• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
So I've never seen a Rohmer film, nor have I heard of any of them :\ Where would I start?

e7gb3Lw.jpg

swoon

This is highly subjective but a frequent favorite would be Claire's Knee.

Les nuits de la pleine lune, le Rayon Vert, la Collectionneuse, Conte d'automne, Ma nuit chez Maud... They're almost all great to be honest.

Swoon will probably be able to provide a more educated piece of advice (I haven't seen them all).

Edit: beaten / great minds... and that sort of things :p

i haven't seen them all either, though i should finish the main ones i haven't seen up this year.

conte d'hiver might be my favorite, though it's also the last one by him i've watched. my night at maud's or l'ami de mon amie might be the best places to start to get a feel for his style.

There's just so much coming out in November with the console launches, I'm having a really hard time deciding if I can afford any Criterion releases. Very disappointed as I have 4 or 5 titles I'd really like to pickup during the sale.

we should all be ps3/4 buddies, obviously.

omgkitty

i haven't seen them all either, though i should finish the main ones i haven't seen up this year.

conte d'hiver might be my favorite, though it's also the last one by him i've watched. my night at maud's or l'ami de mon amie might be the best places to start to get a feel for his style.

we should all be ps3/4 buddies, obviously.

You would all be proud to see how much time I spend watching movies and Netflix on my PS3 instead of actually playing games.

Cross posting from the BR thread:

Just a heads up.

Intolerance blu by Cohen Media (which seems to be pretty damn amazing) is on pre-order at $27.22 on deepdiscount (normal price is around $45...)

Other stuff (all blu-rays):

Vanishing Point
: $9.23
Kidnapped (Bava - Kino): $12.34
Rolling Thunder: $12.70
The Stunt Man: $15.21
Jiro Dreams of Sushi: $11.87

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've always wanted to see Intolerance...so why is it $45 for 1 disc, when their Thief of Bagdhad blu is $20?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The restoration was also done in-house, which was likely not cheap... Still, it's a small blunder that their initial press release had the MSRP at $35 for the Blu.

omgkitty

Yay or nay on the Cassavetes set? I've never seen any of his films, and it seems most people were disappointed they couldn't buy The Killing of a Chinese Bookie separately. Is it worth it at $62 or whatever it will be?

For a Blu set half-off, it's an incredible bargain. I started with Faces and can't wait to return to the director (thinking Minnie and Moskowitz is next). Whether it's a better deal than the Zatoichi box, I don't know.

omgkitty

For a Blu set half-off, it's an incredible bargain. I started with Faces and can't wait to return to the director (thinking Minnie and Moskowitz is next). Whether it's a better deal than the Zatoichi box, I don't know.

Even at that price I can't afford the Zatoichi set right now. I'm just trying to figure out what I need and don't. I don't have a lot of extra money this month, so I'm only getting what I know I want, and I'm on the fence on the Cassavetes set. Right now I know for sure I want Eyes Without a Face, La Notte, Frances Ha, City Lights and Tokyo Story.

Yay or nay on the Cassavetes set? I've never seen any of his films, and it seems most people were disappointed they couldn't buy The Killing of a Chinese Bookie separately. Is it worth it at $62 or whatever it will be?

Cassavetes might be the best American director ever.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
need to see more of his stuff, really liked woman under the influence
Faces is one of the finest films I've ever seen, and Killing of a Chinese Bookie is really sad and beautiful. If you liked Woman, you should see all of em.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Search/Guided/kino?ed=4293664457

crazy Kino Lorber sale, i picked up the Buster Keaton set for just over $100

Edit : you can disregard my post entirely, didn't see the whole boxset was sold there too !

Make sure you're not better off buying the whole boxset here

It's more expensive but if I'm not mistaken you'd get sherlock / three ages + the shorts (!!!!) + Go West / Battling Butler + the "lost" shorts. And save space...

codhand

Edit : you can disregard my post entirely, didn't see the whole boxset was sold there too !

Make sure you're not better off buying the whole boxset here

It's more expensive but if I'm not mistaken you'd get sherlock / three ages + the shorts (!!!!) + Go West / Battling Butler + the "lost" shorts. And save space...

cool, here's what it says

Product Notes - All of the Kino Classics' Ultimate Edition releases are now together in one super-sized high definition boxed set. This Blu-ray exclusive set includes the following "Ultimate Edition" releases of: BUSTER KEATON: SHORT FILMS COLLECTION: 1920-1923, THE SAPHEAD (1920), OUR HOSPITALITY (1923) SHERLOCK JR. / THREE AGES (1923 / 1924), THE NAVIGATOR (1924), SEVEN CHANCES (1925), GO WEST / BATTLING BUTLER (1925 / 1926), THE GENERAL (1926), COLLEGE (1927) (exclusive to the box set until 2013), STEAMBOAT BILL, JR. (1928) AND LOST KEATON (1934-1937) You Save: $195.07 (65%)

http://www.dvdplanet.com/buy/bluray/ultimate-buster-keaton-collection-15-discs_2504526

Yup, that's the one.. Should be great.

