• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The Nashville preorder isn't part of the sale, I guess.

omgkitty

Extra discount on B&N sales with these codes

RMN15BN : 15% on the most expensive item (November 5 to 7)
A4J8B7A : ditto (November 7 to 11)
J8R9M4T : ditto (November 7 to 11), maybe a mistake...
R7C7L9A : 20% on the most expensive item (November 14 to 18)
E8W9P3H : 15% on the most expensive item (November 14 to 18)

Should NOT work on the pre-order (sorry Zatoichi)

Guess I'll wait until the 14th to buy the Cassavetes set. Thanks very much sir!

XShagrath

:\ It worked when I used it yesterday.
Coupon usage at BN.com usually works the first day of the sale. Then they realize people are getting some really good prices on things, and nix it.

It happens every single Criterion sale. In-store coupons have always worked throughout the duration of the sale though.

XShagrath

Here's to hoping the rest of the coupons will work online once they're active, if only for a time.
Pretty sure they won't, if past experience is anything to go by. BN totally disables coupon usage on Criterions during the sale.

I'm probably gonna sign up for a 2-month trial membership this weekend. That'll net me an additional 10% off, and also an $8 off $40+ item (hit or miss if this will work with $39.99 titles), as well as a $5 off $50 purchase. Some cashiers will let you stack coupons too.

ngower

Picked up:

Harold and Maude
The Battle of Algiers
Days of Heaven

Plan to pick up Tokyo Story and Frances Ha next week.

My three purchases thus far are Blu Ray upgrades of titles I already own on DVD. On that note, if anyone wants to buy the DVD editions, feel free to PM me.

Also, Seven Samurai is $12 at Wal Mart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Seven-Samurai-Criterion-Collection-Blu-ray-Widescreen/15715534

[EDIT] Seven Samurai was one of many items on Walmart.com that price-glitched. They cancelled my order, but gave me a $10 gift card. WOO!

omgkitty

I finally updated my My Criterion page, and realized I now have over 100 Criterion films. Quite a shock as last time I counted I had around 80.

Game plan:

Rules of the Game
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Night of the Hunter
Either An Autumn Afternoon or Patriotism
Autumn Sonata
El Norte
Life is Sweet

With a trial membership and coupons, that's about a $20-per-product average. Good enough.

EYEL1NER

I can't believe that there is a Zatoichi box set coming out!
I was browsing SD earlier and someone posted the B&N promo and mentioned it was good on pre-orders, listing the box set as a possible good deal. I immediatly rushed to the site to see what was in it and then locked in an order.

It feels like forever ago that I voiced my wish in one of the Criterion threads here (in reality it was probably some time at the beginning of the year) for a Criterion Zatochi set or even individual film releases. I was in the market for the movies on DVD but the price of tracking them all down and the fact that some are hard to find were kind of putting me off. Then I saw the announcement that Criterion would be streaming some of the films on their Hulu channel and though "Fuck, a Zatoichi set would be incredible..."

And here we are a couple weeks out from one releasing.
I so cannot wait for it to come in. I just hope it gets here before Xmas though. I'm glad that there was a 50% off promo too, because if there hadn't been one when I found out about the sets existence I would have paid full price. And B&N has free APO shipping too!

Oh man, such a great morning after I found that out. I love Zatoichi so much. I watched Zatoichi and the Chess Master probably a decade ago on IFC and was hooked ever since then. Nice to see some people ITT picking it up too.

DiscoJon

Banned
Can anyone give me a heads up about the Zatoichi films? I've never seen any of them. I love Japanese Samurai movies and am a huge Kurosawa fan, but I'm not sure about taking the $100+ plunge into that box set.

Speaking of Kurosawa, when the hell is The Hidden Fortress going to be released on Blu-Ray?

EYEL1NER

Can anyone give me a heads up about the Zatoichi films? I've never seen any of them. I love Japanese Samurai movies and am a huge Kurosawa fan, but I'm not sure about taking the $100+ plunge into that box set.

Speaking of Kurosawa, when the hell is The Hidden Fortress going to be released on Blu-Ray?
I'll let some of the bigger film buffs in here explain it, because a review of the film series coming from me would just be full of gushing and praise and no real info, just a bunch of "It's so awesome!" "Shintaro Katsu is such a badass!" "They are such great movies!!!"

