• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

omgkitty

About Criterion

Since 1984, the Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, has been dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Over the years, as we moved from laserdisc to DVD, Blu-ray disc, and online streaming, we’ve seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema for a wider and wider audience. The foundation of the collection is the work of such masters of cinema as Renoir, Godard, Kurosawa, Cocteau, Fellini, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock, Fuller, Lean, Kubrick, Lang, Sturges, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Ozu, Sirk, Buñuel, Powell and Pressburger. Each film is presented uncut, in its original aspect ratio, as its maker intended it to be seen. Every time we start work on a film, we track down the best available film elements in the world, use state-of-the-art telecine equipment and a select few colorists capable of meeting our rigorous standards, then take time during the film-to-video digital transfer to create the most pristine possible image and sound. Whenever possible, we work with directors and cinematographers to ensure that the look of our releases does justice to their intentions. Our supplements enable viewers to appreciate Criterion films in context, through audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director’s cuts, deleted scenes, documentaries, shooting scripts, early shorts, and storyboards. To date, more than 150 filmmakers have made our library of Director Approved DVDs, Blu-ray discs, and laserdiscs the most significant archive of contemporary filmmaking available to the home viewer.

tumblr_m9fjywKcvK1qjonawo1_400.gif

Releases for 2013 - New releases are announced on the 15th of every month.

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

Criterion_Eclipse_Sm.jpg

Eclipse
Eclipse is a selection of lost, forgotten, or overshadowed classics in simple, affordable editions. Each series is a brief cinematheque retrospective for the adventurous home viewer.

April 2013
Eclipse Series 38: Masaki Kobayashi Against the System
ThickWalledRoom_box_w100.jpg
IWillBuyYou_box_w100.jpg
BlackRiver_box_w100.jpg
Inheritance_box_w100.jpg

August 2013
Eclipse Series 39: Early Fassbinder
LoveIsColderThanDeath_box_w100.jpg
Katzelmacher_box_w100.jpg
GodsOfThePlague_box_w100.jpg
AmericanSoldier_box_w100.jpg
BewareOfAHolyWhore_box_w100.jpg

My Criterion (If you wan't to be added, just ask)
My Criterion allows you to share information about yourself on the site, including which titles you want and which ones you own, as well as to write notes about the films on your lists.

AlternativeUlster
Alucrid
Az987
BenjaminBirdie
Borgnine
codhand
Dragoon En Regalia
Eric WK
FnordChan
Help Me!
improvise5
Kellen
NekoFever
ngower
ohhthegore
omgkitty
Ridley327
sefskillz
Spocker
suffah
swoon

Dig deeper into the Criterion Collection
Criterion's YouTube Page - Criterion posts tons of great videos, including their 3 Reasons for most of their titles.
Criterion Collection Facebook Page
Criterion Collection Twitter

CriterionCast - Possibly the best Criterion podcast on the internet.
Criterion Corner - David Ehrlich writes for Movies.com about Criterion films several times a month.
CriterionForum - The best Criterion-focused forum.
The Criterion Forums - A new alternative Criterion forum.
DVDBeaver - Blu-ray reviews, including comparison screenshots with older releases.
Criterion Collection on Hulu - Criterion signed an exclusive streaming deal with Hulu, with Hulu carrying most of their films for Hulu Plus users.
The Criterion Contraption - This man is on a mission to watch every single film Criterion has released.

2010/2011 Thread
2009 Thread
2007/2008 Thread

Ridley327

Their pending release slate could make this one of the craziest years yet for them, and I still haven't even gotten around to picking up all that I wanted from 2011's batch.

Gozan

Hey, they finally got some Hideo Gosha out. Now all they need is the rest of Asia (except Japan 1950-1970).

Not big into the Criterion scene but I absolutely loved La Jetee. One of my favorite movies. (and it should be no surprise that 12 Monkeys is as well)

Seriously though..... they really should release some Warhol stuff.
Or at least just Chelsea Girls.

