• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The character design for The Order: 1886 is so good.

Loakum

Banned
I'm just marveling a bit at the characters. I mean, yeah, protagonst is a white guy in his 30s... but he's such a baller looking white guy in his 30s.

And then the other three:

Knights610.jpg

It's just great, naturalistic character design with really cool, regal uniforms.

It looks great! It looks like finally games has bridged the gap between in game playable characters and CGI rendered characters.

DieH@rd

Banned
How much has RAD said about the world? I mean, I don't know much beyond the premise of the game, rebellion, and that White Chapel murders are still happening. Tech has obviously increased, but are there nation-states? Has America been settled? Has war between Germany and the rest of Europe been accelerated? Is it still coming? Is the British Empire still a thing?

I have a surprising amount of questions.

Sadly no, we don't know how the arrival of the warewolves changed the history of that world. All we know is that warewolves were winning until the arrival of industrial revolution, with semi-immortal Arthurian knights being the only effective protectors of mankind until then.

Raist

Banned
I don't think people would struggle to ID silhouettes of Solid Snake, Spiderman, Captain America, Thor, Wolverine, Iron Man, Sam Fisher, Dante, Chris Redfield & Jill Valentine, Bayonetta, The Gears of War crew, Kratos, The Master Chief, Kazuya or Heihachi, Ryu & Ken, Commander Shepherd, any of the AC protagonists (as at least belonging to that series), Scorpion/Sub-zero, Batman, Darth Vader, adult Link, Lara Croft, or the Helghast.

When people speak of "generic" character designs, they generally mean you could swap out any number of people and insert them and no one would notice the difference. Most videogame protagonists are generic by design, allowing the player to fill in the blanks. I doubt there's much fan art dedicated to Nathan Hale, that guy from Far Cry 3, or Wii Fit girl.

The vast majority of these have easily identifiable accessories and the like. It doesn't necessarily make them good, inspired or iconic.

Oppo

the thing I like about these designs is that they actually look half-practical, and clearly started from a historical baseline and mutated slightly from there based on the "divergence" in the fictional history. I mean Kenway and Ezio looked cool but they'd sound like a bag of forks falling down the stairs if they actually tried to run in those getups. kenway has 2 swords and 4 guns on his chest ferfexsake.

this seems more reasonable and still alt-period appropriate.

also the characters themselves don't look like models, nor do they look stylized ala Gears. very realistic. even the woman is not the classical "beauty" as we have come to see them all too often; she's much more severe and austere.

so I appreciate the odd grounding in reality of the design of this fantasy game.

shpankey

not an idiot
I agree, they are a marvel and just one of the reasons this is my most anticipated game in many years. It oozes soul.

steven28

Ru weerasuriya really reminds me of rza for some reason,he doesn't really look like him but everytime i see ru i think rza lol.

Since this is based on Arthurian legend, I wonder if that means we'll be seeing Merlin or Morgan le Fay or their analogs in this world.

I mean, maybe Tesla is codenamed "Merlin"?

Is King Arthur the leader of the country? Does the King of England take the name "Arthur" like Roman emperors would call themselves Caeser?

1. You appear more worked up about this than anyone who brought up the characters being white.

2. I love how the ethnicity/sex of the main characters in games is the one part of the developer's "vision" that's not allowed to be question. This forum wouldn't exist if we weren't allowed to question the decisions that developers make but when it comes to character ethnicity/sex/gender, we're supposed to shut up about it and just accept whatever we're presented. That's interesting.
Did you read my response to you? I was hoping you'd respond. I definitely never told you to shut up and accept what you're presented, I made a case against tokenism.

charsace

Well, they are historically accurate. Why include minorities in this game? Lol...

Disclaimer: I am a minority irl.

The designs look nice. I don't see the Assassins Creed comparisons at all but to each their own.

Can't get more generic than this for sure:

assassins-creed-characters.jpg

Alternate costumers and all that...
WTF? AC's assassin design is iconic.