Zatoichi's basically the biggest grab-bag series of chanbara flicks one can buy (now, anyway, through this box-set). The main character's this blind masseuse with uncanny ken and swordplay to match; he finds himself in a wide array of scenarios generally mixing melodrama and dramatic action. Better yet, the Daiei studio directors who made the films went on to direct many of the country's best genre hits in the late '60s and '70s—folks like Kazuo Mori, Kenji Misumi, and Kihachi Okamoto. There's a fuck-ton of talent coagulating in this franchise, coming right down to Shintaro Katsu in the titular role doing his best blind-man impression (as if these movies weren't stylized enough already!). It's all solid stuff, nary a definitive "bad" entry throughout (there's some disappointing ones, to be sure).

The best way to decide if you want this box is to watch these movies for free via Hulu and/or Hulu+ (the latter allows for TV-box streaming). Criterion's had them up like this for a while, so this is a good time to watch some before they do a paywall trick.

codhand

Zatoichi's basically the biggest grab-bag series of chanbara flicks one can buy (now, anyway, through this box-set). The main character's this blind masseuse with uncanny ken and swordplay to match; he finds himself in a wide array of scenarios generally mixing melodrama and dramatic action. Better yet, the Daiei studio directors who made the films went on to direct many of the country's best genre hits in the late '60s and '70s, folks like Kazuo Mori, Kenji Misumi, and Kihachi Okamoto. There's a fuck-ton of talent coagulating in this franchise, coming right down to Shintaro Katsu in the titular role doing his best blind-man impression (as if these movies weren't stylized enough already!). It's all solid stuff, nary a definitive "bad" entry throughout (there's some disappointing ones, to be sure).

The best way to decide if you want this box is to watch these movies for free via Hulu and/or Hulu+ (the latter allows for TV-box streaming). Criterion's had them up like this for a while, so this is a good time to watch some before they do a paywall trick.

thanks dude, very insightful.

omgkitty

image.php

STOP CHANGING YOUR AVATAR ALL THE TIME! GEEZE

Yeah fuck that. People with changing avatars are WORSE than people with no avatar. And dont' get me started on the one changing their handle...

lupin23rd

I pre-ordered Zatoichi, and also ended up ordering Sansho the Bailiff, Rashomon, and the eclipse set Oshima's Outlaw Sixties.

Anyone have any insight into the quality of the films in any of the other Japanese eclipse sets? I was also considering the First Movies of Kurosawa set, Kenzo Mizoguchi's Fallen Women, and Masaki Kobayashi's Against the System.

I suspect I will eventually buy them all but will do it slowly as I just noticed they are all on Hulu, although I'm in Canada so I have to jump through hoops to get at Hulu in the first place.

I already own Nikkatsu Noir and was hoping there were more of those types of movies around, but I suspect most of them are single releases which I already own.

Why haven't they released it yet?! I don't know, because it's positively magical and they kind of already have.
Second Run's released it on Region B DVD, and they're just about the best label for Eastern European cinema in terms of video quality and availability. Of course, there's the whole region-locking crap to deal with, and I agree: Criterion should put out a Blu of it ASAP. Movie's too popular amongst the Criterion crowd for there to be an absence.

Anyone have any insight into the quality of the films in any of the other Japanese eclipse sets? I was also considering the First Movies of Kurosawa set, Kenzo Mizoguchi's Fallen Women, and Masaki Kobayashi's Against the System.

Early Kurosawas range from decent (Sanshiro Sugata) to why-bother (The Most Beautiful); the Mizoguchis should all be great; early Kobayashi is uneven, especially when you've got The Thick-Walled Room and Black River up against Youth of the Son and Beautiful Days.

I suspect I will eventually buy them all but will do it slowly as I just noticed they are all on Hulu, although I'm in Canada so I have to jump through hoops to get at Hulu in the first place.

If you can, get Hulu first: it's more work, but it won't have you blind-buying poorly-preserved, sometimes lazily-transferred prints of old Japanese films.

I already own Nikkatsu Noir and was hoping there were more of those types of movies around, but I suspect most of them are single releases which I already own.
I'm more into single releases and supplement-laden box-sets nowadays, mainly because I can use Hulu for everything the Eclipse series offers. Criterion probably recognizes this since they're simply porting stuff already on their channel to Eclipse, which is pointless.

NEWSFLASH:: Night of the Hunter's going OOP according to a database CrtierionForum users trust.

I pre-ordered Zatoichi, and also ended up ordering Sansho the Bailiff, Rashomon, and the eclipse set Oshima's Outlaw Sixties.

