• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

Snaku

Banned
Eg9NY.jpg

....wow Criterion. Was it really too hard to get a picture of the Godzilla that is in the film you are releasing?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Can anyone here give me some opinions on:

The Magician
Pale Flower

? They both caught my eye although I can't find much about them. So yeah.

Also bought Branded to Kill and Kuroneko the other day.

Eg9NY.jpg

....wow Criterion. Was it really too hard to get a picture of the Godzilla that is in the film you are releasing?
Is Criterion reverting back to digipacks for their Blu-ray releases? I have seen a couple of the more recent releases with digipacks and it is kind of making me hesitate in purchasing them because they ruin the conformity of my other Criterion Blu-ray releases on the shelf. /OCD

Is Criterion reverting back to digipacks for their Blu-ray releases? I have seen a couple of the more recent releases with digipacks and it is kind of making me hesitate in purchasing them because they ruin the conformity of my other Criterion Blu-ray releases on the shelf. /OCD

It depends on the movie I think. I know Breathless is one. but Rushmore, for instance is not.

lol, its like 1 minute longer than the original cut

a good directors cut doesn't just shove other stuff in there to expand the length. I don't know what the changes are, but conceivably, with editing, they could add numerous things without actually impacting the runtime (by either tightening up the editing or removing certain scenes in favor of the other ones)

Dead

well not really...yet
a good directors cut doesn't just shove other stuff in there to expand the length. I don't know what the changes are, but conceivably, with editing, they could add numerous things without actually impacting the runtime (by either tightening up the editing or removing certain scenes in favor of the other ones)
Yeah, this is none of those things

Risette

A Good Citizen
Pale Flower is great. Pretty sure you'd like it.

Is The Magician the Bergman movie? That I've never seen.
Good to hear, put it on the The List.
(ie, I'll probably buy it tomorrow or in the next few days or so since I've been buying things like crazy lately.)

Yeah, the Bergman one. I haven't seen any of his stuff yet so I'm looking for a title of his to start with.

omgkitty

Can anyone here give me some opinions on:

The Magician
Pale Flower

? They both caught my eye although I can't find much about them. So yeah.

Also bought Branded to Kill and Kuroneko the other day.

I really enjoy The Magician. It's one of my favorite Bergman films. It's about on par with my other favorites of Wild Strawberries and Smiles of a Summer Night. Definitely worth picking up. I've seen Pale Flower, and I think it's something you should watch first before buying.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I really enjoy The Magician. It's one of my favorite Bergman films. It's about on par with my other favorites of Wild Strawberries and Smiles of a Summer Night. Definitely worth picking up. I've seen Pale Flower, and I think it's something you should watch first before buying.
I see. The description for The Magician + the screenshots giving me an idea for its aesthetics seems like it'd be something I'd like, glad to hear it's good. Will also add it to the list.

I'll trust icarus on Pale Flower and go into it blind because our tastes align pretty well and her recommendations haven't done me wrong.
Except for The Thin Red Line, blerk. But that was the collective fault of icarus/firehawk/Lafiel/everyoneelsethattoldmeitwasgood :<
Oh, awesome.
I love spending your money for you. ;p

I'll have to look over the list of Bergman titles in the catalogue and get back to you on that; having a brain fart atm.
It's
my parents money.
:D

Lafiel told me that Seventh Seal was a good place to start, but The Magician seems like something I'd like more (as stated above!) so I'll probably end up going with that.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Lafiel told me that Seventh Seal was a good place to start, but The Magician seems like something I'd like more (as stated above!) so I'll probably end up going with that.

Generally speaking, when someone is interested in exploring a director's work for the first time, I advise to start at the beginning (or thereabouts). That said, Seventh Seal was my first Bergman way back when and it didn't really strike my fancy (still isn't one of my favorites of his). Hour of the Wolf is where Bergman bowled me over even though it's not very representative of the rest of his films. From there on, it all clicked tighter and tighter into place the more of them I watched.

omgkitty

Generally speaking, when someone is interested in exploring a director's work for the first time, I advise to start at the beginning (or thereabouts). That said, Seventh Seal was my first Bergman way back when and it didn't really strike my fancy (still isn't one of my favorites of his). Hour of the Wolf is where Bergman bowled me over even though it's not very representative of the rest of his films. From there on, it all clicked tighter and tighter into place the more of them I watched.

That's exactly how I feel about Seventh Seal. I like the movie, but it just wasn't that classic I was expecting. I do feel the more of his films I watch, the better they get.

I think Wild Strawberries is maybe the best Bergman to start with, as it has the same thematic concerns as many of his other films but with a warmth that aids the transition from the emotional closeness of most other films.

cory.

Banned
I have The Seventh Seal but I haven't explored anything else of his.
I think with certain directors it's more important to watch chronologically than others, but seeing The Tree of Life first really framed The Thin Red Line in such an amazing way, and I think it will be the same effect when I watch Malick's 3 other films.

I just watched Polanski's Repulsion. Very dark and disturbing at times. Not much dialogue, good use of sound effects to increase the creepiness of some scenes, and camera work as well. I enjoyed it overall. Any thoughts, Criterion-GAF?

Lf0iO.jpg

Sleepy

I just watched Polanski's Repulsion. Very dark and disturbing at times. Not much dialogue, good use of sound effects to increase the creepiness of some scenes, and camera work as well. I enjoyed it overall. Any thoughts, Criterion-GAF?

Lf0iO.jpg

LOVED it. I thought the meat as symbolic of Carole's mental decay was especially powerful. Deneuve was superb.

Just watched Rushmore Blu. Very good, but I felt some of the cinematography was a bit too dark in spots. And there was some weird stretching in some scenes. Incredible film, though. Anyone else have issues with the above?

LOVED it. I thought the meat as symbolic of Carole's mental decay was especially powerful. Deneuve was superb.

Just watched Rushmore Blu. Very good, but I felt some of the cinematography was a bit too dark in spots. And there was some weird stretching in some scenes. Incredible film, though. Anyone else have issues with the above?

There's some stretching in spots along the edges due to the lenses in that movie, IIRC. Is that what you meant?

Sleepy

There's some stretching in spots along the edges due to the lenses in that movie, IIRC. Is that what you meant?

At the beginning when the camera pans to the Rushmore sign, and I noticed it in a few other places. It seemed like the aspect ratios were a bit off. If that makes any sense.

Sleepy

Damn--I was hoping for Malkovich.

Birdie: If you get a chance look back on the last page, as I followed up on the Rushmore conversation.

Top Bottom