• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

Very nice. Just grabbed Fanny & Alexander and The Rules of the Game. Now I'll just have to find the time to rewatch F&A. : |

Sleepy

Amazon had a good price for World on a Wire a few weeks back so I pre-ordered it.

When is the next B&N sale?

Also, after checking out the DVD/Blu-ray caps on some older movies, I think I may just go the DVD route. Cheaper, and not that much of a difference...at least to my eyes.

XShagrath

I sent Jon Mulvaney an email about 3-4 weeks ago about the audio issue with the White blu-ray (from the Three Colors trilogy). I just got a reply from him that the new discs are in, and in order to get a replacement, you need to send in your disc. They'll send out a corrected one, along with a $10 GC to criterion.com.

If you sent them an email when Three Colors first came out, be sure to check for that email.

omgkitty

I sent Jon Mulvaney an email about 3-4 weeks ago about the audio issue with the White blu-ray (from the Three Colors trilogy). I just got a reply from him that the new discs are in, and in order to get a replacement, you need to send in your disc. They'll send out a corrected one, along with a $10 GC to criterion.com.

If you sent them an email when Three Colors first came out, be sure to check for that email.

What was wrong with the White disc? I never heard anything about it.

XShagrath

What was wrong with the White disc? I never heard anything about it.

It was mentioned in the other thread, but the problem was that the audio on White was in 2.0 surround, rather than stereo.

I'll probably be swinging by the post office today to get a little disc mailer and pop that bad boy in the mailbox tomorrow.

FnordChan

Well Criterioncast posted a link to the wiki page for Coney Island showing about 30 films it could be.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Criterion release of The Warriors. No, seriously.

Meanwhile, the 2012 release I'm hoping finally makes it out the door is Godfrey Reggio's Qatsi Trilogy, especially Koyaanisqatsi. Here's hoping!

FnordChan

omgkitty

I'd kill for a Le Samourai release on blu, and not that shit they put out in France. I've loved that film ever since I saw it and they could definitely improve over the DVD version. Hell, just give me a box set with all of Melville's films! He's probably one of my favorite directors.

Sleepy

Oi86z.jpg

Could one of these be for The Game?

No, their print has a shredded edge. (ie, it's damaged)

Yet they still knowingly released it when a modern transfer exists that has all sides in tact, they just chose not to use it.

Did they explain their decision? It just seems like a really stupid decision when they are all about preserving film in its true, intended form.

XShagrath

No, their print has a shredded edge. (ie, it's damaged)

Yet they still knowingly released it when a modern transfer exists that has all sides in tact, they just chose not to use it.
Isn't that other "better" version cropped as well, just on a different side? I seem to remember Criterion saying that their print showed a lot more on the top and bottom, and was just showed a little bit less on the one edge.

Here's dvdbeaver's page with screenshots from both discs.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview3/harakiri.htm

To me, the Criterion transfer looks better (clarity-wise), even though it is missing quite a bit of material on the left side. I don't think that's going to detract from the film though, and definitely not enough to be a "horrible transfer" as some have stated in the past.

Isn't that other "better" version cropped as well, just on a different side? I seem to remember Criterion saying that their print showed a lot more on the top and bottom, and was just showed a little bit less on the one edge.

Here's dvdbeaver's page with screenshots from both discs.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview3/harakiri.htm

To me, the Criterion transfer looks better (clarity-wise), even though it is missing quite a bit of material on the left side. I don't think that's going to detract from the film though, and definitely not enough to be a "horrible transfer" as some have stated in the past.

Seems like there is more on both sides in the other transfer but yes, Criterion's looks nicer. I do wonder how that other tranfer, run through Criterion's supervision, would look.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Nappucino said:
Did they explain their decision? It just seems like a really stupid decision when they are all about preserving film in its true, intended form.
Something about they felt their transfer had superior clarity (it doesn't) because it was giving more detail to less image or something (???)

Basically, spin.
The transfer has the rough look of a stereotypically old transfer. Which isn't surprising, because it is an old transfer. Digitally overprocessed appearance, complete with EE, blown out whites, and crushed blacks.

Shochiku transfer looks nice, natural, and filmic. Which is a given, because it was done in 2011. The Criterion transfer is from 2005.

The Shochiku transfer appears to have a very very slight amount missing from the top, you can see it in the subtitle sample comparison image. (the set with "Jinnai look who's talking" etc)

Seems like there is more on both sides in the other transfer but yes, Criterion's looks nicer. I do wonder how that other tranfer, run through Criterion's supervision, would look.
I hope you're not suggesting that you'd like to see Criterion to digitally muck around with a fine looking transfer. O__O

dream

I liked Tiny Furniture. :/

It captured the voice and angst and uncertainty of a generation.

Well, they have the "pop" associated with contrast boosting, but there's also the lost detail to consider as well.

I guess to me the other version feels too smooth, as if someone has taken all the detail in clay and rubbed their hands over it, flattening it. So it seems like there is less detail.

Again, i probably would have to see both in motion to make any final conclusion... but that is what i get from the stills.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I guess to me the other version feels too smooth, as if someone has taken all the detail in clay and rubbed their hands over it, flattening it. So it seems like there is less detail.
That's because of the EE on the Criterion version. It's not detail, you could achieve the same effect by ramping up the sharpness setting on your TV. (but you shouldn't! :<)

I just put a Shochiku/MoC screenshot through a sharpening filter so you can see what I mean: click

Compare that with the Criterion and then the untouched Shochiku/MoC on DVDBeaver.

That's because of the EE on the Criterion version. It's not detail, you could achieve the same effect by ramping up the sharpness setting on your TV. (but you shouldn't! :<)

I just put a Shochiku/MoC screenshot through a sharpening filter so you can see what I mean: click

Compare that with the Criterion and then the untouched Shochiku/MoC on DVDBeaver.

hm..

out of curiosity, what do you think of Criterion's transfers on the blurays of Seven Samurai and Yojimbo?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
70_BD_box_348x490_w128.jpg

Ah, finally! Was going to buy the DVD earlier this year but I'm glad I waited.

swoon

Why haven't they released [an uncropped unshitty version of Landscape in the Mist]?

And "you're the only one that cares about it icarus" is not an acceptable answer.

is the new release of it in the uk cropped? i watched three or four of his movies last year and they are pretty perfect.

my italian three (cosmic's list is pretty perfect)

1. Indiscretion of an American Wife
2. Senso
3. Rome Open City

indiscretion of an american wife/terminal station should be seen by more people.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
indiscretion of an american wife/terminal station should be seen by more people.

Yeah, I need to get around to this one sometime. A Brief Vacation was pretty decent, too, if memory serves (although that was put out on their not-quite-good-enough HVE label way back when).

omgkitty

Criterion have added Le Havre and Weekend to their Hulu page. This is awesome news for me as I was going to try and make time to go see Le Havre in town, but it looks like I can watch it online. You can find the full list here. There seem to be a lot of great titles added this time.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I actually really disliked The Man Without a Past too but this somehow managed to be quite inferior to that. Why do both films have awful benefit shows? Is that the joke? Either way I just wanted to throw stuff at the screen.

Top Bottom