The Late Ozu set is one of the best purchases I've ever made. All of the films in it deserve mainline releases. The Mizoguchi set has some great films in it too, namely Street of Shame and Sisters of Gion.

Travels with Hiroshi Shimizu is also worth investigating.

Anastasia

I second Kilgore Trout's recommendation of the Late Ozu and Mizoguchi sets. I recently picked up Silent Naruse. Naruse was a wonderful director, and is not always mentioned along with the more popular Kurosawa, Ozu, etc., but worth exploring just as much.

Mizoguchi's Fallen Women - Solid

Late Ozu - Solid

Postwar Kurosawa / First Films of Akira Kurosawa - The Postwar set is wonderful, and all-around better than First FIlms. Worth it for The Idiot alone (though a lot of people don't like that film).

Silent Naruse - Great, love love love this set!

Masaki Kobayashi Against the System - Releases for Kobayashi are harder to come by than some of these other directors, and he made a relatively small number of films. I've seen half the set, but can easily recommend it based on those films, as well as his general consistency. If you were a fan of the amazing Teshigahara set (all three Kôbô Abe adaptations), you might be happy to know that The Thick-Walled Room from this set was a Kôbô Abe screenplay.

The Koreyoshi Kurahara set is your answer for more Nikkatsu, though his films are fucking bananas. The closest thing in this set to Nikkatsu Noir is Intimidation. The other crime films (Warped Ones, Black Sun) in the set are heavily jazz-focused, and the rest are a romcom (I Hate But Love), and a suspense-thriller (Thirst for Love), both featuring Ruriko Asaoka at her best.

omgkitty

Every year I order some films from the B&N website, and every year I get annoyed when it takes a week for my package to arrive. What makes it worse is that the shipping facility is only one state over from me.

Every year I order some films from the B&N website, and every year I get annoyed when it takes a week for my package to arrive. What makes it worse is that the shipping facility is only one state over from me.

It takes about 2 months on average to receive a package from them. I'm guessing they're sending swimmers across the Atlantic.

It would probably be cheaper and quicker if I bought them for you and shipped them myself.

The downside would be lost/damaged packages, B&N's customer service is slow and dumb but they do the job and replace the discs eventually.

Otherwise I wouldn't mind setting up a trade route going both ways for Criterion and Masters of Cinema!

Speaking of european releases. Amazon spain briefly listed the newly released Cassavetes BR boxset for 18€. Managed to order one... Let's see if it comes through. They did the same last month in France (15€) but promptly canceled... No news good news ?

Edit:
Status = Enviado
HORA PREVISTA DE ENTREGA: Viernes 15 nov 2013 antes de las 18:30 horas

ha ha ha

695_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Blue is the Warmest Color (special edition coming later)

700_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

Fantastic Mr. Fox (spine 700, of course)

696_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

Foreign Correspondent

281_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

Jules and Jim DF

698_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

King of the Hill

697_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

Tess

—Solid month here.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Turrell: "So here are the animated films from an 80 year period that we have access to. We need to decide which one will be our firs--"
Wes Anderson: "Sup dudes, just stopping by with some fresh cronuts for my homies."
Turrell: "Ok guys, Fantastic Mr. Fox it is."

The Underneath being an extra on King of the Hill is a pretty huge thing considering Soderbergh had pretty much disowned it. That's gonna be one of the best values in the collection now.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
February looks seriously brutal. Five of those seven releases are must-haves for me, the most probably in any month in memory.

Looks like Blue is the Warmest Color will be a "barebones" release with a special edition to follow later? Kind of a bummer, guess I'll have to hold off on that.

Also of note, Breathless getting re-issued! It went "oop" a couple months back, as many have theorized I think to clear out existing stock to make room for the new dual-format release (this will be the first Criterion film to have been previously released separately as both a DVD and Blu-ray but receive a new dual-format release).

Foreign Correspondent also getting its first HD release, good to see one of the more forgotten Hitchcocks getting some attention, basically all of his pre-1940 stuff is basically banished to shitty public domain releases (including Blackmail, one of my personal favorites that has never gotten a decent release of any sort really).

swoon

maybe because i love criss cross so much, underneath is the biggest fucking disappointment.

cowboy mouth, though.

tess might be worse though.

Worse yet, they've forgotten to list spine 699! What a weird month. Shame that we couldn't get a Criss Cross/The Underneath double-bill edition instead of this. I'm not surprised they're sticking with the Anderson feature before delving into other animated stuff.

Top Bottom