• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

swoon

hah, I was literally about to post that deal. It's an pretty fantastic set; I used to have that and the Ford at Fox one but got rid of both to help pay for my move to Seattle. :\

yea, i really want the ford at fox set - i regret not buying it at costco for cheap a few months back.

i'm picking this up - though the comments about the packaging being huge and awful have me worried.

heads up for the next hour:

murnau, borzage at fox set is 99 at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EZE5E2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

films are :

Lazybones, Street Angel, 7th Heaven, Sunrise, Lucky Star, They Had To See Paris, City Girl, Liliom, After Tomorrow, Young America, Song O' My Heart, Bad Girl

Everyone jump on this, absolutely incredible set outside of the packaging which can be a bit wonky despite it's very beautiful design. Is also worth noting that Masters of Cinema put out wonderful region free editions of City Girl and Sunrise on blu-ray.
City Girl
Sunrise

Does the sale end today? If so I might go grab the Cassavetes blu-ray set with the coupon mentioned above.

big ander

TCM is having a big box set sale:

http://shop.tcm.com/?v=tcm_sale-3&ecid=EMC-TCM-000531&pa=EMC_TCM_20131130_TCM_BoxSetSale_PMRS

marx brothers, thin man collection, bubsy berkely, val lewton collections for 20.99

they also have wonderful actor collections (the volume 1 of bette davis is a must own) and pre-code wonders as forbidden hollywood and the classic noir movie collections for around the same price for 5-9 dvds.

ooh nice tip. I'm thinking amazon did this just after TCM, but: every one of these I've checked is even cheaper on amazon. Val lewton for $18.50, bette davis v1 for $21.99, forbidden hwd v1 for $16. think I'm getting the last of those I think; i've seen and liked baby face and the other two look fun. was hard to pick between that and Bette Davis.

Yeah snatched the Val Lewton and Legends of horror for $18 on amazon. I'd go with forbidden hollywoods (vol.3 especially) but I have too many single discs already for it to be worth the purchase. Vol. 4 onwards don't have subtitles which is a shame.

And now I have to stop looking at these things cause my family's got to eat.

Edit: oh and that Robin Hood BR is at $3.99 right now on amazon...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Days of Heaven 35mm print showing here the next few nights. Gonna try to make it, but things don't look promising. :\

Picked up The Royal Tenenbaums (B&N didn't have The Killing or Rushmore on them) with the sale and the 30% off coupon yesterday. Too bad money is really tight right now, I probably would have picked up Kiss Me Deadly as well.

overcast

After never having owned any Criterion Collection movies I got these:

Breathless
Solaris
High and Low

Thanks to that sale. So great. Still haven't had time to watch them though.

Shiv47

Zatoichi set is beautiful, both packaging and the transfers, at least of what I've watched so far. To get it during the B&N sale makes it an absolute steal.

codhand

Breathless
Solaris
High and Low

obama.png

XShagrath

I went a little crazy during the sale as well. Also picked up a few from Amazon when they had them on Lightning Deals.

3 Films by Roberto Rossellini
12 Angry Men
Breathless
Fanny & Alexander
Four Feathers
Island of Lost Souls
John Cassavettes Set
Kiss Me Deadly
The Last Emperor
Rules of the Game
Shallow Grave
Three Outlaw Samurai
Weekend (Haigh)
Zatoichi

I think I need help.

omgkitty

I went a little crazy during the sale as well. Also picked up a few from Amazon when they had them on Lightning Deals.

3 Films by Roberto Rossellini
12 Angry Men
Breathless
Fanny & Alexander
Four Feathers
Island of Lost Souls
John Cassavettes Set
Kiss Me Deadly
The Last Emperor
Rules of the Game
Shallow Grave
Three Outlaw Samurai
Weekend (Haigh)
Zatoichi

I think I need help.

This is about what I did when I started getting into Criterions. Pretty sure I bought 10 to 12 during a sale once, but given the inclusion of the Cassavetes set and Zatoichi, you crazy.

XShagrath

This is about what I did when I started getting into Criterions. Pretty sure I bought 10 to 12 during a sale once, but given the inclusion of the Cassavetes set and Zatoichi, you crazy.
Used that Mastercard 30% off coupon on both of those. So Zatoichi was $85 or so after tax, and Cassavettes was under $45.

I think I'm gonna try my best to do some catching up next year (both in watching and purchasing).

Something in this world keeps telling me to buy The Four Feathers Blu, but I can't be bothered. It's a great movie, but it'll be one of the later editions I buy simply because the supplements are slim.

Also: please put something other than London Films up for early UK Hulu streams, Criterion!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm hesitant to buy Frances Ha blind, but I love Squid and the Whale. I was amibiguous to Greenburg. This looks more like a Woody Allen impression, what's it like?

big ander

I'm hesitant to buy Frances Ha blind, but I love Squid and the Whale. I was amibiguous to Greenburg. This looks more like a Woody Allen impression, what's it like?

I'm kinda the inverse of you (cold on Squid and the Whale, like Greenberg) but if you're a Baumbach fan you'll probably come down on the positive side. definitely borrows from Allen, I think a lot of people say Godard too (haven't seen enough to say for sure). whole scene is ripped from Leos Carax basically. Anyway it's good but it's also on netflix instant so I'd say watch it then buy it if you like it.

My recent Haul:
Samurai Trilogy (Mifune)
Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman
The Ballad of Narayama
Videodrome
The Killing
The Darjeeling Limited
Cronos
Rosemary's Baby
Bottle Rocket

(Already own)
Royal Tenenbaums
Rushmore
Repo Man
12 Angry Men

omgkitty

When Le Samourai is announced today, you can all thank me as I just bought it on DVD which of course means it will now be updated.

inm8num2

When Le Samourai is announced today, you can all thank me as I just bought it on DVD which of course means it will now be updated.

That's easily been my top wish for a BD upgrade for some time.

I remember an article/interview about a year ago where CC said to not expect a LS upgrade anytime soon, but hopefully it is coming.

overcast

I really need to see this, so that would be perfect.

Took advantage of B1G1 at Barnes. Grabbed Thin Red Line and Vivre Sa Vie.

Think I have a new addiction..

That would be far more interesting than this Lloyd, which I find inferior to both The Kid Brother and Safety Last (this man hasn't seen anything like Dr. Jack yet, though). I knew it was coming because Criterion's listed the Janus Films poster for sale on their site; Persona's been on iTunes for a while now and Janus is pimping the Sorrentino as much as possible (I've heard good things about Revanche, the last big contemporary release of theirs). And Errol Morris has been a major name in the works, too. The only surprise here is George Washington, for which an upgrade is deserved.

omgkitty

If you like The Hidden Fortress artwork, I'm about 99% sure it's done by Vania, who is a Mondo artist, meaning it will mostly likely get a print at some point close to release. The Persona artwork is simply stunning. I still hate The Great Beauty artwork. It looks cheap, and it's just two different stills from the film photoshopped on top of each other. The original shot of him on the bench would have been much better without the statue behind him.

Top Bottom