• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wow, I just saw To Be Or Not To Be first time and it knocked me out. For an early 40s Hollywood comedy, that has to be one of the smartest scripts ever written at the time. Just such a brilliant plot and tone to the movie. I just read what happened to Carol Lombard after that one too, that's the worst.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I just picked the up The Blob (for Halloween), The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, and Slackers. Feel free to weigh in on these purchases.
I'm not sure what the popular consensus is, but I watched The Blob a few months ago for the first time and found it terribly dull--calling it a horror film would be a stretch. I love how saturated the colors are though, despite the picture looking much too dark.

cj_iwakura

Got my Thin Red Line Criterion. Great essays included. Always wanted that one.

Wow, I just saw To Be Or Not To Be first time and it knocked me out. For an early 40s Hollywood comedy, that has to be one of the smartest scripts ever written at the time. Just such a brilliant plot and tone to the movie. I just read what happened to Carol Lombard after that one too, that's the worst.

You should watch Kind Hearts & Coronets. Another brilliantly written classic.

Told you it was the best blind shot you could ever make. I never thought a line containing the words "concentration camp" would have me laughing to tears, repeatedly.

Carol Lombard was so great. Just seen a greatcomedy she was in (although I thought her role was crappy), well worth watching (although nowhere near as good as a Lubitsch comedy) : My Man Godfrey.

Also, if you're on a Lubitsch roll: The shop around the corner.

swoon

Told you it was the best blind shot you could ever make. I never thought a line containing the words "concentration camp" would have me laughing to tears, repeatedly.

Carol Lombard was so great. Just seen a greatcomedy she was in (although I thought her role was crappy), well worth watching (although nowhere near as good as a Lubitsch comedy) : My Man Godfrey.

Also, if you're on a Lubitsch roll: The shop around the corner.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E6ESWG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is a great Carole set - shows off her range and is a stellar price. All of this line is worth picking up really.

Olive is having a 50% sale at Best Buy - Recommend: Trust, Big Combo, Johnny Guitar, High Noon:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/classic-movies-112554?id=pcat17071&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&gf=y&cp=1

big ander

Olive is having a 50% sale at Best Buy - Recommend: Trust, Big Combo, Johnny Guitar, High Noon:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/classic-movies-112554?id=pcat17071&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&gf=y&cp=1

Ugh I held out through the Criterion flash sale but I'm giving in here. Right now the plan is to get Trust, The Unbelievable Truth, Johnny Guitar, and one more.

I am between:
Force of Evil - had only heard of it faintly (which is how I'm sure huac would've like it) but it seems great
China Gate - would mean skipping a Fuller or two in between this and Fixed Bayonets, but I think I'm ok with that for now
Rio Grande - I don't have enough westerns simply, and I haven't seen this one so I'd rather have it than High Noon
Letter from an Unknown Woman - I haven't seen Ophuls and need to, would this be a good starting place before possibly going back to the beginning?

anyone want to push me towards any one of these?

swoon

Ugh I held out through the Criterion flash sale but I'm giving in here. Right now the plan is to get Trust, The Unbelievable Truth, Johnny Guitar, and one more.

I am between:
Force of Evil - had only heard of it faintly (which is how I'm sure huac would've like it) but it seems great
China Gate - would mean skipping a Fuller or two in between this and Fixed Bayonets, but I think I'm ok with that for now
Rio Grande - I don't have enough westerns simply, and I haven't seen this one so I'd rather have it than High Noon
Letter from an Unknown Woman - I haven't seen Ophuls and need to, would this be a good starting place before possibly going back to the beginning?

anyone want to push me towards any one of these?

i love china gate, but it's super campy (even more so than most of fuller films) so it might not be a great blind bind

force of evil is real great as is rio grande, unknown woman is in my top 30, but it's not much like early work or post-american work.

big ander

i love china gate, but it's super campy (even more so than most of fuller films) so it might not be a great blind bind

force of evil is real great as is rio grande, unknown woman is in my top 30, but it's not much like early work or post-american work.

Alright cool, I'm going to go with Force of Evil and save Ophuls for another day

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there a rights reason why Criterion wouldn't ever put out a Kenneth Anger shorts collection? Guess I'd have to import otherwise.

Downhome

I have a number of Criterion DVDs that I'm getting ready to sell off. Would there be any interest at all from anyone here or should I go ahead and list them on eBay or elsewhere? I am just gauging interest, that's all. I am going all Blu-ray finally so I'll just cross my fingers and hope some of these get released on BD eventually.

YLLZZeL.jpg

cj_iwakura

I have a number of Criterion DVDs that I'm getting ready to sell off. Would there be any interest at all from anyone here or should I go ahead and list them on eBay or elsewhere? I am just gauging interest, that's all. I am going all Blu-ray finally so I'll just cross my fingers and hope some of these get released on BD eventually.