Arno's recent costumes are boss.
assassins-creed-unity.jpg

And this isn't his Master Assassin's costume which looks even better.

jmood88

No. The game is based on Arthurian legend. She's Lady Igraine, an established character in legend.
That makes sense, then.
Putting in a minority just because you feel like the game needs one when it doesn't fit the theme of high-class British warriors working for the king is ridiculous. You will find few people who are stronger proponents of increased diversity in games than me, but that does not mean every game needs a rainbow-colored cast. Insisting they be there just to increase diversity (especially when it clashes with the setting) is tokenism. Your argument that because the setting has some fantastical aspects that there is no need to follow the other rules of the time is nonsense.
You know what else clashes with the setting? Guns that can't exist in 2014. The lengths you and others will go to justify all the bullshit in this game yet at the same time justify excluding non-white characters because of historical accuracy are pretty amazing.
The werewolves and futuristic weapons are the defining features of the setting, not afterthoughts shoved in for no reason. They perfectly fit the game's internal logic. What you are proposing does not.
There's no reason why it couldn't fit the logic of a game that is so willing to be ahistorical with its basic premise. And who said or suggested anything about throwing characters in for the sake of having them in the game? Nowhere did I say that the game had to have non-white characters, I was speaking against the belief that it is somehow fine to have any other fantastical and ahistorical element in the game but it is an unbelievable stretch to include non-white protagonists in a city that had non-whites living in it at the time in which the game is set. There is no reason why they couldn't include a non-white character and justify their inclusion in the game any more than they could include futuristic weapons and monsters that have never existed.
The world is well thought out, so adding minorities to a group of immortal upper class English warriors would require massive changes to the lore that alter the purpose it is trying to achieve.
No, it wouldn't at all.

There number of non-whites in England when The Order was founded (probably around 900-1200 AD) was extremely small and insignificant. In Victorian England, the only non-whites in any notable numbers were some small, lower-class immigrants from China and India.
The number of magic potions allowing those characters to live for hundreds of years was 0, yet there wasn't a problem including that in the game's lore. You mean to tell me they can do that but saying that a Moor, Asian, or whatever couldn't have joined The Order without everything falling apart?
Adding them to the main cast of characters would be preposterous when they would certainly be extremely poor and class conflict is an important part of the setting. Their only place would be as rebel leaders, and then you'd still have the unbelievable situation of Victorian white people willingly following non-white immigrants. There's not really any way to have it make sense without compromising the purpose of the setting, and for a game that's trying so hard to craft a specific believable world with a convincing story, that would be a mistake.
Like I said earlier, it's a shame that you can look at a story with so much made-up nonsense in it but the possibility of one or two non-white characters is somehow the one thing that would mess that up. Do you understand how crazy that sounds? They have werewolves and magical fountain of youth potions but man, there is no possible way that in their fictional world with no limits but their own imagination that there could've been a non-white character who was a part of the aristocracy.

Beefy

Since this is based on Arthurian legend, I wonder if that means we'll be seeing Merlin or Morgan le Fay or their analogs in this world.

I mean, maybe Tesla is codenamed "Merlin"?

Is King Arthur the leader of the country? Does the King of England take the name "Arthur" like Roman emperors would call themselves Caeser?

Or Merlin creates the weapons?

IcyEyes

No one has said they hate the game, or even anything close to that. Apart from the one guy who implied that they played it and then never returned to the thread. People claim that it's just 'thread-shitting' to give some legitimate criticisms about the character designs, and then become incredibly defensive themselves with condescending remarks that it's whining. Most of the complaints have honestly been pretty reasonable if you ask me.
I don't get why certain games are supposed to get a free pass in criticism on GAF. This kind of tribalism is really silly.

I think these sorts of threads are always going to be bad news, regardless of the subject, because anything prior to a game's release is going to attract multiple varying opinions. We have barely anything to go on, since R.A.D haven't really shown off much. So all we're left with is to scrutinize what we do know.

As much as I would want this game to do well for the developers and enjoy critical success, it honestly looks like it's suffering from Killzone Syndrome - Splendid visuals that fail to disguise the middle of the road gameplay mechanics. And whilst I do appreciate their technical vision, it's not enough to get me hyped. And when there is a lack of hype, it becomes very easy to pick at the other niggling factors.