The title "Three Popular Films by Jean-Pierre Gorin" is hilarious!

Sleepy

Great OP! Thanks for the "dig deeper" links, much appreciated. I just stumbled on the Criterion Contraption a few days ago. That guy's reviews/essays are amazing.

Quick question about the Eclipse line: Are the transfers used for this line remastered/restored?

Just thought of another question: I am pretty new to collecting these...On older movies is there much difference between the DVD transfer and the Blu-ray transfer? Or, is the Blu transfer that much of an improvement?

omgkitty

Great OP! Thanks for the "dig deeper" links, much appreciated. I just stumbled on the Criterion Contraption a few days ago. That guy's reviews/essays are amazing.

Quick question about the Eclipse line: Are the transfers used for this line remastered/restored?

Just thought of another question: I am pretty new to collecting these...On older movies is there much difference between the DVD transfer and the Blu-ray transfer? Or, is the Blu transfer that much of an improvement?

The films in the Eclipse line are not in the normal Criterion collection. They don't have spine numbers. Criterion will always restore and do what they can for most the films they use.

The difference between DVD and Blu is the difference between SD and HD. This can mean different things for different films. If you go to DVDBeaver (there is a link in the OP) and look for whatever film you're interested in, they do screen caps for all the films they review and they review rereleases onto Blu, so they have comparisons for all the films released so far.

Goody

Hopefully we'll finally see some more Monte Hellman this year. A Blu-Ray for Two-Lane Blacktop would be great, but I really hope to see the Jack Nicholson acid Westerns this year. A dream come true would be Cockfighter.

^
Speaking of which a comprehensive and complete edition of One-Eyed Jacks would be pretty amazing, though has about as much chance of a restored Magnificent Ambersons :(

xbhaskarx

Does anyone here ever been tempted to buy a Criterion version of a movie they have never seen, just because they love the cover?
For me that happened years ago with Bob Le Flambeur, I watched it and it was indeed awesome, so I bought it.

Amalthea

Banned
I have a general question; how does the overall picture quality of the Criterion DVD's compare to their respective Blu-Ray counterparts?

Risette

A Good Citizen
So I was flipping through Amazon JP today and discovered that Japan has a shit ton of Kurosawa BDs and we have like 4 total. I'd figure I'd make this post in the spirit of the thread title. :p Is Toho a hard company to work with for licensors or something? I really just found this out and was like wow. How come they haven't been brought over yet ;_; Also none of them have English subs so importing is out of the question.

Japan has (I excluded the ones that have been brought over here, they have all of those too):
Red Beard
The Lower Depths
Drunken Angel
Throne of Blood
One Wonderful Sunday
I Live in Fear
The Bad Sleep Well
Dodes'ka-Den
The Hidden Fortress
Stray Dog
The Quiet Duel
Ikiru
Rashomon (not Toho, Kadokawa)

I know Toho's Seven Samurai release was ass, but they seem to have stepped their game up. A few of them have mediocre-to-bad PQ, but a few of them look pretty good too. Example: Throne of Blood screenshot, Red Beard screenshot

Criterion better give us more Kurosawa BDs this year!

Grimmy

Banned
TINY FURNITURE is a Criterion??? That's an even bigger joke than Armageddon being on Criterion.
The film has zero cultural impact - even to American indies.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The Criterion titles I'm looking forward to are The Last Temptation of Christ (always wanted to see that one) and their next Need for Speed title (Hot Pursuit was soooooooooo awesome).

Amalthea

Banned
So I was flipping through Amazon JP today and discovered that Japan has a shit ton of Kurosawa BDs and we have like 4 total. I'd figure I'd make this post in the spirit of the thread title. :p Is Toho a hard company to work with for licensors or something? I really just found this out and was like wow. How come they haven't been brought over yet ;_; Also none of them have English subs so importing is out of the question.
[/url]

Oh yeah, Toho can be dickish beyond belief.

omgkitty

Does anyone here ever been tempted to buy a Criterion version of a movie they have never seen, just because they love the cover?
For me that happened years ago with Bob Le Flambeur, I watched it and it was indeed awesome, so I bought it.

