• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

swoon

that czech box set has Daises, which is one of my favorite films. i'd hope that it would get a stand alone release, but alas. still that box set looks amazing.

also that hollis frampton set is a big let down because it doesn't complete his big film cycle.

though it has nostalgia

I think the numbers on that infographic are wrong. There are 26 Kurosawa films released by criterion, 18 by Ozu. I didn't check the others, but some of them are probably off as well.

Getting Late Spring for sure. About time Ozu got a blu-ray release by Criterion.

I would die for Floating Weeds, which was in color, and really benefited from it (I'll settle for Late Spring, though).

why isn't rashomon on bd in NA yet? i really have to import it?

The problem is that Criterion is limiting Blu-ray releases to something like 5 or 7 per month and that includes films they're releasing for the first time as well as the back catalog, so it will be a while before they get to everything.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Sheee-it, Masters of Cinema continues to bring it:

April 2012 - 3 editions altogether... i.) UGETSU MONOGATARI / OYU-SAMA DF upgrade, ii.) SANSHO DAYU / GION BAYASHI DF upgrade.

April 2012 (cont.) iii.) Three films by Alfred Hitchcock: LIFEBOAT (1944) inc. AVENTURE MALGACHE and BON VOYAGE all in 1080p - Dual Format.

June 2012 - DOUBLE INDEMNITY (Billy Wilder, 1944) - Blu-ray only.

PLUS!: June 2012 - THE LOST WEEKEND (Billy Wilder, 1945) - Blu-ray only!

There will be SteelBooks of LIFEBOAT, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, DOUBLE INDEMNITY, and THE LOST WEEKEND.

Carl Theodor Dreyer's LA PASSION DE JEANNE D'ARC / Jeanne d'Arcs lidelse og død / The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) (Just to clarify. We'll be working on Dreyer's LA PASSION DE JEANNE D'ARC all year. It will *not* be released this Spring. Looking like 2013)

moc_weekend.jpg
moc_double.jpg

moc_lifeboat.jpg

omgkitty

Ugh I really hate the fact that MoC releases are region-locked just like I know most people hate the fact that Criterion's are the same.

Double Indemnity ? Lost Weekend ? Dreyer ? Nice !

I would be even more excited if I had'nt about 8 movies ordered from them that are apparently in limbo though.

Shiv47

Ugh I really hate the fact that MoC releases are region-locked just like I know most people hate the fact that Criterion's are the same.

If the studios don't stipulate it in contracts, MoC always releases region-free. They've stated repeatedly how ludicrous they find region coding, but can't do much about it.

Sleepy

Just finished Branded to Kill; how can House make sense, but this movie frustrate me to no end? I get a bit of French New Wave in the editing, but it was just a chore to get through.

Sleepy

What didn't you like about it?

Initially, I would say some of the formalist aspects and the narrative structure put me off. I found it a bit difficult to follow. Also, the middle scene at Misako's was just annoying. I wouldn't say I didn't like it, but that it frustrated my attempts to understand it. I kept thinking there was some idiosyncrasy of Japanese narrative structure I would need to understand to fully follow the film.

Have you seen Tokyo Drifter yet?
If not, don't. If you struggled with Branded then TD will be entirely incomprehensible I would imagine.

Visually it was quite enjoyable, with all of the color coding, but I don't think there was any real substance. I mostly agree with Help Me! about Branded to Kill yet I could more readily see myself going back to watch that movie again rather than Tokyo Drifter. Regardless of its shortcomings I think it at least attempted to be something more than visually appealing pulp.

Sleepy

I could more readily see myself going back to watch that movie again rather than Tokyo Drifter.

I thought about trading BtK in at Amazon, but I will watch it again at some point. Maybe when I have a better understanding of Japanese cinema. And I will try to watch Tokyo Drifter, I'm just not going to blind buy it like I did BtK. So many Criterions that I want it kinda pisses me off that I took a chance with that one...

I thought about trading BtK in at Amazon, but I will watch it again at some point. Maybe when I have a better understanding of Japanese cinema. And I will try to watch Tokyo Drifter, I'm just not going to blind buy it like I did BtK. So many Criterions that I want it kinda pisses me off that I took a chance with that one...

I've seen my fair share of Japanese movies and I didn't get it either. I think it's more a product of its genre than a product of Japan. On the bright side, if you decide you want to trade in Branded to Kill down the line, because it's Criterion, there's a good chance it will hold its value.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
So many Criterions that I want it kinda pisses me off that I took a chance with that one...

Which yet again begs the question: why do so many people willingly drop $20 on one thing they're unsure about rather than, say, $8 - $10 to be able to check out as many Criterions as you can handle with Hulu and/or Netflix?

Alucrid

Banned
Which yet again begs the question: why do so many people willingly drop $20 on one thing they're unsure about rather than, say, $8 - $10 to be able to check out as many Criterions as you can handle with Hulu and/or Netflix?

Blu Ray

I thoroughly enjoyed Tokyo Drifter.

Sleepy

Physical media whore? I can tell you that I will probably be a bit more selective with blind buys. And Kilgore makes a good observation about Criterion value...I bought it for 20 and can trade it for 13.50. So I don't feel that I got that ripped off.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
That isn't a good reason, and barely a legitimate one. Are you that incapable of enjoying the content of a movie on DVD? It isn't as though we've spent a great deal of time shunning any and all media that wasn't available in retina-searing resolutions; this is a pretty recent (and dismaying) phenomenon.

Secondly, there are a lot of Criterion and Eclipse films in 720p on Hulu, and some on Netlifx streaming. Many physical Blu-rays are available through Netflix (even more from Blockbuster Online).

Just sayin', it's weird to throw the money at things you don't even know you'll like when there are multiple viewing options at a fraction of the cost.

Sleepy

Just sayin', it's weird to throw the money at things you don't even know you'll like when there are multiple viewing options at a fraction of the cost.

I never said it wasn't weird, just minorly justified by my illogical reasons. I will most likely keep it in my collection.

swoon

i guess that's why i never understood the backlash against physical media netflix - it has the best selection and is fast.

Sleepy

Tiny Furniture received an A from Entertainment Weekly. I can't decide to buy or not. Maybe I will watch it first. ;)

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux

If you want to sell it shipped below Criterion half off price shipped to Austin, let me know.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I was surprised to see the $10 credit, and it, along with the sale, will probably push me to make my first Criterion purchase. I've been interested in House for a while now.

Ridley327

I have no idea why Criterion wasn't expecting a mad rush on their website today, but there are errors popping all over the place. I did manage to get my order through, though, so it is possible!

My pick-ups (all Blu, of course):
Branded to Kill
Tokyo Drifter
Godzilla
Kuroneko (I loved Onibaba, so this seemed like a no-brainer)

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
They always do this, there's always 2 that I really want but need to get 3 to get free shipping! And the third one I want isn't released yet! This is like, the worst first world problem EVER. I went with 8 1/2 and Harakiri. Last Temptation was the 3rd I wanted but since it's not out I went with High & Low as the third.

omgkitty

I think I'm going to avoid this sale. I do have the $10 credit and considered picking up Three Outlaw Samurai for $5, but I can't even get to checkout. I'm getting a Vita next week regardless so I think I should save my money.

I am considering getting the Late Ozu set. Every movie on that set is amazing, and it would be my first Eclipse set. Hopefully the site is working better later.

Top Bottom