I do hope for the people excited for the game, that it's a pleasant surprise, but you have to be reasonable and accept that maybe these threads occasionally go this route because for a lot of others, it doesn't...actually...look very exciting. Be that the gameplay, character designs, etc. And that may be because many have become weary of games not really reaching far enough, or sequel fatigue or a various number of other reasons.

Nice post, but I really disagree with you about Killzone.
Killzone 2 was one of the most remarkable FPS of the previous generation, both in graphics and gameplay. Killzone was one of the few game with a strong, own "personality" and I swear, 5+ years later I still have this game in my "eyes".

Ps I agree with most of you, Galahad looks more in the mid of his 40s, if not in his 50s.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I'm impressed with the graphics but where is the story? where is the exciting gameplay? graphics dont make a game entirely. they help, but the meat of the game is the story and gameplay and the order 1886 has shown neither of those to be exciting so far.

iBIKMPPrK877A.png

OEGbGmC.jpg

same here.

vJU0SKI.gif

The attention to detail is absolutely staggering. The way the chair continues to spin correctly when shoved by the Half Breed, the way Galahad quickly checks over his shoulder to make sure hes not going to run into something, the shadows .... just ridiculous attention to detail.

That makes sense, then.

You know what else clashes with the setting? Guns that can't exist in 2014. The lengths you and others will go to justify all the bullshit in this game yet at the same time justify excluding non-white characters because of historical accuracy are pretty amazing.

There's no reason why it couldn't fit the logic of a game that is so willing to be ahistorical with its basic premise. And who said or suggested anything about throwing characters in for the sake of having them in the game? Nowhere did I say that the game had to have non-white characters, I was speaking against the belief that it is somehow fine to have any other fantastical and ahistorical element in the game but it is an unbelievable stretch to include non-white protagonists in a city that had non-whites living in it at the time in which the game is set. There is no reason why they couldn't include a non-white character and justify their inclusion in the game any more than they could include futuristic weapons and monsters that have never existed.

No, it wouldn't at all.

The number of magic potions allowing those characters to live for hundreds of years was 0, yet there wasn't a problem including that in the game's lore. You mean to tell me they can do that but saying that a Moor, Asian, or whatever couldn't have joined The Order without everything falling apart?

Like I said earlier, it's a shame that you can look at a story with so much made-up nonsense in it but the possibility of one or two non-white characters is somehow the one thing that would mess that up. Do you understand how crazy that sounds? They have werewolves and magical fountain of youth potions but man, there is no possible way that in their fictional world with no limits but their own imagination that there could've been a non-white character who was a part of the aristocracy.
A non white character in the aristocracy would change the entire nature of the aristocracy. It would mean people (especially the disadvantaged) could somehow become parts of it. That ruins the entire purpose of the class conflict.

Your argument is based on the premise that every game must have a non-white character in a primary role. That is tokenism. It is not actual meaningful diversity. What you should be advocating for is an end to the automatic exclusion of minorities. When it makes sense to have them, they should not be excluded. The issue is that the trend in gaming is to exclude minorities because they are forgotten about or intentionally ignored. There can be situations where the people should be of one race. Or would you say in a movie about civil rights, some of FBI agents writing against the movement should be black for diversity? If this were not based on Victorian England but instead an entirely fantastical made up world, I'd agree with you. But it's not.

The premise of the setting is simple: Victorian London with werewolves and crazy weapons. Not Victorian London with werewolves and crazy weapons and a more egalitarian history. In fact, the realistic oppression is integral to the story. Changing things like the social inequality undermines the story and makes the fantastical statements less fantastical. They stand out because the rest of the setting is so realistic. It is possible that an artistic vision has certain racial requirements. This one does and for good reason. Most games do not have a good reason for such exclusion and should be called out. Although to focus on one game misses the point. It's about trends, not individual games.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I am not really fond of turning this thread into a discussion about such thing - since it derails the thread from the subject that is the Order 1886, and NOT Assassins Creed, but then again, I was the one that said they're generic in response to another post - a bait post I might add.

So what you're saying is, you think the characters all look the same as each other? Okay, well, that's not what I meant (or, I think, what anybody really means), when they say that the characters look generic. We mean, rather, that they're typical of character designs in general, not just that all of the characters in the game have similar elements (such as hoods, etc.).