YLLZZeL.jpg

Depends on what you're asking, but I wouldn't mind Life of Brian.
No Circle Rouge = :(

Downhome

Eh, that one I'd likely ask for like $10/shipped or so.

No, no Le Cercle Rouge. I unfortunately missed out on that one on Blu-ray as well. I had it on order at Amazon but they ultimately canceled it on me after it went OOP and they never received another shipment to send to me. :(

Looks like Thief is spine 691 according to Criterion Forum (the page wasn't up, but The Housemaid's page linked to 691 for a brief moment).

There is a Michael Mann page now up on their website, though his profile is empty as of right now. There's also a PTA, David Lynch, and Joel Coen (but no Ethan) page, so I'm not sure if there is any relevance to these people profiles, or if they make these after they individual does a special feature on a DVD.

Some of those phantom pages have been around for years, usually for a reason (Hard Eight's been a long time coming from the company).

I'm more excited about their upcoming edition of Sundays and Cybele since that's a film no one's seen in ages.

Some of those phantom pages have been around for years, usually for a reason (Hard Eight's been a long time coming from the company).

I'm more excited about their upcoming edition of Sundays and Cybele since that's a film no one's seen in ages.

How do you know what films they have in their catalogue if they've never released them? WHAT ARE YOUR SECRETS?

Anastasia

I love the Throne of Blood cover. It's one of my favorite Criterion covers.

I think I'm going to pick up Throne of Blood along with Rififi (which also has a fantastic cover).

Blah. Rififi is from the Gaumont master, there might be an upgrade there but nothing really exciting.

Throne of blood and Thief, maybe.

I haven't seen It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World but to be honest I wish it hadn't been announced just so the people at Home Theater Forum would have melted down again. Last month's announcement was one of the most entertaining forum threads I've ever read simply because of how angry people got that it wasn't announced.

That said, out of all those, I've only seen Throne of Blood but I'm interested in some of the others. I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet (or HDTV) so I'm pretty happy that all the releases are gonna be dual format. I understand why Blu-only people might be annoyed though.

mattiewheels

Pretty off topic, but I resubbed to Hulu for the Criterion selection...and did something happen to Hulu in the year or so I've been away? I can't find any other regular section movies besides what seems to be direct-to-dvd type stuff, where did the movies I actually know about go to? At least the CC stuff seems the same.

HoJu

Who asked for It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World? I mean it already has a bluray and the movie is no good.

More Kurosawa love makes me happy. Hopefully 2014 is the Year of Kurosawa since they gypped us this year. Will Buy.

Haven't seen Rifififi yet, but it's a noir and I like noirs so I will buy it.

swoon

it's weird they used the template for those other kaurismaki blu-ray releases for their release

boheemiela_ma_a_blu_ray.jpg

also that they didn't just make a box set.

also weird the extras don't seem to relate to the opera or whatever.

also omgkitty, you missed one!

LateRay_3D_Box_original.png

omgkitty

it's weird they used the template for those other kaurismaki blu-ray releases for their release

boheemiela_ma_a_blu_ray.jpg

also that they didn't just make a box set.

also weird the extras don't seem to relate to the opera or whatever.

also omgkitty, you missed one!

You mean this one?

Edit: Crap you literally just fixed it!

Strange to see mad world come out of nowhere, must have gotten a good deal on distribution...

Good to see another kurosawa release, but where the hell is Ikiru? I Would love to see Dersu Uzala as well, the photography for that film is perfect for blu.

BearChair

Pretty off topic, but I resubbed to Hulu for the Criterion selection...and did something happen to Hulu in the year or so I've been away? I can't find any other regular section movies besides what seems to be direct-to-dvd type stuff, where did the movies I actually know about go to? At least the CC stuff seems the same.

Nope, that's about right. There are basically no "big name" movies on Hulu Plus. If you are into Criterion though, I recommend that you subscribe to its RSS feed. Every Friday it does a post called "What's New on Hulu" and creates a new curated collection on a given theme. The thing is these movies are often new to Hulu Plus but neither Criterion nor Hulu says so. They do not show up on the "New to Criterion" collection on at the bottom of the Criterion section on Hulu Plus.

If you are looking for stuff to watch, Hulu has a ton of great anime, BBC and other foreign TV shows.

Who asked for It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World? I mean it already has a bluray and the movie is no good.
It's a relatively interesting movie in terms of context and the rabid fanbase it's generated over the years, so the supplements would be the big draw. I'll get it on DVD, I guess.

Thief, The Long Day Closes, and Throne of Blood Blu are the important releases here. Still waiting for Cutter's Way!

Top Bottom