• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Yt4GxH5.jpg

Awesome.
That's pretty weak, I would've given them more points if they had the guitarist from Kiss peeking out of that hole though.

I just got my order of Nashville and Slacker, woo.

Bonethug

Criterion GAF recommend me a blu to pick up.
Each year for Christmas I pick up one Criterion blu-ray.
Help me pick out one for this year.

Have: Seven Samurai, Traffic and Benjamin Button

Was thinking about On the Waterfront or 12 Angry Men.

Thanks

Guzim

Criterion GAF recommend me a blu to pick up.
Each year for Christmas I pick up one Criterion blu-ray.
Help me pick out one for this year.

Have: Seven Samurai, Traffic and Benjamin Button

Was thinking about On the Waterfront or 12 Angry Men.

Thanks

You honestly can't go wrong with either one. As of right now, I say On the Waterfront.

omgkitty

Almost time for a new thread! Exciting stuff. I'll be creating one in the coming week or so and I'll post a link to it here when it's up.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Almost time for a new thread! Exciting stuff. I'll be creating one in the coming week or so and I'll post a link to it here when it's up.

New thread isn't just going to be Criterion any more, right? There are definitely enough rival labels in the US and UK to warrant expanding the topic officially.

omgkitty

New thread isn't just going to be Criterion any more, right? There are definitely enough rival labels in the US and UK to warrant expanding the topic officially.

Yeah I can do that. Besides Criterion, what else do we need? I was thinking probably Masters of Cinema, Arrow Films, Cohen Film Collection and Olive Films. Am I missing anything? Obviously I'm only going to include boutique film distributors.

codhand

Yeah I can do that. Besides Criterion, what else do we need? I was thinking probably Masters of Cinema, Arrow Films, Cohen Film Collection and Olive Films. Am I missing anything? Obviously I'm only going to include boutique film distributors.

i have an unhealthy Flicker Alley obsession,

n8W1R7A.png

also Twilight Time, BFI, KINO.

BearChair

I know its technically 2014, but the new thread isn't up yet.

Here is the 2014 teaser image
wackynewyear_2014.jpg

Scanners seems like the most obvious. Any other ideas?

swoon

hopefully it's a demy box and i suspect a blank eclipse set?

also does anyone really like demy outside of umbrellas? donkey skin is awful and its weird that they aren't hinting his other well known movie - young girls of rochefort which i don't really like but it's more fun visually than his early stuff that i've seen.

hopefully it's a demy box and i suspect a blank eclipse set?

also does anyone really like demy outside of umbrellas? donkey skin is awful and its weird that they aren't hinting his other well known movie - young girls of rochefort which i don't really like but it's more fun visually than his early stuff that i've seen.

I love love love Donkey Skin but it might be a childhood thing. Ridiculous but sweet. And the songs are fantastic (the love cake recipe is great and the secret dreams of a prince and a princess makes me well up).

Other than that, Lola of course. Some people love his last film (Trois places pour le 26) which I find utterly terrible.

Une chambre en ville is on my watchlist.

All in all his wife has a much better fimography !

swoon

I love love love Donkey Skin but it might be a childhood thing. Ridiculous but sweet. And the songs are fantastic (the love cake recipe is great and the secret dreams of a prince and a princess makes me well up).

Other than that, Lola of course. Some people love his last film (Trois places pour le 26) which I find utterly terrible.

Une chambre en ville is on my watchlist.

All in all his wife has a much better fimography !

i haven't seen lola - so i guess i could be off base, he just seems so slight and dull in comparison to his peers and yes, his wife who we'd be a lot better off getting 4 of her films.

David Ehrlich of Film.com says It's A Wonderful Life's not being hinted here; other suggestions from Criterion Forum include Breaking the Waves and Kikujiro.

Excited about Demy and Tati boxes, as well as the Beatles movie (some say Phase IV, too) and some flick based around a sun (Red Sun. Under the Sun of Satan, A Brighter Summer Day).

omgkitty

So before I make a new thread, I need to know if people actually look at the OP. Obviously I'd need to do some changes to it, and not sure how much people actually care about it. I'm sure it's more useful for people just popping in who don't normally come to the thread, but I'm not sure how many people that is. I like putting the covers in the OP, but I feel like upcoming titles are much harder to track for all the other companies outside of Criterion. Most of the other companies sites are absolute trash, and finding upcoming titles is a real bitch. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BearChair

So before I make a new thread, I need to know if people actually look at the OP. Obviously I'd need to do some changes to it, and not sure how much people actually care about it. I'm sure it's more useful for people just popping in who don't normally come to the thread, but I'm not sure how many people that is. I like putting the covers in the OP, but I feel like upcoming titles are much harder to track for all the other companies outside of Criterion. Most of the other companies sites are absolute trash, and finding upcoming titles is a real bitch. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Other than when I discovered this post, I've never looked at the OP.

If the plan is to broaden out beyond Criterion for 2014 to other art house releases, then go ahead and focus on Criterion there but make it clear other releases are welcome.

My only fear is that by being clear that the thread is more than just Criterion in 2014, things are going to get too complicated and confusing. The way things are now, the people that post here know that other art house releases are welcome, and it still works.

I just don't want people posting about the new Hobbit Blu Ray in here in 2014. Not that there is anything wrong with it, its just that is not what this thread is for.

I know that sounds exclusionary and elitist, sorry.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
How many Hulot movies were there, three? I have Playtime but it would be great to have a new set since it went out of print for everyone else.

I know some would love to see you branch out, but the core of this thread is Criterion, and that's what attracted me to this thread in the first place.

I agree with the poster above: Criterion should remain the OP, but discussion about other brands encouraged.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I feel like upcoming titles are much harder to track for all the other companies outside of Criterion. Most of the other companies sites are absolute trash, and finding upcoming titles is a real bitch. Does anyone have any suggestions?

An elaborate OT is a waste of time, imo; no one looks at it after the first page.

As for the other boutique labels, their release slates are generally announced in similar scheduled fashion as with Criterion, just not as frequently. Any movie/dvd site worth its salt publish them along with the usual news, but tbh a number of us here always post the slates anyway, so it's nothing you'd need to go hunting for.

And like I've said in the past, I do think those labels need to be at least inferred in the topic title (indie, arthouse, boutique, whatever you care to call them) and made a specific aspect of the new thread because even though Criterion is the household name, those other labels have consistently been beating the big C at their own game...

According to the Mondo Digital review, Thief's sped-up sequence has been fixed back to its original state. Seems like the best compromise between the director's cut and theatrical version, since we also have the extra beach scene.

For the new OT, simply summarizing each label, listing their usual announcement schedules, and putting in cover thumbnails/links for new releases should work.

mattiewheels

The Nashville blu is great. I saw this when i was a lot younger but it glanced right off me. Watching it now, it's one of the most accomplished films I think I've ever seen. I wonder if Criterion can get the rights to Brewster McCloud.

Top Bottom