage mini series where Punisher is turned into a black man because comics...

Slayven

I think it's tone deaf.

What is it tone deaf about? It deals with folks trying to navigate blackness while becoming adults. Is it tone deaf because it doesn't assuage white people or really include them in the conversation?

Shy

~~

6TSWkb8.gif

When someone pulls "Dictionary definition of racism" that's the end of it.
I think I'm missing something. Is that the new "That's bait" gif?
jwiIAyx.png

I don't think using "colored" in the context you're talking about would be inappropriate, though some will be automatically turned off and not want to flip past the cover
It would be. Because they are using it in the definition of the word.

Izuna

Banned
6TSWkb8.gif

Why?

I was never taught any different and never been told why I shouldn't.

What is it tone deaf about? It deals with folks trying to navigate blackness while becoming adults. Is it tone deaf because it doesn't assuage white people or really include them in the conversation?

I'm going to look this up because I'm confused. Not trolling or anything.

I'll read this and come back: http://www.okayplayer.com/news/dear-white-people-mad-about-dear-white-people.html

I think it's tone deaf.

I mean... Do you consider yourself a PoC or non black PoC? Do you consider yourself black at all? Cause all what ive been reading, you're sus, that's just my honest opinion, ain't speaking on behalf of no one else in here. But the fact that you just pulled the dictionary definition of racism out is sketchy... And no different when these diet racist ass gaf posters do it.
This nigga talking about France.... lol

Why are y'all entertaining this trolling?
Cause this nigga on some voat sandbox level suspect shit.

Maybe I need to go back to my bbq. Getting to heated reading this nonsense.

Slayven

Why?

I was never taught any different and never been told why I shouldn't.

Cause people that usually cite the definition usually view racism as narrow and binary thing. When it is amorphous and shifting, they especially love ignoring institutional racism

Imm0rt4l

I feel like he probably thinks "dear white people" is provocative/abrasive...like black folks got a chip on our collective shoulder and we need to-- like be nicer in showing our discontent with our circumstances because it pushes potential "allies" by calling out all white people but we're hypocrites for 'self-srgregating' or something.

lol

To be honest, I've never really heard the term coloured used outside of "Person of Colour". It's not me that would have a problem with it, admittedly.

I'll have to find something else

6TSWkb8.gif

jwiIAyx.png

It would be. Because they are using it in the definition of the word.

I thought they were using "colored" as in "When I came to America, I saw that people were calling me/treating me as if they were calling me 'colored'"

If they meant "I am colored", then I don't think they should use that title

Shy

This nigga talking about France.... lol

Why are y'all entertaining this trolling?
I'm not. Done with him now, my fam.
full

lol Coming from you a smile is like being told to take a ride to the woods with Silvio by Tony Soprano. Okay, now I'm gonna go eat. Night, all.
LMAO.
Cause people that usually cite the definition usually view racism as narrow and binary thing. When it is amorphous and shifting, they especially love ignoring institutional racism
I'm just waiting for him to pull the "i don't see race" fuckery.
Fuckery hath abounded.

francis.png
francis.png

We gotta do better.
We've reached a new ascended level, of as of yet undiscovered Haram.

Izuna

Banned

Well, FWIW, I definitely don't ignore institutional racism. My realisation of its existence is why I first posted in this thread (or at least when I entered).

When I look at the dictionary definition, I see racism as being all-encompassing the same way I view a "women's menu" as being sexist.

Didn't know being born and raised in east Africa made me a Marathon running machine
Y'all heard it here first

One of
Playing all the new people minus Lucky Chloe and Gigas

Even though I don't like Chloe, Gigas is a way weirder entry to me. Who likes him? He looks like a Tekken Force enemy. His spot would've been better reserved for one of the many absent veterans.

D i Z

I mean... Do you consider yourself a PoC or non black PoC? Do you consider yourself black at all? Cause all what ive been reading, you're sus, that's just my honest opinion, ain't speaking on behalf of no one else in here. But the fact that you just pulled the dictionary definition of racism out is sketchy... And no different when these diet racist ass gaf posters do it.

Cause this nigga on some voat sandbox level suspect shit.

Maybe I need to go back to my bbq. Getting to heated reading this nonsense.

Nothing suspect about it. It's been known.

Izuna

Banned
Didn't know being born and raised in east Africa made me a Marathon running machine
Y'all heard it here first

I didn't say that at all.

I had assumed that muscle performance explained why black people dominated 100m sprinting. That doctor is claiming that particularly East African athletes benefit from muscle performance that helps with the marathon.

In other words, there's very different DNA with regard to athletic advantages among different regions.

I don't like having this conversation on the back of me being questioned. It has nothing to do with how I feel about the other topic at hand but juxtaposed it makes it look like I have an agenda.

Izuna

Banned
What do you have to look up, you said the movie was tone deaf. How was it tone deaf to you?

I don't know if it's tone deaf to me because I'm a brit, or because I have the mindset of a white moderate or diet-racist.

I thought the movie was going to be very different to what it was.

Like, I wouldn't say a Ted Talk with that title would be at all helpful. Whatever it is I'm missing, I'm soul searching.

What I probably need is a short break to read, because I don't even feel like I have a different opinion anymore, I feel like I have different definitions for everything.

I'll exit until I've done some reading.

Apologies everyone.

Numb

Yeah, this entry has a lot of good stuff, but it also looks pretty weird. Will you just be playing online are you thinking about joining the tourney scene?

I'm just an online warrior. Not good enough toenter serious tournaments but if they are close ofc i'll jump in.
Local internet cafe is having a launch tournament and i plan to go there and smash these Smash and MOBA players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom