• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Keys - Turn Blue |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
cover10bdi4n.jpg

The album comes out May 13th via Nonesuch Records

Tracklist:
1. Weight of Love
2. In Time
3. Turn Blue
4. Fever
5. Year in Review
6. Bullet in the Brain
7. It's Up to You Now
8. Waiting on Words
9. 10 Lovers
10. In Our Prime
11. Gotta Get Away

Official Site
Twitter
Facebook
Youtube

iTunes STREAM

Pre-Order:
Official Site + T-Shirt
iTunes
Amazon

Latest Videos:
Surrender Your Mind (Teaser)
Lightning Breath (Teaser)
Turn Blue (Teaser)
Fever (Official Video)
Turn Blue (Official Audio)
Dan & Pat Prank Call Nonesuch Records
The Black Keys on Zane Lowe

Tour:
MAY 10
SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE
NEW YORK, NY

MAY 16
HANGOUT MUSIC FESTIVAL
GULF SHORES, AL

JUN 20
SOUTHSIDE FESTIVAL [6.20-6.22]
NEUHAUSEN, GERMANY

JUN 22
HURRICANE FESTIVAL [6.20-6.22]
SCHEESSEL, GERMANY

JUN 24
INMUSIC FESTIVAL
ZAGREB, CROATIA

JUN 25
GLASTONBURY [6.24-6.29]
PILTON, UNITED KINGDOM

JUN 27
OPEN AIR FESTIVAL
ST. GALLEN, SWITZERLAND

JUN 28
DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE FESTIVAL
EWIJK, THE NETHERLANDS

JUL 02
OPEN'ER FESTIVAL
GDYNIA, POLAND

JUL 04
MAIN SQUARE FESTIVAL
ARRAS, FRANCE

JUL 05
ROCK WERCHTER FESTIVAL
WERCHTER, BELGIUM

JUL 06
LES EUROCKENNES FESTIVAL
BELFORT, FRANCE

JUL 08
ROCK IN ROMA FESTIVAL
ROME RM, ITALY

JUL 11
OPTIMUS ALIVE FESTIVAL
LISBOA, PORTUGAL

JUL 12
BBK LIVE FESTIVAL
BILBAO, SPAIN

JUL 15
FESTIVAL DE NÎMES
NÎMES, FRANCE

JUL 17
FESTIVAL DES VIEILLES CHARRUES
CARHAIX, FRANCE

JUL 20
LATITUDE FESTIVAL
SUFFOLK, UNITED KINGDOM

JUL 22
PALEO FESTIVAL
NYON, SWITZERLAND

Previous Albums:

cover4sgdbs.jpg

iTunes
Amazon

cover2obe54.jpg

iTunes
Amazon

coverildim.jpg

iTunes
Amazon

cover5mwedr.jpg

iTunes
Amazon

cover39zeu9.jpg

iTunes
Amazon

cover6eddyh.jpg

iTunes
Amazon

cover8nxfov.jpg

iTunes
Amazon

cover99sifr.jpg

iTunes
Amazon

cover7g4db1.jpg

iTunes
Amazon

the_black_keys4wl0y.gif

Both singles grew on me and the stream is pretty damn good. Not a track I won't be messing with. The guys will be putting out another great album.

mojiimbo

Apparently they're doing a presale for the 2014 tour for people who preorder the album through the official site. Probably worth putting down $11 for the download to have dibs on floor tickets. Thanks for the heads up.

Dartastic

Just started the stream. This first track is great. Not surprised that they're putting out another fantastic record.

Just got done with the stream. I like it a lot. Not nearly as much as El Camino or Brothers on first listen, but it will be my go to record for the time being.

Soma

Fever was incredibly boring but I'll be checking this album out since I usually like most of their stuff.

amnesiac

Listened to the first few tracks earlier, liked them more than what they released for the past few albums. Will check out the whole thing later.

This is one of the most disappointing albums that I've personally ever looked forward to. It sounds like Danger Mouse's "Rome" album but with Dan from The Black Keys on vocals. I would barely even classify it as rock and roll.

My main issue is that as an album it goes absolutely no where. No ups or downs, most of the songs all sound alike both instrumentally and vocally. It's really closer to a movie soundtrack than a Black Keys album. Some of the songs would certainly hold up better on a more varied album but as it is, its extremely flat and uninspired.

I understand the urge to do new things and expand your sound but this is not the way to do it. I can't see mainstream fans and radio finding much to like here. Fever is the highlight of the album and as a whole there really aren't many stand out tracks. I'd say 3 at best but I'm inclined to say less.

Alpende

Just listened to it and it's not that bad. I expected much worse after hearing Fever. But it has way to many layers, they have to cut it down and ditch Danger Mouse. I need some Rubber Factory era Black Keys.

Wurst

I love love love the atmosphere this album conveys. There's something dreamy, yet sinister about it.

Weight of Love, In Time, Year in Review and Bullet in the Brain are amazing because of this.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Halfway through and I absolutely love it

Then again I'm a big Dangermouse and Broken Bells fan

Turn Blue is an amazing track

I enjoyed the album stream. In Time or whichever song it is has the two-note cello backing is going to get mashed up with Talk Dirty To Me so fast.

I definitely appreciate the return to the more mellowed-out Attack and Release sound, but nothing's really wowing me here.

Serious question; Did any of you who like this album listen to "Rome" from Danger Mouse?

Yeah, I like a lot of what's on Rome. It's a bit dull in spots though.

Blader

I like it, but I can definitely see how it's turning people off. There's an awful lot of bass, synth, and guitar fx for a two-man/two-piece blues rock band.

Karu

JUN 22
HURRICANE FESTIVAL [6.20-6.22]
SCHEESSEL, GERMANY
I will be here. Maybe I should check out their music. Listened to Turn Blue earlier, but didn't grab me right away (Though music rarely does)

Futureman

Its stupid that they did not allow El Camino on streaming services

I don't see why it's necessarily stupid. I don't think bands should feel bad to do this. I'm guessing it will be the same for the new album? or no announcement yet?

sant

I don't see why it's necessarily stupid. I don't think bands should feel bad to do this. I'm guessing it will be the same for the new album? or no announcement yet?

If I do not see the album on streaming services, then I am more inclined to acquire it through "other" means

It doesn't. It's further along the El Camino side of the spectrum.

Pat Carney's beats are a little more interesting this time around, at least.

The album as a whole is definitely better than I thought it would be, based on Fever . . . but I'm still not really feeling it. I hope the Keys ditch Danger Mouse because he doesn't seem to know how to play to their strengths at all, only back to his own.

amnesiac

After listening to it a couple times...

Much better than El Camino, but that isn't saying much as I hated that album. Turn Blue is much less formulaic and has interesting sound textures, even though a lot of them are very similar to the Broken Bells (whom Danger Mouse is a part of). It's nice to hear Auerbach shred against darker, trippier chord progressions.

But the problem with Turn Blue is that most of the tracks are, well, forgettable. Aside from a couple of tracks (which I will mention later), I just couldn't find a reason to play a lot of the songs a second time. In Time has an awesome slide guitar lick, however the rest of the song is just pretty mediocre... Fever, the obvious "hit" from the album, (that is pretty much a Broken Bells song) is boring until about halfway through, when the chord progression gets memorable and an awesome guitar melody ensues. I felt like this for a lot of songs on the album... a few interesting things here and there, but the songs as wholes aren't memorable.

Here are three words: Weight Of Love. What a fucking great song. Auerbach's guitar on this song is great, the eery synth is great, the double tracked vocal in certain parts is great, the whole song is just great in general. Extremely impressive start to this album, sadly nothing after this song grabbed me like it did. This is one of the Black Keys' best songs, period.

I also really enjoyed Bullet in the Brain... The time changes were interesting and the heavy guitar is pretty effective. Odd drum production, though. Sounds a bit off, can't quite place it.

So, Weight Of Love and Bullet in the Brain. What do those songs have in common? Breathe by Pink Floyd. I'm not sure if it was completely unintentional or a homage to them, but whatever. Yeah, a lot of bands use the Em-A chord progression, however the melody in Bullet in the Brain makes me question it. It's probably intentional?

JimiNutz

Banned

Disappointed :(
I know bands need to evolve their sound or whatever but the earlier sound was so much better. Brothers managed to be different but still sound like them. Really didn't like much of El Camino.

Oh well, still wish them success since they've put out so much good stuff up until now.

I like Rubber Factory, El Camino and Brothers but can't stand this album. I don't think it sounds anything like El Camino. A majority of the songs are flat, lack energy and don't really go anywhere, unlike El Camino which is definitely a rock and roll album. As I've said before, the best thing I can compare this album too is Danger Mouse's "Rome" album or a movie soundtrack.

NEW BLACK KEYS? Oh my god I didn't even know.

Even if this is like El Camino I think I'll still love it but I'd love a Rubber Factory style album, that album is amazing.

oh fuck it, their entire discography is amazing.

Jaroof

I'm loving the hell out of this album.

Brothers was my favorite Black Keys album so far... El Camino was pretty good, but I think this album is up there with Brothers.

Hylian7

My Amazon preorder downloaded last night. Been listening at work all day. I love it, it reminds me of their pre-Brothers stuff, with a bit of what made Brothers and El Camino great.

Soma

Haha was not expecting the sound on the last track. I don't think it really fits being a closing song but I like it.

Wish I could say the same for most of the album though. Definitely not bad but kinda just... forgettable.

A little disappointed in the album. I had to take a break halfway through, not big on the production.

The break I took involved Rubber Factory.

AkuAnkka

Neo Member
This album is pretty cool, the style looks different but the inspiration is always the same... That's Black Keys and they are genius

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm not too fond of it, but I haven't really liked anything since Attack and Release. Thickfreakness was the peak for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom