• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

D i Z

Swing and a miss, basic Becky. You clearly don't know me well enough to make jokes.

The ability to decide when something is good enough.
I may have completely redesigned the logo last weekend. For the seventh time.

Damn!

All right, I've been off the net all weekend. What happened in Charlottesville

It would be worth it to catch up on some of the videos just to see what went down. A lot to absorb in a short period of time and all that.

Also, a fellowman was lynched feet away from a police station by a white mob of said white supremacists, neo-nazis, etc.

2017 y'all

What? I didn't hear about this at all.

Spike Lee Developing TV Series Inspired by ‘Young Black Mark Zuckerberg' Tech Entrepreneur

Spike Lee is gearing up to shop around a new TV series with tech entrepreneur and multi-hyphenate rising star Chad Sanders, Variety has learned exclusively.

The series, titled ”Archer," is a dark comedy and sociological thriller capturing the life of a 20-something African-American coding genius and iconoclast living in Brooklyn who has developed a dating app that reads sexual chemistry. The central character is described as a ”young, black Mark Zuckerberg-like protagonist," and the story will travel between New York, Silicon Valley, and Berlin's famously sexual environment.

spike-lee-chad-sanders-tech-entrepreneur-tv-show-archer-1202523860/

also fuck all those 18-24 yr olds me and my boys played in Football today

D i Z

Spike Lee Developing TV Series Inspired by ‘Young Black Mark Zuckerberg’ Tech Entrepreneur

Spike Lee is gearing up to shop around a new TV series with tech entrepreneur and multi-hyphenate rising star Chad Sanders, Variety has learned exclusively.

The series, titled “Archer,” is a dark comedy and sociological thriller capturing the life of a 20-something African-American coding genius and iconoclast living in Brooklyn who has developed a dating app that reads sexual chemistry. The central character is described as a “young, black Mark Zuckerberg-like protagonist,” and the story will travel between New York, Silicon Valley, and Berlin’s famously sexual environment.

Them boys had you feeling your age, huh?

Spike Lee Developing TV Series Inspired by ‘Young Black Mark Zuckerberg’ Tech Entrepreneur

The series, titled “Archer,” is a dark comedy and sociological thriller capturing the life of a 20-something African-American coding genius and iconoclast living in Brooklyn who has developed a dating app that reads sexual chemistry. The central character is described as a “young, black Mark Zuckerberg-like protagonist,” and the story will travel between New York, Silicon Valley, and Berlin’s famously sexual environment.

Calling it Archer seems like a bad idea from an SEO perspective

Mumei

https://psmag.com/news/tactical-lessons-from-the-civil-rights-movement

“We weren’t considered dignified,” laughs Charles E. Cobb Jr. “They told us the same things, that we were making more enemies than friends, that we were being too disruptive.” Cobb was an organizer with what he calls the “Southern Movement,” working as a Mississippi field secretary for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee from 1962 to ’67. I spoke with him about his 2015 book, This Nonviolent Stuff’ll Get You Killed: How Guns Made the Civil Rights Movement Possible. “The popular notion is that the Movement was about mass protests in public spaces and charismatic leaders,” he says, “and that’s a problem with the historiography. It was really about grassroots political organizing.” In the book, Cobb writes that accepting the hospitality of families in the South sometimes meant accepting that they would protect your life from white marauders, with violence if necessary. “Non-violence doesn’t work for everything,” Cobb says. “You use self-defense with the Klan.”

https://psmag.com/social-justice/the-ku-klux-klan-were-memelords

Fortunately, there are some encouraging lessons from the 19th century. Though the federal government betrayed Reconstruction, the Klan's reign was short-lived. "I don't want to sound like I'm suggesting anything," Parsons says, "but speaking as a historian, violent resistance was very effective. We've told ourselves a story about the Klan facing cowering victims, but people organized, fought, and defeated the Klan constantly." Black Americans in the Reconstruction South were often armed, not just as individuals but as communities, for collective self-defense. "There were places the Klan couldn't go," Parsons says, "people who, according to their code, they should have attacked, who they didn't."

Fighting back also dispelled the air of comedy. In 1868, when costumed night-riders showed up at Bob Anderson's home in Knoxville, Tennessee, he came out shooting. The local liberal paper celebrated Anderson, writing, "We wonder now if the Conservative papers will deny that the Kuklux sneak about the country in the unhallowed business of stealing from the freedmen. A Kluklux has been killed, laid low by the bullet of a brave colored man who had courage to defend his home from the assaults of reckless villains." If history is to be our guide, ignoring or laughing at the alt-right isn't going to be good enough. We have to take these jokers seriously.