Moreoever, Altaïr, Ezio, and Desmond all had the same face because of some weird Animus convention that they quietly dropped when they got to ACIII. So in that sense, three out of the six characters you've posted deliberately have the same facial features.

jmood88

A non white character in the aristocracy would change the entire nature of the aristocracy. It would mean people (especially the disadvantaged) could somehow become parts of it. That ruins the entire purpose of the class conflict.
If a movie like Belle could be made without Hollywood collapsing, then this game and it's ridiculous premise would be fine.

Your argument is based on the premise that every game must have a non-white character in a primary role.
That's not even close to being true. My argument is that you can't throw out history for everything else, then complain that having a non-white character wouldn't fit because it's a historical.
That is tokenism. It is not actual meaningful diversity. What you should be advocating for is an end to the automatic exclusion of minorities. When it makes sense to have them, they should not be excluded.
Why does it have to "make sense" to have a non-white character but white characters can be all over the world, in any time period, with no issue? For one, if we held non-white characters to the same standard as white ones, then there would be very few white characters in games. Secondly, this is fantasy. None of this is real and the only limitation is imagination.

The issue is that the trend in gaming is to exclude minorities because they are forgotten about or intentionally ignored. There can be situations where the people should be of one race. Or would you say in a movie about civil rights, some of FBI agents writing against the movement should be black for diversity? If this were not based on Victorian England but instead an entirely fantastical made up world, I'd agree with you. But it's not.
If there was a movie about civil rights in the US where the antagonist ended up being cthulu, then I would let some a discrepancy or two slide since the creators obviously aren't making a documentary. Whether you want to accept it or not, this is a completely made up world. The premise of this game is a fantasy, the characters are fantastical, and the antagonists never existed. Just because there's Victorian England set-dressing, that doesn't make it something grounded in reality.

The premise of the setting is simple: Victorian London with werewolves and crazy weapons. Not Victorian London with werewolves and crazy weapons and a more egalitarian history. In fact, the realistic oppression is integral to the story. Changing things like the social inequality undermines the story and makes the fantastical statements less fantastical. They stand out because the rest of the setting is so realistic. It is possible that an artistic vision has certain racial requirements. This one does and for good reason. Most games do not have a good reason for such exclusion and should be called out. Although to focus on one game misses the point. It's about trends, not individual games.
They aren't beholden to any real sense of history and, like I've said over and over again, there is absolutely nothing stopping them from making a justification for why one of the characters isn't white other than their lack of imagination. But like I said before, I'm not necessarily talking about this game needing to have non-white protagonists, I'm speaking against the arguments that you and others are making (and constantly make when diversity is brought up) when the lack of diversity was mentioned. In a game where the developers are willing to bend physics and historical fact, nothing can stop them from making an allowance for a character not being white and it is absolutely amazing that someone who claims to be a champion for diversity in games can't see that.

Loakum

Banned
iBIKMPPrK877A.png

OEGbGmC.jpg

The attention to detail is absolutely staggering. The way the chair continues to spin correctly when shoved by the Half Breed, the way Galahad quickly checks over his shoulder to make sure hes not going to run into something, the shadows .... just ridiculous attention to detail.

I agree! It's like a CGI movie, but that's actual gameplay! 2015 can't get here quick enough!

Etnos

Banned
Not sure they look kind of too "historical" lets say, I imagine they would fit perfectly in a wax museum. Not sure if that is what I want from a videogame.

For a supposedly steam punk game they could have been more creative I think.

OsirisBlack

Banned

I think this has already been touched on but during this time period any minorities would have more than likely been considered lower class citizens or even servants. Putting them in your party as a lead character would have added a completely different feel to the entirety of the story. Saying it would not is being disingenuous.

I agree there needs to be more representation of minorities and women in video games in general but forcing someone in just for the sake of would be a disservice. There are a lot of opportunities for racial diversity if this series continues, maybe in the Order 786.

ryanofcall

That's true! But I'm a sucker for victorian London artsy stuff anyway.
Too bad it's totally boring to play, so far though :(
based on Gamescom Demo

That's not even close to being true. My argument is that you can't throw out history for everything else, then complain that having a non-white character wouldn't fit because it's a historical.