It was a pretty sweet deal when I ordered it on deepdiscount so I'd say $35 cheaper is an amazing deal. I never ordered from dvd planet though. And since I'm outside the US the shipping/custom stuff is always a concern. I'll ask around to see if they're reliable for international orders.

Oh by the way, not much on the B&N criterion sale so far. But the Zaitochi boxset is in ($112).

omgkitty

Anyone ever have any issues with Criterion's site just not loading pages correctly? Every once in a while when I try to get to the site on my work computer, I just get plain HTML text on every page. It's a real pain in the ass.

So what is everyone getting in the sale? I still haven't decided on that Cassavetes set.

Is it just me or is hardly anything on sale? Sans soleil, Sweet Smell of Success, Videodrome and the eclipse sets are all full price. Hopefully they'll fix that.

I'm think of getting Tokyo Story, Sans soleil, Silent Naruse at the moment.

omgkitty

Is it just me or is hardly anything on sale? Sans soleil, Sweet Smell of Success, Videodrome and the eclipse sets are all full price. Hopefully they'll fix that.

I'm think of getting Tokyo Story, Sans soleil, Silent Naruse at the moment.

The first day or so is always a shit show with the B&N website. Half of the links don't work, titles that are available for preorder are priced on sale. It's always this way. I usually just end up going to the store. Ends up being less of a hassle than dealing with their terrible website.

Current state of my wishlist :

- The Phantom Carriage
- Lonesome
- Orpheus
- Revanche
- I married a witch
- Les yeux sans visage
- Marketa Lazarova
- Safety Last
- Seconds
- Medium cool
- Repulsion
- Down by law
- The tin drum
- The music room
- If...
- Frances Ha
- Nashville
- Yi Yi
- Dazed and Confused
- Ivan’s Childhood

I'll choose 3 amongst the bolded

omgkitty

Current state of my wishlist :

- The Phantom Carriage
- Lonesome
- Orpheus
- Revanche
- I married a witch
- Les yeux sans visage
- Marketa Lazarova
- Safety Last
- Seconds
- Medium cool
- Repulsion
- Down by law
- The tin drum
- The music room
- If...
- Frances Ha
- Nashville
- Yi Yi
- Dazed and Confused
- Ivan’s Childhood

I'll choose 3 amongst the bolded

Revanche is so fucking good.

That's what I'm told (by a lot of people!). And I think there's hardly a chance it'll come out in Europe.

I'll get the Cassavetes boxset over here though. It seems on par or better than the Criterion.

I'd get the French BR of Les yeux sans visage too (same master) but Gaumont omitted a scene which has just been confirmed to be present in the Criterion :/ That'll wait though, I know the film.

omgkitty

That's what I'm told (by a lot of people!). And I think there's hardly a chance it'll come out in Europe.

I'll get the Cassavetes boxset over here though. It seems on par or better than the Criterion.

I'd get the French BR of Les yeux sans visage too (same master) but Gaumont omitted a scene which has just been confirmed to be present in the Criterion :/ That'll wait though, I know the film.

How is it not out in Europe? Spielmann is from Austria :\

Ophuls, Tourneur, Godard, Etaix, Cocteau, Melville and dozens of others. All French, all better distributed in the US than over here.

Get this : Army of Shadows (a very very French film) has been released by StudioCanal (a French company) in the UK. No plans to release it in France.

BR market is a ridiculously small niche over here. Most people still don't know that they can play DVDs on BR players and publishers are wary to get anything out because they're not sure they will sell the ~1000 copies necessary to get even. That's just sad.

omgkitty

Ophuls, Tourneur, Godard, Etaix, Cocteau, Melville and dozens of others. All French, all better distributed in the US than over here.

Get this : Army of Shadows (a very very French film) has been released by StudioCanal (a French company) in the UK. No plans to release it in France.

BR market is a ridiculously small niche over here. Most people still don't know that they can play DVDs on BR players and publishers are wary to get anything out because they're not sure they will sell the ~1000 copies necessary to get even. That's just sad.

Had this problem a few weeks ago. Went over to a friends house to watch a movie, and everyone was like "Uhhh can we watch this DVD on the blu-ray player?" Then they all got mad at me because I couldn't believe how stupid they were, but to be honest they also don't think there's a difference between blu-rays and DVDs, so clearly they're all idiots.

Right now I am going with:

Band of Outsiders
Frances Ha
Zatoichi
John Cassavetes Five Films
Tokyo Story
Pierre Etaix collection

Not sure what else I need to pick up. It feels good having money to buy these movies.

Top Bottom