Two relevant Pacific Standard articles from earlier this year. And a quote from Cobb's book:

Reverend King knew the risks. In fact, after the January 30,1956 bombing of his home in Montgomery, he himself—a man of the South, after all—applied at the sheriff's office for a permit to carry a concealed weapon. He was denied the permit, but this did not stop him from having firearms in his house (although it was not clear whether or not he owned them). Jouranlist William Worthy learned as much on his first visit to the King parsonage in Montgomery. Worthy began to sink into an armchair, almost sitting on two pistols. "Bill, wait, wait! Couple of guns on that chair!" warned the nonviolent activist Bayard Rustin, who had accompanied Worthy to the King home. "You don't want to shoot yourself." When Rustin asked about the weaopns, King responded, "Just for self-defense." They apparently were not the only weapons King kept around the house for such a purpose; Glenn Smiley of the Fellowship of Reconciliation, who during the Montgomery bus boycott advised King on techniques of nonviolent protest, described his home as "an arsenal."

D i Z

Kind of feel that some people in here should absorb these notes, adopt what they must and relax on what seems to be absolute chaos. This is just another chapter in the same old book. Like I said before, no one is exempt from walking this road.

LionPride

Banned
This entire episode of Insecure....

giphy.gif

Took you long enough

And do better
It's not my fault I am like him, Molly, and Issa but identify more with Lawrence

That may be because I had an argument with a girl last night that almost devolved into her callin me a fuck nigga tho

D i Z

giphy.gif

It's not my fault I am like him, Molly, and Issa but identify more with Lawrence

That may be because I had an argument with a girl last night that almost devolved into her callin me a fuck nigga tho

Waiting for the days when you can separate these things bruh. College will go down easier if you can do it now, but I guess you'll get there.

I mean call me a hotep or whatever. Tthose girls intentions were transparent as fuck from the parking lot (probably from the grocery store), but given that I knew that, would I have still gone through with what Lawrence did?
My dick says yes, and my brain... says yes as well

D i Z

I mean call me a hotep or whatever. Tthose girls intentions were transparent as fuck from the parking lot (probably from the grocery store), but given that I knew that, would I have still gone through with what Lawrence did?

I wasn't going to watch this until my sipping hour, but damn.

LionPride

Banned
Waiting for the days when you can separate these things bruh. College will go down easier if you can do it now, but I guess you'll get there.
I'd post the texts if I cared enough, but when I get my character called out when I'm being 100% honest with someone who knows me well and they don't believe me...I get a tad bit miffed

Like I make selfish, sometimes bad decisions that I know are selfish and bad, but this last one was selfish and yet wasn't bad. Yet this girl thinks I made this decision to precisely fuck with her and only her and her feelings cause she in a good space now.

It's whatever, I leave Friday, I ain't gotta see her ass again till Novemeber, if she still on this bullshit, I ain't gotta talk to her again so it's gucci
She ain't have no ass, neither of em did

So issa no from me

LotusHD

Banned

giphy.gif

I watch this with my friends, get their reactions as I'm watching it. My friend threw her iPad across the room during that scene lmao

You do better too.

And nah, I'm good.

D i Z

I know you won't cos you're good people.... but putting out the "no spoilers please" disclaimer as community service.

Crocodile

I haven't popped in here in a good bit but given the events of the past weekend, I felt it was important that I say/reaffirm that I love you all (as much as a dude can love a bunch cool internet strangers :p) and I pray and wish for all the good things to happen in your lives :)

D i Z

I haven't popped in here in a good bit but given the events of the past weekend, I felt it was important that I say/reaffirm that I love you all (as much as a dude can love a bunch cool internet strangers :p) and I pray and wish for all the good things to happen in your lives :)

Sounds like you know when that nuke is arriving to eradicate our asses. lol. j/k.
Miss you around here.

When the nuke comes, don't come back for the canned food.

Slayven

The Statue or Liberty in a Hijab is really fucking with some people. It was created by a high school student, and won a place on the wall of the congressman. White folks are flipping the fuck. Out. Politely but forcefully so far.

“The Statue of Liberty stands for inclusion, acceptance, and freedom,” the congressman wrote. “The young woman who painted this is trying very hard to show people that she is an American. If I took down her painting, I’d be telling the world her experiences don’t matter and she did something wrong. This is her country too, and she earned that spot on my wall.”

D i Z

That's still not good enough for them. It's an insult. She should be encouraged to do greater things, but all that's important is shutting her down. Also, the other artwork that was on his wall is pretty good too. Who the fuck is crying about artwork on a wall they never get to see?

Slayven

That's still not good enough for them. It's an insult. She should be encouraged to do greater things, but all that's important is shutting her down. Also, the other artwork that was on his wall is pretty good too. Who the fuck is crying about artwork on a wall they never get to see?

If it ain't white, it ain't right

LOL.

I still haven't still tried him yet.

after each punch, be prepared to find yourself saying about 10,000x more:

"...bitch!"

"...fuck you thinkin about???"

"...fuckouttahere kid"

"...oh you think this is a fuckin game?"

"...oh oh oh! these mothafuckas don't respect me."

"...keep acting like you don't see me, bitch!"

'''...get these mothafuckin hands then! go on and get em."

than you ordinarily would have in life or while playing any other game.

edit: and "BITCHBOIII1!!!1"

Dereck

These are the jokes I missed not coming in here more often <3
Sometimes this thread reminds me of my Highschool lunch table, everyone cracking jokes and laughing hysterically while trying to steal each other's Doritos and cheese fries when they're not lookin'.

Top Bottom