• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

Ridley327

They threw up hints for Abbas Kiarostami's Certified Copy and Bergman's Summer Interlude. The full announcement should be coming shortly.

Ridley327

And here they are:

tumblr_lzib7bTmJV1qa6obyo1_400.jpg

tumblr_lzib7bTmJV1qa6obyo3_400.jpg

tumblr_lzib7bTmJV1qa6obyo4_400.jpg

tumblr_lzib7bTmJV1qa6obyo5_400.jpg

The requisite Blu upgrade:

tumblr_lzib7bTmJV1qa6obyo2_400.jpg

And finally, the new Eclipse set:

Downey_3D_slipcase.png

Zia

Some very exciting announcements, as it's good to see they reconsidered Certified Copy, minor Bergman is still Bergman and La Haine is one of my favorite guilty pleasures, but Christ, those covers are amateurish.

Ridley327

I like the concept behind the Being John Malkovich art, but the execution is sorely lacking.

The Certified Copy art is straight-up awful.

Sleepy

Check out the liner notes for Malkovitch:

PLUS: A booklet featuring a conversation between Jonze and pop-culture critic Perkus Tooth

Hilarious.

EDIT: How are those Bergman films. I absolutely loved The Seventh Seal. Puzzled where to turn next.

Ridley327

You could take literally any frame out of Fantastic Planet and it would make for great box art. It may be animated like a 80s TV anime, but it's still incredible to look at.

swoon

I'm totally stoked that Putney Swope is now part of the Criterion Collection. I encourage folks to dig the not safe for work but decidedly awesome trailer.

FnordChan

i'm kinda bummed because at ATP last year, criterion showed a bunch of their upcoming releases included putney swope with a q/a with robert downey sr afterwards - and he implied that they were also going to be releasing some of his commercials and the q/a would also be an extra making me think it was getting a full blu-ray release.

they also showed a non - dvd version of the film :(

fun fact: robert downey sr dubbed the voice for swope because the actor never learned his lines.

swoon

i've only seen a couple of things, and a lot of his work is 60s experimental film stuff, but swope is worth tracking down. it's really great.

FnordChan

i'm kinda bummed because at ATP last year, criterion showed a bunch of their upcoming releases included putney swope with a q/a with robert downey sr afterwards - and he implied that they were also going to be releasing some of his commercials and the q/a would also be an extra making me think it was getting a full blu-ray release.

Shit, now I'm just going to be disappointed that we aren't getting a deluxe Blu-ray edition of Putney Swope.

fun fact: robert downey sr dubbed the voice for swope because the actor never learned his lines.

Robert Downey Sr. rules.

FnordChan

This won't make any sense unless you've ever hung around criterionforum.org, but it's like they hired swimminghorses to do it.

At least swimminghorses had an ounce of style :(
These font choices are so fucking awful, it's like this months designers have intentionally tried to one-up The Great Dictator in horrible design

Since one bad piece of work makes one a hack?
To clarify, The Great Dictator can't possibly be bad simply because he has produced other, far greater work?
Is this actually what you're trying to say?

see5harp

I want an upgrade of La Haine and don't find the art for Being John Malkovich that bad really. Still no word on my order from last week.

Top Bottom