My issue is that I seem to buy a lot of Criterions based solely on covers or here say. Half of my Criterion collection are films I haven't even seen yet.

I have a general question; how does the overall picture quality of the Criterion DVD's compare to their respective Blu-Ray counterparts?

If you go to DVDBeaver (there's a link in the OP) they have comparison shots on their reviews.

Rainy Dog

Hey, they finally got some Hideo Gosha out. Now all they need is the rest of Asia (except Japan 1950-1970).

Yep, you'd think Criterion were blissfully unaware the Japanese still made films (and equally great and relevant films at that) after Ran. Their release of Lee Chang-dong's Secret Sunshine was a lovely surprise last year, though.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Is Three Outlaw Samurai any good? Is there any reason why it has a lower MSRP than any other title?

Preordered Godzilla BD. Can't wait!

Snaku

Banned
I only have Godzilla on pre-order. I've been waiting so long for that film to get the Criterion treatment, and for the King of the Monsters cut to be getting the same treatment just sweetens the package all the more. For once, America will get the superior home video release of a Godzilla film.

Ridley327

I don't know if it was in the old thread, but I had read an article about how Criterion put out an APB on a different print for Godzilla than the one that's been in use and managed to get one that was better than what Toho had on hand. Outside of full-on restoration, I can't imagine it getting any better than that.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I don't know if it was in the old thread, but I had read an article about how Criterion put out an APB on a different print for Godzilla than the one that's been in use and managed to get one that was better than what Toho had on hand. Outside of full-on restoration, I can't imagine it getting any better than that.
That was for the American version. It was a 35mm fine grain preservation print (not meant to be projected/shown; only for preservation purposes), which is very good quality and it's amazing that someone even had one. Apparently the American version of Godzilla had become somewhat "lost" and for a long time (until Criterion acquired the one they have) the best known sources were incomplete 16mm reduction prints of the TV airing transfer. I'd imagine that a few 35mm theatrical prints probably exist with a number collectors but they probably stay in the dark about it out of fear of getting it confiscated by Toho or whomever, which I hear happens, especially with Godzilla-related things.

They used the interpositive from Toho for the main Japanese feature.
gojira-criterion-film-can.jpg

According to some blog the label reads: “Dupe Posi(tive): GODZILLA. Reel 2 of 10 Reels. Toho Company, Ltd.”

BearChair

I would really like to see Ikiru and Two Lane Blacktop come out of Blu Ray. I skipped the Two Lane Blacktop Criterion DVD that came out about 2 years ago, and I hope it comes from them to Blu Ray.

Ridley327

It's weird to see any company go nuts about other prints, but Godzilla is to Toho as Mario is to Nintendo, so I think their over-protectiveness is somewhat warranted.

Shiv47

In case no one notices the hints: they've figured out Shallow Grave, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Eating Raoul, Quadrophenia (kinda surprised they didn't try to have it out in time for the re-release of the album), Harold & Maude, Being John Malkovich, Summer with Monika, Lonesome, Week-End and an upgrade for the Samurai Trilogy. They're still working on the other clues.

Rosemary's Baby has also been mentioned since the "Maude" drawing is wearing a necklace like Ruth Gordon wore in that film.

Ridley327

Oh man, Criterion finishing off Polanski's Apartment Trilogy would be a dream come true.

Paramount giving up on their back catalog beyond the obvious titles sure has been a boon to companies like Criterion.

Shiv47

Oh man, Criterion finishing off Polanski's Apartment Trilogy would be a dream come true.

Paramount giving up on their back catalog beyond the obvious titles sure has been a boon to companies like Criterion.

Yeah, it's sort of like going back to the laserdisc days when Criterion had all kinds of stuff they never had on DVD. Too bad Warners isn't so free and easy with their catalog stuff.

Top Bottom