Why does it have to "make sense" to have a non-white character but white characters can be all over the world, in any time period, with no issue? For one, if we held non-white characters to the same standard as white ones, then there would be very few white characters in games. Secondly, this is fantasy. None of this is real and the only limitation is imagination.

If there was a movie about civil rights in the US where the antagonist ended up being cthulu, then I would let some a discrepancy or two slide since the creators obviously aren't making a documentary. Whether you want to accept it or not, this is a completely made up world. The premise of this game is a fantasy, the characters are fantastical, and the antagonists never existed. Just because there's Victorian England set-dressing, that doesn't make it something grounded in reality.

They aren't beholden to any real sense of history and, like I've said over and over again, there is absolutely nothing stopping them from making a justification for why one of the characters isn't white other than their lack of imagination. But like I said before, I'm not necessarily talking about this game needing to have non-white protagonists, I'm speaking against the arguments that you and others are making (and constantly make when diversity is brought up) when the lack of diversity was mentioned. In a game where the developers are willing to bend physics and historical fact, nothing can stop them from making an allowance for a character not being white and it is absolutely amazing that someone who claims to be a champion for diversity in games can't see that.
It has to make sense because their entire goal is to create a cohesive setting. In order to have a compelling story, it needs to be internally consistent. And you're putting words in my mouth. White people being all over the world in all time periods is an issue. If i made a game in ancient Africa, I sure as shit wouldn't add an Asian shaman for diversity because it wouldn't make sense and would be a distraction. This is white people being the aristocracy in England. They are beholden to real history, because real history with a twist is their entire premise. Every time they talk about the setting, they stress historical accuracy in politics and the city itself. Adding a minority would actually be a creative compromise. It would require an explanation that alters the nature of their setting. It is objectively not a completely made up world. London exists. The Victorian era existed. Tesla existed. They are very much not throwing out history for everything else. You're ignoring the entire purpose of the game. Why not direct this energy at games where there isn't a very clear and realistic reason for the lack of diversity? Like Call of Duty, which does not feature a black protagonist our primary characters where they obviously should because the military is full of black people? You chose one of the few games where it actually makes a lot of sense to have an all white cast. Where having minorities would undermine the class conflict and setting.

Also, if you aren't saying every single game needs a diverse lineup characters, what's the issue? Why insist on bending the setting and the story to add someone? The setting is very intentionally put together and allowing black people into the ruling class would require a lot of changes to those rules.

The character design was actually the least interesting thing about this game for me. They all look eerily similar to Captain Price from Modern Warfare.

In an era of some of the least creative character design, they do look interesting. But I still think they are feeding off of the typical shooter design too much.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think this has already been touched on but during this time period any minorities would have more than likely been considered lower class citizens or even servants. Putting them in your party as a lead character would have added a completely different feel to the entirety of the story. Saying it would not is being disingenuous.

You can say that for any element though. The fact that the characters are who they are leads to a completely different feel than if they weren't. Like...whats your point?

Nice post, but I really disagree with you about Killzone.
Killzone 2 was one of the most remarkable FPS of the previous generation, both in graphics and gameplay. Killzone was one of the few game with a strong, own "personality" and I swear, 5+ years later I still have this game in my "eyes".

Ps I agree with most of you, Galahad looks more in the mid of his 40s, if not in his 50s.

That's probably my own failing, since I never played 2! That comparison was mostly based off my experience with Shadow Fall & 3 to some extent.

raven777

Yea I played the demo at the gameshow yesterday and I thought the graphic was fantastic and I really liked the character design.

Yea I played the demo at the gameshow yesterday and I thought the graphic was fantastic and I really liked the character design.
Was it the same demo in the alley where you drag the dude?
You can say that for any element though. The fact that the characters are who they are leads to a completely different feel than if they weren't. Like...whats your point?
Isn't that obvious? You'd be telling a very different story if you had different characters. Ru has a story he wants to tell and it requires the characters he made for it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love the clothing design for this game. It looks like it's made out of heavy materials for protection from the cold and enemies while still being regal in appearance.

Was it the same demo in the alley where you drag the dude?
That's the only demo until PSX.

Top Bottom